• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk3

Banned
Wow Mazda knows how to party. Rocking the christmas tree tinsel in August.

I think the bulbous sloped rear window prevents it from taking the "cool wagon" reign from the magnum or CTS, but its a pretty good effort.

black_13

Banned
Any subie owners with experience around here?

My friend is looking into a 2002 and up WRX or STI depending on whatever is a better deal and well I've personally heard some real horror stories about the boxter engines being very unreliable. Reports of people having to change their engines at 50k's on them sometimes.

But I see a lot of them around and the sound of that engine brrrr noise is just drooling.

My friend is looking into a 2002 and up WRX or STI depending on whatever is a better deal and well I've personally heard some real horror stories about the boxter engines being very unreliable. Reports of people having to change their engines at 50k's on them sometimes.

But I see a lot of them around and the sound of that engine brrrr noise is just drooling.

Just like any other vehicle....the people who had bad experiences are the loudest. Subaru has been building these motors forever, they are as reliable as anything else. I have known one friend who had a new motor put in his Impreza. but I don't believe it means the 2.0 is a bad engine. it happens, buying a car comes with the risk it might break.

you get a lot of kids beating the shit out of WRXs for 45,000 miles then trading them in or selling them, as at the same time you get a lot of people like me who obsessively care for their Subaru (I have a Legacy 2.5GT aka the WRX for grownups) and it has been without flaw for better part of 70k i have had it and I will buy another Subaru after this one (this is my second, I drove a Baja as my first Subaru)

If he wants a good WRX or STi, he should expect to pay a lot of money for one with low miles and a clean carfax, adult owned. and stay away from 2008. bad year. Seriously, you will still pay 20K for any WRX in decent shape built in the last decade. they hold a ton of value. Especially the model i want....a 2007 MY WRX Wagon.

A WRX will be just as reliable as any sports car you can buy. and a lot more useful.

Scion FR-S vs. Mazda Miata MX-5 vs Hyundai Genesis Coupe track test

Jack Baruth, the guy with the awesome gold jacket, is imo one of the few automotive journalists worth paying attention to.

Wow I've never been so put off by a presenter's attitude, appearance and mannerisms. Even when he's saying how much he loves the Miata he sounds like he's upset about it.

Anyway, I'm super-duper surprised at the amount of play and bounce in the suspension on the Miata. Did they take the shocks off of it or what?

N-Bomb

Alanz pretty much summed it up.

The early 2.5L engines had head gasket problems, but by 2002, that was all ironed out. The 2.0 and 2.2 are almost bulletproof if you don't screw around with them dumbly.

A used STi (04 or 05) will cost you $20k ish in decent shape. My swap ran me about that much, not counting the transplant body, but I went JDM (2.0), the USDM STi is the newer 2.5L.

USDM = more low end torque, lower redline, longer gearing
JDM = more high end power, higher redline, shorter gearing (you can also get a twin-scroll turbo like mine which spools quicker)

Perhaps you'd just get a WRX and not an STi, and mod it up for more power - perfectly valid way to go.

Anyway yeah, I have no doubts as to their reliability, if handled well.

Hey car gaf need some advice for a first time car buyer.

I am thinking of buying a 2012 Scion Tc as it is cheap and sporty.

Any reason I shouldn't do it?

I am not a fan of the TC at all. It is just an overpriced boring nose-heavy FWD car. There are a lot of better options for around the same price. This is all my opinion though.

Anyway, I'm super-duper surprised at the amount of play and bounce in the suspension on the Miata. Did they take the shocks off of it or what?

Yup, stock Miata's without the dealer installed suspension package are very soft... that's why it's recommended to get the suspension package, decent springs and a set of sways as soon as you drive out of the lot. My complaint about the suspension package though is that the Bilstein shocks are stiffer than steel. Ride quality goes out of the window as soon as you hit some shitty roads to the point that it almost becomes unbearable to drive it in those conditions.

Please don't, the TC's look cheap and look sporty. If you've ever driven a Toyota Corolla from the last 6 years, that's exactly the way the TC handles. Good enough for you appliance driver, but sporty it is not.

Unfortunately sporty FWD's don't exist in this price range anymore, you'd have to start looking at $22k and higher to get something good. I suggest to also look in the used market, at that price point you're gonna be able to find some sweet deals on sweet cars.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Unfortunately sporty FWD's don't exist in this price range anymore, you'd have to start looking at $22k and higher to get something good. I suggest to also look in the used market, at that price point you're gonna be able to find some sweet deals on sweet cars.

Mazda3? Mini Cooper?

Hmm I actually haven't test driven the car so maybe it is sucky.

My family really wants me to buy a new car so used cars are out.

As for the FRS it starts at 24 and that's out of my range. Tc starts at 18 manual.

I might be able to go up to 22, probably not but it doesn't hurt to know my options. What are some suggestions for a new car in that price range?

The tc is an ok car (based on the Avensis, which is the European Corolla), just ass ugly.

Also, why don't your parents want you to buy used? You can get some great cars for the same amount of money.
Miata, Mazda 3, Volkswagen GTI, etc.

Oh and tc's have expensive insurance.

Mazda3? Mini Cooper?

Oh yeah I totally forgot about those two lol. Idk about the SkyActiv 3's but I can vouch for the 2.5L Mazda3. It's handling is pretty similar to the Miata but of course the limitations of FWD immediately appear once you take it out of its comfort zone. The Mini Cooper is alright too, but I honestly prefer the Cooper S. It's more throwable than the base model.

reilo

Oh yeah I totally forgot about those two lol. Idk about the SkyActiv 3's but I can vouch for the 2.5L Mazda3. It's handling is pretty similar to the Miata but of course the limitations of FWD immediately appear once you take it out of its comfort zone. The Mini Cooper is alright too, but I honestly prefer the Cooper S. It's more throwable than the base model.

They are about as good as he'll get for entry-level sporty people mover in his price range.

Oh, and if you can find one with some good incentives or last year's model that hasn't been sitting on the lot:

Hyundai Genesis Coupe

You might be able to find a used one in that $21-22k range.

Really? Why?

I'll look into Mazda 3 since people are suggesting it.

As to why my family wants me to buy new is a long story but basically since its new and reliable and because new cars usually have low apr compared to used. My sister said it would be the same if I got a used 15 to a new 18 because of the interest, in which case I should just get a new one. I haven't worked out the math yet so not sure of that's true.

Really? Why?

It's a sporty-looking coupe targeted at young people.

Basically dads buy it for teenagers then the teenagers go out and drive them into trees up as soon as they possibly can.

Edit: I am currently frustrated with my car. I bought the damn thing because it's one of the only sedans in the States that can tow over 2000lbs so I could tow a 944 spec racer but nobody makes a fucking class II hitch for it*. Now I'm being told by hitch installers that they won't even do custom installations of universal class II hitches for fear of liability issues. So now I have to go and be an odd-ball (and get into legal gray areas, probably) and buy a European hitch because they're built specifically for my car and rated to 3500 lbs.

A real pain in the ass.

* - I also bought it because I had one day to buy a car because my last died on a Thursday morning and I was leaving on a trip for two weeks that following Monday. Found a 6-spd turbo Volvo S40 on short notice so I counted myself lucky and got it then and there.

Really? Why?

I'll look into Mazda 3 since people are suggesting it.

As to why my family wants me to buy new is a long story but basically since its new and reliable and because new cars usually have low apr compared to used. My sister said it would be the same if I got a used 15 to a new 18 because of the interest, in which case I should just get a new one. I haven't worked out the math yet so not sure of that's true.

Almost all cars are pretty reliable nowadays if taken care of. My brother's '03 secondhand sentra lasted 300,000+ miles.

As for the credit, use an outside agency, credit union or your bank. Most dealerships are fine with that.

It's a sporty-looking coupe targeted at young people.

Basically dads buy it for teenagers then the teenagers go out and drive them into trees up as soon as they possibly can.
exactly.

MisterNoisy

I had an '07 tC (that was actually a pretty nice little car) before buying my current car and can confirm this. It wasn't onerous (clean driving record FTW), but I replaced it with a Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track (in fucking yellow), and my rates actually went down pretty significantly.

As far as the car for ghostofsparta, I'd look pretty hard at a Veloster/Veloster Turbo depending on budget - they're a nice blend of practical and fun and weird.

MisterNoisy

soo figured I would ask on gaf, I'm looking to get a decent truck, but on disability, I'm limited to about 1500 bucks. What brands should I turn to for reliability? Most of my options are between 1986-1995ish. Currently have my eyes on an 87 nissan hardbody for 1350, are these reliable little trucks? How about older rangers or dakotas? thanks for any input :)

Toyota, Nissan.

I had an '07 tC (that was actually a pretty nice little car) before buying my current car and can confirm this. It wasn't onerous (clean driving record FTW), but I replaced it with a Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track (in fucking yellow), and my rates actually went down pretty significantly.

As far as the car for ghostofsparta, I'd look pretty hard at a Veloster/Veloster Turbo depending on budget - they're a nice blend of practical and fun and weird.

I hate to admit it but I am a noob at car stuff so if I may ask, how much was your insurance? I know it will depend on company but I would still like to know as my parents said they would pay for my insurance for a year as long as I pay for the car myself. I don't want to burden them that much.

For what its worth I am 21 aka not a teenager. Would that lower the insurance a bit?

Ovid

Hey guys, I'm looking to get into a new vehicle within the next couple of weeks. I've been shopping around and noticed the G37. Tell me, what benefits does the coupe have over the sedan?

reilo

01-2013-honda-accord-sedan.jpg

2013-honda-accord-coupe-628.jpg

In case you didn't know, that's a new Honda Accord. I know, right!

They should've kept the coupe similar to the concept that was going around the auto shows this year.

6a00d83451b3c669e20162ff5a8a6a970d-800wi

This was one of the better cars at Honda's booth at my local auto show, everything else in there was riced out Civic SI's along with their ho hum lineup.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Pretty much.

It's like...no matter how good looking and fast the car is, you step into THAT and you're just disgusted.

Sort of like you know this one super hot chick, great ass, gorgeous face, massive tits...but the vagina is riddled with bumps all around it, it looks like a rotten taco, and the chances of you contracting an STD are quite high. It's tempting, but not worth the price of entry (lawl, get it).

That's my analogy.

MisterNoisy

I hate to admit it but I am a noob at car stuff so if I may ask, how much was your insurance? I know it will depend on company but I would still like to know as my parents said they would pay for my insurance for a year as long as I pay for the car myself. I don't want to burden them that much.

For what its worth I am 21 aka not a teenager. Would that lower the insurance a bit?

Mine dropped from just under $1800/year in the tC to under $1200 in the GC, with everything else being pretty much the same - I was just over 30 when I bought the tC with a clean record then, too. There are other factors, of course (location, etc.), but a 33% drop is not insignificant. You can call your carrier to get quotes for different cars before you buy, and I'd recommend doing it.

reilo

$1800/yr in insurance for a tC at age 30 with a clean record? lmao

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I live in New York, I'm 27, I have a 370Z and I pay $1200 a year.

1800 for a Toyota is criminal.

Pretty much.

It's like...no matter how good looking and fast the car is, you step into THAT and you're just disgusted.

Sort of like you know this one super hot chick, great ass, gorgeous face, massive tits...but the vagina is riddled with bumps all around it, it looks like a rotten taco, and the chances of you contracting an STD are quite high. It's tempting, but not worth the price of entry (lawl, get it).

That's my analogy.

I admit it, I laughed.

zchen

in the market for car now since mine was totalled about a week ago. Looking at Hyundai Elantra. just for commute to work. Any advice? want to keep it under 20k

in the market for car now since mine was totalled about a week ago. Looking at Hyundai Elantra. just for commute to work. Any advice? want to keep it under 20k
i was looking on nissan's website and they make a versa sedan that is like 10K brand new. its got AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom