• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

Really? I thought the V8 would still be available...in fact didn't you tell me that on this thread a few pages ago?
If not, then you've made a great purchase...NA V8's are usually glorious.

On an unrelated note, the ATS challenges the 328i and loses, despite having a better suspension. It has shit for a powertrain, and also comes up short in interior refinement, ergonomics, and space.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2013-bmw-328i-vs-2013-cadillac-ats-comparison-test

Still kudos to GM. Now use the ATS chassis in another car that's not ugly with small windows, put a LS-series engine in it, and I'll buy that car.

The ATS's platform will be used for the next CTS and Camaro. LS engines are certain for both, but small windows are likely as well. The only other thing I can think of for the platform is if Buick makes a new Riviera.

I thought the interior design was great, but that's just personal taste. I agree that CUE isn't perfect, but complaining that the radar detector cord cause problems seems a little weird. The salesman told me that CUE hides icons by default, and has them appear when your hand gets close. Seems like a clever idea, but I can see how it would be confusing if they weren't expecting it. Plus, as they said, it requires a lot of focus on the the screen. The only thing I really had trouble with was volume control, but it seemed to work better by sliding rather than tapping. If you are driving the car, I think you are better off using steering wheel controls and voice commands (which I never really like) to operate the system.

When I drove the ATS, the 2L Turbo was unavailable. It's unfortunate that the manual isn't good, because I thought the automatic in the 2.5 and the 3.6 is quite good.

I had initially figured that the 2L Turbo with manual would be the way to go, but I'm starting to think I'd go for the 3.6 if I were interested in buying. I really liked that engine in that car. But I agree, an LS would be amazing. The next-gen Camaro could be really great.

coldfoot

Banned
The ATS's platform will be used for the next CTS and Camaro. LS engines are certain for both, but small windows are likely as well. The only other thing I can think of for the platform is if Buick makes a new Riviera.

I had initially figured that the 2L Turbo with manual would be the way to go, but I'm starting to think I'd go for the 3.6 if I were interested in buying. I really liked that engine in that car. But I agree, an LS would be amazing. The next-gen Camaro could be really great.

I wouldn't buy a Camaro or a Cadillac under pretty much any circumstances due to styling. Loved the Pontiac G8 when it was around. If they could make a smaller, Chevy version of the CTS and put the V8 in it, I'm game.

ascii42

I wouldn't buy a Camaro or a Cadillac under pretty much any circumstances due to styling. Loved the Pontiac G8 when it was around. If they could make a smaller, Chevy version of the CTS and put the V8 in it, I'm game.

Well, we don't know what the next Camaro will look like. It'll be going from a large car platform to a compact car platform, so it should be a lot less bulky (For the record, I like the current Camaro a lot, but I completely understand where those who don't are coming from). I'm curious what the upcoming Chevy SS, which is basically a next-gen Pontiac G8, is going to look like. If it looks like a RWD version of the next Impala, I could be quite interested. The new Impala has the same "looks nice, but a little awkward at the same time" issue as the other cars on the platform, the Buick Lacrosse and Cadillac XTS.

2014-chevrolet-impala-016-opt.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
Well, we don't know what the next Camaro will look like. It'll be going from a large car platform to a compact car platform, so it should be a lot less bulky (For the record, I like the current Camaro a lot, but I completely understand where those who don't are coming from). I'm curious what the upcoming Chevy SS, which is basically a next-gen Pontiac G8, is going to look like. If it looks like a RWD version of the next Impala, I could be quite interested. The new Impala has the same "looks nice, but a little awkward at the same time" issue as the other cars on the platform, the Buick Lacrosse and Cadillac XTS.

That Impala is fugly beyond belief after the rear doors...the front is OK.
The Chevy SS will probably be a quite nice, modernized G8, but it doesn't have the goodness of the ATS chassis and it's heavy. It'll still drive good, but not as good as the ATS.

N-Bomb

So I jinxed myself. My Escapes electrical system went crazy this morning and all the systems had error messages and it won't start. Oh and it gave me a nice strobe effect flashing my headlights on and off for a few minutes. It also no longer recognizes my key fobs. So uhh....maybe don't get an Escape. hahaha...... Gonna be a fun day dealing with the Ford dealer for me since they are gonna have to tow it.

Wow, misread the original most as 'Eclipse' and was like 'wtf, he's towing with it?!'

All this by wire shit is why my car had problems. I really don't like the move away from mechanical systems. My Ford fusion had a problem with the throttle body controller. It would die in the middle of traffic and flooring the pedal did nothing until I restarted the car and reset it. Ford replaced it for free but its just another computer/by wire controlled part that can go dangerously wrong, and usually without any kind of mechanical failure at all. My car is otherwise completely fine. Now that the controller has been replaced, the car actually runs better than it did when new. I really hate this stuff because mechanically these cars are excellent and well built and I honestly love my Fusion more than any other midsize car Ive driven, but because of a computer glitch they suddenly have a reputation for being unreliable.

One reason I demanded a cable throttle version of the engine for my swap.

Digital control is fine for things that are too fine, fiddly, or user-uninteractive to be controlled regularly (fuel injection, active diff, ABS) but for things you're always using, (gas/brake/steer) it should be mechanical.

One reason I demanded a cable throttle version of the engine for my swap.

Digital control is fine for things that are too fine, fiddly, or user-uninteractive to be controlled regularly (fuel injection, active diff, ABS) but for things you're always using, (gas/brake/steer) it should be mechanical.

My biggest gripe with electrical control is not the reliability of it but the lack of control it provides. If I want to slap my throttle wide open or shut in the blink of an eye I want to do it, I don't want the computer dragging that over the course of three quarters of a second to improve fuel economy.

Then there's the clutch delay that you have with BMW and Porsche (I'm betting most companies do it now, but those two I know for sure), where throttle response is greatly reduced when the clutch is depressed to lower clutch wear. Great for idiots but horrible, horrible, horrible for heel-toe downshifts.

ascii42

My biggest gripe with electrical control is not the reliability of it but the lack of control it provides. If I want to slap my throttle wide open or shut in the blink of an eye I want to do it, I don't want the computer dragging that over the course of three quarters of a second to improve fuel economy.

Then there's the clutch delay that you have with BMW and Porsche (I'm betting most companies do it now, but those two I know for sure), where throttle response is greatly reduced when the clutch is depressed to lower clutch wear. Great for idiots but horrible, horrible, horrible for heel-toe downshifts.

That's a good point. Electrical throttle control on a car with a manual transmission seems bizarre to me.

Chuckl3s

2014-chevrolet-impala-016-opt.jpg

That Impala is fugly beyond belief after the rear doors...the front is OK.
The Chevy SS will probably be a quite nice, modernized G8, but it doesn't have the goodness of the ATS chassis and it's heavy. It'll still drive good, but not as good as the ATS.

They are already have it in testing...

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/31/chevy-ss-prototype-already-taking-the-checkered-flag/

YLYIy.jpg

I honestly can't wait. I loved the G8. Chevy needs its own though.

TheContact

Shot in the dark here but I'm having an impossible time trying to find out what type of bulbs fit in the Turn Signal Mirror on a 2005 c240 Mercedes. I literally found every other bulb size online except for the turn signal bulbs behind the mirror. Anyone know how I can find out without taking it apart?

coldfoot

Banned
They are already have it in testing...

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/31/chevy-ss-prototype-already-taking-the-checkered-flag/

I honestly can't wait. I loved the G8. Chevy needs its own though.

I know! Finally a GM car with nice BIG windows...That car is identical the G8 from the windshield up.

By the way, this is the new Mazda 3, looks MUCH nicer than the fugly current version, and if it sticks true to Kodo and stays light like the 6, it'll be the best compact out there in terms of driving satisfaction.

2014-Mazda-3-rendering.jpg

Went to the dealerships yesterday, left with a 2011 Fiesta, fully loaded. Low payments and just quick enough to be fun to drive. Thanks for the suggestions again.

Great choice (great color too :D). Ford has been doing a pretty damn good job overall in the last few years. Grats on the car.

I know! Finally a GM car with nice BIG windows...That car is identical the G8 from the windshield up.

By the way, this is the new Mazda 3, looks MUCH nicer than the fugly current version, and if it sticks true to Kodo and stays light like the 6, it'll be the best compact out there in terms of driving satisfaction.

2014-Mazda-3-rendering.jpg

Looking good. Just spruce up the interior a bit and it could easily be the best economy compact car on the market in every area including performance, as you said.

matmanx1

Guess what car does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds?
4-cylinder Accord Sedan with manual transmission!
Ridiculous

Go Honda! It's about time that company started producing some cars with sizzle again. Can you get the V6 with the manual gearbox? That would be a wolf in sheep's clothing indeed. And reading the article you get a ton of standard equipment at the 25k entry price for the Sport model. I might have to go see if I can find one for a test drive. =)

matmanx1

Checking Honda's website the Sport is an available trim level only for the 4 cylinder Sedan and not the Coupe or the V6. You can get the V6 (278hp 3.5 liter) with the manual but then it becomes at 31.5k car as opposed to the 25k of the Sport model.

Perhaps slightly more disappointingly the Sport model is available only in Black or Steel Metallic for exterior colors and only Black for an interior color. It's still alot of car for the price and I still want to try one but it would be nice if Honda had expanded the options list for the Sport model and/or extended it to include the V6 motor.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Zero to 60 mph: 6.6 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.0 sec

Huh?

Normal.

At 5MPH you're starting a launch at say 1200RPM and have to work your way all the way up to redline through the entire powerband. This is a manual transmission, but the same applies to autos too.

At 0, you dump the clutch at 3K RPM and go. Same goes for autos. When you floor it from a stop in an automatic, the torque converter immediately jumps the tach to around 3000RPM so you've launched from a higher RPM.

ascii42

Normal.

At 5MPH you're starting a launch at say 1200RPM and have to work your way all the way up to redline through the entire powerband. This is a manual transmission, but the same applies to autos too.

At 0, you dump the clutch at 3K RPM and go. Same goes for autos. When you floor it from a stop in an automatic, the torque converter immediately jumps the tach to around 3000RPM so you've launched from a higher RPM.
Oh, right, That makes sense.

Totally considering this right now, as a daily driver (125 bhp model)

6oktQ.jpg

The only thing putting me off is maintenance/durability of the suspension as I think they're mostly spherical rose-type joints, which don't last long. All else is pretty simple and straightforward. Oh, also the fact that it might kill me is slightly offputting.

pax217

Shot in the dark here but I'm having an impossible time trying to find out what type of bulbs fit in the Turn Signal Mirror on a 2005 c240 Mercedes. I literally found every other bulb size online except for the turn signal bulbs behind the mirror. Anyone know how I can find out without taking it apart?

If we're thinking of the same car, it isn't a bulb-- it's a strip of LEDs, isn't it?

N-Bomb

Speaking of lighting... thinking of replacing my DRL/fogs with an Audi-style LED strip so I can open up the holes to use as brake ducts/intake. Just need to find something that is bright enough.

matmanx1

Still having the nagging suspicion that I might like something better than my Boxster I am all set to go drive some cars Wednesday. I should have driven these vehicles before I bought the Boxster but this time I'm taking one of my best friends so I can get another opinion as I tend to be easily distracted by fast and shiny.

On my list are the Subaru WRX, VW GTI/Golf R, Volvo C30 T5 R Design and a 2010 BMW 135i. I'm unsure if I just need to drive a few more things to properly appreciate the Boxster or if I'd honestly like something that's a little quieter, especially at Interstate speeds. Either way, Wednesday's drive time should be enlightening.

ascii42

Still having the nagging suspicion that I might like something better than my Boxster I am all set to go drive some cars Wednesday. I should have driven these vehicles before I bought the Boxster but this time I'm taking one of my best friends so I can get another opinion as I tend to be easily distracted by fast and shiny.

On my list are the Subaru WRX, VW GTI/Golf R, Volvo C30 T5 R Design and a 2010 BMW 135i. I'm unsure if I just need to drive a few more things to properly appreciate the Boxster or if I'd honestly like something that's a little quieter, especially at Interstate speeds. Either way, Wednesday's drive time should be enlightening.

I don't know, that could be a bad idea.

FStop7

Banned

I was fortunate enough to be a guest at Jim's home, his shop (twice!) and got to see his collection in person including his P3/4 #0846, his Ford GT40 MkIV (complete with a dent in the door sill from when Bruce McLaren threw down his helmet in frustration), and photos of the P4/5 when it was still 'top secret' and had yet to be unveiled to the world.

The long and short of it is that he is just as nice in person as he comes across in those interviews. It was really a privilege to see that stuff up close.

AlphaSnake

OH LOOK AT MY BEAUTIFUL JAGUAR!

That's not a missing image. There's no fucking car. Dipshitted dealers kept playing games. First told me the car had 350 miles on it and that my BMW trade-in would be $25.3K - works for me.

Today was the day to pick, they call me back and say: the car actually had 1350 and the dealership manager has been driving it for the week, so it's 1500 miles. Fine, as long as it's never been registered the mileage doesn't concern me I still have full warranty beginning from 1500 miles until 51500 basically.

Then they call me back again, wait we offered you too much on your trade in. We can only give you $19K, $20K max. Apologies. Etc.

Fuck you.

Deal off.

somato

I suggest that you drive a Focus ST as well just for kicks since it's often compared to the GTI and WRX.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

That's not a missing image. There's no fucking car. Dipshitted dealers kept playing games. First told me the car had 350 miles on it and that my BMW trade-in would be $25.3K - works for me.

Today was the day to pick, they call me back and say: the car actually had 1350 and the dealership manager has been driving it for the week, so it's 1500 miles. Fine, as long as it's never been registered the mileage doesn't concern me I still have full warranty beginning from 1500 miles until 51500 basically.

Then they call me back again, wait we offered you too much on your trade in. We can only give you $19K, $20K max. Apologies. Etc.

Fuck you.

Deal off.

I saw that on your wall. What horse shit.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, total bullshit.

I'm going to use this as leverage with other dealerships. Tell them I want a car and not looking for BS games.

I'm going to consider other cars, as well.

Ash_69

Damn, that's rough considering how much you were looking forward to it. I would of flipped the fuck out, threw a hissy but ultimately good decision. No point being taken for a mug. Plenty of other great deals available.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone here have a FJ Cruiser? Thinking about buying a used one. I've got a 98 4Runner with almost 300K and it's a beast when it comes to reliability and durability. I'd like to find something just as reliable.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Sorry Alpha lol :(

Anyway...

xWWzc.jpg

Why can't we have those sort of plates over here in the States? Make the fucking switch to those please..

Rad Agast

Fuck you.

Deal off.

Sounds like the manager wanted the car. Good luck next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom