• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

Since you don't need a clutch to do that, I don't see how a DSG in manual shifting mode wouldn't be able to provide you with the same experience.

I'm sure it would but I don't own one and none of the dealerships around here seem like they want to let me borrow a DSG equipped sports car for a day to try it out. The bums!

But seriously. The best DSG setup with paddle shifters still isn't going to be as interactive as a good old fashioned manual with a proper clutch. There's a fun factor and a really satisfying feeling if you do it right, especially with the heal and toe action.

After our (3.5 year) experience with the current gen Mazda 6 (euro) 2.0 diesel I'd avoid them like the plague :)

Are their diesels still older generation Ford engines?

I do like the styling of the new model a lot...

Nope, everything new coming out of Mazda is internally developed because it has to be built under the Skyactiv guidelines. We never got a diesel Mazda6 here in the States but I do know that people had problems with the V6 version of the 6 as it was "Built Ford Tough," so I can see why you'd avoid them. I honestly will too for now, as my Miata is perfectly for daily driving, but it's also new tech... I'd rather they work out the kinks so the later models are problem free.

But seriously. The best DSG setup with paddle shifters still isn't going to be as interactive as a good old fashioned manual with a proper clutch. There's a fun factor and a really satisfying feeling if you do it right, especially with the heal and toe action.

Some dual clutch setups and torque converters with manual shifting never rev match at all and those are a pain in the ass, especially the earlier editions of manumatics. But I think Porsche's PDK and BMW's DSG actually do proper revmatching these days, so it's not much of an annoyance.

Regardless, I'll still take the 3 pedals and a shifter any day though. Other than the fact that's it's more fun, people are less likely to steal it since people can't drive stick these days here in the US.

Archer

iCE49KJGLCA8t.gif

gatti-man

It's a Corvette that looks like a Ferrari from the time when Ferrari knew how to make attractive cars.

Disagree. The nose looks odd and too high off the ground. The chromeish side vent is tacky and out of place with the flow of the car, the rear quater panel reflector is HIDEOUS, and the LEDs on the headlights look cheap as hell. (from the overhead render)

Disagree. The nose looks odd and too high off the ground. The chromeish side vent is tacky and out of place with the flow of the car, the rear quater panel reflector is HIDEOUS, and the LEDs on the headlights look cheap as hell. (from the overhead render)

The nose is going to be what it's going to be due to pedestrian safety standards; I'm surprised it's as low as it is (look at the Porsche 997 -> 991 for another nose job for pedestrian safety). I didn't notice the chrome vent and I agree on that front but otherwise I enjoy the lines--little details can be changed so the lines of the car are the decider for me. The LEDs did look goofy in the render but LEDs gonna LED.

All in all I think I like the C6 more, but this is looks good for something under current safety constraints.

matmanx1

The exterior of a Corvette has never really been the problem. It's the interior. If I'm paying that much money for a car I want a far better interior, or at least a far more refined one than anything that's ever been offered in a Vette. I respect the performance potential, however.

ascii42

The exterior of a Corvette has never really been the problem. It's the interior. If I'm paying that much money for a car I want a far better interior, or at least a far more refined one than anything that's ever been offered in a Vette. I respect the performance potential, however.

Given how most other Chevy interiors have improved since the C6 was introduce, I'm sure the Vette's will be much better as well.

Unless they base it on the Camaro.

coldfoot

Banned
Given how most other Chevy interiors have improved since the C6 was introduce, I'm sure the Vette's will be much better as well.

Unless they base it on the Camaro.
Thankfully Vette styling has remained immune to the crappy retro craze that's been going on.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just putting this out there, but the F50 was the best looking of the Ferrari halo cars. Then it's a tie between the F40 and 250 GTO, then the 288 GTO, then the Ferrari Aztek.

N-Bomb

Just putting this out there, but the F50 was the best looking of the Ferrari halo cars. Then it's a tie between the F40 and 250 GTO, then the 288 GTO, then the Ferrari Aztek.

My favourite is still probably the F360.

The nose is going to be what it's going to be due to pedestrian safety standards;

Wish we would just ignore bullshit like pedestrian safety. You're getting hit by a car. Nothing short of using couch cushion bumpers will save you.

cbox

I'm ready to bite the bullet on some new rims for my 2010 mazda 3, thoughts on these? I won't be lowering it yet, maybe eventually. I'm under the impression the 18s will fill in the gaps between the tire and car pretty well. Man I sound like a noob, this will be my first accessory purchase for my car.

This is what my car will look like, mine is dark grey.

iFoP5.jpg

Rims in question are the work evolution , http://www.workwheelsusa.com/product.php?category=27&wheel=124

Goddamm that concept f70 above my post is sexy.

matmanx1

My favorite Ferrari will always be the Magnum P.I. car, the 308 GTS. I think it looks and sounds fantastic and it's deeply ingrained in my childhood psyche from watching Magnum with my parents on TV. Geeky, but true.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how are the new 3 and 5 series BMWs compared to the previous E60 and E90? New job means lots of miles so might look at a used E90/E60 rather than depreciate a new one, but if the new models significantly improve in any areas I'd be interested to know.

Visually I think I prefer the late, facelifted E90 saloon over the new one (and the E92 is sublime, but I think my family is getting to the stage where they need more rear space)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You're telling me they just didn't have the Mustang in Europe? I just assumed it was available but unpopular.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thankfully Vette styling has remained immune to the crappy retro craze that's been going on.

For all we know they may have been trying to do just that, but original Vettes were so futuristic and curvy you might not know. Slab sided garbage like the Camaro (one of the better ones) and the Charger (fucking despicably ugly) is an absolute disgrace in terms of aesthetics.

I am actually glad there are so goddamned many of them. Now they're not even interesting.

ascii42

For all we know they may have been trying to do just that, but original Vettes were so futuristic and curvy you might not know. Slab sided garbage like the Camaro (one of the better ones) and the Charger (fucking despicably ugly) is an absolute disgrace in terms of aesthetics.

I am actually glad there are so goddamned many of them. Now they're not even interesting.

I feel like the Mustang is evolving past retro with each update. I like the Camaro, but the Challenger is the only one to properly pull off the retro look in my opinion.

paskowitz

People didn't like the Ferrari f355? It is one of the best looking Ferraris.

I view it as acceptable when compared to the other Ferraris of the era, but in terms of overall Ferrari history, it is in the middle of the list. The truth is Clarkson is right, most Ferraris are not pretty, fast yes, but pretty, no.

I really wish Ferrari would re-manufacture cars like this and the Superamerica. Visually just like they were, but mechanically to the standard of today's Ferraris.

One of my goals in life is to get a classic car, namely a '62 corvette, and a wreaked modern sports car, like an M3, and combine the 2 into one. The looks of a classic Vette, the drivetrain and suspension of an M3, and maybe a modern LS6 engine. One day maybe. :D

paskowitz

One of my goals in life is to get a classic car, namely a '62 corvette, and a wreaked modern sports car, like an M3, and combine the 2 into one. The looks of a classic Vette, the drivetrain and suspension of an M3, and maybe a modern LS6 engine. One day maybe. :D

It is funny, I had a similar dream. Take a Alfa Romeo 8C and give it the internals of a 458. To me this would be the ultimate car...

Ok... not quite... it is a tie between that and stuffing a supercharged LFA V10 in the current Lotus Exige chassis, magnetic suspension, moveable aero and rapping it in body panels that look like the year later result of a Mclaren F1 and a Peregrine Falcon's one night stand.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Late but I can't believe Autoblog ran that story with that absolutely atrocious mock up of what the F70 could look like. Usually a fan of their content but I had to go WTF and ask if they really did pull some 12 year old's shop of every modern Ferrari styling in one car.

It is funny, I had a similar dream. Take a Alfa Romeo 8C and give it the internals of a 458. To me this would be the ultimate car...

Ok... not quite... it is a tie between that and stuffing a supercharged LFA V10 in the current Lotus Exige chassis, magnetic suspension, moveable aero and rapping it in body panels that look like the year later result of a Mclaren F1 and a Peregrine Falcon's one night stand.

I also want to make a rear-engined, rear wheel drive El Camino with a Lambo V12.

ascii42

I saw an episode of West Coast Customs with Tanner Foust where they built him a classic Pontiac GTO with the mechanics of a new GTO (well, Holden Monaro). That could be a lot of fun.

tino

Banned
Nothing beats 360 Modena's look.

All the modern Ferrari flagships are in the "when Italians gone wild" category.

Ovid

What type of Vette is that?

People didn't like the Ferrari f355? It is one of the best looking Ferraris.
Yup. I remember it being in the first Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit game. Beautiful car.

I don't think I've ever seen it in person though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom