• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
A fully equipped Russian-market version of the new 6 is said to weigh just 3109 pounds, which not only makes it lighter than its classmates, but leaves it just slightly heavier than a Porsche Boxster S.

That's seriously impressive for a family sedan of that size and cost.

Forsete

The Citroen flipped due to not having ESP, the same car's FIAT version did not flip because it had ESP. ESP should be able to prevent this from ever happening if programmed properly.

ESP should be mandatory for cars sold in the EU.

Edit: Already is, since 2011. :p
A tip for Jeep, make sure it works!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Sometimes taller cars with too little body roll, not enough suspension travel, or overly rigid chassis' may exhibit this kind of 2-wheeled behavior. When forces are being transmitted from one side of the car to the other, and that side cannot absorb them all...it overpowers the vehicle and causes it pick up its feet, or worse, flip.

Suspension tuning is such a nightmare to get right, it's easily the hardest part of developing a safe and capable car, if you ask me. The variables are virtually infinite.

Rad Agast

Mazdas are nice every day cars. I don't understand why they're under appreciated. The ride is just fine in a 6 Ultra (2.5 version is enough in my opinion).

N-Bomb

Holy shit, a good looking Mazda finally.

rB3mT.jpg

yeah we gotta make sure cars are all a minimum of 6,000 pounds.

Yeah, many injuries come from rapid deceleration - if you can just smash through the obstacle without slowing, it really lessens the chances of injury or death.

Legal requirements or not, the fact is the car isn't safe driven in that manner. That situation can easily come up when you try to avoid something on the road. I wouldn't want to be in such a vehicle regardless of how it complies with the laws.

Fixing it is simple, ESP reprogramming and optionally stiffer suspension.

On the ESP bit, how would braking different wheels help? Am I missing something?

matmanx1

I fell in love today. It was with a 2008 Porsche Cayman and I'm still giddy from my drive several hours ago. Best driving feel of any car that I've yet tried. It was quick, it sounded fantastic (as all Porsche flat 6's do) and the handling and road feel were even better than the Boxsters that I drove a week ago.

I think what really elevated it above the Boxster in my opinion was the cabin. It's more open and airy and of course has better visibility than the Boxster with the top up. I realize now that I find most roadsters to be claustrophobic unless the top is down and the Cayman doesn't have that problem.

The Cayman was just a base model with the standard 5 speed but even in heavy traffic and bad surface roads it was an absolute joy to drive. And it road as well or better over rough pavement than my existing econo box while being a hoot to operate. My thought upon driving it was "why can't all cars feel like this?!" followed closely by "I could actually drive this car every single day!" For a performance/exotic car, I find the Cayman's driveability in the real world to be somewhat incredible. It's like having your cake and eating it too!

So now I just have a tough wait ahead of me for a couple of months while I squirrel away some cash and finish paying off my wife's Altima. I am confident, however, that the Cayman will be worth the wait.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Not to sound like a dick...that Porsche is not an exotic, not even close. I can't even consider a 911 an exotic either.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AutoExpress reports Mazda is already looking at ways to give the company's 2014 Mazda6 a little more heat. The company isn't throwing out too many details at the moment beyond saying executives are looking at the possibility of creating a spiritual successor to the Mazdaspeed6. While speaking with the publication, Hiroshi Kajiyama, program manager for the Mazda6, admits a performance version has lots of potential, and that such a machine would be helpful for the brand. If a hotter four-door hits the market, it will likely be lighter than its common sibling with around 100 fewer pounds to lug around. It may also bow with a turbocharged version of the currently-available diesel mill.

Meanwhile, Autocar reports the new Mazda6 may spawn a two-door variant as well. Akira Tamatani, Mazda chief designer, said he would love to make such a vehicle, though no solid decision has been made one way or the other. What else does Mazda have planned for its newest model? Developers are sweating over the possible addition of an all-wheel drive system to help the machine better compete in foul-weather markets.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/29/mazda6-performance-and-coupe-models-mooted-all-wheel-drive-unde/

matmanx1

Not to sound like a dick...that Porsche is not an exotic, not even close. I can't even consider a 911 an exotic either.

Perhaps not an exotic to you but to the vast majority of the people I know it will be almost Martian spaceship territory. Down here in the deep South we tend to drive lots of trucks, SUV's and Japanese compact cars for fuel efficiency. I guarantee people in my own family will privately wonder if I've taken leave of my senses once I bring home any kind of Porsche.

That's ok though. I'm 37, no kids and have my wife's blessing and the financial security to buy and maintain a gently pre-owned Porsche. After driving Japanese compacts and family cars for the last decade I am ready to enjoy motoring again.

N-Bomb

I gotta agree. A Porsche GT may be exotic. An Aventador for sure. Ditto a Pagani. But a regular Porsche... not so much.

Exotics are rare, crazy feats of engineering. High end cars that are more about sheer performance than luxury, but that don't eschew the latter.

aznpxdd

Here are the latest pics of my X1 in China. Waiting on some plasti-dip + glossifier so I can paint the front lip, the top rails and rear diffuser in gloss black. Then I think I'm pretty much done with the exterior.

I think the difference from last time is H&R Springs, CF Vinyl interior trims, CF Vinyl mirror caps. Also finally put on the plates, cool that my dealer got me X1 at the end!

iBXCc0UYdyxOF.jpg

ij2wYA1kiSNUf.jpg

ibfKkmFUiX1sJk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom