• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't like that "bulging hood, low headlights" aesthetic going on with the new BMWs. Looks like a huge forehead or something.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because I bet they'll never make a car as good looking as the E36 again.

Edit: And no Porsches aren't exotics but, depending on the area, they will be exotic to the locals. When I bought my 911 I drove it home through back-hills country and any time I stopped at a small place people would show up for photos.

Runus

3wacGl.jpg

kNimol.jpg

tCBPSl.jpg

Picked this up a couple days ago. 2013 Ford Escape Titanium. Has the 2.0 Ecoboost in itand pretty much every option they have on the thing other than the AWD. I'm pretty impressed with the engine so far. It's no sports car, but it moves very well. And the geek in me loves all the tech even though people say they have problems with sync. So far, so good for me.

paskowitz

I just won a $500 gift certificate to the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving. Has anyone here done one of their programs? If you have please tell me about your experience and what program you did.

MisterNoisy

Picked this up a couple days ago. 2013 Ford Escape Titanium. Has the 2.0 Ecoboost in itand pretty much every option they have on the thing other than the AWD. I'm pretty impressed with the engine so far. It's no sports car, but it moves very well. And the geek in me loves all the tech even though people say they have problems with sync. So far, so good for me.

Congrats!

Additionally, people don't have problems with SYNC/MyFord Touch - old people have trouble with those things. You know - the same people that have trouble with using iPads, or remembering which side the brake pedal is on.

TylerD

That S2000 looks so good. Congratulations on acquiring that fine auto!

It is official that I am flying to Baltimore Thursday to get my car. The seller is driving 60+ miles to pick me up from the airport and I am going to get the deal done and escape from the DC metro that evening before stopping at a hotel. I can't wait to spend 1300 miles getting to know her.

N-Bomb

I just won a $500 gift certificate to the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving. Has anyone here done one of their programs? If you have please tell me about your experience and what program you did.

I'd like to know as well. Been meaning to do something like this for years.

Runus

Congrats!

Additionally, people don't have problems with SYNC/MyFord Touch - old people have trouble with those things. You know - the same people that have trouble with using iPads, or remembering which side the brake pedal is on.

haha. I can see that. I think the problem people have is maybe trying to actually physically touch the screen instead of just talking to it. I haven't found anything I can't do by just telling it so far. Touching the screen it isn't the most responsive thing in the world, but that's why you just tell it what to do.

A wild 944 approaches!

Don't let the ... rather grungy exterior fool you, the body is near as pristine as you can imagine for a car from 1983. The only rust on the body is around a small dent on the front left fender behind the wheel, which hasn't spread to the frame. Otherwise there's not a spot of rust anywhere, not even in the battery tray (which can only be explained with black magic).

Okay sure the engine hasn't been started in five years, but I plan on building a track car for 944 spec, I was going to get a new one or rebuild it anyway. The right rear hub is disassembled because apparently the guy two owners ago didn't know how to replace a CV joint without tearing everything apart--all the parts are there along with a brand new CV.

I uh... may need a new caliper there, though...

I can get it for $1500 or under, I'm betting. Then it's off to the races to tear it apart and start over. Edit: ($1500 may be a little high, but that'll include him towing it 40 minutes to my place).

bcl0328

I really don't like that "bulging hood, low headlights" aesthetic going on with the new BMWs. Looks like a huge forehead or something.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because I bet they'll never make a car as good looking as the E36 again.

Edit: And no Porsches aren't exotics but, depending on the area, they will be exotic to the locals. When I bought my 911 I drove it home through back-hills country and any time I stopped at a small place people would show up for photos.

they have to. something about pedestrian safety laws in europe.

iamblades

I like it on the coupes, makes them look like a badass muscle car.

On the sedans it makes them look a bit bloated and fat though.

A wild 944 approaches!

Don't let the ... rather grungy exterior fool you, the body is near as pristine as you can imagine for a car from 1983. The only rust on the body is around a small dent on the front left fender behind the wheel, which hasn't spread to the frame. Otherwise there's not a spot of rust anywhere, not even in the battery tray (which can only be explained with black magic).

Okay sure the engine hasn't been started in five years, but I plan on building a track car for 944 spec, I was going to get a new one or rebuild it anyway. The right rear hub is disassembled because apparently the guy two owners ago didn't know how to replace a CV joint without tearing everything apart--all the parts are there along with a brand new CV.

I uh... may need a new caliper there, though...

I can get it for $1500 or under, I'm betting. Then it's off to the races to tear it apart and start over. Edit: ($1500 may be a little high, but that'll include him towing it 40 minutes to my place).

Isn't that a pretty undesirable model? With a shitty little 4 cylinder? You could probably get it for cheaper considering it's not even in rolling condition. But, idk, I'm not an expert or anything.

Isn't that a pretty undesirable model? With a shitty little 4 cylinder? You could probably get it for cheaper considering it's not even in rolling condition. But, idk, I'm not an expert or anything.

There's a whole racing series based around stock Porsche 944s and that's what this car is going to be used for. I live in Cleveland and it's difficult to find one without a good bit of rot, and this car is from the southeast so hooray. I could probably find a better price but a few hundred bucks up or down doesn't matter so much when (you're a baller, wait no) you can get your hands on a rust-free frame in the rust belt.

matmanx1

The salesman at the Porsche dealership I spoke with a couple of weeks ago has a 944 (it's a 944S2 which is the big 3.0 liter 4 cylinder) that he's restored, built up and races with. They are more of a handling car than a go fast car but the weight distribution is pretty ideal and with proper tuning they can easily make 250-300hp in what is a fairly lightweight car. They are quite fine little cars.

Alebrije

Gold Member
I don't want to hurt your national pride, but I would not buy any car from any manufacturer made in Mexico. They relocate there to make cheaper cars and quality always suffers. Just look at all these Nissan's, VW's, Ford's made in Mexico compared to the same cars that were made somewhere else.

: ( , Yea I know , althought Mexico is the 8th car exporter most of the cars are for the low segment.

Anyway this year Lincoln began production in Sonora and it seems we will have Audis made in Mexico soon since the company will began construction for plant on Octuber.

What I really hate is that cars made in Mexico are exported with better engines, gadgets, etc. And here we get more expensive versions withe less equipment.

Alebrije

Gold Member
3wacGl.jpg

kNimol.jpg

tCBPSl.jpg

Great car , made test drive last week and I liked it. Better cost/price/gadgets compared to CRV.

My only concern are the FORD recalls so early due to a major problems.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/19/2013-ford-escape-suffers-second-recall-this-week/

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/11/ford-escape-under-fire-for-problems-caused-by-recall-repairs/

I know they will fix them but for a new car is a big letdown, hope yours is fine since is 2.0 and not 1.6 anyway will be good to be in touch with the dealer.

Here's mine as of yesterday.

droool. I sat in one, it was awesome. the dealership wouldnt let me drive it ( it was auto neway ) as it was in the showroom. I really loved the 3/4 view of this car.

With the options you got, isn't it basically a BRZ now? that seems to be the main difference between the FR-S and BRZ. (outside of some upper limit handling differences.)

wotter

droool. I sat in one, it was awesome. the dealership wouldnt let me drive it ( it was auto neway ) as it was in the showroom. I really loved the 3/4 view of this car.

With the options you got, isn't it basically a BRZ now? that seems to be the main difference between the FR-S and BRZ. (outside of some upper limit handling differences.)

Well, in Belgium there is only one version available to buy, with five available options (sat nav, leather, parking sensors, metallic paint and the pack with the spoiler), so it's very well equipped. So yes, it is practically the same as the BRZ.

Btw, you really need to drive one, I was hooked on it from the very first moment.

Well, in Belgium there is only one version available to buy, with five available options (sat nav, leather, parking sensors, metallic paint and the pack with the spoiler), so it's very well equipped. So yes, it is practically the same as the BRZ.

Btw, you really need to drive one, I was hooked on it from the very first moment.

wow, i totally missed the toyota badging! i would love to drive one, but now there is less reason too after I got the S2k.

Archer

Debating on pulling the trigger on a low mileage CPO Acura ZDX. It'd be my family's 4th Acura. I love the polarizing styling, awd, reliability and specs of this crossover.

Anyone else dig these?

Pics for clicks:

cq8jk4w

bqdu3nf

cpjr37s

Rad Agast

Congrats.

Wait till your second oil change (1000 miles) before going over 4000 rpm. once you get there, you'll be having alot of fun with this small thing.

Edit:

No one can fucking touch Acura interiors in terms of design imo.

No fucking one

To each his own but I think most European cars have far better interiors.

bcl0328

Congrats.

Wait till your second oil change (1000 miles) before going over 4000 rpm. once you get there, you'll be having alot of fun with this small thing.

Edit:

To each his own but I think most European cars have far better interiors.

i still haven't changed my oil yet and i'm at 11k

Acid08

Banned
Think there's anyway, buying an FRS in the USA, you can talk to the dealer and have the Toyota badges put on instead of the Scion and FRS badges? I'm sure if they would do that it would be expensive.

Rad Agast

Think there's anyway, buying an FRS in the USA, you can talk to the dealer and have the Toyota badges put on instead of the Scion and FRS badges? I'm sure if they would do that it would be expensive.

Can't you just order the badges online and have them fitted either your self or at a car accessories shop?

Acid08

Banned
Can't you just order the badges online and have them fitted either your self or at a car accessories shop?

Definitely, I'm just wondering if dealers are even allowed to do it. Seems like such a smug thing to do at a Scion dealership and I'm all about that.

jey_16

Banned
In terms of interior design and quality, Audis are untouchable lately.

Have to agree, watching clips of the A6/A7 and the interior is gorgeous.....especially that flip up screen, combine that with the jaguar xf gear selector and I would be in heaven.

I was in a BMW 125i recently and for a German car at that price, it was actually pretty good, decent set of standard options as well. In comparion, one of my friends bought a c200 and it felt dated, not sure why but I think MB cheapens out a bit more with the low end cars

paskowitz

No one can fucking touch Acura interiors in terms of design imo.

No fucking one

This statement is factually incorrect. You have obviously not been inside an Audi A8 or Jaguar XJ. Acura's interiors are quite derivative from Honda.

In terms of interior design and quality, Audis are untouchable lately.

Yep. It is their strongest trait.

Agreed. Their downfall is maintenance.

Had a B4 Audi A4... maintenance almost cost more than the car itself. Never again.

Have you sat in a German car before?

Again, Audi takes the cake. But Mercs can be really nice once you go up in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom