• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Very nice exterior. Not liking the interior though, the VI is much nicer. The AC controls of the VII looks like it came from a CR-V. Where is the handbrake?/B]

Below the gear stick to the left, it's the top button there and the bottom one is hill-hold assist, they've switched to an electromechanical handbrake.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'll see your Jag and raise you the A8.

2013-Audi-A8-Hybrid-Interior.jpg

Oh Jesus that's nicer than my house.

Forsete

Below the gear stick to the left, it's the top button there and the bottom one is hill-hold assist, they've switched to an electromechanical handbrake.

I see. That will take some time getting used to. :p

Not sure about the Golf thing, they're just too bloody common!

No kidding. Most sold car year-after-year-after-year. But also the car that best holds its value the best (because they are never left on the lot for a long time, you'll always find a buyer).
Mine is a little more "rare", as it is a Bluemotion, they are not that common (yet).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I got a question to ask to see if I'm not thinking rationally.

I want my next car to be a manual transmission. I have never driven a manual car outside of video games. I don't know anyone with a manual car.

I was thinking of buying a cheap manual car ~$2000 to get it down because I wouldn't want to screw up my new car.

Am I crazy for thinking of doing this?

Not if it's a hobby. At that price, go for it. See if you like it. I personally think it's an essential life skill that all drivers should at least have a rough grasp of. But if it's a daily driver, from my perspective, yes. The feeling of "control" is vastly overrated depending on the car, and most people, and I mean MOST people in the US drive stick shifts really badly. Luckily nobody here on gaf's elite ubermenschen driving forum ever grinds gears, changes too soon or too late, or misses fuel economy averages by a country mile.

New auto shifters/clutches are doing far smoother, better gear changes than humans can and ultimately their push deeper and deeper into sports will eventually make stick go away for all but a few collector cars.

TylerD

So tomorrow is the day I fly out to get my 330ci ZHP. I was talking to a customer about what I was doing and he told me to check out the skyline drive in the Shenandoah National Park. Sure enough, I will be able to drive the whole thing by driving about 70 miles west out of Woodbridge where I will be picking up my car.

I know the speed limit on Skyline Drive is 35mph and I am not going to be doing any performance driving without plates with the possibility of getting a speeding ticket on federal land.

After skyline drive I can go southwest all the way to knoxville where I will meet up with I-40 for the rest of the drive. Should be a great trip.

coldfoot

Banned
Here is a list of cars that look better than Accord in that segment:
1. Passat: Definitely the one to beat, but unknown reliability and outdated GPS tech.
2. Fusion: Looks great at the expense of outward visibility, unknown reliability and no V6.

I think the Accord is on par with the new Mazda 6 in looks, and still gets better interior tech and a V6 option. Camry, Altima, Koreans are uglier than the Accord. Also LOL @ Malibu.

So it's the best looking, reliable sedan with proper infotainment tech and a V6 option.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm not comparing it to other cars, I simply don't think the Accord looks very good.

It's not like full-size sedans are known for their looks anyways (until you get to the luxury segment).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mazda 6 is too curvy and feminine looking for my tastes. Loved the concept but the actual car isn't the best.
Accord is definitely a huge improvement from the current version, don't you think?

0112_xmos.gif

robox

i'm not sure why anybody in this thread even cares about the midsize sedan segment. it's the most boring genre of cars there is. each car in the segment is interchangeable as far as i'm concerned

coldfoot

Banned
I find most Honda/Acura's ugly as well but this Accord is fine, really. It's vanilla, and the buyers in this segment want vanilla. Current gen is the truly ugly one.

ascii42

i'm not sure why anybody in this thread even cares about the midsize sedan segment. it's the most boring genre of cars there is. each car in the segment is interchangeable as far as i'm concerned

I can't be the only one in here with a mid-size sedan (2010 Chevy Malibu, in my case). I wanted something normal, cheap, and reasonably fuel efficient, because I already had the Olds. I kind of agree on the interchangeable comment though.

If we ran a vote on everyone here's cars, I'd probably get voted least enthusiast-oriented collection though (midsize sedan, big slow 70s land yacht, late 80s American "luxury" coupe).

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Think there's anyway, buying an FRS in the USA, you can talk to the dealer and have the Toyota badges put on instead of the Scion and FRS badges? I'm sure if they would do that it would be expensive.
Ask them to put Subaru badges on it instead.

Acura's interiors are quite derivative from Honda.
I liked the TSX. Everything else is buttons that have buttons.

The entry level Mercs has received a substantial upgrade. The C-class facelift is a massive improvement over it´s predecessor.
It damn well better be an improvement. The last one looked like a Seabring.

A Charger took advantage of a 328i.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I drove an XJ for three months, and it looked great, but the interior felt so cheap and the ride was jarring (even in downtown Seattle, which has half-decently paved streets).
I drove the same car and while I had no complaints about the ride, I can 100% confirm this when it comes to interior. It just wasn't what I was expecting it to be. Nowhere close to Audi A8 or Mercedes S, but it was less expensive too. The screen they used for gauges was a huge turnoff too. So cheap looking.

coldfoot

Banned
Hi, my name is coldfoot and I only eat white bread.
LOL. I like Mazda's and think CX-5 is the best application of their new styling direction, and would prefer it over any of its competitors based on styling alone. I just don't like it as much on the 6.

Rad Agast

Oh did I mention you can get a used Acura NSX, Porsche Cayman and Lotus Elise for less than $35k. In fact you could get them for $25k and save the $10k for eventual repairs. To me that is a MUCH better deal. Again, if your primary goal is to own a fun to drive car.

That's the right answer... I think. To be honest there are too many options but you can't go wrong with that one.

I'm especially looking forward to the new Mazda6 pretty much because of two things: diesel and an eventual new Mazdaspeed6. In this current day and age of 54mpg by 2025 or whatever, we need diesels here in America. But diesel still has the stigma of being a pollutant and kills the environment, blah blah blah, when in fact diesel has become really clean and is as good as pure petrol. And I think with Mazda bringing in their diesel engines in the 6 and CX-5, it might lead to other companies also bringing in their diesel engines.

Also, just think for a moment of how awesome a turbodiesel Mazdaspeed 6 would be. Monstrous torque and amazing fuel economy? I'll be all over that like a fat kid in a buffet. lol.

n0n44m

After our (3.5 year) experience with the current gen Mazda 6 (euro) 2.0 diesel I'd avoid them like the plague :)

Are their diesels still older generation Ford engines?

I do like the styling of the new model a lot...

Alebrije

Gold Member

Finally it was confirmed :
MEXICAN´S AUDIS will be real !!!

"Audi will build a new “ground-up” assembly plant in the southern Mexican city of Puebla, a factory it will use to supply the U.S. and a number of other markets around the world"

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012/09/audi-picks-puebla-for-new-north-american-plant/

"The new plant will house production for the successor to the current Audi Q5 after the facility is up and running in 2016. Expected annual output capacity is projected to be 150,000 units. Construction work on the plant buildings is slated to begin in mid 2013"

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/04/audi-chooses-san-jose-chiapa-mexico-for-new-north-american-plan/

Good news !!!!!!!!!!!

coldfoot

Banned

Finally it was confirmed :
MEXICAN´S AUDIS will be real !!!

"Audi will build a new “ground-up” assembly plant in the southern Mexican city of Puebla, a factory it will use to supply the U.S. and a number of other markets around the world"

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012/09/audi-picks-puebla-for-new-north-american-plant/

"The new plant will house production for the successor to the current Audi Q5 after the facility is up and running in 2016. Expected annual output capacity is projected to be 150,000 units. Construction work on the plant buildings is slated to begin in mid 2013"

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/04/audi-chooses-san-jose-chiapa-mexico-for-new-north-american-plan/

Good news !!!!!!!!!!!

Audi's already have a reputation of being unreliable. This is not going to help at all.

matmanx1

Hello beautiful Ferrari! What's your name??

And as far as the manual transmission goes: I'm all for it. I agree that not every car is better with a manual and that the best automatics (like Porsche's PDK for example) shift faster and smoother than any human ever could. However the cars that really benefit from the manual are still the sportier, more performance oriented cars and the sense of control and fun you get from driving a really good manual transmission car is (to me) one of life's pleasures.

Slowing for a corner and downshifting so that you come out in the fat part of the torque curve with good acceleration never gets old. And I've not yet seen an automatic that could anticipate the downshift and keep the revs where I want them for the exit of the corner. The good automatics may yet be faster but they will never be as much fun.

And thankfully I live in a rural area with lots of twisty backroads and very little traffic where I get to put such technique's into practice. It's one of the main reasons I want a great handling car.

mf.luder

Mk7 Golf:

b8c21b0546ba975697733d5c782e4c30.png

2014-volkswagen-golf-9_1035.jpg

image-397128-galleryV9-tosi.jpg

image-397132-galleryV9-swuq.jpg

Looks good except for the C pillar, interior looks amazing for that price range.

I think I'm going to stick with a MKVI. It looks wicked but knowing VWCanada, it'll be stripped down. Don't want to wait 8 months to be disappointed.

edit: I'm in the market for a TDI Golf and happened to wait for this announcement to pass before making my mind up.

coldfoot

Banned
Slowing for a corner and downshifting so that you come out in the fat part of the torque curve with good acceleration never gets old. And I've not yet seen an automatic that could anticipate the downshift and keep the revs where I want them for the exit of the corner. The good automatics may yet be faster but they will never be as much fun.
Since you don't need a clutch to do that, I don't see how a DSG in manual shifting mode wouldn't be able to provide you with the same experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom