• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagete

You can calibrate to detect a vehicle going from 60 to 0 in 120 feet but it's not as easy to accelerate a car from 0 to 60 in the same distance.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I can't do this anymore. Fuck Honda and their shitty cars. I was going to buy a S2000 before the end of the summer too but no, no more.

Bought a 2004 Civic in 2008 off lease with 24,500km. All was well unit the warranty went.

As of now I need to replace the following:

All 4 struts
All the bushings
Front sway bar
AC compressor
Both Axles
Inner/Outer tie rods
Ball joints

and now I can't even open the fucking drivers side door because the cylinder is fucked.

The car has 84,823km on it. Maintained religiously. I can't fucking do it anymore. I just can't.

Never, never have I driven a bigger piece of shit than this piece of shit. I hope someone fucking t bones me or slams into the back of this fucking piece of shit junk. I hope it gets fucking wrecked.

Lesson of the day? My New Yorker, Tempo, Crown Vic, Cavalier have been more reliable with just oil changes than this fucking hunk of shit.

Fuck you Honda. You'll never get another penny out of me.

Ash_69

Regarding the tracker, the insurance is by admiral by bell. Apparently, it measures acceleration, braking, cornering speed, the lot. If I go over 100mph, the rescind cover. Half way through the year, they can adjust my rates based on the data collected and I'm provided with an online dashboard to show how I am doing. I'm using this cover to build my no claims bonus and will switch provider as soon as I can.

Even though I've never been involved in an accident, I don't have a ncb as I've always been a named driver on the policy as opposed to the main driver.

Ps- I'm in the uk where big brother likes to watch you sleep, wank etc.

N-Bomb

I can't do this anymore. Fuck Honda and their shitty cars. I was going to buy a S2000 before the end of the summer too but no, no more.

Bought a 2004 Civic in 2008 off lease with 24,500km. All was well unit the warranty went.

Lesson of the day? My New Yorker, Tempo, Crown Vic, Cavalier have been more reliable with just oil changes than this fucking hunk of shit.

Perhaps you could find out if this is covered by lemon law?

kharma45

Regarding the tracker, the insurance is by admiral by bell. Apparently, it measures acceleration, braking, cornering speed, the lot. If I go over 100mph, the rescind cover. Half way through the year, they can adjust my rates based on the data collected and I'm provided with an online dashboard to show how I am doing. I'm using this cover to build my no claims bonus and will switch provider as soon as I can.

Even though I've never been involved in an accident, I don't have a ncb as I've always been a named driver on the policy as opposed to the main driver.

Ps- I'm in the uk where big brother likes to watch you sleep, wank etc.

Could be worse, could be something very tight like 80mph.

It's not too bad a system though if it works out cheaper and helps build up a no-claims quickly, will probably become the de-facto option for young drivers soon enough.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Perhaps you could find out if this is covered by lemon law?

Yeah I've started reading up on it. No lemon laws in Canada but there is another thing similar. I doubt it'll go anywhere but we'll see. In the mean time I just have to keep my repairs in order and have it all documented.

Love the Subbie btw:p

N-Bomb

Yeah I've started reading up on it. No lemon laws in Canada but there is another thing similar. I doubt it'll go anywhere but we'll see. In the mean time I just have to keep my repairs in order and have it all documented.

Love the Subbie btw:p

Good luck. And thanks. Just a couple bugs to iron out, and then I can start to work on my car meself.

I've been looking at a 2010 gti 4 door at my local dealership. Drove great but I am not too familiar with gti/vw.

Considering everything, reliability, cost of parts, fuel mileage, insurance, depreciation, my being in college, is this a good choice for me?

If you guys don't remember the other car I am looking at is a 2012 tc. Thanks guys the help.

ascii42

I've been looking at a 2010 gti 4 door at my local dealership. Drove great but I am not too familiar with gti/vw.

Considering everything, reliability, cost of parts, fuel mileage, insurance, depreciation, my being in college, is this a good choice for me?

If you guys don't remember the other car I am looking at is a 2012 tc. Thanks guys the help.

Could you tell us more about the GTI? What sort of warranty is left on it, How many miles, price, etc. Cost of parts shouldn't be a problem for a while, one should hope. Not sure what to tell you in terms of overall cost/value, your financial situation seems to be quite a bit different than mine was when I was in college. When I was in college I had a 14 year old Geo Metro Convertible for a little while. After that I drove a 10-12 year old Volvo 960 wagon for a couple years, before eventually getting the '76 Olds Ninety-Eight I still have. So whatever you get, it'll be a worth a hell of a lot more than what I had.

If I were in your position, though, I'd go for the GTI over the tC.

Here is a link for the posting

http://www.elkgrovevw.com/elk-grove...eType_Passenger Car~Price1_~Make_~Model_GTI/1

I believe the car salesman told me that the 3 year warranty starts when sold new so there's only months left on it. I THINK that's what he said. He was mostly talking to my sister while I checked out the car.

And yeah I am grateful that I get a choice of decent cars. I've worked since I was 14 though so I've been working for this for a long time. No rich parents here.

ascii42

blanky

Here is a link for the posting

http://www.elkgrovevw.com/elk-grove...eType_Passenger Car~Price1_~Make_~Model_GTI/1

I believe the car salesman told me that the 3 year warranty starts when sold new so there's only months left on it. I THINK that's what he said. He was mostly talking to my sister while I checked out the car.

And yeah I am grateful that I get a choice of decent cars. I've worked since I was 14 though so I've been working for this for a long time. No rich parents here.

I Think OnkelC has a very similar GTi, maybe you should ask him for his opinion

ruxtpin

Banned
I now have something to add to this topic...

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Mine! =D

Pm sent to onklc.

^also beautiful. Rims are gorgeous. Please for the love of GAF do not put black rims on the car. Sick and tired of seeing cars getting ruined with ugly black rims.

ruxtpin

Banned
oh no. No black rims for me. Took me a bit to find a 6-speed with the sports package. I really like the stock wheels, so it worked out.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wow, that was a fast pick up. Didn't think you'd be posting pics so soon after PMing me. Hahaha.

Glad to see another member with a Z. Feels good. My forces are growing :D

TylerD

I drove a 2005 and a 2006 330i back to back yesterday and really enjoyed the e46.

26895370808.327497844.IM1.02.565x421_A.565x377.jpg

I think a well maintained 330i ZHP is the target for now.

aznpxdd

Man, even the Z's have LED DRL's now?

Funny how Audi already ditched the "dot dot dot" LED DRL that they started. The new Audi headlights look awesome.

paskowitz

Thanks guys. Now I need to get looking!

If it is at all possible check the chassis mounts and suspension bushings. The first upgrades you are going to want are a anti roll bar and some stiffer springs. The car has a great engine and transmission but a fair amount of body roll. After that, get a good set of summer and all season tires and you will be set.

Dead Man

If it is at all possible check the chassis mounts and suspension bushings. The first upgrades you are going to want are a cross brace and some stiffer springs. The car has a great engine and transmission but a fair amount of body roll. After that, get a good set of summer and all season tires and you will be set.

Live in Australia, only one season here :) But thanks for the tips.

sca2511

GTI for sure. I own a 2012 GTI and it's been my dream car since I was in highschool. My understanding reading various VW forums is that the mk6 generation is more reliable than the mk5. Keep in mind that the 4 door has wind buffeting, which happens when you open one of the rear windows or the moonroof(slide, not tilt) without opening any of the front two windows. It creates wind pressure and it'll feel like there's an earthquake in your car. Everytime I let my dog get some air when he's a the back, I have to crack open a window at the front to keep it normal. The maximum mileage I've gotten on one tank was 350ish miles with 25 miles left to go (determined by range). Not sure on the rest, but if college is far or you're worried about gas mileage, rather get a Golf TDI. I'd think it's a good choice for you if you want a good interior, enough pep to keep the ride fun, and pretty good gas mileage. Looks like I should of got mine used, the price you're getting it for is around 10k less than I paid!

I owned a 2004 tC before and I sat in a 2012 tC at a car show and I wasn't really impressed.

ascii42

Keep in mind that the 4 door has wind buffeting, which happens when you open one of the rear windows or the moonroof(slide, not tilt) without opening any of the front two windows. It creates wind pressure and it'll feel like there's an earthquake in your car. Everytime I let my dog get some air when he's a the back, I have to crack open a window at the front to keep it normal.

I don't think that sort of thing is that unusual, I've experienced it in other cars as well.

sca2511

I don't think that sort of thing is that unusual, I've experienced it in other cars as well.

I've only experienced it in the GTI/Golf. I've heard some Mazdas have this as well, though I drove my GFs 2004 Mazda 3 with no issue. When it first happened to me, I didn't know what was going on. I thought my car was going to fall apart. What cars have you drove that have the same issue?

bcl0328

I've only experienced it in the GTI/Golf. I've heard some Mazdas have this as well, though I drove my GFs 2004 Mazda 3 with no issue. When it first happened to me, I didn't know what was going on. I thought my car was going to fall apart. What cars have you drove that have the same issue?

every 4 door ever.

AlexMogil

My Sti sounds like a bass drum solo at any decent speed.

ruxtpin

Banned
Wow, that was a fast pick up. Didn't think you'd be posting pics so soon after PMing me. Hahaha.

Glad to see another member with a Z. Feels good. My forces are growing :D

They had my gunmetal with the sports package and manual. I busted my ass the last 3 years to get through school. Landed a great job and when my girl told me she thought I should reward myself... Well, who am I to argue with that?

My favorite car for wind buffeting was my 924S. If you took the sunroof out and didn't put the wind screen up it would play the car like the Devil's flute. Above 60mph the sound throughout the car would be deafening and the pressure fluctuations would be near painful to the ears. It was something to do with airflow over the hatch but, whatever it was, it was incredible.

ameratsu

This is probably a long shot, but if anyone in the Calgary, AB area is willing to go look at a car for me, please PM me. I live a bit far away to do so myself. Thanks

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Man, even the Z's have LED DRL's now?

Funny how Audi already ditched the "dot dot dot" LED DRL that they started. The new Audi headlights look awesome.

They don't. What you're seeing is a reflection in ruxtpin's pictures. The 2013 370Zs have sidemarkers with LEDs in them, but not in the headlight.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

All 4 struts
All the bushings
Front sway bar
AC compressor
Both Axles
Inner/Outer tie rods
Ball joints

and now I can't even open the fucking drivers side door because the cylinder is fucked.

The car has 84,823km on it. Maintained religiously. I can't fucking do it anymore. I just can't.

Never, never have I driven a bigger piece of shit than this piece of shit. I hope someone fucking t bones me or slams into the back of this fucking piece of shit junk. I hope it gets fucking wrecked.

Sounds like bad luck.

Is it just me or do cars from 2003-2004 seem to be almost universally shit? 2003 seems especially bad. When looking through reliability charts 2003 always sticks out as a particularly bad year and 2004 isn't much better.

Still sucks, though.

N-Bomb

Sounds like bad luck.

Is it just me or do cars from 2003-2004 seem to be almost universally shit? 2003 seems especially bad. When looking through reliability charts 2003 always sticks out as a particularly bad year and 2004 isn't much better.

Still sucks, though.

My friend is on his third engine now, in his coupe, among other things.

2011. One window down and it's a buffeting nightmare!

Ahhh. Weird. Your generation has the full-frame windows, right? I wonder that has something to do with it. Mad buffetting from the back windows when my friend was test driving a mid-2000s TL.

Culex

Banned
Sounds like bad luck.

Still sucks, though.

I'd say bad luck. My 2004 Civic EX drove like a champ before I bought a newer car. I swear the engine had no horsepower, but it felt indestructible even at high revs.

Only downside is that the passenger side airbag malfunctioned, so I had the airbag light on my dash for a few years....would have cost over 3k to fix.

TylerD

Only downside is that the passenger side airbag malfunctioned, so I had the airbag light on my dash for a few years....would have cost over 3k to fix.

My 03 Accord EX V6 has a wide array of diagnostic lights on right now but I am pretty sure they are all attributed to a stuck float in my brake fluid reservoir. My parking brake light stays on because it is the same one for brake fluid, that disables my TCS so that light is on, then there is the general TCS disabled warning light on. Sometimes my airbag light comes on randomly for a couple of days at a time as well.

Other than that and a cracked windshield that stopped about 5/6ths the way across and is under my sight line it is in great shape for having 131k miles. That 3L V6 is a pretty sweet engine.

Viperbah

All 4 struts
All the bushings
Front sway bar
AC compressor
Both Axles
Inner/Outer tie rods
Ball joints

That sucks man, all of my Hondas have been great for me. I had an 04 civic as well, ran all the way up to 200k before selling it.

I wouldn't let one bad experience steer you away from an S2000, they are great cars.

A lot of those things you mentioned about your civic seem like the car was driven way too hard. Previous owner probably beat the shit out of it.

krzy123

My 03 Accord EX V6 has a wide array of diagnostic lights on right now but I am pretty sure they are all attributed to a stuck float in my brake fluid reservoir. My parking brake light stays on because it is the same one for brake fluid, that disables my TCS so that light is on, then there is the general TCS disabled warning light on. Sometimes my airbag light comes on randomly for a couple of days at a time as well.

Other than that and a cracked windshield that stopped about 5/6ths the way across and is under my sight line it is in great shape for having 131k miles. That 3L V6 is a pretty sweet engine.

Same car here (yr & model), mine use to have the TCS,ABS warnings/lights on all the time, apparently from googling it meant one of the wheel sensors was "bad", but this can be caused by dirt or water in the sensor as well. It happened when i spun my tires in some snow, continously activating the TCS (wtf). Anyways, I got in a minor accident, and the repair shop checked it out, and reset the cpu/memory, lights never came back.

Car's been like a tank though, ~120k miles here.

kharma45

Not mine unfortunately (although hopefully I'll eventually get a drive in it) but my Dad got a new C7 A6 recently, pretty taken on how it looks.

AztpjRbCEAA7HKb.jpg:large

Really nice upgrade from his C6 one, feels like a totally different car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom