• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
in the market for car now since mine was totalled about a week ago. Looking at Hyundai Elantra. just for commute to work. Any advice? want to keep it under 20k
I really like our Elantra--definitely the best-looking car in that segment, and the quality has been great so far (approaching 20k miles).

Go with the GLS package with alloy wheels, Bluetooth, and fog lamps. The 40 MPG highway claim is overstated, though. Gets closer to 35.

Mine dropped from just under $1800/year in the tC to under $1200 in the GC, with everything else being pretty much the same - I was just over 30 when I bought the tC with a clean record then, too. There are other factors, of course (location, etc.), but a 33% drop is not insignificant. You can call your carrier to get quotes for different cars before you buy, and I'd recommend doing it.

Thats rediculous . My mom said she pays 700 a year for her colbolt. But she is 50 something with a very good record.

N-Bomb

Opinions?

Does this look any good?

subaru_impreza_gc8_retrofit_projector_headlights_154.jpg

Compared to stock:

HL_SUBARU_IMPREZA_9300_CHR_01.jpg

Really considering a headlight retrofit to projectors at some point...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
That's it!? Is the coupe really rare? I see it all the time in NYC.

I got quoted for the G37 for $1200 as well...for 6 months :(

Go outside of huge cities like NYC, SoCal, Miami, etc...Gs are pretty rare. I'm in Orlando now, and even in the nicer parts outside of Orlando in places like Windermere and Celebration, G Coupes are oddly rare. Imagine the rest of the US.

MisterNoisy

Go outside of huge cities like NYC, SoCal, Miami, etc...Gs are pretty rare. I'm in Orlando now, and even in the nicer parts outside of Orlando in places like Windermere and Celebration, G Coupes are oddly rare. Imagine the rest of the US.

Yea - I see a fair number of G35 coupes with godawful wheels and big ugly mufflers, but not a lot of G37 coupes yet.

AlphaSnake

I see more G37 coupes in CT than most other Infinity models.

CT is a tri-state area in the North East with a lot of wealthy people, that's very close to NY and NJ. So that's not surprising.

Go to any military base, you'll see them everywhere.

TylerD

Wow that Accord is boring.

$870 a year for a turbo Volvo, age 28, "clean record".

Know what the best part about speed-trap towns in Alabama are? They don't report speeding tickets to anybody.

Do you live in Alabama? There is a possibility that I may be moving to Birmingham in the next couple of months.

Ovid

I just got back from the dealership and pulled the trigger on the G37 Sedan. I couldnt justify paying an extra $100 per month (plus more in insurance) for the coupe. Plus, the sedan has AWD. Unfortunately, there's a waiting list for my color. I should get mine by the end of the month. I'm so excited right now.

Wow that Accord is boring.

Do you live in Alabama? There is a possibility that I may be moving to Birmingham in the next couple of months.

Nope! I moved from Birmingham from Cleveland a few years ago.

I'm a liberal yankee so I never once fit in, I hope it treats you better.

Edit: And I had three or four tickets in different places between Birmingham and Atlanta on I-20. Those guys didn't report a single ticket so it wasn't too bad, but the minimum speeding ticket out there is something like $220.

MisterNoisy

I just got back from the dealership and pulled the trigger on the G37 Sedan. I couldnt justify paying an extra $100 per month (plus more in insurance) for the coupe. Plus, the sedan has AWD. Unfortunately, there's a waiting list for my color. I should get mine by the end of the month. I'm so excited right now.

Congratulations! Post pictures when you take delivery!

What color did you order?

aznpxdd

So my friend (a fellow Gaffer as well) changed his 1M front bumper on the F30 to a M6 front bumper.

422234_431765750200432_1697300464_n.jpg

Awesome body work by LTBMW.

They created the F30 M3 before its even out :)

N-Bomb

So my friend (a fellow Gaffer as well) changed his 1M front bumper on the F30 to a M6 front bumper.

As much as I don't particularly like BMW styling lately, that's pretty damn nice. (at least from that angle)

Gotta say that I'm glad stacked headlights seem to be going away in favour of horizontal designs again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

...and yet it still has those halogen lights.

They already increased the base price of a 3 series, why not make HIDs + halos standard? I simply can't understand this. Is it really that costly to them? I mean, the halos have become a BMW staple and eliminating them from their latest models seems like a poor decision.

It really hurts the front end appearance.

I nearly bought a new 3 series last week but, as I wanted a manual transmission, the only options available now were missing the lighting package (along with a couple of extra features that I wanted). Will have to resort to ordering if I want the right car. I kept wondering if I should just forget about it, but no, the lighting makes a big difference both in terms of looks and function. I've been driving with HIDs for years and I always hate going back to regular halogen lights in other cars. Just awful.

The body work there is really damn nice, but if he's putting that much work into its form, I'm surprised that the standard halogens are present. Really works against the look he's going for.

Also, through car shopping, I have become increasingly irritated with the lack of options for manual transmission buyers. :(

bcl0328

i've been trying to get a hold of that guy so i can buy a front bumper for mine. no response.

bcl0328

...and yet it still has those halogen lights.

They already increased the base price of a 3 series, why not make HIDs + halos standard? I simply can't understand this. Is it really that costly to them? I mean, the halos have become a BMW staple and eliminating them from their latest models seems like a poor decision.

It really hurts the front end appearance.

I nearly bought a new 3 series last week but, as I wanted a manual transmission, the only options available now were missing the lighting package (along with a couple of extra features that I wanted). Will have to resort to ordering if I want the right car. I kept wondering if I should just forget about it, but no, the lighting makes a big difference both in terms of looks and function. I've been driving with HIDs for years and I always hate going back to regular halogen lights in other cars. Just awful.

The body work there is really damn nice, but if he's putting that much work into its form, I'm surprised that the standard halogens are present. Really works against the look he's going for.

Also, through car shopping, I have become increasingly irritated with the lack of options for manual transmission buyers. :(

i think the halogens look good on white. the black lens in the xenons go better with darker colors, imo.

T.O.P

Banned
Any EVO X owner in this thread? i'm thinking about upgrading the car a bit, but i donnow where i should start looking, not a single Tuning shop in my area, mhe

dark10x

i think the halogens look good on white. the black lens in the xenons go better with darker colors, imo.
Oh, it definitely still looks great, but I still prefer the xenons on any color. That's not even considering the functional differences which are pretty significant.

aznpxdd

Finally installed my BMW Performance matte black grilles. It wasn't as hard to install as I thought. Just had to partially remove to front bumper to change the grilles. Also vinyl'd by front lip with CF vinyl.

ibwiXu7NtEBHSO.jpg

ibzOqnnPZuEXm4.jpg

I think I'm looking at one of the most modded X1 on the internet. :D

grendelrt

Any EVO X owner in this thread? i'm thinking about upgrading the car a bit, but i donnow where i should start looking, not a single Tuning shop in my area, mhe

I had an EVO X, ordered everything online and installed myself. Only thing I took to the shop was the tune. Drove up to PA and had CBRD do it. That car in general is pretty easy to work on.

N-Bomb

I've been driving with HIDs for years and I always hate going back to regular halogen lights in other cars. Just awful.

I find the better argument is projectors vs. reflectors. My Celica had halogen projectors, and those were all kinds of awesome once I put some GE Nighthawks in.

Every company is cost-conscious these days, but I don't see why they can't just separate out options if you want to spend the money.

i put it to you that there is no 4x4/suv greater than the toyota land cruiser 4.2.

thoughts?

I'd posit that there is no such thing as a great SUV.

If you really want a good off-roadish vehicle, you'll get a Jeep (wrangler/renegade/TJ/whatever they're calling it now), a Lada Niva, an older Land Rover, or an UAZ-469.

dark10x

I find the better argument is projectors vs. reflectors. My Celica had halogen projectors, and those were all kinds of awesome once I put some GE Nighthawks in.

Every company is cost-conscious these days, but I don't see why they can't just separate out options if you want to spend the money.
Yeah, I suppose that's more accurate. The appearance of projectors is much more appealing on most cars than reflectors to me. At least you could get the looks with projector lenses even if they toss in halogen bulbs.

Mercedes Benz actually took a step back here recently. The C-Class has included projectors for a while now even in models which only used halogen bulbs...but they've actually returned to reflectors for the lower end C-class models and it looks awful. I simply don't understand why so many companies bother creating multiple head lamp designs for cover both reflective and projector lenses. Why not go with projectors across the board and change the bulbs? Maybe remove the LED highlights or something to cut costs (ie - the BMW halos).

It's just one of those small details that continues to annoy me.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
That camo looks surprisingly awesome. A lot better than any truck in some woodland camo scheme.

You can see that each body panel matches up, too. Lots of work went into that.

His car is also quite fucking fast.

N-Bomb

http://youtu.be/mi0yXeuqBjU

"This guy should host the American Top Gear, he is like an American Jeremy Clarkson. Just like Jeremy hates everything American, he could hate everything British. Watching him review this car was like watching Jeremy review a Corvette."

So true. This is the best review I've seen in a while.

Ash_69

My new car :) (thanks for your help Alpha).

350z.jpg

GOD DAMN it's fast compared to the A4. I had my hard man MMA trained best friend screaming like a girl. Bad news is, the fun won't last, my insurance deal comes with a tracker which monitors driving...

AlphaSnake

ASH!! That's awesome! Glad I could've been a part of the process for you man. I'm also very happy you got a VQ35HR. Enjoy and best of luck!

TylerD

Bad news is, the fun won't last, my insurance deal comes with a tracker which monitors driving...

Are you using Progressive Snapshot?

It doesn't monitor acceleration or speed. Just distance traveled, the time of day and deceleration in hard brakes is what it monitors. A hard brake is decelerating more than 7mph over a second and they can stack on each other.

You do a "trial" run for a month or so then they tell you how much you will save if you continue to drive like you are.

I have had mine since April and am at the max 30% discount.

ruxtpin

Banned
woo... Went to go test drive a MT 370Z today. Loved it. Was going to go give an FR-S a shot as well, but the dealership didn't have any. The only thing that bothered me about the 370 tho, was that it was a touring edition (which I'm not planning on paying extra for). I was just looking to try out one of the models with a MT to see how it felt.

Are you using Progressive Snapshot?

It doesn't monitor acceleration or speed. Just distance traveled, the time of day and deceleration in hard brakes is what it monitors. A hard brake is decelerating more than 7mph over a second and they can stack on each other.

You do a "trial" run for a month or so then they tell you how much you will save if you continue to drive like you are.

I have had mine since April and am at the max 30% discount.

I'd love to know how it monitors braking without monitoring acceleration, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom