• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aguirre

woodlux

tumblr_m7oavowvyo1qbhsq9o1_500.jpg

ameratsu

Anyone want a Civic SiR with 31.5k original kilometers?

Before you get too excited, I should point out this car costs $1537 per year to insure where I live, and that the 1999 and 2000 SiR models have topped the most stolen car list in Canada for 5 years in a row (2005-2010). Based on this fact I can only assume the civic for sale here has already been stolen, probably more than once :p

Macattk15

Would you prefer "your car sucks" hate, or "my car's better" smug? ;)

I enjoy my car, so I could not really care any less about what other people drive.

If you like what you have .... then great. The only way I'd have car envy is if you have a Tesla S!

J-Rzez

Since this is based on the YZF 450 Raptor which people have gotten road registration for, imagine driving this with tags on roads with other cars! It would be amazing! See a dirt trail off to the side, just flick your wrists and goto town. So much want, to be perfect it just needs to be $5000 (Im sure it'll be $15k :( )

Price of entry is really-really going to make or break this vehicle. I suggested something similar a while ago to a friend, but it involved sport bike motors and building a specific chassis/suspension set up. But that may have ended up too pricey.

I noticed that they have other models there to select from too, which is very-very nice. I'd like to see it with the big raptor 4-stroke.

Price is very important, not just for sales, but also uptake of this "sport segment" which frankly, is a great concept. I'll be following these things very-very closely. Maybe next spring I'd be able to pick one up for fun.

TylerD

I picked up a new 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD in May.

I love it.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3359/lowlight4.jpg

Large American car hate commence.[/QUOTE]

No hate from me! I probably wouldn't own one but the new Charger is a mean looking machine. I am happy you enjoy it.

GT-R says you're 'the lighter the better' philosophy is wrong.

But imagine if the GT-R was lighter and maintained its own philosophy, that would be gorgeous in terms of technical and performance merits.

I was saddened today at work to find that somebody was using an E46 M3 CSL as a daily driver. I've no problem that the vehicle is used, but on a commute...!

But imagine if the GT-R was lighter and maintained its own philosophy, that would be gorgeous in terms of technical and performance merits.

I was saddened today at work to find that somebody was using an E46 M3 CSL as a daily driver. I've no problem that the vehicle is used, but on a commute...!

Really, this is a bad thing? I would drive that car every minute of every day I could if I owned it. I actually have more respect for those people who drive their cars on the regular instead of garaging it for 360 days a year.

That's one hardcore car to drive daily.

ameratsu

[/B]

Really, this is a bad thing? I would drive that car every minute of every day I could if I owned it. I actually have more respect for those people who drive their cars on the regular instead of garaging it for 360 days a year.

It's like that 1000hp GTR that AlphaSnake posted a photo of sitting in gridlock traffic like it was supposed to be impressive. I can appreciate that people actually drive their nice cars, but I can't help but think that M3 or the insane GTR would be better suited to track duty than puttering around town.

[/B]

Like I said, I've no problem with using a rare car, apart from when it's used for a daily commute. It racks up mileage like no tomorrow. It just seems odd to drive a monster of a car on a journey that you endure every day, twice a day which isn't interesting. Why subject a car like that to it?

I hope his journey is full of B-roads and that he has a huge commute.

Like I said, I've no problem with using a rare car, apart from when it's used for a daily commute. It racks up mileage like no tomorrow. It just seems odd to drive a monster of a car on a journey that you endure every day, twice a day which isn't interesting. Why subject a car like that to it?

I can dig that, it definitely would be a pain in bumper-to-bumper traffic. But seriously, if I owned a car that good I don't think I could drive anything else. Everything else you touch would just feel so bland and boring. I drive my E36 M3 everywhere and every day. I know it is not even close to being a "hardcore" car, but I seriously can't see myself driving anything else to work every day.

I can dig that, it definitely would be a pain in bumper-to-bumper traffic. But seriously, if I owned a car that good I don't think I could drive anything else. Everything else you touch would just feel so bland and boring. I drive my E36 M3 everywhere and every day. I know it is not even close to being a "hardcore" car, but I seriously can't see myself driving anything else to work every day.

I think a really bland car might be acceptable for a monotonous commute, purely because neither will be pushed to 1/2 limits! It's not like the CSL swims in luxury either :p

Tell me your E36 is in Estoril blue!!

E36 M3 Owners UNITE

I think a really bland car might be acceptable for a monotonous commute, purely because neither will be pushed to 1/2 limits! It's not like the CSL swims in luxury either :p

Tell me your E36 is in Estoril blue!!

Haha, sorry. It is a 1998 Titanium Silver metallic 4 door, 5 speed. Bought it in Florida like 5 years ago and have loved every minute of driving it since then.

E36 M3 Owners UNITE

Right on man! Been seriously looking into grabbing an E30 and dropping the M3 engine in there. Just waiting for the perfect reason. Also thinking about being blasphemous and dropping an LSX into the E36 if I do remove the engine. Its all dreams right now, but I have been thinking long and hard about it.

Halvie

Banned
Haha, sorry. It is a 1998 Titanium Silver metallic 4 door, 5 speed. Bought it in Florida like 5 years ago and have loved every minute of driving it since then.

Right on man! Been seriously looking into grabbing an E30 and dropping the M3 engine in there. Just waiting for the perfect reason. Also thinking about being blasphemous and dropping an LSX into the E36 if I do remove the engine. Its all dreams right now, but I have been thinking long and hard about it.

this sounds way better than the e30

J-Rzez

It's like that 1000hp GTR that AlphaSnake posted a photo of sitting in gridlock traffic like it was supposed to be impressive. I can appreciate that people actually drive their nice cars, but I can't help but think that M3 or the insane GTR would be better suited to track duty than puttering around town.

I can understand why someone would want to garage queen and track-only their cars, but I also have massive respect for people not afraid to drive their beasts on a daily basis, like that GT-R, or even the MKIV 1400hp Supras.

Either they love their car that much and want to drive it all the time, or you have to wonder, if that's their daily driver, wtf do they have in the garage at home for special use. lol.

I cannot think of a more fun car than a 24v E30.

Viperbah

Agreed, I don't drive my viper everyday mainly because of other people's driving and parking habits.

I have 2 door dings on my RSX and it drives me insane, I think I would hulk out if I found one on my viper.

I cannot think of a more fun car than a 24v E30.

Exactly! A guy down in Tampa whom I met through a BMW message board had it done to his E30 and it was just incredible to drive. So nimble with amazing power delivery, ever since then I have been working my way toward doing it myself.

Exactly! A guy down in Tampa whom I met through a BMW message board had it done to his E30 and it was just incredible to drive. So nimble with amazing power delivery, ever since then I have been working my way toward doing it myself.

Ive got an e30 with an m20 that has over 300k miles on it.

Trying to decide if I want to spend the couple of grand and do it.

What made you think the gt-r will be better if its lighter? C'mon...it already is top tier performance wise.

Even Mizuno the creator of the GT-R said that the weight contribute to the handling. Yeah to some it might be a silly thing to say but the performance of the gt-r says it all...

What made you think the gt-r will be better if its lighter? C'mon...it already is top tier performance wise.

Even Mizuno the creator of the GT-R said that the weight contribute to the handling. Yeah to some it might be a silly thing to say but the performance of the gt-r says it all...

Physics? I'm not saying the car would be better if we simply took weight off magically, the car is optimised to its weight. The car could be optimised again if lightened without the need to re-engineer. It would no doubt be a faster car. Look at the Spec V.

I think Mizuno's comments were regarding the increasing weight to improve weight distribution between LHS, RHS, front and rear.

Why not go for 4 projectors Lexus?!?

2012 LS ass

2013 ls f-sport ass

meh.

Its ass, or it's ass? I'm going to say both because that's how I feel about the aesthetics.

Physics? I'm not saying the car would be better if we simply took weight off magically, the car is optimised to its weight. The car could be optimised again if lightened without the need to re-engineer. It would no doubt be a faster car. Look at the Spec V.

I think Mizuno's comments were regarding the increasing weight to improve weight distribution between LHS, RHS, front and rear.

Its ass, or it's ass? I'm going to say both because that's how I feel about the aesthetics.

The spec V is actually not much lighter than the none spev V version. And each year they are optimizing the GT-R performance ...without having to reduce the weight.

Price of entry is really-really going to make or break this vehicle. I suggested something similar a while ago to a friend, but it involved sport bike motors and building a specific chassis/suspension set up. But that may have ended up too pricey.

I noticed that they have other models there to select from too, which is very-very nice. I'd like to see it with the big raptor 4-stroke.

Price is very important, not just for sales, but also uptake of this "sport segment" which frankly, is a great concept. I'll be following these things very-very closely. Maybe next spring I'd be able to pick one up for fun.

I agree. I got the pleasure to drive (very slowly) a formula-vee. My friend's dad raced them when he was younger at SCCA events and they are basically VW engines in an open wheel racing chassis. I think he spent 7 grand and about a grand a year in upkeep.

I really hope this formula cross will come in kit form and be cheaper than 15k. If they catch on I think it would be the perfect training wheels for bigger cars. Rally racing is tons of fun.

GT-R is actually the same weight as an F1 car when you consider the downforce, which was their benchmark. Pure weight only tells one side of the story.

speedline

Banned
I picked up a new 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD in May.

I love it.

lowlight4.jpg

Large American car hate commence.

Badass man. Don't worry about the Gaf backlash if it comes. There is something special about the unrefined nature of American muscle cars that not everyone understands. Having that big V8 with all that displacement is a very rewarding and thrilling experience!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Badass man. Don't worry about the Gaf backlash if it comes. There is something special about the unrefined nature of American muscle cars that not everyone understands. Having that big V8 with all that displacement is a very rewarding and thrilling experience!

No one's given him any backlash...

It's a pretty kick ass car.

h3ro

Quoting just so people that aren't viewing GAF on Retina MacBooks can see the pic in one screen.

I don't think it's so bad, they're obviously sticking with this style as their brand calling card. If I'm looking for something in this class of car, I'd probably look at the A8 first, then maybe give that gorgeous Jag a spin.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
GT 86 vs. BMW 125i comparison review from German Car mag "Autobild":
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-125i-coupe-toyota-gt-86-vergleich-3539189.html
titled "Toyota beats BMW".

Summary:
It may sound surprising, but comparing the two opponents as sports cars, there can be only one winner: the Toyota GT 86. BMW 125i coupe makes for the more civilized package for everyday life and its engine is a monument in its own right. The better sports car comes from Japan, though. The GT 86 is tuned consistently to dynamic with ultra-agile temperament and precise handling, driving pleasure that does not have to cost 50,000 euros and/or require at least 300 hp. It works without turbo, active suspension and high-tech overkill. Lightweight, rear-wheel drive and high-revving naturally aspirated engine: The old concept still rocks.
Autobild is renowned for favoring german car makers in comparison tests, so this comes as a bit of a surprise.

torontoml

I expect to get a job out of school in January with my current co-op company, and I'm thinking the FR-S might be a good fit. Also considering the Focus ST.

Really hope I get the salary I want, but it all depends on if I get the job and where I am located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom