• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

OH LOOK AT MY BEAUTIFUL JAGUAR!

That's not a missing image. There's no fucking car. Dipshitted dealers kept playing games. First told me the car had 350 miles on it and that my BMW trade-in would be $25.3K - works for me.

Today was the day to pick, they call me back and say: the car actually had 1350 and the dealership manager has been driving it for the week, so it's 1500 miles. Fine, as long as it's never been registered the mileage doesn't concern me I still have full warranty beginning from 1500 miles until 51500 basically.

Then they call me back again, wait we offered you too much on your trade in. We can only give you $19K, $20K max. Apologies. Etc.

Fuck you.

Deal off.

That is absolute BS. I can't believe that in this day and age that there are still dealerships out there that pull this kind of crap. I would make sure that they know that you intend to be very vocal about your treatment to anyone who will listen. Maybe (hopefully) it will come back to bite them.

In other news, the same dealership that has the 2010 135i 6MT also has a 2009 335i coupe with a 6MT. The 135i is listed at 27.8k and the 335i is listed at 26.9k and they both have the remainder of their factory warranties on them (they both have around 30k miles). Once I drive the 3 series will I still care about the 1? I'm genuinely curious.

And I'm also not convinced that I need to do anything with my Boxster. It's a hoot even if it is noisier than I like in some situations. My drives tomorrow are so that I will have all my options on the table.

Ovid

OH LOOK AT MY BEAUTIFUL JAGUAR!

That's not a missing image. There's no fucking car. Dipshitted dealers kept playing games. First told me the car had 350 miles on it and that my BMW trade-in would be $25.3K - works for me.

Today was the day to pick, they call me back and say: the car actually had 1350 and the dealership manager has been driving it for the week, so it's 1500 miles. Fine, as long as it's never been registered the mileage doesn't concern me I still have full warranty beginning from 1500 miles until 51500 basically.

Then they call me back again, wait we offered you too much on your trade in. We can only give you $19K, $20K max. Apologies. Etc.

Fuck you.

Deal off.
This happened at a Jaguar dealership? Wow!

That is absolute BS. I can't believe that in this day and age that there are still dealerships out there that pull this kind of crap. I would make sure that they know that you intend to be very vocal about your treatment to anyone who will listen. Maybe (hopefully) it will come back to bite them.

In other news, the same dealership that has the 2010 135i 6MT also has a 2009 335i coupe with a 6MT. The 135i is listed at 27.8k and the 335i is listed at 26.9k and they both have the remainder of their factory warranties on them (they both have around 30k miles). Once I drive the 3 series will I still care about the 1? I'm genuinely curious.

And I'm also not convinced that I need to do anything with my Boxster. It's a hoot even if it is noisier than I like in some situations. My drives tomorrow are so that I will have all my options on the table.

For that price, the only reason to consider the 3 Series is aesthetics and interior space. The 1 Series has great performance, but you pay for it.

Wthermans

Banned
Just bought a new (to me) car!

2010 Toyota Prius with 60000 miles. One owner car that was serviced like clockwork at the same dealership it was bought from. Traded in my 2005 Toyota Tacoma with 126k.

Got 12K for my trade and got the car for 17K OTD. Loving the Prius so far. Should be plenty of room for the little one that my wife and I have on the way. :)

ascii42

2010 Toyota Prius with 60000 miles. One owner car that was serviced like clockwork at the same dealership it was bought from. Traded in my 2005 Toyota Tacoma with 126k.

Got 12K for my trade and got the car for 17K OTD. Loving the Prius so far. Should be plenty of room for the little one that my wife and I have on the way. :)
$12k? I forgot how well Tacomas hold their value.

Wthermans

Banned
$12k? I forgot how well Tacomas hold their value.

I couldn't believe it either. I walked in originally expecting 8-9K (I bought it in 09 for 15.5K). Apparently once they hit 60K, noone ever trades them in yet everyone wants them.

I wouldn't have traded mine if the gas mileage wasn't so bad (16-18MPG, was a V6). It had some defects as well (needed an alignment, dead pedal was broken, center console wouldn't stay closed, outside temperature/compass died shortly after I bought it, AC compressor was on the way out), but I had multiple dealerships bending over backwards to get it.

N-Bomb

This is what happens when you lose an allen key in your dash when installing a new radio. I found it UNDER the carpet against the transmission tunnel there. Yeesh.

9gVFql.jpg

New amp installed! Removed the DRL module to fit it in there behind the lower dash.
86PSjl.jpg

Work continues! Hope to finally have the splitter done by this weekend - just need to cut a little bit of overhang off the new parts and then paint it up black again.

Thus far:
gc87ol.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
No dealership's antics surprise me anymore in NYC. Luxury or not.

They're all the same.

Sailor

Hey GAF, what's the fastest car I can get for $16k and under? Looking for a car that's a blast to drive and something that will pull me back in my seat when flooring it. I currently own a 2004 Mustang GT that will hopefully be sold soon.

I was thinking of a 350z or G35 coupe. Any thoughts? Also, I have already considered a E46 M3, but I don't want to risk damaging it and then paying through the nose for repairs, so please no German recommendations.

Hey GAF, what's the fastest car I can get for $16k and under? Looking for a car that's a blast to drive and something that will pull me back in my seat when flooring it. I currently own a 2004 Mustang GT that will hopefully be sold soon.

I was thinking of a 350z or G35 coupe. Any thoughts? Also, I have already considered a E46 M3, but I don't want to risk damaging it and then paying through the nose for repairs, so please no German recommendations.

list of some older and newer cars:
C5 Vette
FD RX7
MR2 Turbo
350Z
S2000 (not really neck snapping, but high revving)
Firebird WS6
Camaro SS
STI
EVO
300ZX Turbo
SVT Cobra

Peterthumpa

Well, posted this on a separate thread but I guess it fits here. Just bought this new compact SUV, developed in Brazil but born to be a global model. It's the 2nd generation of this car here, and it seems pretty much in line with the new Kinetic lines from Ford, which also are on the New Fiesta facelift and on the New Fusion. It's smaller than the Escape, and actually is based on the New Fiesta platform, so not exactly a full fledged SUV.

Anyway, I really like it!

P1000466.JPG

P1000521.JPG

EcoSport+Titanium+01.jpg

EcoSport+Cluster+Titanium.JPG

matmanx1

Well, posted this on a separate thread but I guess it fits here. Just bought this new compact SUV, developed in Brazil but born to be a global model. It's the 2nd generation of this car here, and it seems pretty much in line with the new Kinetic lines from Ford, which also are on the New Fiesta facelift and on the New Fusion. It's smaller than the Escape, and actually is based on the New Fiesta platform, so not exactly a full fledged SUV.

P1000466.JPG

P1000521.JPG

EcoSport+Titanium+01.jpg

It looks like a Focus on steroids! Glad you like it. That's a tough looking automobile and I hope it serves you well.

coldfoot

Banned

C6 prices should drop a bit when the C7 is released I think, if you're looking for absolute best straight line speed while still being decent in the corners.
If not, my choice would be the Evo, you're not going to get a better handling car that's still quite fast in a straight line for that price.

ascii42

C6 prices should drop a bit when the C7 is released I think, if you're looking for absolute best straight line speed while still being decent in the corners.
If not, my choice would be the Evo, you're not going to get a better handling car that's still quite fast in a straight line for that price.

C6 prices will drop, but not that far. Right now in that price range, he'd be looking at a 2000-ish C5.

coldfoot

Banned
C6 prices will drop, but not that far. Right now in that price range, he'd be looking at a 2000-ish C5.
C5 is a 1997 design and no matter how fast it is, I think it's too old to spend 16K on, that's why I'd rather suggest the Evo. It's got pop-up lights for crying out loud!
Of course it'll be easier to find a clean C5 from an old guy who never drove it hard compared to an Evo. I'd assume most are riced out and abused or wrecked. I'm also sure that Evo-specific mechanical parts would give the germans a run for high prices.

Viperbah

Well a 350z/G35 won't be much faster than your 2004 GT.

I second a C5, yes the interior is outdated even for 1997, but you don't buy a sports car for it's interior.

The exterior looks still hold up, I think they look better than the base c6s

c5_zpsfdecea62.jpg

Also, give an S2000 a shot...probably the best all around sports car in that price bracket.

My vote is for the Evo. I have a friend with a EVO X and it's a blast to drive at the track. Smooth power delivery and great handling (though he has done quite a bit of suspension work).

There's plenty of mods available, and plenty of information available online...

Viperbah

Thought of another one....LS2 GTO.

Don't know much about the EVO, I know they have decent mod potential but are they faster than a 2004 gt out of the box?

Sailor

Don't know much about the EVO, I know they have decent mod potential but are they faster than a 2004 gt out of the box?

This is what I'm wondering about. I looked up the C5 on craigslist and it seems I can't find one cheaper than $24k, unless you guys were talking about the standard C5 Vette; I was searching up Z06's. Also, does anyone that owns/has drive a S2k have any personal opinions? Does it throw you back in your seat?

Thanks for all the help.

cajunator

Banned
Went to the dealerships yesterday, left with a 2011 Fiesta, fully loaded. Low payments and just quick enough to be fun to drive. Thanks for the suggestions again.

Congrats.
However like my Fusion, I think you should make sure there isnt a problem with the throttle body on your fiesta as it has been a common problem with Fords. If you end up getting any hesitation /jerkiness get it checked immediately.
That said, the dealership lent me a Fiesta for a day with Ecoboost and that little sucker was FUN.

coldfoot

Banned

They should be faster than a 04 GT, as they have more HP, and lighter, and have AWD launch advantage. I don't know if you can find a decent Evo for less than 16K though, they did not sell many of those. The real advantage of the Evo is the confidence it instills in its driver with its handling and AWD grip. I guarantee that you'll be driving it faster than your GT.

I owned a LS2 GTO and they're really nice, much nicer interior and seats than a C5 vette :). Of course the extra weight hinders performance compared to a vette, but it should still beat the 04 GT and give you nice low end torque and a V8 soundtrack if that's what you want. I also got 27 mpg on the highway with it easily, with the manual transmission of course.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

C6s aren't going to be in that range for like 5 years unless they're salvaged or something

matmanx1

Congrats.
However like my Fusion, I think you should make sure there isnt a problem with the throttle body on your fiesta as it has been a common problem with Fords. If you end up getting any hesitation /jerkiness get it checked immediately.
That said, the dealership lent me a Fiesta for a day with Ecoboost and that little sucker was FUN.

Funny you say that as my in laws had to have the throttle body on their Fusion replaced recently. Under warranty, thankfully, but still, something to look out for.

I had my test drives today and had alot of fun with my friend who rode along with me.

The WRX was first thing this morning and outside of the shifter and transmission feel I liked the car. The interior is cheaper looking but still functional and the steering wheel had that great chunky feel that you want in a performance car. The WRX also soaked up bumps and potholes better than I was expecting it to considering it's handling prowess. The vague short throw shifter just killed the experience for me, unfortunately. It felt very imprecise and cheap and is the reason that I would not purchase that car. Punchy little motor though, I did enjoy that.

After that it was down to the VW dealership and a test drive in a CPO 2012 GTI. The GTI was probably the car that impressed me the most today. It does pretty much everything right. It's quick and punchy yet quiet and refined at the same time. And I have to say I liked the interior on the GTI as well or better than the interior on the BMW 1 series. I think it's more interesting and "homey" over the 1 series rather austere look. And the shifter was so much better than the WRX. It wasn't Porsche good but for the difference in price it was close. Based on my experience today I can see why the GTI is so popular.

Next was the Volvo dealership and the C30. They did not have a manual transmission car on the lot so my test drive was pretty boring. The C30 looks great (imo) and is built like a vault but felt slow and stodgy compared to the first 2 cars I tried. I would still like to try one with the 6 speed manual and the Polestar performance flash (factory ecu flash giving you 250hp and 270 lb ft of torque) as I bet that one would much more fun to drive. Still, it is a Volvo and it had great seats and a very refined and quiet ride. My wife would have most likely loved it.

Last was the 2010 135i. What a rocket. Hands down it's the quickest car I've driven and is bordering on scary fast. And it gets fast without alot of drama. When I mash the accelerator on my Porsche you hear the flat 6 howl and everyone knows you are getting on it. The BMW makes very little noise in comparison and all of a sudden you're doing 70 mph through a residential section of town. The one I drove looked like it had been through a very hard 29k miles though as paint was flaking off of the door handle area, there was a trim piece on the driver side door coming off and there were several road dings and paint scuffs along the front and lower body. It was a great driving car and still under BMW warranty but the condition of the car is not up to my standard.

Anyway, I had a fun and informative time with the test drives and the cars I drove caused me to appreciate my Porsche even more. Nothing I tried had a shifter that was as good as the unit in the Porsche and although the BMW and GTI came close in terms of road feel and fun to drive neither surpassed the Porsche in that department either. I may still decide to test the market with my Boxster at some point but for now I'm sticking with what I have and will enjoy doing so.

Also, does anyone that owns/has drive a S2k have any personal opinions? Does it throw you back in your seat?

Thanks for all the help.

I have an S2k (AP1 with the 9k redline). It's not neck snapping, but the cam changeover at mid-range is really addicting. The high revving/low torque characteristics requires a different style of driving to truly enjoy it to it's full potential, rather than just mashing down a torque monster and torque-steering. It's a well balanced car, nimble, easy to maintain, one of my favorite transmissions ever, and addicting. Finding a well maintained/clean one is the hard part.

er...you probably don't want an fd rx7 unless you love wrenching.
I say that as a fan.

Also, I've heard the s2k snap-oversteers when hard cornering.

agree on the FD RX7. It's a ticking time bomb, but oh so goddamn beautiful and unique.

S2000's snap oversteer on people who throttle lift and/or rear bump steer. A good knowledgable driver can adjust to this.

Wthermans

Banned

Here's an album with some pics. Getting ~55 MPG after 100 miles of driving (mostly city). Haven't even gone down from a full tank yet. This is great!

Luigiv

P1000466.JPG

P1000521.JPG

EcoSport+Titanium+01.jpg

So ugly!

Halvie

Banned
And the shifter was so much better than the WRX. It wasn't Porsche good but for the difference in price it was close. Based on my experience today I can see why the GTI is so popular.

What? Drove a friends stock R the other week and was shocked as how shitty the stock shifter and clutch felt. Horrible.

aznpxdd

Bought a new steering wheel for my X1 when I went back to the States for vacation. My X1 20i came with some stock shittastic steering wheels, so this will be a nice upgrade both visually and functionally (paddles!)

iblFCVrkKo4fTh.jpg

Wrapped some parts of it in CF vinyl myself, and also switched out the badge. Looks pretty nice I'd say!

Viperbah

This is what I'm wondering about. I looked up the C5 on craigslist and it seems I can't find one cheaper than $24k, unless you guys were talking about the standard C5 Vette; I was searching up Z06's. Also, does anyone that owns/has drive a S2k have any personal opinions? Does it throw you back in your seat?

Thanks for all the help.

We were talking about base C5's. A C5 Z05 is a different animal, and I don't think your going to find one worth buying at what your looking to spend.

I owned a LS2 GTO and they're really nice, much nicer interior and seats than a C5 vette :). Of course the extra weight hinders performance compared to a vette, but it should still beat the 04 GT and give you nice low end torque and a V8 soundtrack if that's what you want. I also got 27 mpg on the highway with it easily, with the manual transmission of course.

Nice, I had ls1 gto a while back. Yeah 400 HP will do that, the LS2 GTO will decimate an 04 GT, hell it's probably faster than a C5 in a straight line.

Sailor, if you want pure speed I would look into LS2 GTO's...you can find nice ones for 16k. Also, check out ls1tech.com, a ton of info on C5s, GTOs etc.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

P1000466.JPG

P1000521.JPG

EcoSport+Titanium+01.jpg

Congrats on the purchase. My wife saw pics of that car yesterday and became addicted. Looking forward to see it in person.

coldfoot

Banned
Nice, I had ls1 gto a while back. Yeah 400 HP will do that, the LS2 GTO will decimate an 04 GT, hell it's probably faster than a C5 in a straight line.
While they're fast, they're not that fast LOL. It has about 500-600 lbs on top of a C5, 50-60 extra HP isn't going to overcome that. Plus you can't put wide rear tires on them without modifying the bodywork so they're not that great at launching either.

Halvie

Banned
I haven't driven an R. Does it use the same unit or is it an upgraded unit to handle the extra engine power?

Same, but it seems some have the s3 front to back shifter or at least the one I drove did. Didn't get the complaints about vw/audi shifters when I first got my car. Understood them after driving a stock setup again :D

Smokey

Saw a brand new m5 in the flesh yesterday for the first time. Black with black BMW rims.. Mmm. Looked boss. Still haven't seen the new m6 in the wild tho.

N-Bomb

agree on the FD RX7. It's a ticking time bomb, but oh so goddamn beautiful and unique.

As a former owner - it really isn't unless you mod it with no thought to its limitations. There are a couple of common reliability mods as well (replacing the shitty stock plastic air-separation tank is one), but that's all you really need to have a reliable FD.

Also boo to BMWs. They're so common now.

Evos are maintenance pigs, just as much as any German Car.

Also stupid plastic bits love to break.

You won't touch a nice Evo for less than 20k.

S2000's snap oversteer on people who throttle lift and/or rear bump steer. A good knowledgable driver can adjust to this.

I drove an S2000 at an autocross for the first time, and while it's a great car, the amount of oversteer was astonishing. Veeeeery sensitive to throttle input so it took a while to adjust (and seeing as how I had been driving a FWD car with LSD all day having to be gentle on the throttle was a big change).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom