• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iidesuyo

Probably a fuel economy averager for import standards. Makes more sense in Europe.

Most A6 over here are TDI anyway. Your typical sales representative car, either silver or black as a wagon, that is bought in large numbers by companies and given to 2nd hand markets after two years.

spwolf

On that note, both versions are rated by the EPA at 22 city/30 highway with the manual transmission, and 25/34 with the automatic. This is with premium fuel.
The automatic fuel economy is solid, but the fuel economy with the manual isn't much better than the V6 Camaro or Mustang, and those weigh about 1000 lbs more and have over 300 hp, and don't require premium.

shorter ratios, touchy throttle will do this to you... I am amazed they got it this good. AT is really good for most of the population.

Zeppelin

I was wondering earlier today... how come there are no real super cars being built in America? Because I can't come up with anything American that's one the same level as Lamborghini or Ferrari etc. Am I missing something here?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was wondering earlier today... how come there are no real super cars being built in America? Because I can't come up with anything American that's one the same level as Lamborghini or Ferrari etc. Am I missing something here?

The market for cars like that is exceedingly small. It's not like Ford sold all of those GTs that it made - it took a couple extra years to get all of them out the door. Saleen had the S7 too, but the big problem here is that supercars are mostly for people who own small countries who want to impress the owners of other small countries.

On that note, both versions are rated by the EPA at 22 city/30 highway with the manual transmission, and 25/34 with the automatic. This is with premium fuel.
The automatic fuel economy is solid, but the fuel economy with the manual isn't much better than the V6 Camaro or Mustang, and those weigh about 1000 lbs more and have over 300 hp, and don't require premium.

I am pretty sure that the EPA messed up with the manual transmission MPG's. They should be the same as the automatic if driven the same way and at the same optimal shift points. Unless the automatic has wildly different gearing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I am pretty sure that the EPA messed up with the manual transmission MPG's. They should be the same as the automatic if driven the same way and at the same optimal shift points. Unless the automatic has wildly different gearing.

That happens all the time though, doesn't it? I've always heard they frequently design manual transmissions in sporty cars with more aggressive gearing on the assumption that people who order the manual *want* more aggressive gearing.

Zeppelin

The market for cars like that is exceedingly small. It's not like Ford sold all of those GTs that it made - it took a couple extra years to get all of them out the door. Saleen had the S7 too, but the big problem here is that supercars are mostly for people who own small countries who want to impress the owners of other small countries.

Yeah, sure it's a small market but I don't see why that would stop anyone. It didn't stop relatively new manufacturers like Pagani and Koenigsegg from popping up and doing pretty well from themselves.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, sure it's a small market but I don't see why that would stop anyone. It didn't stop relatively new manufacturers like Pagani and Koenigsegg from popping up and doing pretty well from themselves.

Well, there are companies that put out a few supercars, it's just that they don't produce enough of them for them to be particularly notable.

That happens all the time though, doesn't it? I've always heard they frequently design manual transmissions in sporty cars with more aggressive gearing on the assumption that people who order the manual *want* more aggressive gearing.

Sometimes, but usually the manual version gets better MPG anyways according to the EPA, whether it be from gearing, extra gears, etc. My 6-spd Acura TL gets about 2-4 MPG better than the 5-spd auto TL, for example.

It's just odd to see the manual version getting worse MPG. I don't see why they'd do more aggressive gearing if the auto is also made for track/fun usage. I'll have to check the gearing and see where they differ.

TylerD

I'm sure there is a considerable difference in the gearing between the manual and auto FR-S and BRZ but I think it is also possible that the shift light indicator may have been tuned higher in the rev range. You can manually adjust it. Still, the manual is better MPG than my V6 Accord and the premium fuel cost isn't going to be that big of a difference. I think that getting a little better fuel mileage out of the manual won't be that hard if you really want to. The impressions of the paddle shift with the auto are really good too so I am going to try it out.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What are you doing to the 335?

Good aftermarket coilovers usually give better ride quality than stock suspension. Note: GOOD aftermarket, like Bilstein or KW.

Yeah. Looking at KW2 adjustables. Or a spring+strut combo like Eibach + Koni which a ton of people go for. I just need to decide if I should get the KONI FSD struts (auto dampening technology adjusts on the fly), or the standard KONI adjustable struts.

Zyzyxxz

Sometimes, but usually the manual version gets better MPG anyways according to the EPA, whether it be from gearing, extra gears, etc. My 6-spd Acura TL gets about 2-4 MPG better than the 5-spd auto TL, for example.

It's just odd to see the manual version getting worse MPG. I don't see why they'd do more aggressive gearing if the auto is also made for track/fun usage. I'll have to check the gearing and see where they differ.

Why do you have 2 TL's? I'd think 1 TL be enough for any family.

Angry Grimace

They've really improved the efficiency of automatic transmission parts; there is no longer an appreciable torque loss, for example (although I know nothing of actual transmission workings beyond what howstuffworks says), and a lot of these cars have like 6, 7 or even 8 forward gears.

Why do you have 2 TL's? I'd think 1 TL be enough for any family.
He isn't saying he has two, he's saying the manual (that he has) gets better MPG than the automatic of the same model.

The American supercars usually tend to be cheaper than European ones.

Dodge Viper
Corvette ZR1
Cadillac CTS-V

Fisker Karma
Tesla Rodster

Kabouter

The American supercars usually tend to be cheaper than European ones.

Dodge Viper
Corvette ZR1
Cadillac CTS-V

Fisker Karma
Tesla Rodster

Fisker Karma is Danish design built in Finland, and isn't a supercar at any rate. Tesla Roadster and Cadillac CTS-V aren't supercars either. I would also add that price is definitely a part of something being a supercar.

It's also because American supercars aren't what you traditionally think of when you think of supercars. We have a completely different design ethos over here in the States, always have.

And there's probably a difference between supercars and exotics, though at that point it's just splitting hairs.

I'll go ahead and say that the FR-S is a little more expensive than it should have been. Still not too expensive, I think, but 22k would have been a nicer price-point.

Yeah, I just hope that a Limited BRZ isn't going to be up in the high 28K range. We are starting to get some real world non-press driving impressions and the general consensus is the interior and materials are much nicer than they may look and the car drives and handles beautifully and feels plenty quick.

That's probably what the limited will end up costing at least. The BRZ was always going to cost more than the FR-S, then you're adding a leather interior on top of that, not even counting the rest of the goodies the limited will have.

ascii42

It's also because American supercars aren't what you traditionally think of when you think of supercars. We have a completely different design ethos over here in the States, always have.

And there's probably a difference between supercars and exotics, though at that point it's just splitting hairs.
Yeah, I'd say that it's exotics where price comes into factor.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What are GAFs thoughts on the Golf TDI, Jetta Sportwagen TDI and 2012 Focus?

My wife is looking to change cars and basically requires the following: 5 door hatchback, manual transmission, good fuel economy, reasonably fun to drive, and reasonable storage space in the back.

She has a 2004 Focus hatch already and is looking to sell it to a friend of hers and then upgrade.

Thoughts?

Scion FR-S priced at 24,930

pricetag.jpg

I had no idea Scion prices are a flat rate. This is not great for the BRZ. I hoped the BRZ would be around 26-7.

Speaking of Scion....the new TC model looks like tepid shit on 4 wheels. I saw a silver one going down the highway and was like...what? Not sure how the new model ended up looking worse than the old model, then I realized it's Toyota.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

My wife is looking to change cars and basically requires the following: 5 door hatchback, manual transmission, good fuel economy, reasonably fun to drive, and reasonable storage space in the back.

She has a 2004 Focus hatch already and is looking to sell it to a friend of hers and then upgrade.

Thoughts?

Almost everyone who buys a "daily driver" in our office gets either a Mazda 3 (five door) or a Golf TDi.

You should look at those two very closely. The former has amazing equipment, feel, ride, and fuel economy (with the new Skyactiv engines) and is quick to boot.

Speaking of Scion....the new TC model looks like tepid shit on 4 wheels. I saw a silver one going down the highway and was like...what? Not sure how the new model ended up looking worse than the old model, then I realized it's Toyota.

Angles make it look faster! considering that the Avensis is not a bad looking car, Toyota done goofed.

The Mazda 3 has perfect reliability on MSN Autos.

dark10x

Almost everyone who buys a "daily driver" in our office gets either a Mazda 3 (five door) or a Golf TDi.

You should look at those two very closely. The former has amazing equipment, feel, ride, and fuel economy (with the new Skyactiv engines) and is quick to boot.
I just can't get over the "goofy grin" look of the current generation of Mazda cars. I used to own a Mazda 6 (2006) myself and quite liked it, but they really dropped the ball this generation stylistically.

We might still give it a spin, though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just can't get over the "goofy grin" look of the current generation of Mazda cars. I used to own a Mazda 6 (2006) myself and quite liked it, but they really dropped the ball this generation stylistically.

We might still give it a spin, though.

You spend 99% of your time inside the car. And it is a good looking car, cheesy grin aside. The Golf has a big butt too. There's always going to be something you don't like about the subjective stuff, but you have to live with the objective stuff. Objectively the Mazda 3 is more reliable than all the others you listed.

I guarantee you'll like driving it, but you'll like driving the TDi too.

I drive a Honda Fit and a Mazda CX7.

J-Rzez

That FR-S/86/BRZ turned out to be a major let down in the performance department, and now they're asking for more money than what they're giving you in the performance department. The BRZ would have possibly been a nice DD, but with the limited probably coming in at 28/29/30k it got shoved into a much larger competitive market. Even with the stripped down FR-S coming in at $25k isn't worth it IMHO. It's a good looking car, with OK MPG (22/30), and I'm sure it's not boring as a Buick to drive, but that price is just too high for what you get.

dark10x

You spend 99% of your time inside the car. And it is a good looking car, cheesy grin aside. The Golf has a big butt too. There's always going to be something you don't like about the subjective stuff, but you have to live with the objective stuff. Objectively the Mazda 3 is more reliable than all the others you listed.

I guarantee you'll like driving it, but you'll like driving the TDi too.

I drive a Honda Fit and a Mazda CX7.
I'll have her give it a shot when we go test driving for sure. I've been curious about the feel of the current 3 for a while now.

That FR-S/86/BRZ turned out to be a major let down in the performance department, and now they're asking for more money than what they're giving you in the performance department. The BRZ would have possibly been a nice DD, but with the limited probably coming in at 28/29/30k it got shoved into a much larger competitive market. Even with the stripped down FR-S coming in at $25k isn't worth it IMHO. It's a good looking car, with OK MPG (22/30), and I'm sure it's not boring as a Buick to drive, but that price is just too high for what you get.

Really, let's not start up on the performance debate again.

"Automotive Discussion Thread"

"This car needs more power."

"I disagree."

"The mustang has way more power at the same price."

"This car isn't supposed to be a mustang."

"At that price-point there should be more power."

"It's worth the trade-off for driving pleasure."

There I saved us a week.

Note: All valid points, to some this car is exactly what they want in a sports car, to others it is lacking and the positives don't make up for the low power output.

ascii42

At least you can get a turbocharged Buick.

Thoughts?
New Focus looks fucking great.

ameratsu

"I disagree."

There I saved us a week.

lol I agree

J-Rzez

"I disagree."

There I saved us a week.

Note: All valid points, to some this car is exactly what they want in a sports car, to others it is lacking and the positives don't make up for the low power output.

Right, to each their own, but I was just commenting my take on it's price. Which I believe is too high for what it is. In it's state, it should be a 25k car loaded at the most. I'm curious to see tests on it to see just how well it performs on the track. I'm skeptical of it's handling and braking actually.

Oh, and how does 50 or so more horses ruin driving pleasure? :p

Angry Grimace

I still laugh at the concept that people somehow buy into the whole "no haggle pricing" thing, as though that phrase means something other than "consumer pays more because he is too cowardly to negotiate"

I'm very happy with the price. The only thing I was disappointed in was the power. Ohhhhhh well. I don't care about it that much.
In less than 3 months I will say goodbye to my 370z, and I will welcome the FR-S with as many options as possible.

For the price, I have no idea what everyone complains about. I am very happy with my pre-order. If anything I just wish I could get it in May.

Every reviewer has deemed it the second coming of god in automotive form. These are the same reviewers who don't hesitate to poop on a car during a review if it deserves it.

I don't know what you guys want/expect.

I have no Idea what color to get. I wanted white, but the red that I have seen in pics make the car look so nice.

White
Red
Silver
Asphalt?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom