• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunsmithx

Yes, but I've no money for anything more at the moment. :)

I do have a few of the usual exterior mods already bought to put on, but waiting until after it's repainted for those.

which mods are those? Reminds me I need to get around to ordering my mudflaps.

GBONZZZZ

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the correct threas, but it's the only automotive thread I've seen.

Anyways, I've got an 2003 Honda Element with some stains on the seat. I can't tell you how they got there because I've no idea. All I know is that the biggest stain is surprisingly water. Anybody have any tips for cleaning it without ruining the seats? Thanks

I'll post some pictures in a minute

aznpxdd

Got mah wheels today :)

iIknLizHXy6N.jpg

N-Bomb

Looks like they refreshed the Z to make it look less like some ugly fish!

012013nissan370zrev.jpg

The rear end still looks too J-lo/last gen Eclipse for me, but it's a right step.

02fordredtailsmustang.jpg

Also, how awesome is this paint job? This almost makes me want a Mustang. :drool:

which mods are those? Reminds me I need to get around to ordering my mudflaps.

JDM tails, clear corner lights, JDM ver6 grille I need to cut the mesh out of and replace with diamond mesh. I think I need to get the rear fenders rolled. Bumpers I'm unsure of... Trunk light, maybe open up the hood vents. Replace some of the exterior rubber trim that's looking old. Unsure if I'm keeping the spoiler or not or what.

Got mah wheels today :)

iIknLizHXy6N.jpg

Big 'n' fancy! What are those, 19s?

Gunsmithx

JDM tails, clear corner lights, JDM ver6 grille I need to cut the mesh out of and replace with diamond mesh. I think I need to get the rear fenders rolled. Bumpers I'm unsure of... Trunk light, maybe open up the hood vents. Replace some of the exterior rubber trim that's looking old. Unsure if I'm keeping the spoiler or not or what.

Sounds good, as for the spoiler well, it's a subi so if it's not able to block out the sun then your doing it wrong :p

aznpxdd

That actually excites me a bit more. I am very curious to see an all sport-y looking X1.
I have a secret love affair with that car. If only it wasn't so small...

What else are you doing with it?

H&R Springs, black out all exterior chrome, black mirror caps, quad tip exhaust, K&N filter, some small interior mods.

Yeah mostly cosmetic mods, but from I've researched, not much to do other than exhaust and filter. There isn't a CAI kit for X1 out, and since I'm in China, not sure if they have any shops that can reflash ECU's.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

012013nissan370zrev.jpg

The rear end still looks too J-lo/last gen Eclipse for me, but it's a right step.

Tacky LEDs is a refresh now? If you're talking about the fangs, they're still there. They're just a dull black plastic color and slightly thinner.

They've also made the suspension softer, and allegedly ride height has increased by .2 - which is mind boggling, because the car rides very smoothly and soft stock, and when dropped like mine the suspension still does a tremendous job of making everything feel like stock. My dropped 370Z is smoother and more comfortable than our 335i Coupe with runflats and without runflats. So in that sense, I'm disappointed at Nissan that they've made the car softer. It's just odd.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The new Z front reminds me more of the 350z front.

250px-Nissan350Z-01.jpg

Also...

01-2013-audi-r8.jpg

Gawdamn.

Acid08

Banned

012013nissan370zrev.jpg

02fordredtailsmustang.jpg

Also, how awesome is this paint job? This almost makes me want a Mustang. :drool:

Big 'n' fancy! What are those, 19s?

Nothing could make me want a Mustang :x

J-Rzez

Nothing could make me want a Mustang :x

I can relate. I feel the same way about all Audis.

Going to test drive a BRZ today for the hell of it. I need a cheap commuter car that gets decent MPGs, and could be fun to drive. My commute is 20-30mi, and through hills. I'm sure they're fun going down, but going up is what I'm worried about. I think, think I narrowed it down to the BRZ, a Focus ST (but who knows when they'll be on lots). Nixed the Abarth, cool concept, they make some crazy noise stock, but just didnt feel right.

N-Bomb

Sounds good, as for the spoiler well, it's a subi so if it's not able to block out the sun then your doing it wrong :p

Yes. I'm going to put a huge biplane wing on the back. No, at most I might go with a tasteful ducktail.

The new Z front reminds me more of the 350z front.

250px-Nissan350Z-01.jpg

Also...

01-2013-audi-r8.jpg

Gawdamn.

From that angle, I think the 350 is far more attractive in the front. And the R8... I guess it's nice in a kind of a 'sterile but trying' kind of way.

I can relate. I feel the same way about all Audis.

As I feel about any BMW made after 2000 and any Benz ever.

AlphaSnake

Yes. I'm going to put a huge biplane wing on the back. No, at most I might go with a tasteful ducktail.

From that angle, I think the 350 is far more attractive in the front. And the R8... I guess it's nice in a kind of a 'sterile but trying' kind of way.

You just said the 350Z is more attractive than the 370Z...but bashed the R8 for looking....sterile? Seriously? The 350Z's front-end was the definition of sterile and safe. I'm convinced you're automotively bi-polar or something.

Or, rather, Reilo put it better...you just may be fucking crazy. LMAO

Is it customary to ask for vehicle recommendations here? Oh well, doing it anyway:

Been driving an 01 Lexus ES300 for close to 8 years now, it's been a champ but it's got over 100k miles on it and frankly I'm a little bored. I'm looking at 2008-2010 models of entry level luxury sedans with $25k as my upper bound in terms of price. Been looking at models like the ES350, G37 Sedan, TL Sedan, etc. I haven't followed the car scene at all, there any consensus at all on which is these is the best buy?

reilo

I do love that Audi set the multiple LEDs trend and completely annihilated the design of it and made something even better with the LED strips. The headlights in the new R8 are just orgasmic.

ascii42

Is it customary to ask for vehicle recommendations here? Oh well, doing it anyway:

Been driving an 01 Lexus ES300 for close to 8 years now, it's been a champ but it's got over 100k miles on it and frankly I'm a little bored. I'm looking at 2008-2010 models of entry level luxury sedans with $25k as my upper bound in terms of price. Been looking at models like the ES350, G37 Sedan, TL Sedan, etc. I haven't followed the car scene at all, there any consensus at all on which is these is the best buy?

Really depends on what you are looking for in a car. ES350 is comfortable and quiet, the G37 is smaller and sportier.

AlphaSnake

I do love that Audi set the multiple LEDs trend and completely annihilated the design of it and made something even better with the LED strips. The headlights in the new R8 are just orgasmic.

Hahaha, I think about this often. Audi set the trend, everyone jumped on it and Audi bailed immediately leaving everyone in the past with the new designs that started on the A6.

TylerD

Out of those I would go with a 07 or 08 TL or TL type S or the G37 Sedan. I haven't driven a G37 but I did enjoy the TL type S, even if it had a lot of torque steer.

TylerD

Hahaha, I think about this often. Audi set the trend, everyone jumped on it and Audi bailed immediately leaving everyone in the past with the new designs that started on the A6.

I don't know if the revised Genesis actually has LED strips but it does have a covering over the LEDs to make them look more like the R8's lights. Audi definitely has the best use of LEDs IMO.

0.jpg

Definitely not as elegant.

ameratsu

I know this runs counter to this thread, but does someone have a recommendation for a relatively cheap commuter car that would work for road trips? Needs to be able to fit snowboards/a bike inside, manual, and pretty reliable. Being easy to work on would be a bonus too. I'd like to spend $8k max. I've been looking at late model Proteges, but rust is a pretty common problem unfortunately. Going to look at a 2008 Saturn Astra 3dr as well. Some balance between fun to drive and fuel economy would be nice.

reilo

I know this runs counter to this thread, but does someone have a recommendation for a relatively cheap commuter car that would work for road trips? Needs to be able to fit snowboards/a bike inside, be manual, and be pretty reliable. Being easy to work on would be a bonus too. I'd like to spend $8k max. I've been looking at late model Proteges, but rust is a pretty common problem unfortunately. Going to look at a 2008 Saturn Astra 3dr as well. Some balance between fun to drive and fuel economy would be nice.

5-door Mazda3?

Really depends on what you are looking for in a car. ES350 is comfortable and quiet, the G37 is smaller and sportier.

I like the Lexus accoutrements but I wouldn't mind something with a bit more punch, I was looking at MPG too but based on a quick glance it seems every car in this genre is around 17-19 city anyway.

Out of those I would go with a 07 or 08 TL or TL type S or the G37 Sedan. I haven't driven a G37 but I did enjoy the TL type S, even if it had a lot of torque steer.

Cool, I'll definitely check those out then.

N-Bomb

You are fucking crazy.

I take that as a compliment!

You just said the 350Z is more attractive than the 370Z...but bashed the R8 for looking....sterile? Seriously? The 350Z's front-end was the definition of sterile and safe. I'm convinced you're automotively bi-polar or something.

Dude, I said 'from that angle'. The 350's front end is atrocious, but it just happened to have a good angle in that photo. Like Streisand.

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the correct threas, but it's the only automotive thread I've seen.

I'll post some pictures in a minute

Awaiting pics (many minutes later)

next they need to bail on the ever increasing size of the center grilles

YES. They're turning into big animal-catchers. Or look like it. Swallow all the things.

I know this runs counter to this thread, but does someone have a recommendation for a relatively cheap commuter car that would work for road trips? Needs to be able to fit snowboards/a bike inside, manual, and pretty reliable. Being easy to work on would be a bonus too. I'd like to spend $8k max.

Grab a Subaru Legacy or an Outback Sport (Impreza-based). Later 90s OBS should run under $4-6k, an early 2000s Legacy within your range.

ameratsu

If the OBS is impreza based, don't those engines have HG problems? I was looking at a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS w/ 160kms and it definitely had at least one bad HG.

Circle T

I like the LED accent lights on some cars, but only when they are designed to be on the car. The aforementioned Audis, the BMW Halos, the Aventador, etc. Those cars all have the LED accent lights specifically designed into the lighting array, and they look great, IMO. It's when the car just has them tacked on to the existing design that it looks bad. The 370Z, the Edge, new VWs, etc. When it's just a strip of LEDs stuck onto an existing design, it just looks dumb.

Take the BRZ, for example. The stock headlight has a really nice looking LED accent strip going around the main HID projector. It looks pretty sweet. For whatever reason, though, here in the US, they also tack on another strip of basic LEDs right above the fog light, and they look stupid. Had they just left it, it would look great.

reilo

I like the LED accent lights on some cars, but only when they are designed to be on the car. The aforementioned Audis, the BMW Halos, the Aventador, etc. Those cars all have the LED accent lights specifically designed into the lighting array, and they look great, IMO. It's when the car just has them tacked on to the existing design that it looks bad. The 370Z, the Edge, new VWs, etc. When it's just a strip of LEDs stuck onto an existing design, it just looks dumb.

The Lexus IS is the worst offender.

ascii42

Take the BRZ, for example. The stock headlight has a really nice looking LED accent strip going around the main HID projector. It looks pretty sweet. For whatever reason, though, here in the US, they also tack on another strip of basic LEDs right above the fog light, and they look stupid. Had they just left it, it would look great.
Yeah. I'd put the current 300 in the middle. They obviously are going for a "C" but that just means one is backwards. They put some thought into it, but it still doesn't look great. Granted, I pretty much don't like the string of dots on any car. The solid lines are the ones that I like.

300_1.JPG

bcl0328

i love these:

attachment.php

Circle T

Yeah. I'd put the current 300 in the middle. They obviously are going for a "C" but that just means one is backwards. They put some thought into it, but it still doesn't look great. Granted, I pretty much don't like the string of dots on any car. The solid lines are the ones that I like.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qlca5TQ1Tv0/TgCl2EzCveI/AAAAAAAAAQY/Xt_0_RhM59w/s1600/300_1.JPG

Yep. When it just looks like someone spent like $15 at Radioshack to piece together a strip of white LEDs, that just doesn't work for me. They need to be more sculpted, AND have some form of diffuser to make it look like a solid piece. Almost like its a neon light, not a bunch of LEDs.

Totally. The BMW Halos, while not that exciting, do flow very well with the headlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom