• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
As a former owner - it really isn't unless you mod it with no thought to its limitations. There are a couple of common reliability mods as well (replacing the shitty stock plastic air-separation tank is one), but that's all you really need to have a reliable FD.

Also boo to BMWs. They're so common now.

On the average, any 15-20 year old car is less reliable than a 5-10 year old car. I wouldn't spend 16K on anything pre-2000 as a daily driver. Classic car collecting is for people who have tons of money and time.

Good news!! Dealer called me and told me that BRZ came in way earlier. Wednesday is when I go pick it up!

Bad news: I was expecting end of December and was saving downpayment accordingly.

I suppose $5,000 is enough for downpayment for BRZ, correct? Gotta tell them tomorrow about it.

Ugh! So excited yet so nervous! Bank better approve me! Canada btw (Booked: August).

paskowitz

Good news!! Dealer called me and told me that BRZ came in way earlier. Wednesday is when I go pick it up!

Bad news: I was expecting end of December and was saving downpayment accordingly.

I suppose $5,000 is enough for downpayment for BRZ, correct? Gotta tell them tomorrow about it.

Ugh! So excited yet so nervous! Bank better approve me! Canada btw (Booked: August).

Enjoy it. It is a great car.

Pakman

Nice. What color did you get it in? Can't beat the blue in my opinion. I considered putting an order in for one but I decided to wait and see if that STi version surfaces.... Well that and I'm also interested in seeing how the 2015 mustang turns out.

Skunkers

Hey GAF, what's the fastest car I can get for $16k and under? Looking for a car that's a blast to drive and something that will pull me back in my seat when flooring it. I currently own a 2004 Mustang GT that will hopefully be sold soon.

Have to second the LS2 GTO.

If all you care about is straight line acceleration, the GTO/C5/Camaro SS/Trans Am are your best bets. And the LS motor in all of them respond very well to mods, which is significant, since they are all pretty much starting with 350hp (or 400hp in the LS2s case). The GTO's interior blows the others away, but as stated they don't launch great or fit much wider tires. The C5 should be just as fast as the goat (and get better gains from mods since its the lightest), obviously handles much better too, but has a crap interior for what it is. The Camaro and Trans Ams will probably be the most affordable and tuner friendly. They have the worst interior, but have the most to gain through mods. All these cars will about break 12s stock and get scary fast in a hurry with some tuning.

I personally prefer imports for balance, and penchant for more direct driver feedback. But if you just want to be pushed back in the seat at that price range LS engine cars can't be beat.

Rad Agast

Congrats. Which colour did you get? and is it a premium or limited model?

I'm enjoying mine.

Nice. What color did you get it in? Can't beat the blue in my opinion. I considered putting an order in for one but I decided to wait and see if that STi version surfaces.... Well that and I'm also interested in seeing how the 2015 mustang turns out.

I'm guessing you mean the WR Blue yeah? They have Galaxy Blue too (which I don't like as much). STI version will be out next year. I'll most likely pick one up then and turn my current one into a project car (or the other way around depending on what actually comes in the STI).

Congrats. Which colour did you get? and is it a premium or limited model?

I got White. Limited. I love both white and blue. Wish I could have both! I was debating whether I should change the color to blue and I was going to make that phone call yesterday but I guess white was meant to be as it arrived WAY to early (they quoted me late December and early January).

Dead Man

Well, posted this on a separate thread but I guess it fits here. Just bought this new compact SUV, developed in Brazil but born to be a global model. It's the 2nd generation of this car here, and it seems pretty much in line with the new Kinetic lines from Ford, which also are on the New Fiesta facelift and on the New Fusion. It's smaller than the Escape, and actually is based on the New Fiesta platform, so not exactly a full fledged SUV.

Anyway, I really like it!

P1000466.JPG

P1000521.JPG

EcoSport+Titanium+01.jpg

EcoSport+Cluster+Titanium.JPG

I love Fords current design language, congrats on the pickup.

dankir

210607_10152106005280451_107191275_o.jpg

Have had my baby for over a month now. Averaging about 6.1/6.2 liters per 100 KM that's 37 / 38 MPG.

I love my Optima Hybrid Premium and its fully loaded, best car ever :D

0 dollars down
0 interest for 7 years
Gov't tax credit
free winter tires and rims
Free tints
Warranty for 160k km or 10 years
Car is covered inside and out, paint, windows, interior
$498 a month tax in :D

J-Rzez

I thought someone confirmed that a Turbo version of the BRZ was coming out now? It was inevitable with all the comments about the power of the car. It's supposed to have a Turbo FA20 in it, like their legacy in JP. Not the same motor that's supposed to go into the next WRX which I'm eagerly waiting to see at the next NYIAS.

Don't know much about the EVO, I know they have decent mod potential but are they faster than a 2004 gt out of the box?

It'll mercilessly stomp that year GT into the ground in a straight, and at least double that in the corners. Simply bolt-ons and a flash will shock you with how much power they pick up from that.

I thought someone confirmed that a Turbo version of the BRZ was coming out now? It was inevitable with all the comments about the power of the car. It's supposed to have a Turbo FA20 in it, like their legacy in JP. Not the same motor that's supposed to go into the next WRX which I'm eagerly waiting to see at the next NYIAS.

It'll mercilessly stomp that year GT into the ground in a straight, and at least double that in the corners. Simply bolt-ons and a flash will shock you with how much power they pick up from that.

What bolt-ons do you recommend?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alright guys, looks like my wife and I are moving to France early next year and we're selling our cars here in the States.

Time for car shopping.

Anyone familiar with the car buying experience in France? We're looking to buy two cars (one economy car and one luxury car). I already have cars in mind, but I know nothing about the process of actually buying one.

I'm also curious if there are any cars I should consider looking at that aren't available in North America. Might be a chance to try something new.

Ovid

Rad Agast

Alright guys, looks like my wife and I are moving to France early next year and we're selling our cars here in the States.

Time for car shopping.

Anyone familiar with the car buying experience in France? We're looking to buy two cars (one economy car and one luxury car). I already have cars in mind, but I know nothing about the process of actually buying one.

I'm also curious if there are any cars I should consider looking at that aren't available in North America. Might be a chance to try something new.

I've heard a lot about how unreliable they are but if I was in Europe I would get an Alfa.

Ovid

210607_10152106005280451_107191275_o.jpg

Have had my baby for over a month now. Averaging about 6.1/6.2 liters per 100 KM that's 37 / 38 MPG.

I love my Optima Hybrid Premium and its fully loaded, best car ever :D

0 dollars down
0 interest for 7 years
Gov't tax credit
free winter tires and rims
Free tints
Warranty for 160k km or 10 years
Car is covered inside and out, paint, windows, interior
$498 a month tax in :D
Congratulations! The updated Optima is definitely a head turner.

Side note: A seven year car payment is hella long.

I've heard a lot about how unreliable they are but if I was in Europe I would get an Alfa.

French cars? He doesn't have to buy a French car lol.

I've had a French car for the past year, somehow managed to avoid problems. Only had a rubber exhaust mount perish, and my backboxes rusted away. Though neither could be avoided given the car's age.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Time for car shopping.

http://www.citroen.com/

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
New 2015 Mustang renders from Car and Driver:

2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481617-s-1280x782.jpg

If it's anywhere close to that render it'll be the first good looking Mustang ever made. (I'm one of those crazy people who thinks that 95% of cars from the 20th century look like shit now, or always looked like shit. I like the future.)

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-12q4/477962/2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481617

P.S. I guess the 5th gen pre-facelift looked decent.

I can't believe a Ford could look so good. That's two good looking Fords now, this and the F
lex.

J-Rzez

What bolt-ons do you recommend?

Bolt-on wise:
- 3" Downpipe, test-pipe, quality catback
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Intake + Hard pipe kit
- Flash
- Manual Boost Controller/Boost Gauge (ok, so there's a little cutting here)

You would be surprised the amount of power you'll get from such simple mods.

That mustang render, granted I can see Ford doing that, going for that Aston look and it would be killer, part of me would be a little disappointed that it doesn't really look like a Stang.

n0n44m

Time for car shopping.

Peugeot 508, the best that France has to offer ! (okok we got one)

now seriously, I'm Dutch but I *think* most of the following holds true in France as well

New car = made to order at factory = minimum of ~2 months of waiting time

I've never seen any dealers in Europe like they had in the US, with fields full of new cars waiting to be sold ... here you visit a dealer, look at the cars, make appointments for some testdrives, decide which car you want, pick the options and order it. Brand new (and thus popular) cars like the upcoming Ford Mondeo Mazda 6 will probably take around 6 months before they'll be delivered (that was the case for when the previous Mondeo was released)

Used cars you can take home after about a week probably; usually a decent dealership gives them a final checkup (yearly official checkups are mandatory for cars older than 3 years here, probably same in France) and registration of the licence plate etc can take a few days as well so don't expect to drive away immediately once you've made a decision

If you're buying used do note that 85% of the cars will have a manual transmission; the remaining 15% will either be premium German models or cheap Koreans that were owned by elderly people (over here at least, there it will probably be cheap French cars lol)

I vaguely remember you having a topic about moving to France; weren't you going to live somewhere near the German border? In that case you'll want a separate set of winter tires as well, as they're mandatory in Germany during Winter (i.e. you'll be held accountable for any accidents you have in winter-ish conditions if you're using regular/all-season tires)

If you're going to drive lots of miles/kilometers , you might want to consider a diesel engine ... not sure about the fuel costs in France or their premium of petrol over diesel (differs per country due to taxes & tariffs)

also if you're going to live in a busy part of a big city, just buy small cars and don't be surprised if they are full of scratches and dents at the end of the year because French parking is notorious for bumping lol

as for the cars;

Peugeot Citroën & Renault are the French brands, their cars range from economy to almost-premium. None of them are remotely sporty (apart from the Renault Megane Sport which is a proper Hot Hatch) as they all have front wheel drive and engines are basically 120/160 hp gasoline or 110/130/160/200 hp Diesels, but the top models are all very comfortable cars designed for long distance highway cruising. Peugeot & Citroën are technically the same company (PSA) so the cars share a lot of stuff like engines & transmissions, but Citroën definitely has a very unique styling on their latest models (and unusual body types as well!) whereas Peugeot is a bit more conservative.

Then there is some other European stuff you don't get in the States, like Opel, Alfa Romeo & Fiat ... and of course various smaller models or wagon versions that the main German brands only offer in Europe. Personally I think the Alfa Giulietta is gorgeous ...

Furthermore all the Asian brands are available as well, they should offer a lot of value for money and are generally very reliable.

What cars are you thinking of ? Most common economy cars in France would probably be the Peugeot 107/208, Renault Twingo/Clio or something like the Volkswagen Polo and Opel Corsa. For luxury car I'd always look at the model which was most recently refreshed; so that's the Peugeot 508 or Citroën DS5 for the French cars, and something like the Volkswagen Passat, upcoming Mazda 6 or the upcoming Ford Mondeo. Or just something Mercedes/BMW/Audi if you can afford it ;)

edit: WTF Ford ... first they close the factory in Belgium, then they delay the new Mondeo to late 2014 !! madness

MisterNoisy

Bolt-on wise:
That mustang render, granted I can see Ford doing that, going for that Aston look and it would be killer, part of me would be a little disappointed that it doesn't really look like a Stang.

I like that it hopefully won't look so retro any more, though the '10+ ones aren't as shameless as the last gen ones. Part of why I passed on a Mustang when I bought my current car was that I wanted something 'different' that I wouldn't see at every stoplight - besides being a hopelessly retro design, Mustangs are just everywhere.

In particular, I love the short rear overhang and the big 'hips' in that render, though I hope Ford handles the side surfacing more gracefully - the door sill area in those images remind me of the ugly 'flame surfacing' of the Z4 in the same place.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

If it's anywhere close to that render it'll be the first good looking Mustang ever made. (I'm one of those crazy people who thinks that 95% of cars from the 20th century look like shit now, or always looked like shit. I like the future.)

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-12q4/477962/2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481617

I'm getting a Bentley Continental vibe, in all the good ways though.

FStop7

Banned
Sorry Alpha lol :(

Anyway...

xWWzc.jpg

Why can't we have those sort of plates over here in the States? Make the fucking switch to those please..

We should be so lucky if the new M3 is that aggressive. That would be amazing if it had such prominent fender flares. Fingers crossed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What cars are you thinking of ? Most common economy cars in France would probably be the Peugeot 107/208, Renault Twingo/Clio or something like the Volkswagen Polo and Opel Corsa. For luxury car I'd always look at the model which was most recently refreshed; so that's the Peugeot 508 or Citroën DS5 for the French cars, and something like the Volkswagen Passat, upcoming Mazda 6 or the upcoming Ford Mondeo. Or just something Mercedes/BMW/Audi if you can afford it ;)
Well, I definitely want a BMW or Audi as one of the cars (really love that new 3 series and almost bought one here in the States before this news).

As for the other, well, there are definitely lots of options. Here in the US I have an Acura TSX and my wife drives a VW Jetta Sportwagen (Golf Estate) TDI with manual. Manual transmission is no problem (and I prefer it).

Thanks for the info, I'll take a good look. I didn't realize that I would fail to find large fields of cars BUT that's OK as, in the US, the cars I was recently looking at were nearly impossible to find with the right selection of options for me (especially with a manual, which is unpopular in the US).

n0n44m

Well, I definitely want a BMW or Audi as one of the cars (really love that new 3 series and almost bought one here in the States before this news).

As for the other, well, there are definitely lots of options. Here in the US I have an Acura TSX and my wife drives a VW Jetta Sportwagen (Golf Estate) TDI with manual. Manual transmission is no problem (and I prefer it).

Thanks for the info, I'll take a good look. I didn't realize that I would fail to find large fields of cars BUT that's OK as, in the US, the cars I was recently looking at were nearly impossible to find with the right selection of options for me (especially with a manual, which is unpopular in the US).

Yeah the new 3 series is awesome... I would've gotten us the 320d efficient dynamics version if this Peugeot wasn't so fiscally attractive due to stupid Dutch laws (because it's a hybrid, but the BMW is faster despite having less total power and has much better highway MPG)

and the only fields of cars I've seen around here are used ones ;) If I look for 2012 3 series on some French used car sites there are some dealers that do have cars with 0 mileage listed, so you might want to check that out once you've moved. Most results seem to be test-drive cars though

Edit: and if you go for a Volkswagen diesel again don't choose any of the 1.6 engines, because those are horribly slow and trying to drive somewhat fast in them will result in terrible MPG. Also there's always Skoda and Seat, which are basically rebadged Audi/VW models (or at least their platform + engines and transmissions) and thus much more affordable

N-Bomb

Welcome back, Probe!! <3

ameratsu

Going to look at a 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5S later today to possibly use as a DD. 6spd with 103kms. Anyone have experience with these? Is the trunk as small and useless as it looks?

looks like this:

2009_nissan_altima_coupe-pic-34319.jpeg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It has arrived!

URWqb.jpg

Walked into Manhattan Jaguar. Walked out with a brand new car. No mileage on the clock. Had more options than the last one I was supposed to have from the shitty dealership that I blew off. Got $25K for the trade-in. Got the exact payment I wanted on the new car.

Walked out grinning ear to ear. :D

That V8 howwwwwlls.

But I'm still in the process of breaking it in.

It has arrived!

Walked into Manhattan Jaguar. Walked out with a brand new car. No mileage on the clock. Had more options than the last one I was supposed to have from the shitty dealership that I blew off. Got $25K for the trade-in. Got the exact payment I wanted on the new car.

That V8 howwwwwlls.

Nice, but you couldn't have taken a worse photo!

Does it have the 8 speed?

Ovid

It has arrived!

URWqb.jpg

That V8 howwwwwlls.

NICE! Need a better picture though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I know picture is total shit. I took it in a pitch black area, I was at a party and all of my friends were clamoring for a pic. LOL

33-Hit-Combo: 8-speeds are 2013s only, it's for the V6 and Supercharged V8s only. I got a 2012 V8 5.0. I didn't want a supercharged V6 which replaces the 5.0L (slower, less power, no growl or howl or...noise or personality). The V8 is the right motor for this car. And the supercharged V8s were quite a bit out of our range, unfortunately.

But almost 400HP hits the nail on the head for this dream boat. It handles fantastic too.

I know picture is total shit. I took it in a pitch black area, I was at a party and all of my friends were clamoring for a pic. LOL

33-Hit-Combo: 8-speeds are 2013s only, it's for the V6 and Supercharged V8s only. I got a 2012 V8 5.0. I didn't want a supercharged V6 which replaces the 5.0L (slower, less power, no growl or howl or...noise or personality). The V8 is the right motor for this car. And the supercharged V8s were quite a bit out of our range, unfortunately.

But almost 400HP hits the nail on the head for this dream boat. It handles fantastic too.

Oh OK, wasn't sure how Jag were rolling out their new transmissions. I recall seeing the XF and XJ range all getting them on the UK website, so assumed they were all on sale now.

Still absolutely sweet, I love the way their V8 sounds.

ascii42

It has arrived!

URWqb.jpg

That V8 howwwwwlls.

JAAAAAG!

I'm glad everything wound up working out. At some point in my life I want to at least drive a Jaguar.

Rad Agast

Going to look at a 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5S later today to possibly use as a DD. 6spd with 103kms. Anyone have experience with these? Is the trunk as small and useless as it looks?

looks like this:

2009_nissan_altima_coupe-pic-34319.jpeg

It's probably the most practical Japanese coupe I can think of. That 2.5L engine is quite good too. If you're looking for more space but still want a good looking Japanese car then you might want to check the Maxima out.

It has arrived!

URWqb.jpg

That V8 howwwwwlls.

Congratulations! Glad to hear things worked out in the end. Take it easy on your new baby during break-in (if you can ;-p ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom