• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandemic

Not mine unfortunately (although hopefully I'll eventually get a drive in it) but my Dad got a new C7 A6 recently, pretty taken on how it looks.

AztpjRbCEAA7HKb.jpg:large

Really nice upgrade from his C6 one, feels like a totally different car.

Oh wow, how much do they cost (assuming you're in America)?

Noticed the steering wheel, UK?

kharma45

Oh wow, how much do they cost (assuming you're in America)?

Noticed the steering wheel, UK?

Yeah I'm in the UK.

Range starts with us for £30,495 (around $48,000) before you add any options to it, although he didn't buy his brand new, this one had 4,500 miles on it before we got our hands on it so you save a decent bit over a brand new one.

Pandemic

Oh okay, looks like an awesome car. I can only imagine how much it'd cost for a car like that here in Australia, 100,000+ for sure.

How much dooes the top of the range Ford Focus 2012 cost in the UK? And the US if anyone can answer.

ascii42

Oh okay, looks like an awesome car. I can only imagine how much it'd cost for a car like that here in Australia, 100,000+ for sure.

How much dooes the top of the range Ford Focus 2012 cost in the UK? And the US if anyone can answer.

In the US, the Ford Focus Titanium starts around $23k-24k. Fully loaded, it's around $27k I think.

kharma45

A top of the range Focus here is the 2.0 TDCi 163PS Titanium X, and it costs either £24,550 (around AU$37,000) for the 5-door hatcback or £25,650 (around AU$38,500) for the estate version before you add on any optional extras.

A ridiculous price for a car like that.

Pandemic

In the US, the Ford Focus Titanium starts around $23k-24k. Fully loaded, it's around $27k I think.

Oh okay, in Australia it's around 38,000-42,000 with all the extras. I'm jealous of the car prices in the US. :(

Edit: oh, so Australia is pretty similar to the UK. Would've thought its just as cheap as the US.

kharma45

Oh okay, in Australia it's around 38,000-42,000 with all the extras. I'm jealous of the car prices in the US. :(

Edit: oh, so Australia is pretty similar to the UK. Would've thought its just as cheap as the US.

With all the extras on it you'll be talking more still, that 2.0 TDCI 5-door can cost up to £29,000 once you add on extras, the same price as the ST one.

Edit - Do the Americans get the same Focus as us?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
That sucks man, all of my Hondas have been great for me. I had an 04 civic as well, ran all the way up to 200k before selling it.

I wouldn't let one bad experience steer you away from an S2000, they are great cars.

A lot of those things you mentioned about your civic seem like the car was driven way too hard. Previous owner probably beat the shit out of it.

The engine and transmission run great. Still sounds new it's just everything else. I'm going to start with replacing the bushings with polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension then move on to the axles and struts. Going to change the rear drums/shoes in the next few weeks.

The previous owner was a 60 year old grandmother that only drove to the grocery store/church. I kid you not.

I've questioned my driving habits and compared them to previous vehicles I've owned and I drive my Civic like a saint. It's too bad as I loved Honda.

Viperbah

The engine and transmission run great. Still sounds new it's just everything else. I'm going to start with replacing the bushings with polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension then move on to the axles and struts. Going to change the rear drums/shoes in the next few weeks.

Ugh, yeah that's a lot of work. I hate working on suspension and brakes. Brake shoes are such a bitch. I assume your doing this yourself?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I hate drums too. Such a tedious process. Adjusted them a few months back but it's time to replace.

I'll have my mechanic do the bushings as I don't have the tools for that and the struts are simple enough.

Not looking forward to the inner tie rods though. Fuck. Just as bad as drum brakes haha.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just what we were waiting for! a New Chris Harris video: GT86 VS 370Z VS CAYMAN. We finally get to see how much better the Toyobaru is than the Z!

http://youtu.be/JUhLXvxlQR4

(edit - be nice if we could embed videos.)
That's pretty interesting... so they made a car that's happy to drift a bit before it corrects itself or you correct it. It pretty much goes against the tight road grip philosophy of all the normal sports cars.

That's pretty interesting... so they made a car that's happy to drift a bit before it corrects itself or you correct it. It pretty much goes against the tight road grip philosophy of all the normal sports cars.

I'd say that's because it runs low resistance Prius tyres, this shows that the car is balanced very well.

I don't know that LRR = low grip. I don't know that it doesn't, either, but I was under the impression that the two don't necessarily go together.

My bad, it probably doesn't, but I can't imagine Prius tyres to be particularly grippy or even comparable to what's equipped on your average 200 bhp sporty car.

Shawsie64

Banned
427393_10151024711208611_190268514_n.jpg

Sold my car on the weekend ;( farewell noble steed!

Onto an NA Miata now, something cheap and fun that wont break the bank (trying to get a house)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Still not all that impressed. Cheaper or faster. Has to have more of one of them.
It's met expectations. That's impressive to me.

Toyota is probably going to come off as the winner with Tesla tech and Tesla is probably going to be bought out.
IDK about that. If Tesla meets their goals of 5K Model S vehicles built this year, and start paying off the federal loans soon, they have a very good chance at survival. Elon Musk bet the farm on this company, not to mention SpaceX. He wants to see this through.

Just what we were waiting for! a New Chris Harris video: GT86 VS 370Z VS CAYMAN. We finally get to see how much better the Toyobaru is than the Z!

http://youtu.be/JUhLXvxlQR4

(edit - be nice if we could embed videos.)

I love Chris Harris' reviews, he always gets so wrapped up in them you can't help but dive right in.

It's a shame you can't get a good condition Cayman S for anywhere near that price in the states. I gotta say that, when the Cayman first showed up in the video with the flat 6 howl I thought, "Christ, why do other companies even bother competing?"

Halvie

Banned
It's met expectations. That's impressive to me.

Certainly an improvement, but I don't get why anyone into cars with the cash to buy one would. Assume it will continue to improve though and be a better deal in the future.

And obviously not looking at it from the perspective of a normal car buyer...but this is an enthusiast thread :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Certainly an improvement, but I don't get why anyone into cars with the cash to buy one would. Assume it will continue to improve though and be a better deal in the future.

And obviously not looking at it from the perspective of a normal car buyer...but this is an enthusiast thread :D
I think it has swappable batteries, so when there's battery improvements, it can be added with almost no modifications.

iamblades

There are way worse cars people with that kind of money could buy, and no one complains about them.

I have no real doubt they will meet their sales target, even if only from the status symbol market.

The question is not about their sales for the first couple years, it's about whether they can make a profit at that price and bring out lower priced models at a reasonable pace as the tech matures.

sca2511

Not sure if it's been posted, but have you guys seen the Passat Alltrack?

AWD with diesel available, me likey. Hoping to see it in the US, most likely not though.

edit: nevermind, old news. Still like it though.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
My mechanic has been booked solid the last few days and I was sick and tired of not being able to open my drivers side door due to the bad key cylinder. I took it to Palladino Honda. Ughh.

I took my door panel off to minimize labour or so I thought. I would've done the replacement but I just couldn't get the clips off.

Anyways a guaranteed 15 minute max job turned into 1 hour and 15 minutes. They wanted to charge me $160 labour. I went over the invoice with them.

I bought the cylinder yesterday and had it matched. They thought they had to again +30 minutes

The door panel that was removed before them getting the car had to be removed again +15 minutes

The replacing of the cylinder took 15 minutes. Fair enough.

So it has been just over an hour so I peek into the shop and they are putting the fucking door panel back on.

I fucking lost it. A 15 minute job turned into this fucking bullshit and they tell me not to worry because they won't charge me for the removal?! What the fuck it was already removed you fucking idiots. After telling their mechanic to fuck off, their manager to fuck off, service coordinator to suck a dick I payed for 15 minutes of labour ($32) placed my money on the ground and told them to pick it up like the scum they are.

And I'm out.

I just realized the panel they were putting wasn't even from my car! Mine is at home. Wtf?! Is this real life!?!

N-Bomb

Who else loves crash tests?

The IIHS has a new type of test that is smashing cars real good.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/iihs-ne...-test-8-of-11-luxury-cars-perform-poorly.html

more vids:
http://youtu.be/IcSDBrlHbCo
http://youtu.be/Ob7BhzpPvNY
http://youtu.be/FXhSwflZxkI

It'll be interesting to see how quickly these cars start performing better

LOVE new crash tests! RAH!

My mechanic has been booked solid the last few days and I was sick and tired of not being able to open my drivers side door due to the bad key cylinder. I took it to Palladino Honda. Ughh.

And I'm out.

I just realized the panel they were putting on a door panel wasn't even from my car! Mine is at home. Wtf?! Is this real life?!

Holy crap that's bad. Service and competency are a lost art these days. I don't know what happened!

About the Model S - one interesting thing I noticed is that the rear brakes are the bigger ones? Huwhaa?!

And holy shit! Almost 5000 lbs! That's two of my old Celicas!

Any word on when the new 2013 Fusions will be hitting dealerships?

I really need a new car ASAP, but have been trying to hold out until the Fusions start showing up.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Jesus the Audi/Volks and the Fusion crashes were brutal. I thought the BMW one was bad at first before seeing the cabin view and it seemed pretty good. Even Lexus blew it, damn.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Not mine unfortunately (although hopefully I'll eventually get a drive in it) but my Dad got a new C7 A6 recently, pretty taken on how it looks.

AztpjRbCEAA7HKb.jpg:large

Really nice upgrade from his C6 one, feels like a totally different car.

Yep. I used to have a fully loaded C6 4.2L and got a Supercharged C7...world of a difference. Practically different league of car. Interior is second to none.

Still not all that impressed. Cheaper or faster. Has to have more of one of them.

Yep.

Shots busted!

Pein

Banned
Bought a is300 as a project car, gonna fix it and than turbo it. Also gonna start lightly modding my G35 hopefully I can get 270-280whp with just bolt ons.

Halvie

Banned
Were the wheels stolen?

sold em for hre r40s. Never even used these ones. Just been sitting in my closet. Ended up getting the flat bronze volk caps for the te37.

also have a t25 gt28rs and t25 gt3071 w/ billet wheel sitting around if anyone is interested.

Ovid

Oooooo....congrats dude. For some reason that car looks better than the Toyota version.

I have to post pics of my new ride too. Still breaking it in too. Haven't gone over 4000 RPMs yet.

TylerD

Couldn't find the show off your car thread so I'm posting those here. Got this a couple of weeks ago.

Will take some full body pictures once the sun comes up. Enjoying it so far, still breaking it in.

Congrats on your BRZ!

I am still waiting for a chance to drive one. Looked at a BRZ and a FRS in the dealer showrooms. Sitting in the BRZ got me excited because it just felt right. The only dealer that has got BRZs so far in my area has them all optioned as limited with the rear diffuser and homelink rear view mirror. They have sold all of them for over 35k.

So, here is the list of cars I have test driven over the past several months and some brief notes and my impressions. I revised my planned maximum spending from around 30k to 20k recently due to the possibility of having a very travel heavy job for the next 5 or more years.
--------------------------------------

+2008 Acura TL Type S - felt like a much nicer Accord, tons of center stack buttons and very busy steering wheel controls. Pretty quick but not looking for FWD and 280 with wrong wheel drive is too much. Would have to get a manual for the LSD. The best looking TL gen by far and still very handsome. Still want to drive a manual type-S if I can find one. Heard very good things about it.

+2008 B7 Audi A4 2.0T FWD with a CVT - First Audi I ever drove, very impressed with the build quality (doors, trunk, hood, clicky console buttons) not so much the CVT and power seemed a little lacking. Selecting "gears" with the paddles on a CVT felt wrong.

+2005 B7 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro and a MT - enjoyed this much more than the FWD, CVT A4. Shifter felt a little vague and worn out. It had over 150k miles. Felt much quicker and powerful than the CVT.

+1995 BMW E36 M3 - fantastic engine, surprised how smooth it rode, interior is not as modern as I would like. Very affordable (purchase) M3 but they are getting up there in years. Recommended by our old pal BoobPhysics101. Wouldn't feel appropriate for customers to ride with me.

+2003 BMW E46 330i w sport package & shiftronic - E46s are still damn fine looking cars, liked the engine note a lot, trans in manual mode did not shift as fast as I would like. This one had black and tan interior that was very pretty. Seems like the perfect balance between comfort, luxury, and sportiness in the range I want to spend. I think a 04-06 330CI\I ZHP with a manual transmission is at the top of my list right now.

+2006 BMW E90 330i with shiftronic - drove this right after the E46 330i and while the shifting in manual mode felt much faster the car felt really big and much more insulating. The interior was much more worn than in the 330i with 30k more miles. Good car but E46 was much more fun to drive IMO.

+2007 BMW 335i coupe w sport package and MT - aggressive looks, great power, not much turbo lag, love the sport seats. If i wanted to spend upwards of 30k any more a CPO 335i would be extremely tempting. Feels like it should and could be blasting down the autobahn at 140 all day.

+2008 C6 Corvette with MT - coworkers' car, poor guy finely bought one after wanting it for so long and he is afraid to drive it for fear of it being harmed. Bought it from a trucker with 27k miles. Such an amazing package. shifter is in the perfect spot, V8 rumble\torque\power, clutch feel is magical, I was shifting smooth as can be on the 3rd shift. Ride was much less harsh than I remember in older Corvettes. Interior is meh but everyone knows that. To get that much car for 26k is a sick deal. I feel like it would be a ticket and cougar magnet.

+2002 AP1 Honda S2000 - I think this one thrilled me the most but I don't want two cars and a S2000 as a daily just isn't comfortable enough for me. Really got my adrenalyne flowing and made my palms sweaty. Might have been it getting a little squirrely over an on ramp bump... Such a high stung machine that demands and loves to be flogged. 8800RPM redline!

+2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Rspec M\T - most disappointing car of everything I have driven. Interior felt and looked cheap, the shifter knob was twisting in my hand and there was a loud buzzing noise coming from below the shifter when downshifting. Car had 58 miles on it. Hyundai has come a long way but their suspension tuning still needs a lot of work. Car lacked in overall refinement.

+98 NA Mazda MX5 Miata - Such a great drivers car that gets a bad wrap for being a chick car. Huge bang for the buck. Slow enough to drive hard in DD use.

+2011 VW GTI - didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Driving the Audis and BMWs first doesn't do it any favors. Thought the stick was too long and felt a little vague finding each gear. Suspension felt good but didn't have the refinement of the other Germans. Really nice exhaust note but felt really light and a little finicky on the highway.

That is pretty much all I can think of right now. There were several more that I would want to drive but it doesn't make a lot of sense to get a new car or CPO right now because I am going to be travelling so much for work.

If any of you guys can suggest something for less than 20k that I might like more over a 330i ZHP please do. It has to have more than 2 seats, no convertables, RWD or AWD only, and be available with a manual.

I have to say after owning two Porsche 944s and driving the BMWs and Audis there is something special with the German makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom