• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

If the OBS is impreza based, don't those engines have HG problems? I was looking at a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS w/ 160kms and it definitely had at least one bad HG.

Only the 2.5L has that problem afaik, and the OBS has the 2.2L. There's also the normal Outback, which is Legacy wagon-based.

Also, the reason is that I guess the early 2.5s used the same block as the 2.0 and just widened the bore, meaning much thinner cylinder walls (or water passages? Something like that) and I guess they hadn't learned how to deal with that yet. One reason why the 2.5 USDM STi has more low end torque, but feels rougher and runs out of huff in the high end.

J-Rzez

Test drove a BRZ, waiting on the Focus ST now for sure now. The seats are uncomfortable, interior feels really low rent, and the engine is a complete dog. There are more powerful motors in generic people movers, and I'll never understand why they put this lump in there. There's nothing special about, no semi-fun VVTL-i or VTEC even. Going up slight grade hills was annoying, almost too much work for a commuter car. You can tell the car's made to handle though. Those "performance Prius" tires really grip well, complements of the suspension set up, and you have to really work the engine to get it into antics.

I was expecting to drive away in it today, no dice, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't trust any reviews today. Didn't write it off yet, I mean the ST could be so bad somehow that I go with the BRZ, but we'll see.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Test drove a BRZ, waiting on the Focus ST now for sure now. The seats are uncomfortable, interior feels really low rent, and the engine is a complete dog. There are more powerful motors in generic people movers, and I'll never understand why they put this lump in there. There's nothing special about, no semi-fun VVTL-i or VTEC even. Going up slight grade hills was annoying, almost too much work for a commuter car. You can tell the car's made to handle though. Those "performance Prius" tires really grip well, complements of the suspension set up, and you have to really work the engine to get it into antics.

I was expecting to drive away in it today, no dice, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't trust any reviews today. Didn't write it off yet, I mean the ST could be so bad somehow that I go with the BRZ, but we'll see.

Why are your only options those two cars, one of which you hate?

LOL

I think you are doing it wrong.

It's a twisties car like the miata, not a 370Z or a mustang.

That's like 99% of automotive enthusiasts.

ameratsu

Drove a 3dr Saturn Astra last night. It had a CEL on during the test drive and the owner thought it was a very minor issue but had no evidence (like pulling the code) to back it up. The car itself is nice enough and good value for what it is. It's an economy car with some premium features. I am just left scratching my head at GM's 1.8 litre 4-cylinder, which is also present in the Cruze. It doesn't like to rev and feels like it just hangs in the upper rpm range. It is a far cry from the Japanese N/A 4-cylinder cars I am used to driving. Frankly, I had to scratch it off my list because of the engine and because I don't think I trust GM enough to drive it outside of warranty.

KingGondo

Banned
I will NEVER understand why people get 2-door VW GTI's...it's not like it looks any sleeker than the 4 door.
I've got my eyes on a 5-door at the moment. However, I probably won't be in the market for at least another few months, so my infatuation might pass.

TylerD

I've got my eyes on a 5-door at the moment. However, I probably won't be in the market for at least another few months, so my infatuation might pass.

Can you drive a stick? They have a 2012 certified black 3-door GTI with less than 9000 miles at Cable VW on NW 39th. I drove it last Tuesday night after work and was pretty impressed with it. I would want one with leather and HIDs but the interior quality was pretty good aside from the cheap\flimsy feeling power mirror adjuster. Steering wheel felt awesome in my hands and I dig the racing style flat bottom.

The ride was a nice compromise between sport and comfort from what I could tell over the limited roads I went over. Exhaust and engine sounds aggressive but not overly so. It seemed like a great little car and would be a great balance between fun and practical.

The guy at the dealership said that there is very little difference between the 3 and 5-door and pointed out the extra long front doors on the 3 compared to a 5. I think the weight difference is negligible as well.

J-Rzez

LOL

What? I think I complemented it's suspension. And I drive a decently modded Evo VIII now, and it's as much of a "twisties" car as a miata, unless "twisties" stands for "underpowered" these days, which my Evo isn't. The BRZ's motor is a dog though, IMHO. Only way I will buy this car is if the Focus ST turns out to be a real pile.

Drove an Abarth, didn't care for it for various reasons, can see why certain people would find it appealing, like my friend's GF who owns it. Don't like Golfs. Don't like MS3. The Veloster turbo doesn't appeal to me based on it's performance numbers, previews, looks (in person). Don't want a luxury type car. Don't want a CUV.

Want:
- Sporty looking
- Fun
- Acceptable interior
- Feels good
- Decent MPGs

This is for a commuter car, daily beater. It still has to do well in those criteria. So, I did my research, narrowed it down, thus I wanted to try them out. I had a feeling about the BRZ as I had a low HP, low TQ, lightweight car before with my Celica GT-S (fwd though), and I think the 2ZZ-GE is a more fun motor, and they should have evolved upon that for the BRZ's motor (VVTL-i). Still, i gave all the rave reviewers and the car a shot, and man, some of them blew some of it's good qualities out of complete proportion, while glossing and undermining it's flaws. It's hard for me to go back to a car like this in the first place coming from a car with twice the power all around, but in the end it felt as expected. I was shocked how much playing you have to do get it to kick out at times.

Since it's a daily beater, disposable car, I don't want to pay a lot for it, 32k tops. I have other toys to buy for my Evo, and for a nice weather car.

Satisfied?

ascii42

Drove a 3dr Saturn Astra last night. It had a CEL on during the test drive and the owner thought it was a very minor issue but had no evidence (like pulling the code) to back it up. The car itself is nice enough and good value for what it is. It's an economy car with some premium features. I am just left scratching my head at GM's 1.8 litre 4-cylinder, which is also present in the Cruze. It doesn't like to rev and feels like it just hangs in the upper rpm range. It is a far cry from the Japanese N/A 4-cylinder cars I am used to driving. Frankly, I had to scratch it off my list because of the engine and because I don't think I trust GM enough to drive it outside of warranty.

Why doesn't the guy just go to Autozone or whatever and get the code read? It would probably be easier to sell if he at least knew what was wrong with it (Or maybe he does know already and it's something expensive).
I'm curious why they never did a Redline version. I guess they didn't have the chance before getting closed down. It would probably be fun with any of the engines they put in the Cobalt SS. My sister's Cobalt XFE has a 2.2L I4 that puts out 150hp, I think. Even that would be an improvement.

Edit: 155 hp for the Cobalt, apparently.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
LOL

370Z is every bit of a twisties car as the Miata. It's just more difficult to manage the extra power, but if you're not an idiot looking to powerslide around every corner...it's a ton of fun.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm confused.

Aren't Evos and STIs twisties cars, too? Or do they not count because they weigh 3300-3500lb?

I can take my Speed6 around a corner just fine even if it weighs 3600lbs -- and it doesn't lack the "fun" aspect one bit.

KingGondo

Banned
Can you drive a stick? They have a 2012 certified black 3-door GTI with less than 9000 miles at Cable VW on NW 39th. I drove it last Tuesday night after work and was pretty impressed with it. I would want one with leather and HIDs but the interior quality was pretty good aside from the cheapflimsy feeling power mirror adjuster. Steering wheel felt awesome in my hands and I dig the racing style flat bottom.

The ride was a nice compromise between sport and comfort from what I could tell over the limited roads I went over. Exhaust and engine sounds aggressive but not overly so. It seemed like a great little car and would be a great balance between fun and practical.

The guy at the dealership said that there is very little difference between the 3 and 5-door and pointed out the extra long front doors on the 3 compared to a 5. I think the weight difference is negligible as well.
Yep, my first car was a manual. I've been itching to get another one ever since we sold it when I went to college.

Unfortunately, I probably won't start seriously looking until I'm established and working closer to OKC. I currently drive a LOT (at least 3k miles/month) and don't want it to depreciate too quickly.

Thanks for the impressions. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm confused.

Aren't Evos and STIs twisties cars, too? Or do they not count because they weigh 3300-3500lb?

I can take my Speed6 around a corner just fine even if it weighs 3600lbs -- and it doesn't lack the "fun" aspect one bit.

Some people enjoy being 'challenged' by the steering and throttle balance, even if it results in slower cornering.

How is that exclusive to a car like the BRZ?

I didn't see the conversation as you didn't quote them... I never said it was exclusive to anything!

In my opinion- Throttle/steering input is less fun with Scoobs/Evos than two wheel driven cars, but that's just my vision of enjoyment. This comment totally ignores bhp count though.

bcl0328

What? I think I complemented it's suspension. And I drive a decently modded Evo VIII now, and it's as much of a "twisties" car as a miata, unless "twisties" stands for "underpowered" these days, which my Evo isn't. The BRZ's motor is a dog though, IMHO. Only way I will buy this car is if the Focus ST turns out to be a real pile.

Drove an Abarth, didn't care for it for various reasons, can see why certain people would find it appealing, like my friend's GF who owns it. Don't like Golfs. Don't like MS3. The Veloster turbo doesn't appeal to me based on it's performance numbers, previews, looks (in person). Don't want a luxury type car. Don't want a CUV.

Want:
- Sporty looking
- Fun
- Acceptable interior
- Feels good
- Decent MPGs

This is for a commuter car, daily beater. It still has to do well in those criteria. So, I did my research, narrowed it down, thus I wanted to try them out. I had a feeling about the BRZ as I had a low HP, low TQ, lightweight car before with my Celica GT-S (fwd though), and I think the 2ZZ-GE is a more fun motor, and they should have evolved upon that for the BRZ's motor (VVTL-i). Still, i gave all the rave reviewers and the car a shot, and man, some of them blew some of it's good qualities out of complete proportion, while glossing and undermining it's flaws. It's hard for me to go back to a car like this in the first place coming from a car with twice the power all around, but in the end it felt as expected. I was shocked how much playing you have to do get it to kick out at times.

Since it's a daily beater, disposable car, I don't want to pay a lot for it, 32k tops. I have other toys to buy for my Evo, and for a nice weather car.

Satisfied?

328i

reilo

I didn't see the conversation as you didn't quote them...

In my opinion- Throttle/steering input is less fun with Scoobs/Evos than two wheel driven cars, but that's just my vision of enjoyment. This comment totally ignores bhp count though.

The original quote:

LOL

My assertion is that any of those cars can be deemed "twisties cars". The assertion that Mustangs, 370Zs, STIs, Evos (which J-Rzez talked about), aren't "twisties" cars is downright absurd.

Large%20Image.png

IMG_3915_web.jpg

I want this. STILLEN converts an ATV into a mini rally car. VIMEO LINK.

Halvie

Banned
Yep, my first car was a manual. I've been itching to get another one ever since we sold it when I went to college.

Unfortunately, I probably won't start seriously looking until I'm established and working closer to OKC. I currently drive a LOT (at least 3k miles/month) and don't want it to depreciate too quickly.

Thanks for the impressions. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

if it is at all feasible I would suggest to at least wait for the mkvii announcement. Going by the initial a3 impressions the next one should be a decent upgrade. Obviously doesn't work if you need a car soon though...

reilo

Yeah, next A3 looks to be killer. Quattro, only 3000lbs, and Turbo-4? Yes please.

KingGondo

Banned
if it is at all feasible I would suggest to at least wait for the mkvii announcement. Going by the initial a3 impressions the next one should be a decent upgrade. Obviously doesn't work if you need a car soon though...
Nope, I'm in no rush at all, thankfully.

I can afford to wait, thanks for the advice.

Halvie

Banned
Wow, that looks awesome. I'll have to put it on my list.

Any other similar cars I should consider?

pls don't fool yourself into thinking the 3-door looks any sleeker :D

tons of interesting cars coming in the next year or so. One reason I am iffy on ditching mine. Want to wait to see what is all released.

Does anyone know if we are getting the 135 hatch?

ascii42

tons of interesting cars coming in the next year or so. One reason I am iffy on ditching mine. Want to wait to see what is all released.

Last I read, we are not.

KingGondo

Banned

I like the 5-door just fine. That's probably what I'll go for.

AlphaSnake

It looks so terrible... All of it...!

Lexus' designs have been rather shit and bland historically. They're too scared to do anything PAST a square or rectangular shape. So instead they take rectangular headlights and insert 3 projectors into them...and just ever so slightly updated the taillight housing. This is the F-Sport model though, so the standard one will look probably even MORE bland.

My buddy's dad has a 2011 LS460L...I've driven it often enough when hanging out with my buddy...and it's about the most boring experience you can have behind the wheel of a car.

Lexus' designs have been rather shit and bland historically. They're too scared to do anything PAST a square or rectangular shape. So instead they take rectangular headlights and insert 3 projectors into them...and just ever so slightly updated the taillight housing. This is the F-Sport model though, so the standard one will look probably even MORE bland.

My buddy's dad has a 2011 LS460L...I've driven it often enough when hanging out with my buddy...and it's about the most boring experience you can have behind the wheel of a car.

Triple projectors look so dumb, especially if they're just in a line.

I didn't mind their IS line, safe but appealing aesthetically. They'll no doubt ruin that too.

On an unrelated now, I need to stop looking at potentially 'half-way cars' until the F-Type comes out!

ascii42

I never minded the fact that Lexus designs were bland. I saw it as the opposite of the "Look at me, I got money" sort of designs that other manufacturers such as Cadillac like to have. A Lexus is a nice car without having to shout it. That predator grille is...unfortunate, however.

And what the hell is the point of a LS F-Sport? That's like, the last car that should have a performance model.

N-Bomb

My assertion is that any of those cars can be deemed "twisties cars". The assertion that Mustangs, 370Zs, STIs, Evos (which J-Rzez talked about), aren't "twisties" cars is downright absurd.

When you're talking about twisties, the lighter the better. (until the point where you don't have enough mass to do anything, obv.)

AlphaSnake

I never minded the fact that Lexus designs were bland. I saw it as the opposite of the "Look at me, I got money" sort of designs that other manufacturers such as Cadillac like to have. A Lexus is a nice car without having to shout it. That predator grille is...unfortunate, however.

And what the hell is the point of a LS F-Sport? That's like, the last car that should have a performance model.

The same point as having an S63 AMG. An Alpina B7. Audi S8. etc.

The original quote:

True, I meant that the miata, FR-S and RX8 are more momentum cars. It takes work to take them to the edge and it's all about trying to use the car's lightness not their power to take a corner as fast as possible.

Something like the cars you listed are true sports cars, but they rely on throttle to control the car.

It's just two different types of sports cars and driving styles. One is not better than the other, just different.

I like lighter cars like the miata because they give you more enjoyment at a lower speed.

GT-R says you're 'the lighter the better' philosophy is wrong.

That's a completely different animal, though.

N-Bomb

GT-R says you're 'the lighter the better' philosophy is wrong.

Exige says it isn't. Also, you don't drive a GT-R, you kind of just pick a direction and hope the computer allows you to go there.

I think it was Chris Harris that said "Horsepower is a consolation prize" these days, and I truly agree with him. Car got too piggy from excess luxury/safety/'driving aids'? Add some more power so we can get that 0-60 time down.

Halvie

Banned
Exige says it isn't. Also, you don't drive a GT-R, you kind of just pick a direction and hope the computer allows you to go there.

I think it was Chris Harris that said "Horsepower is a consolation prize" these days, and I truly agree with him. Car got too piggy from excess luxury/safety/'driving aids'? Add some more power so we can get that 0-60 time down.

add general size to that as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom