• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

As someone who isn't super enthusiastic about the looks of many recent Audis you guys are nuts

lead2-audi-quattro-concept-drive.jpg

amazing *still love the coupe quattro so biased...*

That's a really nice side profile.

Pein

Banned
my sister managed to fuck the right side up of my G. now its gonna cost me a grand to fix.

I was saving to get a hks exhaust too with the money I was saving.

TylerD

My offer was accepted! 16.5k, detailed, and a full tank of gas.

After I received the insulting pictures I told them that I wasn't interested. The owner replied back saying they would do better. At noon the next day me email blew up, 60 HD shots of everything I wanted to see and scans of the maintenance records. But I was still missing the first 50k miles of records.

I called a local BMW dealer and was able to get general information about what was performed each time it went into the shop while under warranty. The 2nd owner also took it into a BMW dealer out of warranty so I will have the full records.

The PPI at the shop I chose went very well. Said the car other than the bubbling on the hood and scratch on the door was in excellent shape. No leaks anywhere, no odd noises, strong engine, smooth 6MT transmission, clutch feels great. No signs of any other accidents other than what was already known with the hood being replaced. Everything electrical worked as it should. He checked for all the common e46 issues and concluded that it was a buy.

2006 330CI ZHP performance package, 62200 miles. Mystic blue with grey leather and black cube trim.

JmgKrl.jpg

JXfBFl.jpg

VNB6gl.jpg

Flying out to Virginia next weekend and driving it back to Oklahoma while taking a couple days off work.

TylerD

Congratulations. Lovely car, enjoy the ride.

Nice bmw, love the colour.

Thanks guys. I certainly drove enough to figure out what I wanted and with my want to spend under 20k I don't know if there is a better balance of everything I was looking for at the price I got it. I am going to sell my Accord privately (Carmax appraised it at 4k lol) and put that money back as an extended warranty and just finance the whole amount through my credit union.

Alebrije

Gold Member
Need advice abut the DODGE JOURNEY SXT 2012 , so if someone has one will be good to hear comments.

Pros :

Space
Good quality interiors
Great Price ( for the gadgets it has )
Easy to get spare parts ( since its made in Mexico where I live)
SecuriTy (5 stars)

Cons :

Fuel consume
Brakes+ rotors ( it seems at 15000-20000 miles they need to be changed )
SXT here in Mexico does not have GPS
Engine 2.4 automatic 4 vel. transmition ( it seems the car weight is so much for a 2.4 when climbing over a road or trying to pass other car , this is the reason of the high fuel consume the car has). Do not have money to upgrade to a RT or SXT PREMIUM.

Final comment : THE CAR is made in Mexico and Dodge sell the SXT at $27,000 U.S. when in th U.S. you can get the same one but with V6 PENTASTAR for $25,500.00 U.S.

FUCK...!!!!

0_0_20101029103222987.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
Final comment : THE CAR is made in Mexico and Dodge sell the SXT at $27,000 U.S. when in th U.S. you can get the same one but with V6 PENTASTAR for $25,500.00 U.S.

I don't want to hurt your national pride, but I would not buy any car from any manufacturer made in Mexico. They relocate there to make cheaper cars and quality always suffers. Just look at all these Nissan's, VW's, Ford's made in Mexico compared to the same cars that were made somewhere else.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's official, BRZs and FR-S are the new NYC ricer cars that go around punching way above their weight. Twice yesterday, first in my 335i coupe a dark blue BRZ pulls up to me and starts weaving through traffic like a moron - flashes his hazards Tokyo Highway Battle style, son.

Then later at night, I'm in my 370Z a red FR-S catches up to get up my ass on a highway...I slow down from 60 to 50 so he would get the hint and fuck off. Then to 40. He finally gets it, drives to the side of me, waits and then takes off. All day at my shop yesterday friends were talking about how ricers are picking the cars up, exchanging stories of the stupidity they're witnessing...and when I left I racked up two stories of my own within 4 hours of each other.

I noticed the exact same behavior in the Orlando area, where I saw a ton of them. I saw a grey FR-S try to pick a fight with an Evo X - who caved in and quite literally left the FR-S in a cloud of black smoke that he shitted out from his open dumps on University Blvd. It was hilarious. I was in a Ford Fusion rental, so I couldn't partake on the fun. Regardless, so far a lot of these kids buying these cars are buying them with poor intentions.

ascii42

It's official, BRZs and FR-S are the new NYC ricer cars that go around punching way above their weight. Twice yesterday, first in my 335i coupe a dark blue BRZ pulls up to me and starts weaving through traffic like a moron - flashes his hazards Tokyo Highway Battle style, son.

Then later at night, I'm in my 370Z a red FR-S catches up to get up my ass on a highway...I slow down from 60 to 50 so he would get the hint and fuck off. Then to 40. He finally gets it, drives to the side of me, waits and then takes off. All day at my shop yesterday friends were talking about how ricers are picking the cars up, exchanging stories of the stupidity they're witnessing...and when I left I racked up two stories of my own within 4 hours of each other.

I noticed the exact same behavior in the Orlando area, where I saw a ton of them. I saw a grey FR-S try to pick a fight with an Evo X - who caved in and quite literally left the FR-S in a cloud of black smoke that he shitted out from his open dumps on University Blvd. It was hilarious. I was in a Ford Fusion rental, so I couldn't partake on the fun. Regardless, so far a lot of these kids buying these cars are buying them with poor intentions.

Wait until they figure out to but a turbo/supercharger on those things.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hypothetical Auto-GAF time!

Let's say you have $110k or so in the bank due to certain things in your life (a divorce, new job, etc. etc.). Let's say that you have everything in your life satisfied, financially, and you want to treat yourself to a new car.

What would you buy?

Here's what I'm thinking, in no particular order:

Nissan GT-R Black Edition
Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG (or C63)
BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

Let's say you have $110k or so in the bank due to certain things in your life (a divorce, new job, etc. etc.). Let's say that you have everything in your life satisfied, financially, and you want to treat yourself to a new car.

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

a couple:
one Yaris Hybrid, one GT 86, Lotus Super Seven or a Morgan Threewheeler and the rest of the cash for fuel.

kharma45

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

Probably the new A6 with the 313bhp bi-turbo diesel.

Would be a perfect everyday car. That or a 535d.

ascii42

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

CTS-V Wagon would be my first choice. BMW 640d Gran Coupe if I'm feeling like getting a German car. I would also consider putting enough money into the Olds to make it like it was when it rolled off the line 36 years ago.

matmanx1

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

The GT-R would be a serious consideration for me as would one of the new 991 Porsche 911's. Or for that amount you could buy a seriously loaded Boxster or Cayman and still have enough for a nice 1 or 3 series BMW on the days that you felt like being a little more sedate.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

My goal in life has been to own a R34 Skyline but a GT-R will suffice.

I'm actually going to school in a couple of weeks for Underground Mining with the sole purpose of making enough to buy a GT-R within a couple of years.

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

Sounds like a terrible financial choice to make, IMO, especially if this is a one-time thing (the money). Better to figure out how to use that money to make more money before you start indulging yourself.

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

Panamera 4S or the new Lexus LS460. The perfect cruisers.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Sounds like a terrible financial choice to make, IMO, especially if this is a one-time thing (the money). Better to figure out how to use that money to make more money before you start indulging yourself.

Like I said, it's not a one-time thing, just extra. I make plenty, have plenty, will have plenty more, etc. etc.

That being said, yep, it's a terrible thing to do, but eh, wtf else am I living for?

That A6 looks sweet indeed...

Like I said, it's not a one-time thing, just extra. I make plenty, have plenty, will have plenty more, etc. etc.

That being said, yep, it's a terrible thing to do, but eh, wtf else am I living for?

That A6 looks sweet indeed...

The A6 isn't really $110k territory. A specced up A8 is, though.

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

You picked the wrong BMW.
650i with some nice extras :)

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

I'd buy a used Aston Martin V8 Vantage or a mid 90's Ferrari 456 GT or a used Maserati GranSport and probably something like a Fiat 500 Abarth to drive daily. The cars in your list are pretty soul-less.

Halvie

Banned

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

my order:

GT-R
GT-R
GT-R
GT-R

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

Maserati Gran Turismo & Ariel Atom.

It's dope, but the Jaguar C-X16 is going to be in the same price range...

jaguar_c_x16.jpg

...yeah.

It's going to be the F-Type R coupe. It's not likely to be a hybrid or have the push to pass feature. I'm sure it'll be a great car, but it's coming as a convertible first. Though Ian Callum says the F-Type is going to be 95% of what you see in the CX-16 all the spy shots of the car are showing something that looks more like an MX-5 than the CX-16. I think this car is going to be a bit of a letdown.

FStop7

Banned

What would you buy?

BMW M5 (or M3)
Audi RS5

Have you ever driven any of them before? Because this is a wildly varying list.

Also, have you ever owned a high performance car before? Because the cars on that list can get you into a lot of trouble very quickly.

Have you ever driven any of them before? Because this is a wildly varying list.

Also, have you ever owned a high performance car before? Because the cars on that list can get you into a lot of trouble very quickly.

Yeah, if I was in a position where I could buy a $100,000+ car I wouldn't be on a forum asking people what I should buy, I'd be out there hitting up every dealership I could and test driving them.

Enron

Banned
I wouldn't. These cars are for properly wealthy people, not someone that's got 110k in the bank. This is a horrible financial decision.

What would you buy?

CTS-V

used RX7 FD as a track/project car.

Culex

Banned
I wouldn't. These cars are for properly wealthy people, not someone that's got 110k in the bank. This is a horrible financial decision.

Exactly. Regular maintenance and tire / break replacement on these cars would bankrupt the average American if they only had the money to purchase the car itself.

It's going to be the F-Type R coupe. It's not likely to be a hybrid or have the push to pass feature. I'm sure it'll be a great car, but it's coming as a convertible first. Though Ian Callum says the F-Type is going to be 95% of what you see in the CX-16 all the spy shots of the car are showing something that looks more like an MX-5 than the CX-16. I think this car is going to be a bit of a letdown.

Take a look at this video and compare it with the images quoted, the car's going to be line-for-line. The back end might be slightly less exaggerated, but looks to retain the intent.

N-Bomb

As someone who isn't super enthusiastic about the looks of many recent Audis you guys are nuts

lead2-audi-quattro-concept-drive.jpg

amazing *still love the coupe quattro so biased...*

I know it's a concept, but those wheels are stupidly big.

What would you buy?

It HAS to be new? I don't particularly like any new cars, but I'd probably go with a Corvette or something. Maybe the base coupe. I don't need gobs of horsepower, I don't want white-boy luxury. Hard to think of anything domestically available that I'd have. Maybe a Cayman S. I dunno. If I can get something older... many more options!

Oh please. The entire suggestion is for someone who is financially secure. This is not about keeping score of your wealth. :p

ascii42

It HAS to be new? I don't particularly like any new cars, but I'd probably go with a Corvette or something. Maybe the base coupe. I don't need gobs of horsepower, I don't want white-boy luxury. Hard to think of anything domestically available that I'd have. Maybe a Cayman S. I dunno. If I can get something older... many more options!
Well, what would be your first choice if you could go with a used one then? I tried thinking of stuff, but the choices are too many at that point.

As for new cars, the Corvette's a solid choice, but I'd probably bump it up to the Grand Sport, and get Magnetic ride control and dual-mode exhaust while I'm at it.

Oh please. The entire suggestion is for someone who is financially secure. This is not about keeping score of your wealth. :p
Exactly. Responses like that take all the fun out of it. Perhaps the question could better be rephrased as "If you had $X and had to spend it on a car/cars, what would you get?"

Enron

Banned
If you've got 110k and you want to treat yourself, you go buy yourself a 30k or 40k dollar car tops. Not a (depreciating asset) 80k-100k car and wipe out your windfall. Even if you've got a good job, you now have an uber-expensive ridiculous upkeep vehicle on a non-richman salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom