• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
3 BMW 128i (It's not a Porsche and I'd have to order one to get a stick shift)

Apart from it being one of my favorite little cars, it's now either a very good or a very bad time to order one.
Very bad: It's due do be upgraded to the F-Models (you are looking at a coupé, right?)
Very good: Since it's due for an upgrade, you might get a huge discount.

I think, in the end, go Cayman.

FStop7

Banned
Car magazines worth reading:

EVO - easily the best.
CAR - Also very good but EVO tends to do more timed track tests
European Car - Recently merged with EuroTuner. Lots of great project cars.
Grassroots Motorsports - Amazing magazine if you are into open track racing or really have any level of interest in cars that handle

Watevaman

I remember reading an EVO last year that my cousin had with a feature on old supercars (like the F40) and it was such a great magazine. Only thing is it's ~$140 for a yearly sub.

matmanx1

Apart from it being one of my favorite little cars, it's now either a very good or a very bad time to order one.
Very bad: It's due do be upgraded to the F-Models (you are looking at a coupé, right?)
Very good: Since it's due for an upgrade, you might get a huge discount.

I think, in the end, go Cayman.

Tomorrow is my test drive day and the BMW dealer will be my first stop. I figure I should drive the contender first and then compare it to the Porsche's later in the day. I might decide the refinement and interior comfort of the 128i is preferable to the Boxster/Cayman for something that is probably going to see daily use. I want performance but I want it to be relatively refined and well behaved.

yamo

I've owned my '11 3.8 Track for about 16 months now, and here's my take.

There are valid complaints:

The interior isn't amazing - hard (and fairly ugly) plastics on the dash and other surfaces where you don't touch it a lot and decent soft-touch stuff on the contact points. Despite that, the '11 interior got decent upgrades from the '10 and earlier models - they replaced the godawful silver painted stuff with gunmetal colored faux-brushed metal that looks and wears pretty well and made a very nice nav system standard, which also includes automatic climate and a fairly decent audio package. All that said, the seats are fucking godly - just about perfect for a car with sporting intent and drive all day comfortable, and the leather actually feels like it came from cows. One other note: old-school gooseneck hinges for the trunk are a complete pain in the ass.

The suspension is very harsh for something that's supposed to be a budget Grand Touring car, but will definitely facilitate some good times on back roads if you defeat the traction control - the first time the TCS kicked in on mine, it cut in so aggressively that it literally felt like something had broken. You can add the $30 front camber bolts if you want to sharpen turn in - my dealer popped them in and adjusted them for free since I was there for an oil change/routine service. If you're concerned about ride harshness, you may want to consider the 'Grand Touring' trim level, but I think that may be A/T only and you lose the Brembos.

The shifter is notchy as hell, but works well enough. You sure as hell won't mistake it for a Miata lever. There have been fairly numerous complaints on GC-specific forums of a grinding in the higher gears, but I haven't experienced it yet. The clutch isn't heavy, but has something of an on/off quality to it.

That said, I really dig this car - it's absolutely willing to play with you if you're in the mood, and the engine makes all the right sounds and pulls pretty damned hard once you get it to about 3000-3500 RPM. The brakes are outstanding once you swap to good aftermarket pads. It's also a pretty decent head turner, especially in yellow. :) Mileage is okay at about 20-22 in-town and 28-29 on the highway during an eight-hour interstate slog to NC.

I drove this against a '11 V6 Mustang Premium, heavily optioned (Track package, nav, etc) to get to feature parity with the GC and the '11 Camaro similarly equipped, and for me, the GC was the easy pick - it's lower and feels more sporty than either of the V6 ponycars, plus there aren't a bajillion of them cruising around. I also considered a Mustang GT stripped to get to the same price point, but nobody actually had one of those at the time - I think that sort of package only exists in magazine comparisons.

All told, the Gen Coupe feels like something between the raw/unrefined nature of a ponycar and something like a 370Z or G37, and may suffer in comparisons by trying to straddle all those segments - people looking for a GT or sports car won't like the unrefined parts of it, while the ponycar types will ask where the V8 is. It works very well for me and my needs/desires.

Thanks for the reply!

I agree that the interior doesn't look top notch from the pictures I looked at, but still not bad according to my taste. But I suppose I have to really get some hands on action to really get a feel for the quality. The chairs however looks amazing and it's nice to hear that the quality feels good as well.

As far as I know only the Grand Touring trim level is available where I live (Sweden) so I suppose I don't have to worry about ride harshness. Sucks about the Brembos but i'm kinda looking forward to get a car with A/T as i've only owned cars with manual stick before. Suppose this is a must try myself thing to actually decide if I like it or not though.

Never driven any of the cars you compare it to, or any other sports car really. My current Saab 9-3 is the sportiest car I ever owned! :D

Price is still pretty high for a car like this over here, but the price drop has been pretty huge on the 2011s. Think retail price was like $54.000 for a new 2011 and now a year later they dropped to about $35.000-40.000. I suppose it's due to the new model coming next year. But still... decisions decisions.

TylerD

I have had a couple of promising emails back and forth with the owner of a newly listed 06 330ci ZHP in Mystic Blue with Gray leather\Black Cube with 62,000 miles a 6spd manual and what seems to be a very complete and thorough service history.

Requested many more pics and if I get those will run an autocheck or carfax and if everything checks out will request the owner take the car for a PPI.

The car is in Woodbridge, VA outside of D.C.

I might be flying to Virginia this weekend if all goes well!

M2dJi.jpg

Halvie

Banned
Congrats on your BRZ!

I am still waiting for a chance to drive one. Looked at a BRZ and a FRS in the dealer showrooms. Sitting in the BRZ got me excited because it just felt right. The only dealer that has got BRZs so far in my area has them all optioned as limited with the rear diffuser and homelink rear view mirror. They have sold all of them for over 35k.

So, here is the list of cars I have test driven over the past several months and some brief notes and my impressions. I revised my planned maximum spending from around 30k to 20k recently due to the possibility of having a very travel heavy job for the next 5 or more years.
--------------------------------------

+2008 Acura TL Type S - felt like a much nicer Accord, tons of center stack buttons and very busy steering wheel controls. Pretty quick but not looking for FWD and 280 with wrong wheel drive is too much. Would have to get a manual for the LSD. The best looking TL gen by far and still very handsome. Still want to drive a manual type-S if I can find one. Heard very good things about it.

+2008 B7 Audi A4 2.0T FWD with a CVT - First Audi I ever drove, very impressed with the build quality (doors, trunk, hood, clicky console buttons) not so much the CVT and power seemed a little lacking. Selecting "gears" with the paddles on a CVT felt wrong.

+2005 B7 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro and a MT - enjoyed this much more than the FWD, CVT A4. Shifter felt a little vague and worn out. It had over 150k miles. Felt much quicker and powerful than the CVT.

+1995 BMW E36 M3 - fantastic engine, surprised how smooth it rode, interior is not as modern as I would like. Very affordable (purchase) M3 but they are getting up there in years. Recommended by our old pal BoobPhysics101. Wouldn't feel appropriate for customers to ride with me.

+2003 BMW E46 330i w sport package & shiftronic - E46s are still damn fine looking cars, liked the engine note a lot, trans in manual mode did not shift as fast as I would like. This one had black and tan interior that was very pretty. Seems like the perfect balance between comfort, luxury, and sportiness in the range I want to spend. I think a 04-06 330CI\I ZHP with a manual transmission is at the top of my list right now.

+2006 BMW E90 330i with shiftronic - drove this right after the E46 330i and while the shifting in manual mode felt much faster the car felt really big and much more insulating. The interior was much more worn than in the 330i with 30k more miles. Good car but E46 was much more fun to drive IMO.

+2007 BMW 335i coupe w sport package and MT - aggressive looks, great power, not much turbo lag, love the sport seats. If i wanted to spend upwards of 30k any more a CPO 335i would be extremely tempting. Feels like it should and could be blasting down the autobahn at 140 all day.

+2008 C6 Corvette with MT - coworkers' car, poor guy finely bought one after wanting it for so long and he is afraid to drive it for fear of it being harmed. Bought it from a trucker with 27k miles. Such an amazing package. shifter is in the perfect spot, V8 rumble\torque\power, clutch feel is magical, I was shifting smooth as can be on the 3rd shift. Ride was much less harsh than I remember in older Corvettes. Interior is meh but everyone knows that. To get that much car for 26k is a sick deal. I feel like it would be a ticket and cougar magnet.

+2002 AP1 Honda S2000 - I think this one thrilled me the most but I don't want two cars and a S2000 as a daily just isn't comfortable enough for me. Really got my adrenalyne flowing and made my palms sweaty. Might have been it getting a little squirrely over an on ramp bump... Such a high stung machine that demands and loves to be flogged. 8800RPM redline!

+2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Rspec M\T - most disappointing car of everything I have driven. Interior felt and looked cheap, the shifter knob was twisting in my hand and there was a loud buzzing noise coming from below the shifter when downshifting. Car had 58 miles on it. Hyundai has come a long way but their suspension tuning still needs a lot of work. Car lacked in overall refinement.

+98 NA Mazda MX5 Miata - Such a great drivers car that gets a bad wrap for being a chick car. Huge bang for the buck. Slow enough to drive hard in DD use.

+2011 VW GTI - didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Driving the Audis and BMWs first doesn't do it any favors. Thought the stick was too long and felt a little vague finding each gear. Suspension felt good but didn't have the refinement of the other Germans. Really nice exhaust note but felt really light and a little finicky on the highway.

That is pretty much all I can think of right now. There were several more that I would want to drive but it doesn't make a lot of sense to get a new car or CPO right now because I am going to be travelling so much for work.

If any of you guys can suggest something for less than 20k that I might like more over a 330i ZHP please do. It has to have more than 2 seats, no convertables, RWD or AWD only, and be available with a manual.

I have to say after owning two Porsche 944s and driving the BMWs and Audis there is something special with the German makes.

335 or s2000 w/ beater to daily*get over the 2 car thing :)*.

Tomorrow is my test drive day and the BMW dealer will be my first stop. I figure I should drive the contender first and then compare it to the Porsche's later in the day. I might decide the refinement and interior comfort of the 128i is preferable to the Boxster/Cayman for something that is probably going to see daily use. I want performance but I want it to be relatively refined and well behaved.

I now realize my mistake, you only have the 1 series coupé in the US.

This is what I think when you say 128i:

800px-11-09-04-iaa-by-RalfR-257.jpg

Circle T

I remember reading an EVO last year that my cousin had with a feature on old supercars (like the F40) and it was such a great magazine. Only thing is it's ~$140 for a yearly sub.

If you have one, you should check it out on iPad. EVO on iPad is exactly what tablets are great for. Pictures, videos, interactive elements, etc. It's really great. Plus, you can get a 6-month sub for $25, or 12-month for $42 ($US). EVO has been one of my favorite car mags for a long time, and the iPad is a great first step into the modern era of automotive journalism.

EVO for iPad

matmanx1

I now realize my mistake, you only have the 1 series coupé in the US.

This is what I think when you say 128i:

800px-11-09-04-iaa-by-RalfR-257.jpg

Ahh ok. Yeah the coupe looks far better I think but is less convenient without the hatch.

I drove a 2011 128i convertible today at the dealership just to get a feel for the car and came away very impressed. It's a great combination of comfort, style, road feel and downright sizzle. The inline 6 is docile at low RPM's but revs nicely and with a really, really satisfying noise. If I was going to pick just one car to live with for the next decade I think it would be the 128i.

That being said, it's still not a Porsche and my experience at the Porsche dealership today was fabulous. I'm north of Atlanta so my local dealership is Hennessy Porsche and they run the most impressive dealership that I've ever seen. They are 5th in volume behind only 2 Beverly Hills and 2 South Florida dealerships and 1st in terms of overall customer service. The salesman I dealt with was easy going, well spoken, not in the least pushy and let me drive 2 cars and poke my head in several more and was willing just to stand around and talk cars with me.

I drove an 04 Boxster S that had just been traded in and an 09 Boxster base. They did not have a Cayman in my price range so I did not drive one of those. Both Boxsters were absolutely killer automobiles and crazy fun and while the 09 was a little bit smoother shifting and turning than the 04 the difference in overall feel was smaller than I would have thought. Noise level with the top up was no worse than my existing econo box Mitsubishi and while the ride was "busy" it wasn't rough on either car.

The 04 was one of the Anniversary editions of which only 1,953 were made and it was a gorgeous car with full cocoa leather and had a noticeable torque advantage over the 09 thanks to the 3.2 liter engine vs the 2.9 in the 09 car. And, it only has 27k miles on it. So of course that leaves me seriously tempted. I have some thinking to do. =)

TylerD

I will most likely not be interested in that ZHP in Virginia unless she finally sends me some good pictures which she is supposed to this weekend and take it for a PPI at a shop in Springfield. Might try to lowball her if the inspection is good other than the things I know are visually wrong with it (scratch on drivers door, paint bubbling on poorly resprayed hood).

She sent me some of the most blurry and poorly lit pictures I have ever seen of a car.

Here is one of the better ones and you still can't tell the condition of the car.

2RiIxl.jpg

I talked to her yesterday and she told me how she thought it was going to be sold then the guys financing fell through but she bought a new Elantra before... And she has a job coming up in PA and needs to get this sold so she can afford to move.

Feel bad for her so I am going to try to help her get it sold by at least making sure she gets some decent pictures and gets a thorough PPI to show and reference for prospective buyers.

Gunsmithx

Just wondering, does anyone have any experience with the MINI countryman? which is close to getting a new car and she's leaning toward this but I don't really know too much about it. Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about it.

Just wondering, does anyone have any experience with the MINI countryman? which is close to getting a new car and she's leaning toward this but I don't really know too much about it. Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about it.

I actually drove it for a few days.

It's basically a bit smaller, FWD X1.

Slightly off topic, but I saw this in my neighborhood the other day. The some of the new cop cars here are super stealthy, black with black police logos. It looks just like any other black car. Sneaky bastards!

stealthcopcar.jpg

edit not my photo, but I saw it in Kirkland, WA

ascii42

Slightly off topic, but I saw this in my neighborhood the other day. The some of the new cop cars here are super stealthy, black with black police logos. It looks just like any other black car. Sneaky bastards!

stealthcopcar.jpg

Interesting wheels. It's not often I see a Charger/300 without low-profile tires.

stealthcopcar.jpg

Know what I really hate? Police who drive intimidating looking vehicles.

Mr. Policeman, please don't murder out your vehicle. You should be instantly recognizable and comforting to have around, not a stealth-black murder machine roving my neighborhood.

Mr. Policeman, please don't murder out your vehicle. You should be instantly recognizable and comforting to have around, not a stealth-black murder machine roving my neighborhood.

move to france

ParisPoliceLarge.jpg

matmanx1

That image above is sort of begging for a good caption or two, don't you think?

Anyway. After looking at some hard numbers I've decided to hold off on any kind of purchase until we've got my wife's car paid off. Springtime is my new target and if I hold off until then I can keep my daily driver, have my wife's car paid for and buy the fun car that I really want with no guilt or anxiety which will just make the purchase that much better.

I will definitely look really hard at the Boxster again. That open air, mid engine combo is fantastic and that Porsche flat six sounds even sweeter with the top down.

That image above is sort of begging for a good caption or two, don't you think?

Anyway. After looking at some hard numbers I've decided to hold off on any kind of purchase until we've got my wife's car paid off. Springtime is my new target and if I hold off until then I can keep my daily driver, have my wife's car paid for and buy the fun car that I really want with no guilt or anxiety which will just make the purchase that much better.

I will definitely look really hard at the Boxster again. That open air, mid engine combo is fantastic and that Porsche flat six sounds even sweeter with the top down.

Keep in mind that prices on fun cars see a jump in the spring.

Watevaman

Hey guys, I got a problem with my '90 Subaru Legacy. Went out, put the key in, and instead of unlocking the car the key just spun. So I'm assuming the locking mechanism is broken at the key part, seeing as locking/unlocking from the inside still works. How would I go about getting a replacement, would it need to be something tailored to my key (aka dealer) or can I order something else and would just have a different key for that door?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Ford Crown Vics are the most intimidating vehicles on the road. All the damn taxi's here freak me out sometimes. That and Chevy Tahoes.

I think Chicago is going with Ford Interceptors for their new cars.

N-Bomb

Hey guys, I got a problem with my '90 Subaru Legacy. Went out, put the key in, and instead of unlocking the car the key just spun. So I'm assuming the locking mechanism is broken at the key part, seeing as locking/unlocking from the inside still works. How would I go about getting a replacement, would it need to be something tailored to my key (aka dealer) or can I order something else and would just have a different key for that door?

You'll want to get it keyed to your... key. Should be able to install it yourself though. Doors are one of the easier things to work on.

Very cool. I find those types of interiors to be completely fascinating.

Such a weird time for interior design.

Weird, but lots of experimentation and variation in new ideas!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
sigh

Co-worker hit my car in the parking lot as we were both backing out. I was leaving first, she had no idea I was there -- I even tried honking/getting back into first and moving back into my spot to no avail.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
sigh

Co-worker hit my car in the parking lot as we were both backing out. I was leaving first, she had no idea I was there -- I even tried honking/getting back into first and moving back into my spot to no avail.

Ughh that sucks. She's obviously at fault. Hopefully the damage wasn't too bad. Any bent metal? Or did she just hit the bumper?

Can anyone recommended how tight I should adjust my rear drums? I know there's supposed to be slight drag. Would one wheel rotation be enough once adjusted or is that too much?

ascii42

Ughh that sucks. She's obviously at fault. Hopefully the damage wasn't too bad. Any bent metal? Or did she just hit the bumper?

Can anyone recommended how tight I should adjust my rear drums? I know there's supposed to be slight drag. Would one wheel rotation be enough once adjusted or is that too much?

If I remember correctly, parking lot collisions are usually considered 50:50 fault, which sucks.

reilo

I'll find out tomorrow when I have a shop looked at it. The bumper is not aligned to the quarter panel anymore, and there is a noticeable "bump" between the bumper and the trunk.

If I remember correctly, parking lot collisions are usually considered 50:50 fault, which sucks.

The first thing she said "I didn't see you" and I was stopped and trying to drive forward back into my spot as I was blaring the horn.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
That sucks. Sounds like she didn't bother checking anything. She pulled an old granny move. "Outta my way, I'm motorist!"

My ex-gf actually managed to jack her car up off the ground onto my house because she wasn't looking. She reversed it onto a piece of my foundation. The car was a good 6 inches of the ground with one wheel in the air. Since then she's always checking her mirrors lol.

I had a person hit me on the side of the road. I just entered my car, closed the door and was going to leave but I saw the guy behind me leaving. He misjudged the size of his jacked up Tundra and his tire ran over the side of my tail light and bumper tearing it off. His insurance fixed everything but the seams never match up pre accident. Sucks.

reilo

Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car drag race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaS7n6qKQe4

Wow at the
Carrera S only .4s behind the GT500 Mustang and .1s faster than the ZL1 and C63AMG. The Carrera S had a bigger HP/TQ disadvantage versus the GT500 and ZL1 than the BRZ has total horsepower... and it still won. :eek:

Ovid

sigh

That's why backup cameras are absolutely necessary. Good thing it's going to be required in all vehicles starting with the 2014 model year.

01-audi-quattro-concept-drive.jpg

Audi Quattro making a comeback? Looks like the plans for an R5 have been scrapped.

The Audi Quattro Concept revealed at the 2010 Paris Motor Show has, quietly, been trying to get enough traction to make a real run at production. The last we heard about it was April 2011, when the prototype engineers had a running model based on the S5 that was about 500 pounds lighter than an R8. In a poll we ran with that news, nearly 61 percent of you said you'd be interested in buying a production version of the Quattro if it were cheaper than the R8. If a report in German magazine Auto Bild is to be believed, you 61-percenters could be in luck.

Their report presents a coupe that is all kinds of tweener, having a stance "halfway between the Q5 and A5," weight between the A1 and A3, power between the S5 and RS5, and a price between the TT RS and R8. Power's been pegged at 375 horsepower from a 2.5-liter inline five-cylinder (the concept we drove in 2010 put out 408 hp from the same engine), moving a four-seater coupe weighing in at around 3,000 pounds(!). As for price, it's supposedly being plotted to fill the gap between the TT RS and R8. We have no idea what to do with that stance prediction, though, since that would take the production car in the opposite direction of the ground-hugging svelteness of the concept, but even if just three out of four prognostications come true, this will be a seriously lusty piece of metal. With those specs, we'd also think the pricing would lean more toward the R8 end of the scale.

Annual sales predictions have come down to 10,000 per year from the 35,000 initially mentioned. As for when we might see any of them, Auto Bild says the car's internal name of Q35 suggests it would be Quattro's 35th anniversary gift to the world, meaning some time around 2015.

In the US, and Audi TT RS is about $60,000 and an R8 starts at $100,000~

That would slot the Quattro at around $80,000~.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/24/audi-quattro-model-to-return-in-time-for-35th-anniversary/

ascii42

Halvie

Banned
As someone who isn't super enthusiastic about the looks of many recent Audis you guys are nuts

lead2-audi-quattro-concept-drive.jpg

amazing *still love the coupe quattro so biased...*

Halvie

Banned
Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car drag race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaS7n6qKQe4

Wow at the
Carrera S only .4s behind the GT500 Mustang and .1s faster than the ZL1 and C63AMG. The Carrera S had a bigger HP/TQ disadvantage versus the GT500 and ZL1 than the BRZ has total horsepower... and it still won. :eek:

Wasn't a good run. 11.6 with a 125 trap...really...also considering the better gearing it has for 1/4 runs compared to last model.

BT GTIs run better times with similar traps. We have dog shit gearing for 1/4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom