• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halvie

Banned
no HRE ones, that's for sure.

I like these ones the best on the f30:

rims.png

and chrome finish...the picture I posted doesn't contain chrome...

Add each set is done individually for each order

7009374795_dde624b7fb_z.jpg

Just to throw it out too a diesel 3-Series will hold it's value better than a petrol equivalent, especially a 6-cyclinder one.

A 320d is hard to beat as a package, lots of torque, 0-62 in 7.5 seconds and a claimed average fuel consumption of 60mpg.

Yeah 320d with M trim is definitely on my list too, but I just love BMW six cylinder petrol engines. Need to test drive them all and work out what suits.

Cheers :)

kharma45

Yeah 320d with M trim is definitely on my list too, but I just love BMW six cylinder petrol engines. Need to test drive them all and work out what suits.

Cheers :)

Yeah test drive them and do some rough sums and see what works out :) either way you're going to get a good car!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Didn't the Nurburgring just file for bankruptcy, or is about to?

7009374795_dde624b7fb_z.jpg

well looks like that company really has something special going on, so kudos to them. Can I still hate the way they look?
At least I am not the one claiming the interior of a Nissan 370Z looks premium. BUT ONLY IF YOU GET THE NAV!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Didn't the Nurburgring just file for bankruptcy, or is about to?

It did, but you can still commute through it. A lot of people don't know this, but there are actually houses off the track and people live in the area. The track has "exits" that lead to the houses and such. In a way, the track is sort of a looped highway, if you will. It's crazy, really. In theory, the ring will never be shut down since the road and the structure and the layout will always exist. It's the operational aspect that is likely to disappear.

Don't know if that makes sense or not.

N-Bomb

HRE wheels may be nice, but there are plenty of manufacturers of forged wheels, assuming that you don't like the kind of blingy look they can have.

-Volk Racing/Gram Lights/etc (Rays Engineering)
-SSR Comps and a couple others
-Centerline does some forged wheels (but I believe they look pretty blingy too)
-BBS
-Prodrive Japan
-Weds has a couple
-Buddy Club makes a forged wheel
-Forgeline
-the old Racing Hart CP-035R
-Work's Emotion line has some forged wheels.

Should mention that you can't find forged wheels for under $400-500 new (each), going up to $700-800-1000+. Also, some OEM wheels are forged, even. Mazda has had some (RX-7 FD and Miata, I believe), Subaru on the STi, higher end cars like the Elise/Exige, generally on more sporty cars.

There are plenty of cast wheels which are light and strong enough for daily use, but you'll want to stick with low pressure cast at the minimum. Gravity casting is pretty garbage, and it's what you'll find on the cheapest end, not coincidentally with knockoffs like Rotas. Many say they're fine for daily drivers, but you kinda get what you pay for.

N-Bomb

That's quite an excursion, to ship your car over! Luckily for me I can just get a ferry/Eurostar it...

If you're going to do it, do it right. Nothing I can rent or buy locally for the price of shipping will come close to being as fun.

Don't know if that makes sense or not.

Do you think they'll really let such an icon disappear? They just need to sell off that stupid amusement park that they never should've built in the first place.

(yep, I forgot to multiquote... fu!)

AlphaSnake

They're in debt to the entire country of Germany for defaulting on loans.

But no, I think eventually car companies will simply pool their money together and just manage or save the damn thing.

Halvie

Banned
well looks like that company really has something special going on, so kudos to them. Can I still hate the way they look?
At least I am not the one claiming the interior of a Nissan 370Z looks premium. BUT ONLY IF YOU GET THE NAV!

Yeah, but I would prefer you hate many of the ugly wheels they sell not one of the better looking ones :D

AlphaSnake

You've already proven yourself to be a dolt, so at this point no one really gives a shit what you think.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not that I'm a big fan, but why have I never heard of this car?

Where do you live and/or are you new to "car culture".
The GTi-R is that car which makes guys with more expensive sports cars feel like shit, cuz it essentially does everything better. I mean really i have a hard time finding a reason to NOT own a GTi-R.

I love GTi-Rs with all my heart, i used to drive an N14 which i always loved, and the GTi-R was like an N14 on drugs

N-Bomb

Where do you live and/or are you new to "car culture".
The GTi-R is that car which makes guys with more expensive sports cars feel like shit, cuz it essentially does everything better. I mean really i have a hard time finding a reason to NOT own a GTi-R.

I live in Canada, and this is the last Pulsar I can remember seeing:

800px-1988-1991_Nissan_EXA_%28N13%29_coupe_%282011-11-08%29_01.jpg

Ah, so it's basically a pre-WRX-type car, more or less. That hood scoop is kinda of ugly, but otherwise it reminds me of the 323 GTX, which I wanted at one point!

0707_z+1988_mazda_323_gtx+rally_car.jpg

Funny factoid on that car: "Both the GTX and GTR models were limited to a top speed of 180kph. However, removing a screw on the back of the instrument cluster, labeled 180kph, meant that the speed limiter was removed."

Black_Stride

I live in Canada, and this is the last Pulsar I can remember seeing:
800px-1988-1991_Nissan_EXA_%28N13%29_coupe_%282011-11-08%29_01.jpg

Wow, i call that a Nissan EXA i didnt know any markets called it a Pulsar.
God damn Nissan and its changing names in different markets.

Ah, so it's basically a pre-WRX-type car, more or less. That hood scoop is kinda of ugly, but otherwise it reminds me of the 323 GTX, which I wanted at one point!

No its very ugly, thats like the first thing id change once i got one.
Get a regular N14 hood, and then get a front mounted intercooler.

Pop Quiz for the guy talking shit about HRE:
HRE or BMW CSL wheels?
Which is which?

haha leave him alone, he hates HRE wheels and he probably hates CSL wheels too.

AlphaSnake

I just finished watching that. Fantastic.

Haha, same here. Oh man, their convos are absolutely moronic - every bit as stupid and realistic as the ones I have with my oldest and closest friends. There is virtually no distinguishing the Larry David here, vs. the Larry David of Curb.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Haha, same here. Oh man, their convos are absolutely moronic - every bit as stupid and realistic as the ones I have with my oldest and closest friends. There is virtually no distinguishing the Larry David here, vs. the Larry David of Curb.

It was such a human conversation that my friends and I have way too often. The weird observations, theories, and sarcastic counter-arguments are just too good.

AlphaSnake

It was such a human conversation that my friends and I have way too often. The weird observations, theories, and sarcastic counter-arguments are just too good.

All of these shit clip segments on Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and other car mag sites need to take a cue on how to record a discussion with someone. Because you watch this and there was clearly very little editing here (time it took to get coffee was practically real-time, during driving the backdrops didn't change drastically, etc), it was just so natural and free flowing.

Halvie

Banned

aznpxdd

It'll be a 4 series and it'll be out mid 2013 as far as I know.

And thanks for the heads-up on HRE, AlphaSnake. I still think they look awful but hey, I guess it's a worthy trade-off.

Please just know that you are in the minority minority. I'm talking about the 1% here, that thinks HRE wheels look awful.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's a sharp looking car Superman00. I actually really like that color on that car.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think Header orange is a nicer color tbh.

wYE4z.jpg

My fav though is Green with Envy

poster.jpg

My problem with Header Orange is, that while it's a Skittles color, it's a bit ostentatious in person. I don't think Hemi Orange was really that ostentatious at all. I mean, it's not that crazy glitter Orange color they've been using, but its pretty bright when you see one on the road. I'd still prefer Black if I was getting one of those.

AlphaSnake

ATKRe.jpg

ngmkA.jpg

fNFxf.jpg

My FR-S I got 2 weeks ago. I love driving this car. Put 600 miles on it in 2 weeks. I drive this car to work everyday and in heavy traffic and I get about 27 mpg right now. People need to drive this car before hating on it.

This will probably pissed off AlphaSnake lol.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/top-gear-magazine-speed-week-2012-7-17
The FT86 won

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/59181/toyota-gt-86-vs-rivals

None of it bothers me. The bottomline is that for my personal preferences I know I own and drive the better car. It's faster, handles impeccably (mine particularly being dropped + on Super Sports), has a much better looking interior, and rides comfortably despite the Swift suspension - all of the things that make a superior car to me. The harshness of the engine is a fault of the intake which is muffled, but that is quite literally a $30 and 10 minute fix which was one of the first things I took care of. Start working your way down through the exhaust bits and you have one extremely mean sounding car without sounding like a ricer.

That AutoExpress review is also so ridiculously short it's practically pointless, as it lacks being informative. Let me write a proper article on these cars, having now experienced the FR-S, and I can do a better job of explaining why the 370Z is the better car...and I have no idea what the Audi TT 1.8T is doing ahead of the Z, that review is practically listing the cheaper cars to own in order. Well, again, I'm sorry...but no matter how "fun" a car is through the turns, a huge equation of fun to me is stomping the throttle and enjoying a surge of power no matter what gear you're in. Again, that's to me. And I love a great handling car as much as the next guy, especially since I spent money to tighten up the suspension on my car and $1400 on Michelins, but most roads and highways are straight, unfortunately. Plus, I get a huge kick of having more power on tap at the apex of every turn.

Effectively, the difference in power between my Z and the FR-S was something along the lines of this: coming out of an apex in the FR-S in 2nd at around 50MPH or so (6000-6500RPM)....felt like coming out of an apex in 4th in my Z (3000-3500RPM) - at the same speeds. The power is adequate and manageable in the FR-S, but a bit too tame and boring for my liking. Unfortunately, the flexibility of the FR-S sort of ends there, doesn't it? Because doing that same apex in 1st would've been moronic since I'd just be sitting at redline the entire time, not to mention going slower than 50, since top-speed in 1st is something like 37MPH. Meanwhile I could still play with 2 other gears in my Z and choose my balance. So if I wanted adequate and manageable, I'd just drive my Z in higher gears...if I wanted something more spirited, I'd drive it a gear lower...and I wanted to properly go sideways like a moron at the tap of the throttle and shit my pants...I'd do it a gear lower than last.

So again, I'm pretty tired of talking about the BR-Z and FR-S, but it's simply not a car aimed at me or a car that I enjoyed driving, which is why I never even bothered mentioning I finally drove it. I have to say, I know these cars are selling, because the sales guy was genuinely shocked when I didn't like the car. I insisted at first that I drive the manual...but he says "sorry bud, we only have 1 automatic we can test drive" - when I hated the automatic and drove it back no later than 4 minutes, he was so stunned that he 'magically' found me a 6-speed to drive a few minutes later, which I obviously did. I was more happy with the stick, but again, still not impressed.

So that's that. I've said my piece on this matter. I drove the car, I didn't like it, especially compared to what I currently own.

Zyzyxxz

I drive a Prius, stop hating on each other and feel sorry for me!

Hopefully in future something nice if my career in the kitchen takes off.

aznpxdd

My friend wrapped his new FR-S in blue/purplish CF wrap. The car is obviously nowhere near finished. I'm thinking he's gonna have a ton of Seibon parts on since he is really good friends with the owner.

7608306322_9c9f839bdc_b.jpg

He can't seem to stop talking about this car though, praise it like no other. And he is pretty legit, has a tracking instructor license and owns the below cars: Heavily modded GTR (or Seibon's project GTR), CLK63 AMG Black Series, Porsche 997 GT3RS (bought from Paul Walker :p), Porsche Carrera 996 4S, Bentley Cont GT, E36 M3, AE86 & 5-6 other cars that aren't performance orientated.

So yeah, I gotta believe him and give credit to Toyota.

Halvie

Banned
My friend wrapped his new FR-S in blue/purplish CF wrap. The car is obviously nowhere near finished. I'm thinking he's gonna have a ton of Seibon parts on since he is really good friends with the owner.

Pretty interesting wrap. Never seen it look textured like that before.

Rookje

My problem with Header Orange is, that while it's a Skittles color, it's a bit ostentatious in person. I don't think Hemi Orange was really that ostentatious at all. I mean, it's not that crazy glitter Orange color they've been using, but its pretty bright when you see one on the road. I'd still prefer Black if I was getting one of those.
I have one, and its black ;)

7608306322_9c9f839bdc_b.jpg

Kornheiser_Why.JPG

The point of carbon fiber is strength and lightness. Adding a wrap just makes it tacky.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
http://i.imgur.com/ATKRe.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ngmkA.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fNFxf.jpg[IMG]

My FR-S I got 2 weeks ago. I love driving this car. Put 600 miles on it in 2 weeks. I drive this car to work everyday and in heavy traffic and I get about 27 mpg right now. People need to drive this car before hating on it.

This will probably pissed off AlphaSnake lol.

[url]http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/top-gear-magazine-speed-week-2012-7-17[/url]
[spoiler]The FT86 won[/spoiler]

[URL="http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/59181/toyota-gt-86-vs-rivals"]http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/59181/toyota-gt-86-vs-rivals[/URL][/QUOTE]

Congrats! Love the Ultramarine. AT or MT?

Black_Stride

Yeah, but I've only seen a couple of cars that's fully wrapped in CF vinyl. Meh, he's gotta have some variety, majority of the cars I listed above that he owns are in white.

Oh im not hating on it, i was just curious why Halvie was surprised by the texture, when thats the CF texture...i only now realize its cuz he had never seen the CF texture before.
Its interesting to say the absolute least.

I think he meant vinyl wrap in general.
I've got a roll of brushed aluminum wrap, looks quite nice. I've only ever seen cars near me vinyl wrapped in matt black though.
I get it now rereading his post, and yeah the most common wraps ive seen are matte black or some other matte color, full CF wraps are pretty rare.

The point of carbon fiber is strength and lightness. Adding a wrap just makes it tacky.
Tacky probably isnt the word you are looking for.....but i think i understand where you are coming from....you are one of those that doesnt like people modifying their cars for looks before focusing on pure performance huh?

Wraps are awesome cuz they let you temporarily drastically alter the look of your vehicle, if i had the money id probably wrap my cars a different color every month.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Nice pickup.

That's a sharp looking car Superman00. I actually really like that color on that car.

Thx, I was gonna get a red one, but it sold right before I was about to leave to the dealership. So I went to another one, which just got it in. It is pretty much out of stock around here. I live in Virginia, had to go to Maryland to get it.

Congrats! Love the Ultramarine. AT or MT?

AT, I live in the DC metro area and drive to work everyday. If I get a MT, I would have to shift over a couple hundred time a day. lol

N-Bomb

My friend said I should consider a wrap for my car, but that's a no-go because I have to get rust fixed, so I might as well just paint it and be done.

Speaking of which, I may get it back today! :eek:

Viperbah

Tacky probably isnt the word you are looking for.....but i think i understand where you are coming from....you are one of those that doesnt like people modifying their cars for looks before focusing on pure performance huh?

Wraps are awesome cuz they let you temporarily drastically alter the look of your vehicle, if i had the money id probably wrap my cars a different color every month.

No, it's tacky. While I am firmly in the camp you are referring to about performance, I don't mind adding appearance mods occasionally. I guess I will just never understand the ricer mentality or not focusing on performance(you know it is possible to add mods that increase performance and aesthetics simultaneously)

I'm not trying to make a personal attack on anyone, this is just my opinion. I have been going to car shows, the track, meets, clubs etc. for ten plus years now....and it's usually these guys/gals that think hellaflush, wraps, stickers etc. are cool that have the least mechanical knowledge or general intelligence surrounding cars, and I think that is half the reason whey this culture is off-putting to 90% of the automotive community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom