• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperbah

Regarding stock: The way I read it I assumed you already had drag radials, and were getting the headers and the PCM. Is changing your tires to drag racing specific tires considered keeping a car stock?

Regarding quartermile times: The best time I've been able to find for the GT-R is 10.87 and that's from the video w/ the ZR1 where the driver missed a shift. There's a shot of the trap time alongside the e/ts at the end of that video as well.

I couldn't find any records for the ZR1. The closest I've been able to find was from 0-60Times which quoted several ZR1 trims in the 11 second range. So I'd love to see where you got the numbers you posted for the ZR1.

Also Inside Line's comparo posted 10.8 @ 125.3 for an '08 Viper

Regarding the Viper: According to you, it seems designed to drive in straight lines very quickly :p, but it was more of a knock on its sheer brashness (hur hur no traction control) and I didn't mean to be so dismissive of it myself, so I apologize for that one. The ACR and GTS-R are of course different stories, as the former has posted fantastic lap times and the latter won its fair share of races.

And yes, I've been to a track and a strip before. I tend to read my copy of Motor Trend instead of watching though.

I should've just said "The GT-R can hold its own" and avoided this mess. :\

If only every post in this thread could be filled with as much enlightenment as this one, we would truly be a council of elders.

I apologize for getting so riled up.....Regarding the drag radials...no not considered stock in most cases....that is an argument that is always up in the air for some reason though.

ZR1 records....http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...zr1-1-4-mile-and-standing-mile-fast-list.html

Also, damn at the 10.3 @ 135.35 with just drag radials.

found the viper record....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTevFbLfm3g. So the GTR has had a faster E/T and slower trap.

I apologize for getting so riled up.....Regarding the drag radials...no not considered stock in most cases....that is an argument that is always up in the air for some reason though.

ZR1 records....http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...zr1-1-4-mile-and-standing-mile-fast-list.html

Also, damn at the 10.3 @ 135.35 with just drag radials.

found the viper record....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTevFbLfm3g. So the GTR has had a faster E/T and slower trap.

I'm sorry I took this way past where it needed to go lol. At the end of the day they're all pretty damn great cars.

gatti-man

I'm not saying the GTR is limited in potential, it's a car you can push to it's limits and feel comfortable doing it. I am saying the potential for the ZR1 and viper are greater...but the variability of times for the aforementioned cars is also much greater. I have seen people in H/C/I Z06s run 13s. That just wont happen in a GTR unless you forget to push the gas when the light goes green.

I don't want to make it seem like i'm hating on GTRs, I almost bought an 09....and when modding begins, forget about it, GTR's respond well to the most basic stuff.

I am. The car is over complicated, heavy, and super expensive to repair or maintain. It offers no more status than a corvette while giving the negatives of exotics with high repair bills. The gtr is not something I would own unless I could afford a stable of cars. Want a high end exotic? Porsche turbo pdk, want a track/dd car? Corvette/viper. I mean really the gtr is cheap entry high to maintain with crazy expensive components. To own one and really mod it/ drive it you need a Porsche budget so why not just buy a Porsche?

Edit: I really looked into buying one when I was shopping for my z06, I really couldn't figure out who the gtr is selling too. Probably why it's sales are terrible.

I am. The car is over complicated, heavy, and super expensive to repair or maintain. It offers no more status than a corvette while giving the negatives of exotics with high repair bills. The gtr is not something I would own unless I could afford a stable of cars. Want a high end exotic? Porsche turbo pdk, want a track/dd car? Corvette/viper. I mean really the gtr is cheap entry high to maintain with crazy expensive components. To own one and really mod it/ drive it you need a Porsche budget so why not just buy a Porsche?

Um really??

compare to other cars with similar performance, its actually not too bad.

tires are expensive.
transmission oil is kinda on the up side.
brakes are similar to high performance cars.

oil change is like any other nissan.

guess how much an oil change on other super cars?

gatti-man

Um really??

compare to other cars with similar performance, its actually not too bad.

tires are expensive.
transmission oil is kinda on the up side.
brakes are similar to high performance cars.

oil change is like any other nissan.

guess how much an oil change on other super cars?

Look at how much Nissan charges for maintanence at 10k miles. And it's mandatory. That tranny you plan on adding power too? It's 20k. The mandatory maintanence is crazy high.

Yes it is high unless you are comparing it to an exotic and the gtr is not an exotic. It's styling does not even say 80k to me. It offers little status among non gear heads.

Look at how much Nissan charges for maintanence at 10k miles. And it's mandatory. That tranny you plan on adding power too? It's 20k. The mandatory maintanence is crazy high.

Yes it is high unless you are comparing it to an exotic and the gtr is not an exotic. It's styling does not even say 80k to me. It offers little status among non gear heads.

um ok.....

10k maintenance?...

lets see, 0 zero dollars.

performance optimization service, which is mandatory is free....

For going in straight lines. That's why it's so fast around the Nurburgring, which, as we all know, has no corners.

And we should care because....

The vipers always had capable handling, I have no idea where the notion of it can only go fast in straight line started.

I think some people always try to put certain cars into negative light..

gatti-man

um ok.....

10k maintenance?...

lets see, 0 zero dollars.

performance optimization service, which is mandatory is free....

That's during warranty. The guy was discussing an 09. I don't believe the service stays free no matter what. All I know is I lurked on the gtr forums enough to know the car isn't a daily and has a lot of things that cost big money. Without warranty it's 1k I believe and it does not get cheaper from there.
And we should care because....

Because a car that costs big money to operate usually offers status. It's just a positive that most higher end cars have. Only the vette and gtr lack status of the high end sports cars. The vette even the zr1 is far cheaper to maintain.

That's during warranty. The guy was discussing an 09. I don't believe the service stays free no matter what. All I know is I lurked on the gtr forums enough to know the car isn't a daily and has a lot of things that cost big money. Without warranty it's 1k I believe and it does not get cheaper from there.

Because a car that costs big money to operate usually offers status. It's just a positive that most higher end cars have. Only the vette and gtr lack status of the high end sports cars. The vette even the zr1 is far cheaper to maintain.

gotcha, lurking internet forum makes you know everything about a car...

amma go eat bacon now, because the internet says bacon is the greatest food ever!!

gatti-man

gotcha, lurking internet forum makes you know everything about a car...

amma go eat bacon now, because the internet says bacon is the greatest food ever!!

Yes actually it does when it comes to service costs etc. honestly go to NAGTROC and read before you act like a smartass. A 2 second google search says owners are paying 1450-2k just for the 18k mile service alone.

Viperbah

Yes actually it does when it comes to service costs etc. honestly go to NAGTROC and read before you act like a smartass. A 2 second google search says owners are paying 1450-2k just for the 18k mile service alone.

He owns a GTR.....

I really don't know much about the maintenance schedule of a GTR, but looking into the engine bay and underneath they are built very well IMO and would think the normal wear and tear stuff (tires, oil etc) would be cheaper than most. Tires are smaller, uses less oil.

I hope you have a warranty on your LS7 with that nasty lifter thing going around...jk jk

You planning on modding your Z at all?

Smokey

Probably not until late next year.

This is the latest render based on the disguised test mules that have been seen in public.

attachment.php

got damn

wannnttt this
render

gatti-man

He owns a GTR.....

I really don't know much about the maintenance schedule of a GTR, but looking into the engine bay and underneath they are built very well IMO and would think the normal wear and tear stuff (tires, oil etc) would be cheaper than most. Tires are smaller, uses less oil.

I hope you have a warranty on your LS7 with that nasty lifter thing going around...jk jk

You planning on modding your Z at all?

If he owns it then why is he acting like he knows nothing about maintanence costs? Hell call a Nissan dealer and ask for yourself its not cheap at all. The gtr costs far outweigh the vette that's a fact or I'd be driving a gtr lol.

No I won't be modding for power just for weight. The issue you are referencing is an exhaust valve issue the ls7 seems to have. LG and Katech say its less than 1% but what happens is premature wear on the valve guides can cause exhaust valve failure effectively windowing the block. This is usually a result of heavy track use (most failures have over 30 track hours plus regular miles). I'm getting a full Xpel ultimate wrap put on it in two weeks then plan seats, lith ion battery, akropovic titanium Evo exhaust and see where I go from there. I have a five year power train and 3 year b2b, I bought certified. If I still own it after five years I will pull the heads and do a full H/C/I job.

If he owns it then why is he acting like he knows nothing about maintanence costs? Hell call a Nissan dealer and ask for yourself its not cheap at all. The gtr costs far outweigh the vette that's a fact or I'd be driving a gtr lol.

No I won't be modding for power just for weight. The issue you are referencing is an exhaust valve issue the ls7 seems to have. LG and Katech say its less than 1% but what happens is premature wear on the valve guides can cause exhaust valve failure effectively windowing the block. This is usually a result of heavy track use (most failures have over 30 track hours plus regular miles). I'm getting a full Xpel ultimate wrap put on it in two weeks then plan seats, lith ion battery, akropovic titanium Evo exhaust and see where I go from there.

I wasn't even going to reply anymore for calling me a smart ass....even when I own a GT-R.

How am I acting?

Like Ive been saying, the maintenance cost ain't that bad as what you been saying..

you are the one acting like you know about the GT-R just because you lurk on NAGTROC..please...

Not every single GT-R owner post on NAGTROC..

I get my info from my GT-R certified mechanic and the local GT-R group.

I also have my maintenance receipt...

unlike you...who lurks internet forums and all of a sudden becomes a know it all...

wow....just wow...

as far as I know your opinion and credibility means ZERO.

J-Rzez

I wasn't even going to reply anymore for calling me a smart ass....even when I own a GT-R.

How am I acting?

Like Ive been saying, the maintenance cost ain't that bad as what you been saying..

you are the one acting like you know about the GT-R just because you lurk on NAGTROC..please...

unlike you...who lurks internet forums and all of a sudden becomes a know it all...

wow....just wow...

as far as I know you're opinion and credibility means ZERO.

Out of curiosity what are the maint costs on it? I don't care about tire prices, as that's easy to figure out on it's own. I assume that annual maint is the trans "re-learning"? They don't make you sign off that you must bring the car in for their oil changes I hope. So actually, what are the expected maint intervals up to and including 60k miles (that's usually timing belt/chain territory) and their projected costs?

Now I'm looking into PENN-DOT to see if I can successfully register an Ariel Atom and drive it on the streets here. VIR isn't too far away. I might have to look at "kit car status" for it. This stupid state and their laws that a car has to have bumpers lol.

Probably gonna pickup an old cherokee to do winter duties, and just leave my evo garaged in the winter.

WAT?!?!?! I will honestly say that I have never-ever had as much fun driving than when in my Evo on these back mountain/country roads by where I live now, covered in fresh snow, and with a set of good snow tires on it. It's why it's hard for me to get rid of the car actually. Well, that, and outside of it's crap interior despite the leather recaros and momo wheel, it just does everything "right".

Rad Agast

P.S. BRZ/FR-S owners, I've heard this rambling about 'Check Engine Light' problem that quite a few of people are experiencing within the first 1000 miles, though I've heard that this problem is being rectified in future productions. How serious of an issue this is?

5800 KM on the ODO and no problems yet (knocks on wood). JDM BRZ Limited AT.

Out of curiosity what are the maint costs on it? I don't care about tire prices, as that's easy to figure out on it's own. I assume that annual maint is the trans "re-learning"? They don't make you sign off that you must bring the car in for their oil changes I hope. So actually, what are the expected maint intervals up to and including 60k miles (that's usually timing belt/chain territory) and their projected costs?

The performance optimization service is free for the first 3 years. It includes alignment engine balance, and transmission re learning. My certified gt-r mechanic will charge me around 500 after that. The thing that's weird is that dealer price varies a lot.

Not to sure what's the 60k miles service is, I'm along way to go for that, I will need to ask my mechanic next time I see him.

But overall so far maintenance ain't too bad.. Kinda similar to the NSX.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

N-Bomb

If you guys want to read a stupid fucking argument, go visit the Tesla S versus BMW M5 thread. Bunch of non-car people trying to educate on the virtues of an electric.

Like I said in the other thread, whoever drove that M5 doesn't know how to drive.

Electric is great, but it's not there yet. I believe we already had this argument like 60 pages ago.

Which other thread?

If you guys want to read a stupid fucking argument, go visit the Tesla S versus BMW M5 thread. Bunch of non-car people trying to educate on the virtues of an electric.

Like I said in the other thread, whoever drove that M5 doesn't know how to drive.

That thread is funny. I love it when non car people try to convince gearheads that electric/hybrid is the way to go lol. I'll gladly take an EV/hybrid if it was rear wheel drive and had a 6 speed box... otherwise I'll stick to a gasoline/diesel engine and the classic stick shift.

The performance optimization service is free for the first 3 years. It includes alignment engine balance, and transmission re learning. My certified gt-r mechanic will charge me around 500 after that. The thing that's weird is that dealer price varies a lot.

Not to sure what's the 60k miles service is, I'm along way to go for that, I will need to ask my mechanic next time I see him.

But overall so far maintenance ain't too bad.. Kinda similar to the NSX.

Interesting to hear this coming from a GT-R owner. So would you say that picking up a 09-10 GT-R in 2016 a good purchase?

I'd love to buy one and keep my current Miata as a DD and have the GT-R as a toy. But that'll wait until 2016 lol.

gatti-man

How am I acting?

wow....just wow...

as far as I know your opinion and credibility means ZERO.
ok want me to start posting link after link proving you wrong about average prices? so you have a hookup, great for you. The average guy still pays out the rear for service and you know this you were just acting purposely coy.

Of course not every owner posts on NAGTROC not every owner posts on corvette forum yet you can go there and find 100% rock solid info on costs and issues. You acting like its a den of rumors or half truths just isn't true. My credibility is just what I read and phone calls I made to Round Rock Nissan and A South austin Nissan Dealer. Neither had a magic Nissan tech offering up cheap service for out of warranty GTRs.

Interesting to hear this coming from a GT-R owner. So would you say that picking up a 09-10 GT-R in 2016 a good purchase?

I'd love to buy one and keep my current Miata as a DD and have the GT-R as a toy. But that'll wait until 2016 lol.

like any used car, just as along as its well maintain, why not.
The value of the GT-R is actually holding up pretty well too.

I have driven alot of high end cars, and the GT-R is just unreal.

its so hard to explain..its easy enough to drive everyday, but once you hit the throttle it becomes a beast.. Its actually milder than a E92 M3 when you're not pushing it...but once you push it becomes like a GT2 RS ..but controllable. You won't be complaining how big and heavy it is because the suspension makes it seem lighter than it is(hard to explain too).

*internet forum lurker*

dude, who are you trying to convince here?

People who will be interested on getting a GT-R will do their own research.

Go post as much links as you want, your creditability is still zero.

oh snap I better tell all the people that I know that has GT-R that they would need to pay up the rear for service, because some dude who doesn't own one has the power of the interweb said so....

Look at how much Nissan charges for maintanence at 10k miles. And it's mandatory. The mandatory maintanence is crazy high.

You make a false statement, thinking that you know it all.
I give you my experience, then all of sudden you back pedal and say its expensive when its out of warranty. So what car is out of warranty when its 10k miles?

seem like you don't really even know what your talking about.

Like i said some dealership charge more than other, I ain't getting any hook up.
one dealership wanted to charge me 200 something bucks for an oil change, while another does it for less than 100 bucks.

but yeah..just keep convincing yourself...cause you sure ain't convincing me, with your ZERO credibility.

Enron

Banned

That thread is making my head hurt. I can't believe I'm being lectured to about cars by someone who doesn't know the difference between a coupe and a sedan. I'm done posting in it.

ascii42

That thread is funny. I love it when non car people try to convince gearheads that electric/hybrid is the way to go lol. I'll gladly take an EV/hybrid if it was rear wheel drive and had a 6 speed box... otherwise I'll stick to a gasoline/diesel engine and the classic stick shift.
You aren't going to see manuals in EVs, at least no in traditional sense. They don't need more than one gear. People who haven't driven one don't realize how awesome instant torque is.

As far as I know, the Honda CRZ is the only hybrid with a manual.

The biggest Chevy Volt fan ever trades in his Volt for a Ford C-Max Energi because he needs more space. Ouch.

http://Jalopnik.com/5950322/founder-of-popular-chevy-volt-website-trades-his-volt-for-a-ford

I remember the GM-Volt.com site. As I recall, the guy also had a Mini-E. Seems like he was a fan of electric cars in general. Still funny though,

coldfoot

Banned
You aren't going to see manuals in EVs, at least no in traditional sense. They don't need more than one gear. People who haven't driven one don't realize how awesome instant torque is.
There are no EV's that go over 120-130 mph. If a high performance car maker like Ferrari or Lamborghini made an EV, they'd need a 2-speed transmission. Like in Out Run arcade game.

ascii42

There are no EV's that go over 120-130 mph. If someone like Ferrari or Lamborghini made an EV, they'd need a 2-speed transmission. Like in Out Run arcade game.

That's a good point. You're right. You reminded me of something, so I looked it up. The Tesla Roadster was originally designed with a two-speed transmission in mind.

N-Bomb

New topic:

If the government really wanted to eliminate speeding, fines would be 5x as severe, or they'd legislate power limits for cars. They like the cash, and the occasional accident is worth the revenue.

As far as I know, the Honda CRZ is the only hybrid with a manual.

Yeah, sadly the only EV I've driven is the Mitsubishi I-miev or whatever it was. It was nice but it'd obviously not a Tesla. And yep, I wish somebody would take the system from the CRZ and put it somewhere else. I get bored and start falling asleep while driving automatics these days.

like any used car, just as along as its well maintain, why not.
The value of the GT-R is actually holding up pretty well too.

I have driven alot of high end cars, and the GT-R is just unreal.

its so hard to explain..its easy enough to drive everyday, but once you hit the throttle it becomes a beast.. Its actually milder than a E92 M3 when you're not pushing it...but once you push it becomes like a GT2 RS ..but controllable. You won't be complaining how big and heavy it is because the suspension makes it seem lighter than it is(hard to explain too).

True. We'll see how it plays out then, but it'd be fncking awesome to have a GT-R.

New topic:

If the government really wanted to eliminate speeding, fines would be 5x as severe, or they'd legislate power limits for cars. They like the cash, and the occasional accident is worth the revenue.

I agree but at the same time I think it's more about public safety. Just imagine your rich but average Joe driving his Tesla Model S smoking a BMW M5 and suddenly lose control because he doesn't know what he's doing. He'd probably kill himself, the M5 driver and other people on the road for going that fast.

Simply put, most people aren't trained to drive fast unlike most of us in this thread. I certainly have no qualms driving my Miata on the road at 100mph since I know I can handle it thanks to my experience driving at that speed on a track. But that doesn't mean I'll actually do it on the road since there's tons of variables out there that could change everything. Just take a look at the Autobahn, no one on it actually drives their cars to the absolute limit unless their stupid enough to do it or they know they can handle it.

New topic:

This is really exemplified by red light cameras. There are numerous instances of cities installing them at dangerous intersections, seeing a decrease in serious accidents, then seeing a drop in revenue generated by the cameras once people learn to stop at those intersections.

So what do they do? They stop using the lights because they aren't generating revenue. Revenue > Public Safety.

There are much more efficient and safe ways to control speed limits but no municipalities are interested in looking into them because they don't generate the same revenues. There's a traffic engineer on something awful who has a long-standing thread about... being a traffic engineer. He's said several times that they will set speed limits for safe, efficient traffic only to see cities cut them by 10 or 15 mph because $$$. Frankly, it's disgusting.

Personally I'd like to see a system where there is an absolute maximum limit on highways that is set at the 80th percentile for speeds driven (where 80% of people naturally drive under that limit, it's considered the safest limit, I believe, but most places have it at the 40th-50th percentile). Anyone caught going over that limit would be hammered by fines; just absolutely fucking wrecked. That would allow for a distribution of speeds driven, which is safe and efficient, but eliminate people going dangerously fast.

Now I'm looking into PENN-DOT to see if I can successfully register an Ariel Atom and drive it on the streets here. VIR isn't too far away. I might have to look at "kit car status" for it. This stupid state and their laws that a car has to have bumpers lol.

WAT?!?!?! I will honestly say that I have never-ever had as much fun driving than when in my Evo on these back mountain/country roads by where I live now, covered in fresh snow, and with a set of good snow tires on it. It's why it's hard for me to get rid of the car actually. Well, that, and outside of it's crap interior despite the leather recaros and momo wheel, it just does everything "right".

They salt the roads here all of the time, I don't want any rust.

That thread is making my head hurt. I can't believe I'm being lectured to about cars by someone who doesn't know the difference between a coupe and a sedan. I'm done posting in it.

I knew the moment I saw that thread that it would turn into a bunch of clueless people screaming "EV EV EV!"

That isn't to say that the Tesla S isn't impressive, but I'm staying the fuck out of there.

This is really exemplified by red light cameras. There are numerous instances of cities installing them at dangerous intersections, seeing a decrease in serious accidents, then seeing a drop in revenue generated by the cameras once people learn to stop at those intersections.

So what do they do? They stop using the lights because they aren't generating revenue. Revenue > Public Safety.

There are much more efficient and safe ways to control speed limits but no municipalities are interested in looking into them because they don't generate the same revenues. There's a traffic engineer on something awful who has a long-standing thread about... being a traffic engineer. He's said several times that they will set speed limits for safe, efficient traffic only to see cities cut them by 10 or 15 mph because $$$. Frankly, it's disgusting.

Personally I'd like to see a system where there is an absolute maximum limit on highways that is set at the 80th percentile for speeds driven (where 80% of people naturally drive under that limit, it's considered the safest limit, I believe, but most places have it at the 40th-50th percentile). Anyone caught going over that limit would be hammered by fines; just absolutely fucking wrecked. That would allow for a distribution of speeds driven, which is safe and efficient, but eliminate people going dangerously fast.

My own personal theory is that any highway with more than two lanes should be split up as follows:

The left-most lane/passing lane/fast lane should have no speed limit at all. This allows for people to actually use it to pass an unsafe driver, a large truck, or whatever, without worrying that some jackass pig is going to book them for going 70 or 80 for a minute. For people comfortable with driving a car quickly, they can stay in this lane for longer trips and go as fast as they please. All other lanes should have a limit of 80 MPH and require a low-end limit of at least 50 MPH.

25, 30, 35, and 40 for most city/town roads usually works pretty well. There's a few roads here that are set to 40 but aren't surrounded by any kind of pedestrian locales of any nature, they just have roads leading into wooded subdivisions.

None of this is scientific or based on data of course. It's just what I've been thinking recently, and I'm sure there are flaws in it. Not to mention that it's 99.9% likely that something like this will never be implemented.

I don't have any experience with either car other than I was pretty interested in test driving a Focus ST before I decided to go with something used.

The best thing to do is to use some search phrases like yr, car name, reliability or common issues. Also search for forums that are specific to each model and see what you can find there. MSN autos may be helpful too but for more recent years you probably won't be able to find much on reliability ratings.

I have not heard anything bad about recent Focus or Mustang V6s so I wouldn't be too worried. I tend to give perceived reliability nods to non turbocharged vehicles.

If he is interested in something just tell him to drive it. Then you can start doing some heavy research.

Yea, he actually sat in a ST today. He hated the small recaro seats! so there you go i guess.

2013-aston-martin-vanquish-photo-478713-s-1280x782.jpg

Aston Martin Vanquish review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-aston-martin-vanquish-first-drive-review

Allow us, then, to amend our opening statement: Maybe England isn’t so much the land that time forgot as it is the land of “good enough.” Driving on the left side of the road, using imperial units—these things are good enough. Why bother with the way other people do things? This philosophy underlies Aston CEO Ulrich Bez’s answer when asked why there’s no redline on the counterclockwise-reading tachometer. He explains that those last few hundred rpm don’t really make a difference, that most drivers aren’t going for a best lap time on a track and don’t need the few extra 10ths of a second provided by redline shifts. His company seems to bank on its customers’ sharing this conviction. For people who want Aston Martins, this one is most definitely good enough.

.___.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom