• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerD

I am going to go take a look at a black\interlagos cloth MT CPO 2012 GTI with 8800 miles tonight. Started really looking into them this weekend and am excited to try one out. Seems like a really nice blend of practicality and fun and may also need to be on my list. I was surprised to see how close the MT to DSG sales split is.

I hadn't paid any attention to them since the Mk6 came out.

I think it looks hot here...

2013-land-rover-range-rover-renderings--image-courtesy-iacoski-by-sb-medien_100394392_m.jpg

Same pictures but it looks like the dimensions are marginally different. Mines a rendering though.

gcubed

BMW is bringing the 2.0L 4 cylinder diesel to America, presumably in the 3-series. Car and Driver speculates that despite being called a 320d in Europe, it'll be called something like the 325d or 328d here (sigh). Hopefully it comes with a good price. BMW has already said they are bringing the wagon to America. I could definitely be interesting in a diesel wagon.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-co...s-3-series-almost-definitely-first-recipient/

I drove this car the first time I test drove my 3 series.

It is amazing. CRAZY MPG and goes from 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.

F30 ftw. and yes it does look cheap and dirty.

here is mine:

Xxssd.jpg

high five car buddy! what a beast that car is in white with the sports line trim! Also, I admire your balls to get the black mirrors.

N-Bomb

New Range Rover for 2013.

:(

Looks like ass.

Shape reminds me more of the Ford Flex. (I actually like the Flex)

I think it looks hot here...

Same pictures but it looks like the dimensions are marginally different. Mines a rendering though.

The fascia is way too busy. That strange chain link grill and then vents as well? Also not feeling those headlights.

The Range Rooney has gotten Evoqe-ified? While the styling fits that chickmobile, it really looks squished and odd on the full-size truck. Any rear views?

I give it a fail.

kharma45

The fascia is way too busy. That strange chain link grill and then vents as well? Also not feeling those headlights.

The lights look a lot better with the LED (or it might even just be xenon) upgrade

BMW-3-Series_2012_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Car looks better in real life, I like it quite a lot.

N-Bomb

The lights look a lot better with the LED (or it might even just be xenon) upgrade

BMW-3-Series_2012_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

It's not an unattractive car, although I feel like all the horizontal lines make it look a bit compressed in front.

Am I the only one who thinks these pedestrian safety laws are nothing but detrimental to auto styling?

It's not an unattractive car, although I feel like all the horizontal lines make it look a bit compressed in front.

Am I the only one who thinks these pedestrian safety laws are nothing but detrimental to auto styling?

go see the car in person. ;) You can't tell from the angle of the picture but the f30 looks very, very wide, especially the front.

Absolutely.
Although just as a short FYI, there is no LED upgrade for this car, only a Xenon one. Honestly, if you buy any of the new BMW models without Xenon lights... you are doing its design a huge disservice.

kharma45

Absolutely.
Although just as a short FYI, there is no LED upgrade for this car, only a Xenon one. Honestly, if you buy any of the new BMW models without Xenon lights... you are doing its design a huge disservice.

Well the Xenons are surrounded by LED accents according to the brochure, just being a pedant :p

Surprised though they're not offering full LED headlights though like Audi are doing.

He was talking about the Range Rover, not the F30.

D'oh, makes more sense now.

Acid08

Banned
I want to do an engine swap on my 92 Civic Si. Anyone have some informative links that could help? Literally any information on the subject and car would be appreciated. I'm going to be doing my own research too but I figured some of you might be able to help :)

Halvie

Banned
I want to do an engine swap on my 92 Civic Si. Anyone have some informative links that could help? Literally any information on the subject and car would be appreciated. I'm going to be doing my own research too but I figured some of you might be able to help :)

least do a k swap. Wouldn't bother with a b anymore.

Circle T

Well the Xenons are surrounded by LED accents according to the brochure, just being a pedant :p

Surprised though they're not offering full LED headlights though like Audi are doing.

D'oh, makes more sense now.

Well, Audi only offer full-LED lights on the A6, A7, A8 and R8. The A4, which the 3-series directly competes with, doesn't yet have an available full-LED upgrade. You CAN, however, get full-LED lights on the 6-series, Gran Coupe, and 7-series.

Just being a pedant :p

kharma45

Well, Audi only offer full-LED lights on the A6, A7, A8 and R8. The A4, which the 3-series directly competes with, doesn't yet have an available full-LED upgrade. You CAN, however, get full-LED lights on the 6-series, Gran Coupe, and 7-series.

Just being a pedant :p

Ha :p

Forgot that the 6 series had that, I specced one up fully out of interest one time and it came to over £100k for a 640d :|

N-Bomb

Go with a CR-VTEC swap or an H2B. K series is too expensive, and K, and H engines are going to need custom mounts and other fabrication, and for an F, you'll basically need to convert the car to RWD.

Which would be cool, but you're looking at a swap worth more than 10x the value of the car! (mine was around 3x).

Good luck researching!

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1207_nissan_working_on_mini_z_to_target_frs_brz/

...executives have finally given the green light for a compact sports car known in house as the "Mini-Z." It's not a new rear-drive Silvia/240SX -- that project was cancelled in late 2008 during the financial crisis. Instead, it's a compact, front-drive-based sports car that will be aimed squarely at the Toyota GT86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ.

Ugh, I like Nissan and all but this is just downright disappointing.

I don't think most people really care about rwd except for enthusiasts. Nissan wants something sporty and light and cheap. I think they might price it under the fr-s to cut toyota sales.

Even though the frs is marketed towards enthusiasts, Nissan just wants those sales numbers. They have been underperforming sales-wise.

N-Bomb

I don't think most people really care about rwd except for enthusiasts. Nissan wants something sporty and light and cheap. I think they might price it under the fr-s to cut toyota sales.

Even though the frs is marketed towards enthusiasts, Nissan just wants those sales numbers. They have been underperforming sales-wise.

Enthusiasts know the difference. And yeah, they can just go with a Civic Si instead, or a Mini Cooper, or a Veloster, or any number of warm 'meh' cars in that case.

Edit: That thing is visual vomit.

I think you're quite wrong about that, just look at the tuner and ricer segment. A lot of these kids have read up and find out that despite all the negative camber in the world, their Civics can't still drift and have started migrating to real sports cars. I can't speak for other cars but drop by Club Roadster if you haven't, a lot of these kids end up on there if they get a Miata and do horrible things that make even the most patient Miata fanboy explode in despair.

Then we also have new examples of FWD sporty cars... the Mazdaspeed 3 sells simply because it's literally a monster car in sheep's clothing, I predict the same for the Ford Focus ST. Hyundai dropped a turbo in their Veloster because enthusiasts demanded it, and of course the Civic SI and Golf GTI and pretty much every hot hatch sells because the drivers want the access to utility but be a drivers car at the same time.

I guess my point is that the consumers are becoming smarter, and pretty much know the difference between a real sports car and a sporty car. Otherwise, hot hatches simply wouldn't sell and be more of a niche market than it already is.

tons of threads on www.honda-tech.com

and 2nd'ed a K series swap.

Blacktrax Performance in Milpitas are also pretty well known if you don't want to tackle on the project yourself.

iamblades

Who really buys cars in this market segment aside from enthusiasts though?

A two seat small sports car is really only good for driving enthusiasts, it does nothing else.

That concept looks like a fiat 500 clone more than any kind of FR-S competitor though.

Halvie

Banned
I guess my point is that the consumers are becoming smarter, and pretty much know the difference between a real sports car and a sporty car. Otherwise, hot hatches simply wouldn't sell and be more of a niche market than it already is.

Think Americans are starting to warm up to hatches...least to an extent. Talk of Audi bringing both the sedan and hatch of the new a3. They were pretty much dead set against bringing the hatch just a short while ago. They must be hearing from consumers that they want it. ...granted not the sportiest of hatches, but initial driving impressions are pretty positive.

I used to ignore nissan, I used to to think there meh when all they had was the truck motor 240sx ...when the sti and evos was embrassing them in japan...then they came out with the 350z and the g35s and so on...and grew balls...now I no longer doubt them... As a car enthusias, in my opinion Nissan is top tier Japanese manufacture regarding sports cars, which I think Honda previosly held.

Straight out balls....any company that can troll the 911 series p cars got my out most respect.

bcl0328

Honestly, if you buy any of the new BMW models without Xenon lights... you are doing its design a huge disservice.

i wanted the xenon headlights, but didn't feel like ordering my car since one on the lot had everything i wanted. i regretted it for a while, but now i don't care really. i think it does look better with them even though the halogens are just fine for me since i hardly drive at night it's mostly a cosmetic thing to have the corona rings.

some people argue that a BMW is not a BMW without them. i think that is truly ignorant though because they are really all about how they drive, not some lit up rings.

i see more BMWs without them than with, but every new model can get them now.

some of the huge rings, like on the x5, just look stupid to me.

i wanted the xenon headlights, but didn't feel like ordering my car since one on the lot had everything i wanted. i regretted it for a while, but now i don't care really. i think it does look better with them even though the halogens are just fine for me since i hardly drive at night it's mostly a cosmetic thing to have the corona rings.

some people argue that a BMW is not a BMW without them. i think that is truly ignorant though because they are really all about how they drive, not some lit up rings.

i see more BMWs without them than with, but every new model can get them now.

some of the huge rings, like on the x5, just look stupid to me.

All I am saying it looks better ;) and ofc its still a BMW!

What engine did you get? Also, sports suspension? Best 300 euros ever spent.

bcl0328

All I am saying it looks better ;) and ofc its still a BMW!

What engine did you get? Also, sports suspension? Best 300 euros ever spent.

N20. it's a 328i. btw, the black mirrors come with the sport line in US. we have no choice. i got the sport transmission, but not suspension.

aznpxdd

Sucks that most of the new BMW's come with electronic steering, really kills that "BMW steering feel" that other manufactures sought after. Thank god my X1 still has the hydraulics steering, love that heavy steering feeling.

ascii42

Sucks that most of the new BMW's come with electronic steering, really kills that "BMW steering feel" that other manufactures sought after. Thank god my X1 still has the hydraulics steering, love that heavy steering feeling.

Yeah, it does seem strange. I suppose you probably can't have start-stop with hydraulic power steering. Or at least, it would be problematic if you did.

well I chose no steering upgrades and mine feels even heavier than my parents' old BMW. *shrugs*
I enjoy it more than any other car I have driven in recent memory.

Also, you chose like the perfect timing on buying an X1. You must've gotten a pretty huge discount, seeing how the facelift was just released. (and essentially, nothing changed except for the option to get an 8 speed AT)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Honestly, I'm still amazed that they offer non-Xenon lights at all. The cost can't be that great, right?

I mean, the halo lights on BMWs have become a symbol of the brand itself so offering cars without that feature seems almost like a waste. It really hurts the styling.

I find it completely crazy at this point. Xenon lights should be standard across ALL BMWs, as far as I'm concerned.

What's worse are the cases where you have the projector lenses in place yet the car uses standard halogen bulbs. The C-Class comes to mind as an offender as, up until recently, all C-Class cars (of the current model) featured projector housing yet it was common to use halogen lamps within. Looks cheap.

Japanese cars at least seem to avoid this as most higher tier Japanese models ship with Xenon lights standard.

bcl0328

Honestly, I'm still amazed that they offer non-Xenon lights at all. The cost can't be that great, right?

I mean, the halo lights on BMWs have become a symbol of the brand itself so offering cars without that feature seems almost like a waste. It really hurts the styling.

I find it completely crazy at this point. Xenon lights should be standard across ALL BMWs, as far as I'm concerned.

What's worse are the cases where you have the projector lenses in place yet the car uses standard halogen bulbs. The C-Class comes to mind as an offender as, up until recently, all C-Class cars (of the current model) featured projector housing yet it was common to use halogen lamps within. Looks cheap.

Japanese cars at least seem to avoid this as most higher tier Japanese models ship with Xenon lights standard.

BMW halogens don't use the projector anymore. and i do think in a year or two they will get rid of halogens completely. the 3 series didn't get them until 2006 i think. right now they are standard on most cars like 335i, 535i, and such. they are moving toward LED headlights next, even lasers like in the i8.

dark10x

BMW halogens don't use the projector anymore. and i do think in a year or two they will get rid of halogens completely. the 3 series didn't get them until 2006 i think. right now they are standard on most cars like 335i, 535i, and such. they are moving toward LED headlights next, even lasers like in the i8.
I don't think BMWs ever used projectors for halogen lights, that was something Mercedes has been doing.

I'm pretty sure that the E46 had Xenon lights as an option throughout its life (or nearly all of its life). I've definitely seen them in 2001 models, for instance.

Hopefully halogen lamps WILL be phased out soon enough.

bcl0328

I don't think BMWs ever used projectors for halogen lights, that was something Mercedes has been doing.

I'm pretty sure that the E46 had Xenon lights as an option throughout its life (or nearly all of its life). I've definitely seen them in 2001 models, for instance.

Hopefully halogen lamps WILL be phased out soon enough.

yea i'm just stupid. i meant corona rings. they have had xenons for a while. it's just so synonymous now because all the xenons get the corona rings so i just call them the same thing.

the e60 has halogen projectors i believe.

N-Bomb

I used to ignore nissan, I used to to think there meh when all they had was the truck motor 240sx ...when the sti and evos was embrassing them in japan...then they came out with the 350z and the g35s and so on...and grew balls...now I no longer doubt them... As a car enthusias, in my opinion Nissan is top tier Japanese manufacture regarding sports cars, which I think Honda previosly held.

Wait, what are you talking about? Nissan was being embarrassed with not only the 300ZX Twin Turbo in the lineup, but also the Silvia and the R34 GT-R? Each of those cars was a monster on its own, despite various levels of softness.

The 240SX w/ KA motor never saw Japan, and I don't know that I'd say Honda ever led in sports cars. Mazda and Toyota certainly did, for a time.

Viperbah

What do you want the car to be? (DD, track, fun 2nd car etc.) and how much do you want to spend?

Well in my case it was an extra 1000 euros they could gouge me for... and judging by most cars they sell, a lot of other people. Unless they raise the price of the base vehicle -- which would make them seem even more expensive than they already are -- that's really the most sound option. They look good enough without it, but yeah, the Xenon + Corona rings give it that extra oomph for sure.
God knows I wouldn't wanna have my car in the rear view mirror because it looks scary as shit.

bcl0328

Well in my case it was an extra 1000 euros they could gouge me for... and judging by most cars they sell, a lot of other people. Unless they raise the price of the base vehicle -- which would make them seem even more expensive than they already are -- that's really the most sound option. They look good enough without it, but yeah, the Xenon + Corona rings give it that extra oomph for sure.
God knows I wouldn't wanna have my car in the rear view mirror because it looks scary as shit.

they got rid of the premium package in the US and made it standard for the 2013, raising the base price. xenons are now standalone options, whereas before you needed premium package.

dark10x

1000 euros, huh? Pricier than the US option.

I wouldn't buy without it, though, but it's clear that not everyone cares. Still, it should be standard.

After using Xenon lights for the past 3 years or so, however, I just can't go back to halogen lights. The difference it makes when driving at night is too significant to ignore. My dad bought a CTS recently with projector lenses, but again, the bulbs were standard halogens. At least the light pipe tail lights were standard as those do actually look pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom