• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
LOL Road & Track.

Sweet-natured as the engine is, there’s only so much 200 bhp can do. The 6.4-sec. 0–60 performance is a 10th better than the Mazda, but a half-second behind the thundering Ford.

Yes. You heard that right. Road & Track somehow managed to run a Mazdaspeed3 0-60 in 6.5second -- when the car is easily a sub-6 car and then some -- and managed to run a car with a 60HP deficit run quicker.

Bad job, bad effort.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Well, to be fair...they did explain why:

Explanation comes in the relative quality of the horsepower on tap, curb weight and shift quality. Although the Mazda claims the engine is making 280 lb.-ft. at 3000 rpm, the Ford EcoBoost 2.0 is making 270 lb.-ft. 500 rpm earlier. The Ford engine feels stronger down low than the Mazda and relentlessly pulls right until it hits its rev limiter at 6800 rpm. The Mazda engine is strong, but by the time it’s approaching its 6700 rpm redline it’s starting to tail off, and heading beyond to the 7400 rpm rev limiter doesn’t do much good.
Meanwhile, the Mazda is also the heaviest of the group. Coming in at 3253 lb., it’s only 11 lb. heavier than the Focus, but a chunky 191 up on the overachieving VW. That’s like having an NFL defensive back installed as ballast.

The MS3 transmission’s shifter has six close ratios, but it’s slower to shift than the Focus’ or GTI’s boxes. It’s not reluctant, but those microseconds accumulate as the car reaches down toward the end of its speed run; if it weren’t for the extra shift it needs to get to 60, the MS3 would likely be a 5-sec. car as well. That noted, it’s easy to launch and to sustain speed once going.
In addition to outweighing the Ford, the MS3 is a bit more nose heavy and its 225/40R-18 Dunlop SP Sport 2050 tires give up 10 millimeters of tread width to that car (they’re the same size as the GTI’s shoes). That shows up on the slalom test, where the Mazda was behind the Ford by one-half mph, and particularly on the skidpad where the Ford stays almost neutral while the Mazda pushes its nose. In absolute numbers, 0.90g on the skidpad isn’t bad, but the Focus resets the bar.

They definitely agree that it is capable of 5s, but it requires a better gearbox or the speediest possible shifting.

matmanx1

anyhoo, i just learn buy-in price for 911's are pretty attainable. 930 ~ 993 can be had for around 20k. how are they for maintenance costs though? at the intersection of old, german and strung out sports car?

Porsche mechanics make about $130 an hour and parts are mostly of the very expensive variety. Excellence Magazine put out a Porsche Buyer's Guide a couple months back that has fantastic information on what to look out for and how to go about buying a used Porsche. I read it cover to cover more than once and spent more hours than I would like to admit in forums researching before I finally bought my Boxster. Porsche makes incredible cars but if they break realize that it's most likely going to be an expensive fix. The rule of thumb I heard more than once was "if you can't afford to drop 2 grand at any given moment for a repair then don't drive a Porsche". That being said, many of the Porsche models have a really excellent reliability record and if you find a well maintained one with good records then I wouldn't be scared of the purchase.

At the age of 24, I finally got my license on September 7th. I bought a new 2012 Prius (in full) on Saturday. It stayed at the dealership until Wednesday night (had to get some options installed that turned it from a Prius 2 into a Prius 4+ for a lower price than the Prius 4), at which point it was delivered to me at home by the dealership.

Last night (thursday night) at around 10:00, since I'm still not quite used to the feel of the prius on the road, and I'm still nervous about driving, especially in high-traffic conditions (andp robably always will be), I decided to go for a little joy ride. I drove ~22.4 miles in a roughly 4 mile by 6 mile rectangular path, attempting to keep the car in EV-mode as much as possible (that's electric-only mode) to gauge the actual fuel economy.

Toyota's reported non-highway fuel economy for the Prius: 49 MPG
My expeirmental result: 49.6 MPG.

Cool! I'm not at all a Prius fan but it sounds like you got a nice car that should last you a long time and I hope you enjoy it.

What a difference the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are over the POS OEM runflats. Immediate difference. The road noise is much less and the ride is much better. I looked up reviews on those Bridgestone RFs and BMW should be ashamed.

Agreed. My Boxster has Pilot Sport 2's on it and they are the best tire I've ever experienced in terms of grip, comfort and road noise. I've been seriously impressed with them these last couple of weeks and will not put anything else on that car if I can help it.

reilo

Well, to be fair...they did explain why:

They definitely agree that it is capable of 5s, but it requires a better gearbox or the speediest possible shifting.
Everyone knows you shift DISI engines at 5500RPM. You don't wait until the rev limiter. Idiots.

AlphaSnake

What a difference the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are over the POS OEM runflats. Immediate difference. The road noise is much less and the ride is much better. I looked up reviews on those Bridgestone RFs and BMW should be ashamed.

Super Sports on my 370Z here.

Tire is made out of some sort of wizardry adhesive. I'm certain of it.

FStop7

Banned
Anti-camp here, car looks great from the front, but as you move back it's got a horrible ass.

I am also in the camp that really likes the Panamera. Nothing else looks like it and I don't think it is ugly at all.

I don't get the hate either. It looks exactly like they stretched a 911 back and made it a wagon. It certainly doesn't blow me away, but calling the Panamera ugly must mean that things like this abomination are straight up on par with Lovecraftian horror:
2005_lexus_is_300_sportcross-pic-54905.jpeg

Watevaman

Equating an IS300 to a Panamera isn't right. I honestly didn't think there were people out there that actually thought the Panamera looked good but I guess I was wrong.

J-Rzez

Yea I zoomed in he lost complete control.

being a jackass just because of his overrated GTR.

You had me until the "overrated" part. Which cars out there for the same value match the GT-R's capabilities again? Outside of an Ariel Atom, I think you'd be hard pressed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Equating an IS300 to a Panamera isn't right. I honestly didn't think there were people out there that actually thought the Panamera looked good but I guess I was wrong.
I've met one and it's horrifying. Generally they're Porsche nuts though.

ascii42

You had me until the "overrated" part. Which cars out there for the same value match the GT-R's capabilities again? Outside of an Ariel Atom, I think you'd be hard pressed.

Besides the more powerful Corvettes (which are a completely different animal), there's really nothing.

Anti-camp here, car looks great from the front, but as you move back it's got a horrible ass.

Indeed:
porsche-panamera.jpg

But I've never been a fan of just about any Porsche design. Doesn't matter anyway. The Panamera makes up for it with its performance and interior.

reilo

I said god damn. A time like that in a 'vanilla' 911 (as in not a GT3, GT2 or turbo) is phenomenal. That said he was way out on the edge of the car's limits and he obviously knows every inch of pavement of the track.

Yeah, and it's faster than the following:

C6 ZR1, SLR McLaren, Ford GT, Audi R8 V10

And just behind the likes of the GT-R, their outgoing 911 Turbo and Ferrari 458 Italia.

It's also cheaper than all of them, and costs the same as the GT-R. It's also just a 400HP NA 6-banger.

Impressive!

ascii42

And just behind the likes of the GT-R, their outgoing 911 Turbo and Ferrari 458 Italia.

It's also cheaper than all of them, and costs the same as the GT-R. It's also just a 400HP NA 6-banger.

Impressive!

The wiki page also lists the C6 Z06 with Z07 package at 7:22.68 and the ZR1 at 7:19.63, both on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. The ZR1 did 7:26.4 on stock tires.

Zyzyxxz

But I've never been a fan of just about any Porsche design. Doesn't matter anyway. The Panamera makes up for it with its performance and interior.

I suppose there are two train of thoughts when it comes to interior/exterior of cars.

You will spend most of your time inside the car so how it drives and looks inside should matter more or do you feel that knowing how it looks outside affects your driving experience?

I can understand why Porsche went with their design from a comfort standpoint they didn't want that cramped coupe-sedan situation that you get with the Mercedes CLS or Audi A7 but damn if those cars don't look so much better though.

Still I am not a fan of most "shooting brake" designs though I don't think the Panamera is technically one, it looks like one to me.

So I bought an '83 944 over the weekend to prep for spec racing. Engine and transmission felt pretty healthy, body had some light rust at the quarterpanels (Ohio, what can you do) but otherwise looked straight.

I got it home and started cleaning it out, but stepped on the floor pan behind the driver's seat and noticed something odd... The floor pan is buckled up slightly and I missed it when I was underneath the car. Fuck. Can't take it to a shop any time soon since I'm on business through December and only home on weekends every three or four weeks.

For the life of me I can't figure out how it happened, either. Here's to hoping it's minor and a NASA authorized safety tech will okay it or it's something that's fixable without breaking the bank.

That said, I bought it for $1800 and the engine is probably worth about $1000, so it's not a complete loss if it can't be raced.

Ash_69

Agreed. My Boxster has Pilot Sport 2's on it and they are the best tire I've ever experienced in terms of grip, comfort and road noise. I've been seriously impressed with them these last couple of weeks and will not put anything else on that car if I can help it.

I tried to get these fitted to my 350z but Nissan refused to do it as they were not the correct speed rating. :(

For now, I need to put up with the bone shaking ride of the POS Bridgestones until they acknowledge that Super Sports are a viable alternative.

MisterNoisy

I tried to get these fitted to my 350z but Nissan refused to do it as they were not the correct speed rating. :(

For now, I need to put up with the bone shaking ride of the POS Bridgestones until they acknowledge that Super Sports are a viable alternative.

They're fucking with you - the PS2 is rated to over 186MPH.

coldfoot

Banned
The Panamera makes up for it with its performance and interior.
I wouldn't date an ugly girl no matter how great her personality was, and I apply the same principle to cars. I would not drive a Panamera even if I got one for free, I'd sell it ASAP.
The actual shooting brake version of the Panamera (Sports Tourer) looks way better anyway. I'd drive one of those.

coldfoot

Banned
It's the same with the BMW 3-series. I'm not in love with that design either, but it's nothing that would dissuade me from wanting to own the car. I spend much more time looking at the interior anyway.
Even if you don't think one looks better than the other, there's still the fact that BMW still knows how to put big windows and a low-ish beltline to their cars while still meeting crash safety standards whereas GM does not. I think the 3 looks better, but even if I liked both the ATS and the 3's styling the same, I'd go for the 3 because of the better visibility. Gun-slit windows suck.

Even if you don't think one looks better than the other, there's still the fact that BMW still knows how to put big windows and a low-ish beltline to their cars while still meeting crash safety standards whereas GM does not. I think the 3 looks better, but even if I liked both the ATS and the 3's styling the same, I'd go for the 3 because of the better visibility. Gun-slit windows suck.

Well, I can tell you from my personal experience I can see jack shit outta my F30... I love it haha

Ash_69

They're fucking with you - the PS2 is rated to over 186MPH.

Could sound like a dumb question but are PS2's still made as it may have been PS3's that they had an issue with.

Regardless, this whole tyre choosing marlarky is driving me bonkers. I have spent FAR too much time on tyrereviews.com.

cajunator

Banned
I believe he was talking about the company ATS, which made the 2500 GT:
800px-ATS_2500-GT_Front-view.JPG

I like most of the design of the Cadillac ATS, but there are certain things that bug me. The rear end in particular is strange to me. The taillights are fine to me though, that's a Cadillac trademark. I like how they evolved the grille, but the surround is too think. I also think the proportions of the CTS work better with Cadillac's design language. I'm interested in seeing how the next generation CTS turns out.

2013-cadillac-ats-026.jpg

It's the same with the BMW 3-series. I'm not in love with that design either, but it's nothing that would dissuade me from wanting to own the car. I spend much more time looking at the interior anyway.

Yup.
ATS is making a successor with modern design. Could be so badass.

ascii42

That's a good point. Visibility in the ATS certainly wasn't great. Hence the rear view camera and blind spot sensors and such.

matmanx1

I don't think you can go wrong with any Pilot Sport model, really. As long as the size is correct then you are going to get a great tire. I've run Kuhmo's, Continental's, Bridgestone's, Sumitomo's, etc. on our cars for years but these Pilot Sports are hands down the best tire I've ever experienced. The grip like mad but also ride well and are among the quieter performance tires that I've tried. It's a winning combination.

ascii42

I suppose there are two train of thoughts when it comes to interior/exterior of cars.

You will spend most of your time inside the car so how it drives and looks inside should matter more or do you feel that knowing how it looks outside affects your driving experience?

I can understand why Porsche went with their design from a comfort standpoint they didn't want that cramped coupe-sedan situation that you get with the Mercedes CLS or Audi A7 but damn if those cars don't look so much better though.

Still I am not a fan of most "shooting brake" designs though I don't think the Panamera is technically one, it looks like one to me.

I'd say in some cases I "learn to love" an exterior if I like the rest of the car that much.

I used to have a Caddy just like this one. A lot of people think these old rectangles are ugly, but I just love it, because I loved the car so much.

coldfoot

Banned
I'd say in some cases I "learn to love" an exterior if I like the rest of the car that much.

I used to have a Caddy just like this one. A lot of people think these old rectangles are ugly, but I just love it, because I loved the car so much.

That Caddy looks better than a Panamera. It's at least coherent.

AlphaSnake

You got lied to. Nissan dealers are assholes - they want you to buy the overpriced shit Bridgestones because they have them in stock.

Viperbah

Impressive!

A stock GTR is not faster than a ZR1, your talking a 125mph car vs a 130mph car, its really not even close. A ford GT is a drivers race.

When I (08 viper) race my friends stock 13' GTR I pull it pretty easily from 50mph on. The 13 Gt500 that was with us does the same thing.

TylerD

I haven't had much exposure to performance tires in a long time but the Continental Extreme Contact DWS that are on my car seem to be damn good (for all weather). The previous owner didn't know how many miles were on them but when I ran the Carfax before I bought it I found out that they only had 9000 miles on them. The dealer installed them right before they put the car up for sale.

They don't have an excessive amount of road noise and they aren't very harsh. The owner was running 32lbs f/r and I corrected that to the BMW rec'd 32 F / 38 R the morning after I picked it up before hitting the twisties. They didn't complain much with some pretty hard cornering but I haven't had a chance to really push them yet.

I plan on doing an autocross later this month and am interested to see how they really perform but I have been very pleased with their wet/dry performance and comfort so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom