• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Eh? A6 starts at $42k, A7 starts at $59k.

I still hate...no...despise the fact that an A6 is even offered with the 2.0T in USA. The 3.0T should be the only motor. Word is that the 2.0T will be axed for the 2013 model here in the US. Realistically, the A6 starts at $49K base with the 3.0T because you can't even buy a 2.0T, it's a special order vehicle and no dealer carries them on their lots. LOL.

Anyways, the 2.0T on a car like the A6 is such a waste. You don't get a whole lot of more room than the A4, it is front-wheel only, you can't get any options with it, either. If you want a few options, you immediately have to opt for the 3.0T. Honestly, what is the point of the A6 2.0T? Just buy a loaded A4 instead.

I can't imagine driving my A6 without the supercharged 3.0, it's just such a fun car and my God does it grip for being a 2-ton luxury saloon.

paskowitz

xlarge.jpg

This engine makes 730hp and its this small. WTF.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I still hate...no...despise the fact that an A6 is even offered with the 2.0T in USA. The 3.0T should be the only motor. Word is that the 2.0T will be axed for the 2013 model here in the US. Realistically, the A6 starts at $49K base with the 3.0T because you can't even buy a 2.0T, it's a special order vehicle and no dealer carries them on their lots. LOL.

Anyways, the 2.0T on a car like the A6 is such a waste. You don't get a whole lot of more room than the A4, it is front-wheel only, you can't get any options with it, either. If you want a few options, you immediately have to opt for the 3.0T. Honestly, what is the point of the A6 2.0T? Just buy a loaded A4 instead.

I can't imagine driving my A6 without the supercharged 3.0, it's just such a fun car and my God does it grip for being a 2-ton luxury saloon.

True enough. Either way, at minimum it's a $10k MSRP difference. That's a biggie.

xlarge.jpg

This engine makes 730hp and its this small. WTF.

I posted earlier that the F12 is a street legal Formula 1 car. Stupid numbers.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Probably a fuel economy averager for import standards. Makes more sense in Europe.

Requiem

So I am looking into getting a new SUV around my birthday (in September) and I am wondering what I should get. I have an 03 Maxima so I will have that to trade in but I don't know what to get.

I've been researching an 04 Cherokee Laredo and Lincoln Aviator same year. Any advice or tips from you guys would be appreciated. I know all cars have issues and only people who are having problems report them but I can't help but feel like both choices have numerous issues.

Just need some clarity GAF...help me!!!

TylerD

I've been researching an 04 Cherokee Laredo and Lincoln Aviator same year. Any advice or tips from you guys would be appreciated. I know all cars have issues and only people who are having problems report them but I can't help but feel like both choices have numerous issues.

Just need some clarity GAF...help me!!!

My mother has had a 04 Lincoln Aviator since it was new with 70k miles on it now and has had very minimal problems with it. Pretty much every issue was taken care of with a technical service bulletin (whining gears in the transmission that was no more than a very minor nuisance) and a seal problem on the liftgate that allowed some water to get in the taillight pods. She has had no electrical issues or anything mechanical fail.

Depending on your off road aspirations a Laredo may be a better choice but the comfort and quality of the Aviator and IMO the looks would be my choice. With the Aviator you can expect to get 19mpg max on the highway and should be able to get by with running 89 instead of 91 or 93. I still think they look pretty good for a gussied up Explorer.

What does a decent paint job cost these days? I've got an '03 G35 coupe in desert platinum that is in really nice shape except for a few scrapes on the hood and trunk that happened recently (I don't know how) and some other minor scratches here and there. I've been thinking about selling it because I haven't been driving it that much, but if I do decide to keep it long-term I'm toying with the idea of having it repainted to a different color. Any idea what it would cost to get a quality paint job? I'm near Baltimore, MD.

What does a decent paint job cost these days? I've got an '03 G35 coupe in desert platinum that is in really nice shape except for a few scrapes on the hood and trunk that happened recently (I don't know how) and some other minor scratches here and there. I've been thinking about selling it because I haven't been driving it that much, but if I do decide to keep it long-term I'm toying with the idea of having it repainted to a different color. Any idea what it would cost to get a quality paint job? I'm near Baltimore, MD.

Decent paint job can start anywhere from the mid $2,000's and up depending on paint, prep work, door jambs, trunk, engine bay, etc... Not to mention popping out any dents you may have. You can go to Earl Scheib and pay $600 for a shitty paint job that will yield overspray, shitty prep work, thin paint, etc.

kharma45

Probably a fuel economy averager for import standards. Makes more sense in Europe.

We don't even get that engine in the A6 anymore (at least not at the minute), we've only got a choice of 3, although the 3.0 TDI comes in two different states of tune.

The A6 3.0T already averages nearly 30MPG on the highway and 20 in the city. *shrug*

The 2.0 was in the old A6 here and was supposed to do 47.9MPG on the motorway, fairly big step up.

Looking to buy a new car and have my sights set on a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE.

They have a $2000 manu rebate on that model right now. Couple questions regarding that

1. How likely is one to qualify for the full amount?
2. Is the rebate amount just taken off the price of the car or do you get a check in mail months later similar to rebates for other stuff.
3. Rebate expires in a few weeks and I may not be able to get it in time. Are these rebates offered frequently or should I make an effort to get my finances in order before it goes away?
4. Anything else I should be aware of?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
AE86 Project is over. In that, a dude offered me more than I had spent on the vehicle and parts.

So, I took it.

Thinking about either importing one outright from Japan. Or restore a Datsun 510. Or, even a Datsun 610 wagon.

ascii42

Looking to buy a new car and have my sights set on a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE.

They have a $2000 manu rebate on that model right now. Couple questions regarding that

1. How likely is one to qualify for the full amount?
2. Is the rebate amount just taken off the price of the car or do you get a check in mail months later similar to rebates for other stuff.
3. Rebate expires in a few weeks and I may not be able to get it in time. Are these rebates offered frequently or should I make an effort to get my finances in order before it goes away?
4. Anything else I should be aware of?
1. I would assume you'll get it. Is there any fine print? Like you have to trade in a Ford, or a competitor?
2. It should be taken off the price of the car. When I bought my Malibu, they added the rebate to my down payment. I assume Ford works similarly.
3. Hard to say. Usually rebates are offered around this time of year, especially through summer, because they are trying to get rid of the old ones for the new model year. So I would expect them to have another offer next month. But you never know, you may have to wait another month, or it could be a different offer (like 0% for 60 months, or something like that). Really, it depends on how soon you want/need the car.

Zyzyxxz

AE86 Project is over. In that, a dude offered me more than I had spent on the vehicle and parts.

So, I took it.

Thinking about either importing one outright from Japan. Or restore a Datsun 510. Or, even a Datsun 610 wagon.

Forget about AE86, get a Datsun 510 and drop a SR20 into it or something else if you are feeling adventurous.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Forget about AE86, get a Datsun 510 and drop a SR20 into it or something else if you are feeling adventurous.

Yeah, was thinking about the SR20, deepdish rims, shaving the body and removing the bumpers.

sammich

Saw a pic of the new 2013 Ford Fusion today. Finally looks on par with their other redesigns, I like it!

2013-ford-fusion-lead-opt.jpg

Saw them at the Toronto auto show.. couldnt sit or touch them though which sucked. I really like em, but i dont buy 1st model years and i needed a car asap. So i ended up getting a 2008 TL/w(NAVI) for a really good price.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

So, I took it.

I think you spelled 1972 Celica wrong.

B7Vwt.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

Don't do an SR20, they are unreliable as fuck. RB25 or RB26 are far better choices.

You know, something about jamming something that big into such a small space. It makes my sphincter pucker.

I love the Celica, but its so hard to find one. An also, there a particular engine I would like to get with a Celica, if I were to even look for one tha tmakes it even harder to find.

Enron

Banned
Just got back from the Atlanta Auto Show. Subaru had the BRZ there! This thing is really small in person.

6844768410_a69076b5a1_z.jpg

6844765794_70ce9ea9c6_z.jpg

6990895609_2ca2aec24b_z.jpg

Also got to get my hands on the new 2013 M5. Popped the hood to snap a picture of this beast...

6990897975_8c4706f319_z.jpg

Kia brought the GT concept!

6844763610_5653234908_z.jpg

6990883441_e1c543546b_z.jpg

ascii42

Kia brought the GT concept!

6844763610_5653234908_z.jpg

6990883441_e1c543546b_z.jpg

I was at the Atlanta Auto Show yesterday as well. How did I miss that?

I was mostly there to drive some cars. I drove the Escalade ESV, CTS-V Wagon, Chevy Equinox, Buick Verano, Chrysler 200, and Chrysler 300 SRT8. I rode along with my dad as he drove the Chevy Sonic, Buick Regal, and Fiat 500. They had a Transformers Camaro SS, but the wait was too long for it.

My favorites to drive were (not surprisingly) the Caddy Wagon and the 300 SRT8. I had driven the V Sedan last year, but this year I got to open it up a bit more in a couple of back streets. Disappointingly, I wasn't really able to do so in the 300. The CTS-V is freaking awesome, but I think the 300 would make a better daily driver. It's more comfortable, and more fuel efficient. I was also impressed by the 200. Seems like a big improvement over the Sebring, and you get a pretty good amount of stuff for the money. The Escalade is sweet. I never really took it seriously until I drove the hybrid version last year, but in the Platinum trim, the interior is very nice. It's just awesome to drive around in the beast. I've always liked the Equinox (wanted to buy one a couple years back, actually), and I still do. I'm not fond of the leather seats they have in the top model, but the cloth ones are great. The Verano seems like a very nice car. It's very quite and comfortable, and the materials seem to be quite good. With that said, it starts at around $23,000, which is a lot of money for a compact. Though it seems worth a look if you are looking at loaded versions of the mainstream compacts, which can get that expensive as well.

As for the cars my dad drove: We've got a couple of Aveos in the family, so we're pretty familiar with them. The Sonic seems to be a HUGE improvement. Amazingly enough the 500 does have a back seat. Not a large one, but I did fit back there, sort of. Overall, I like the Fiat. I don't think I'd want to pay what they're asking, but I'd get one in a heartbeat over a Smart. I had driven the Regal last year, so I already knew what to expect, but it was interesting riding in it as opposed to driving it. I quite enjoyed driving the thing. It handles pretty well, but could use more power. Fortunately, they've introduced the Turbo and GS models, which should solve that. My main complaint riding in the thing is that the back seats aren't very comfortable. They're quite hard, actually. I think it was while my dad was driving the Regal that we saw someone floor it in the CTS-V Wagon, and quickly get pulled over by a police officer. Apparently he got up to about 90 in a 45 mph zone, and received a $1000 ticket. Almost seems cruel, waiting around to bust people test driving those fast cars.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
https://www.facebook.com/realautodynamics

I'm helping a friend with his new shop. It's a fully setup performance, maintenance, and general automotive shop, no BS. Everyone involved has tons and tons of experience. If you're in New York and don't want dealers touching your car, they'll work on it. If you're into performance, they'll do all of your installs. They've been known to build some of the best and most reliable turbo, supercharged, and pure race motors in the past.

427098_256753534412448_177708225650313_570090_315573626_n.jpg

R.A.D. is your one stop shop for everything you need done to your car. Dynos, tunes, general installs, maintenance, built motors, forced induction, etc. I was at the shop today and it is coming along extremely well - the space is huge! See below for a list of what to expect:

• Dyno Room 2WD/AWD
  • ECU Tuning
  • 3 Lifts
  • PERFECT Entrance Ramp (No scraping!)
  • Smooth Roads Around Area
  • Comfortable Waiting Area
  • Friendliest and Funniest Customer Service
  • Integrity and Honest Work
  • Great Pricing
  • Will Work On All Cars!
  • Quality Craftsmanship on Custom Work (Welding, etc.)

I'm sticking my neck out for a group of guys who I've decided to follow once they've all informed me of their plans to setup shop in Nassau's Oceanside. I trust these guys with my car, and I don't trust many people with anything in general. They left Performance Motorsport, and so did I. I've already lined up my girlfriend's 335 Coupe to get work done shortly, as well as work on my 370Z. So this shop isn't exclusive to just Nissans, bring your BMW 335is, M3s, WRX STis, EVOs, MazdaSpeeds, GTRs, 350Zs, 370Z, S2000s, VWs, Audis, Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, etc. etc. The crew is no stranger to your car - feel free to ask them!

TylerD

Someone posted the PDF they received from a Dealer Daily email on FT86club.com. Seems pretty legit.

To: All Scion Dealers March 20, 2012

Subject: 2013MY Scion FR-S Price Announcement

Scion is pleased to announce the starting price of $24,200 for the highly awaited 2013MY Scion.

FR-S which will arrive at Scion dealerships in June. Even with DPH, the starting price is still under $25,000!

2013MY Scion FR-S Highlights:

This high performance sports car is the fifth model to join the Scion family. Inspired by the
Toyota AE86, FR-S is designed around the core goal of achieving, “Pure Balance.” This
balance begins with the use of the world’s only front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration
using a flat boxer engine.

Some of the great standard features on FR-S include:
• 2.0 liter, 200 horsepower, naturally aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine

• Toyota’s cutting edge D-4S injection system with direct and port
injection

• 6-speed manual transmission that offers quick precise shifts with a short
throw

• 6-speed automatic transmission with rev-match and steering-wheel
mounted paddle shifters

• Torque Sensing Limited Slip Differential

• 17-inch alloy wheels and ventilated disc brakes

FR-S’s interior cockpit instantly exudes a “sports car” feel. The front sports seats are shaped to
accommodate manual shifting and support longitudinal and lateral G-force. The leather
wrapped 3-spoke sports steering wheel, utilizes the smallest diameter in the Scion lineup.
The idea of “Pure Balance” is further realized by FR-S’s lightweight design and compact size.
This allows the car to be quick and nimble into and out of corners. This combination is further
proof that Scion is truly “Bringing the Sport Back to the Car.”

The FR-S will be available in seven colors including Raven, Asphalt, Hot Lava, Argento,
Ultramarine, Firestorm and Whiteout.

Pricing Summary Documents:
MSRP for the FR-S six-speed manual and six-speed sequential automatic transmissions are $24,200 and $25,300 respectively.

Model Transmission Description 2013 Base
MSRP
6253 6MT FA20 $24,200
6252 6AT FA20 $25,300

All prices listed above exclude the Delivery, Processing, and Handling (DPH) fee
Pricing will be announced to the public on Thursday, March 22, 2012. Please keep this
information confidential until Thursday, March 22, 2012. Pricing details will be available in
the Scion FR-S Price Guides posted in the “Secure Area” for Dealer Principals on Dealer Daily.
Please contact your Regional Office or local administrator if you have any questions.

Your turn Subaru.

ascii42

On that note, both versions are rated by the EPA at 22 city/30 highway with the manual transmission, and 25/34 with the automatic. This is with premium fuel.
The automatic fuel economy is solid, but the fuel economy with the manual isn't much better than the V6 Camaro or Mustang, and those weigh about 1000 lbs more and have over 300 hp, and don't require premium.

TylerD

Seems like the dollar-yen exchange rate is too great for Scion/Toyota to start FR-S pricing at the rumored $22K.

Yeah, I just hope that a Limited BRZ isn't going to be up in the high 28K range. We are starting to get some real world non-press driving impressions and the general consensus is the interior and materials are much nicer than they may look and the car drives and handles beautifully and feels plenty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom