• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, haven't dropped the hammer on it yet. Haven't gone past 5K RPM. This thing wants to shred though, the low-end torque is sensational - pure V8 muscle. It has 4 driving modes: Drive, Drive + Dynamic, Sport, Sport + Dynamic.

I prefer keeping Dynamic on all the time and just switch between Drive and Sport (Dynamic firms up the steering, brakes, increases throttle response, and it feels like the chassis tightens up as well).

Drive Sport further increase throttle and keeps the car in gear longer, but also allows for paddle shifting, as well. It's a very fun car to drive.

If you want to dull down all of the throttle settings and have the car nanny you through poorer weather, there is a Winter Mode for that. But we won't be using this car at all to cover any snowy roads. LOL

bcl0328

Yeah, haven't dropped the hammer on it yet. Haven't gone past 5K RPM. This thing wants to shred though, the low-end torque is sensational - pure V8 muscle. It has 4 driving modes: Drive, Drive + Dynamic, Sport, Sport + Dynamic.

I prefer keeping Dynamic on all the time and just switch between Drive and Sport (Dynamic firms up the steering, brakes, increases throttle response, and it feels like the chassis tightens up as well).

Drive Sport further increase throttle and keeps the car in gear longer, but also allows for paddle shifting, as well. It's a very fun car to drive.

If you want to dull down all of the throttle settings and have the car nanny you through poorer weather, there is a Winter Mode for that. But we won't be using this car at all to cover any snowy roads. LOL

i love that shit. my bimmer has eco pro (saves a ton of gas, never use it), comfort, sport, and sport+. usually i stay in comfort going to work in the morning. after work i leave it in sport. i hardly use my paddles though.

Was in an accident yesterday, fucked up the front end on my MR2.. no Insurance

I was being a dumbass and passing a slow car in a two lane two way road when they turned left into me.

Their Car smelled heavily of pot though and the cops confiscated quite a bit of it.

Body work can get expensive cant it

AlphaSnake

Thank you all. Just took some better pics of the car and will put them up shortly.

speedline

Banned
Was in an accident yesterday, fucked up the front end on my MR2.. no Insurance

I was being a dumbass and passing a slow car in a two lane two way road when they turned left into me.

The Car smelled heavily of pot though and the cops confiscated quite a bit of it.

Body work can get expensive cant it

You were passing at an intersection?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Any tips on how to maximize my trade-in value?

I have a 2006 Grand Prix with just shy of 100K miles. A small dent in the trunk and the heater no longer blows hot air. But visually looks pretty good considering its age, and it drives fine. But with that said, I don't have the best luck with cars, and I know this is the point where I'd rather just have a car payment again and something new/reliable, than one day be driving my Grand Prix this winter, it breaks, and needs a repair more expensive than the car is even worth.

I really, REALLY want to get a 2011ish Challenger R/T with sub 30K miles. But I just can't find any for less than $25K, and that's with a lot of looking. I could swing it if I really wanted - but it just doesn't seem "smart" right now. I think for now, I'd much rather just get something new/reliable/kinda fun, but with a payment sub-$300/month. And then in 2-3 years, I'll re-evaluate and sell to get something I desire more.

I'm looking at possibly leasing a 2013 Fusion. Yeah, yeah, I know - don't lease. But I'd like something brand new, would appreciate the reliability, a warranty is nice, and I'm gonna want something new in 24-36 months, anyway.

I've spec'd out the details on Ford's site, and I'm a bit confused. If I put in a larger down payment in the calculator, it actually says I'll owe MORE at signing. Am I not understanding correctly? For example, if I up their standard $2500 downpayment to, say, $5000; it reduced the monthly payment but INCREASES the "due at signing" numbers - by more than the $2500 that I just added. Thoughts?

Do I have much room to negotiate my trade-in for a lease? Can I expect to have wiggle room at the end of the year like I would with cars that HAVEN'T just come out?

General thoughts? Thanks!

ascii42

Any tips on how to maximize my trade-in value?

I have a 2006 Grand Prix with just shy of 100K miles. A small dent in the trunk and the heater no longer blows hot air. But visually looks pretty good considering its age, and it drives fine. But with that said, I don't have the best luck with cars, and I know this is the point where I'd rather just have a car payment again and something new/reliable, than one day be driving my Grand Prix this winter, it breaks, and needs a repair more expensive than the car is even worth.

I really, REALLY want to get a 2011ish Challenger R/T with sub 30K miles. But I just can't find any for less than $25K, and that's with a lot of looking. I could swing it if I really wanted - but it just doesn't seem "smart" right now. I think for now, I'd much rather just get something new/reliable/kinda fun, but with a payment sub-$300/month. And then in 2-3 years, I'll re-evaluate and sell to get something I desire more.

I'm looking at possibly leasing a 2013 Fusion. Yeah, yeah, I know - don't lease. But I'd like something brand new, would appreciate the reliability, a warranty is nice, and I'm gonna want something new in 24-36 months, anyway.

I've spec'd out the details on Ford's site, and I'm a bit confused. If I put in a larger down payment in the calculator, it actually says I'll owe MORE at signing. Am I not understanding correctly? For example, if I up their standard $2500 downpayment to, say, $5000; it reduced the monthly payment but INCREASES the "due at signing" numbers - by more than the $2500 that I just added. Thoughts?

Do I have much room to negotiate my trade-in for a lease? Can I expect to have wiggle room at the end of the year like I would with cars that HAVEN'T just come out?

General thoughts? Thanks!

Yeah, Challengers seem to hold their value better than I expected. If you really want a Challenger, I think it would be a better idea to go ahead and get one rather than essentially waste your money on a Fusion for the next 2-3 years. Especially if you think you might still be interested in getting a Challenger then.

Could the downpayment thing be due to tax?

N-Bomb

No, it was two lanes, one one way the other the opposite.

when I say one lane road I think of single lane shared.

The other driver was turning left into some entrance that isnt normally open

Rough... but can't really be mad at getting caught without your insurance/etc. :\

Rough... but can't really be mad at getting caught without your insurance/etc. :\

Yea, I am mad at myself mostly for risking it, I should have just waited behind the dude going slow.

Tip: Don't ever own Triangle Tires, they offer no grip.

had I been on a decent set of tires I probably would have stopped.

these tires are so bad that they skid when I would downshift sometimes.

AlphaSnake

Pictures that don't look like they were taken with a potato. I stored the Jaguar away in my office garage for Hurricane Sandy. Don't want any trees landing on my new kitten.

Driving the Audi back and forth comparing to the Jaguar over these past few weeks (there was also a 528i and a 535i not pictured) that I've driven on many occasions, there's no question the XF is the best luxury sedan of the bunch. I've driven a 2011 E350, and it's awful. The 2012s have better power, but the overall car is just depressingly bad for the cost. And while I do like the Lexus GS350, it is a bit laggy, mushy and boring to drive in many ways - plus poorly proportioned with Hyundai Sonata-esque looks from certain angles. Not to mention that only the Audi and Jaguar are actually priced competitively, where as optioning out a lowly 528i RWD with the same options found standard on the Jaguar rockets the price up to $59K...for a 528i...a car with an enormous disadvantage in handling and power. The 535i sweels to $63K. The E350 is $62.5K. Comparatively, the Jaguar is $54K (mine was $55K), and is virtually a fully loaded car at its base. The Audi A6 3.0T base is $51.5K, and comes AWD standard by default. But it's fairly barebones in base form, and absolutely requires Premium Plus to match the offerings of the Jaguar (such as the one pictured here) which brings its price up to $55.5K as well, on par with the Jaguar. Fortunately, both the Jaguar and Audi have quite a make of room between invoice and MSRP, so there's thousands to shave. Where as, no matter how many thousands you shave off the MSRP of the others, you will not get anywhere near the value that the Jaguar offers, nor the Audi.

Ultimately, both are terrific cars. But I definitely prefer the Jaguar just a bit more for its soul. And in a world where souls are quickly being sucked out of cars, I welcome this fire-breathing 5.0L behemoth into my life...and wallet.

ex6Ql.jpg

3QiIT.jpg

83lAf.jpg

uoPQ5.jpg

sfedai0

Banned
Congrats on the nice whips, but Im really not feeling the massive chrome grill on the Jag. Audi front looks like it hit a wall and got crushed.

Yea, I am mad at myself mostly for risking it, I should have just waited behind the dude going slow.

Tip: Don't ever own Triangle Tires, they offer no grip.

had I been on a decent set of tires I probably would have stopped.

these tires are so bad that they skid when I would downshift sometimes.

Mad at yourself for risking the pass? How about mad at yourself for driving an uninsured vehicle with a suspended license? What the fuck were you thinking, man?

TylerD

Tough life you have there Alpha.

A6 or Jag? A6 or Jag? A6 or Jag?

Congrats on the Jag-U-Are!

Congrats on the nice whips, but Im really not feeling the massive chrome grill on the Jag. Audi front looks like it hit a wall and got crushed.

Plasti-Dip that bitch.

N-Bomb

So this is the first time I've had my car out in less than dry, ideal conditions. Holy crap it's fun, even with my being tentative and careful. I thought something was wrong with the AWD, but I think that it's just that it's actually doing something now instead of being all happy in the grippy dryness.

Gonna have to learn how to control a slide one of these days. :D

So this is the first time I've had my car out in less than dry, ideal conditions. Holy crap it's fun, even with my being tentative and careful. I thought something was wrong with the AWD, but I think that it's just that it's actually doing something now instead of being all happy in the grippy dryness.

Gonna have to learn how to control a slide one of these days. :D

Practice, practice, practice!

Man, with winter coming I miss my beater Impreza. :(

speedline

Banned
I like the Audi better, but I woudn't complain with that 5.0 V8 Jag. The Audi reminds me much more of professionals in my age group, while everytime I see a Jaguar around here it is being driven by an old person.

AlphaSnake

Tough life you have there Alpha.

A6 or Jag? A6 or Jag? A6 or Jag?

Congrats on the Jag-U-Are!

Plasti-Dip that bitch.

I had to actually give the Audi up (sort of). It was originally leased and insured by me. But Jaguar's bank (Chase) wouldn't give me another lease since I had one with Audi (understandably so), so I had to swap the lease over to my dad's name a few weeks back in order to acquire the Jaguar.

I would've had to do it regardless, since I'm leaving NY and moving to Florida in February, so the Audi wouldn't have cut it down there and I was leaving it behind for my dad. But yeah, the Audi is now on my dad's name, even though it's still on my insurance policy. I don't drive the Audi much anymore, either. My work hours have been insane, so my dad's the only who drives it now a few miles each day.

And no, I will not desecrate this car with plastidip. The chrome grille is a British staple to me, it has a specific semblance and relevance to the history of the car.

I've always admired Jaguars, and British autos in general. My dream sports car is an Aston Martin (a V12 Vantage hopefully). And my first ever toy car was a die-cast of an Jaguar E-Type at the age of 5. My automotive fandom spurted from there on, really. I've always had a rather tingly obsession with cars since childhood. So these expensive and poor financial choices bring the biggest smile to my face, which is what ultimately counts to me.

Mad at yourself for risking the pass? How about mad at yourself for driving an uninsured vehicle with a suspended license? What the fuck were you thinking, man?

Sorry but in this world I cant not drive if I expect to be able to work to pay off my license.

thats like saying anyone in an accident should have just not driven.

paskowitz

JAAAAAG!

I'm glad everything wound up working out. At some point in my life I want to at least drive a Jaguar.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/drive-experience/overview/

I drove every car they make at Lime Rock Park. The XK-RS was pretty awesome. Even though I had the TCS on it was still pretty lively. The XF-R was cool as well. Not as fun as the XK but still fun. The XF was just pure class. Car looks stunning and is is comfier than the comfiest thing I have ever sat in/on.

Sorry but in this world I cant not drive if I expect to be able to work to pay off my license.

thats like saying anyone in an accident should have just not driven.

It's really not the same thing at all. Take a moment to think on that.

Anyway, did you ever speak with a lawyer about obtaining some sort of restricted or hardship license? You may be fucked now since you drove and got into an accident on a suspended license, but it may be worth a shot.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Met a friend for lunch today, and on my way back to work my car died. :-/

It was jer..jerk...jerrrrrk...jerking as I drove, and so I pulled over into a parking lot. Turned it off. Checked the engine (cause, you know, I'm a guy so that's obviously the first thing I do). Make sure my battery is connected right. Check the belts. Go to start my car - nothing. No gauges. No sound. Nothing. I'm about to call AAA for a tow - but shoot my boss an email real quick (which he was cool about). Start it one more time - starts up fine. No issues.

But with nearly 100,000 miles, no warranty, a dent in my trunk, my heat and defrost no longer working, my CV joints going... I just was ready to stop worrying about it. I got back to work around 1:30, and asked my boss if I could PTO the remainder of the day, which wasn't a problem.

I hit two Ford dealerships - the new Fusion is what I had in mind. Yes, I'm kinda young looking - but I was wearing nice clothes and a nice watch/shoes driving an okay car - you'd think SOMEONE would come help me. But even when I went inside, the three employees just sat around and talked to each other while calling someone to help me. Yeah, screw that. I left. Never even got a chance to test drive the Fusion.

Hit three Chevy dealerships. I want a Camaro SS really bad - but I'm not quite prepared for that kind of payment. I could swing it if I really wanted - but there go the fun video games and eating out. It'd kill my budget, and so I decided against it. The Malibu is alright - but honestly, if I were to get the Malibu, I'd rather get the Fusion. The Cruz is WAY too small for me - I'm 6'2 and 250 lbs with size 16 shoes. I need some space (but would make an exception for the Camaro or Challenger ;p )

Hit Toyota - nothing exciting.

Hit Nissan - like the Maxima, but even used the things were in the high 20s low 30s. Yikes. New were hitting $40+K sticker. Had no idea those were that expensive. On a side note, though, my younger sister bought a 2011 Sentra last year, and it's reliable as heck it seems. It's perfect for her - nice little car she's got.

Ended up at Carmax. Figured I'd look. A dark forest green, 2011 Jeep Liberty Limited caught my eye. Pretty much every option checked off - leather, heated and memory seats, Bluetooth, XM, upgraded Infinity sound, etc - except for 4WD and sunroof. Drove nice. Was the nicest one they had on the lot. Went in, they gave me a great interest rate (I should assumed/hoped for good as I have very worthy credit, but knew sometimes they rob you in this department) but I was happy. My trade in value was decent, too, considering the issues. Ended up being able to work in a 7yr, 150,000 mile warranty plus GAP insurance into the payment I was hoping to have each month. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having that peace of mind. Also, called up Geico and they said my insurance payment will actually be less?! The heck. I triple checked, and they said that happens sometimes. So I've got great, full coverage with the smallest deductible they offer. Again, I appreciate the peace of mind. Furthermore, didn't drop a cent today, my tax/tags/etc are covered, and my first payment isn't until mid December.

Drove it all around town tonight to check it out - really love it. A nice change of pace from my old sedan. I'll take some more pics after I get a chance to detail it, but I'm extremely happy. Went from not thinking about it at all this morning, to a a problem at 1. Off work at 1:30. New keys in my hand by 6pm. Fast day!

8137173972_642caa6b42_c.jpg

8137170763_0896c5c847_c.jpg

It's really not the same thing at all. Take a moment to think on that.

Anyway, did you ever speak with a lawyer about obtaining some sort of restricted or hardship license? You may be fucked now since you drove and got into an accident on a suspended license, but it may be worth a shot.

No my license nor insurance would have stopped the accident from happening.
The situation would be the exact same if I had my license and had the lowest insurance (not in a financial standpoint to have more than that)

and I have looked extensively for an option but there is none in California, not even in another state.
what I have against me is FTA's on Registration tickets.

Rad Agast

/snip

Drove it all around town tonight to check it out - really love it. A nice change of pace from my old sedan. I'll take some more pics after I get a chance to detail it, but I'm extremely happy. Went from not thinking about it at all this morning, to a a problem at 1. Off work at 1:30. New keys in my hand by 6pm. Fast day!

Grats on the new buy.

matmanx1

Met a friend for lunch today, and on my way back to work my car died. :-/

It was jer..jerk...jerrrrrk...jerking as I drove, and so I pulled over into a parking lot. Turned it off. Checked the engine (cause, you know, I'm a guy so that's obviously the first thing I do). Make sure my battery is connected right. Check the belts. Go to start my car - nothing. No gauges. No sound. Nothing. I'm about to call AAA for a tow - but shoot my boss an email real quick (which he was cool about). Start it one more time - starts up fine. No issues.

But with nearly 100,000 miles, no warranty, a dent in my trunk, my heat and defrost no longer working, my CV joints going... I just was ready to stop worrying about it. I got back to work around 1:30, and asked my boss if I could PTO the remainder of the day, which wasn't a problem.

I hit two Ford dealerships - the new Fusion is what I had in mind. Yes, I'm kinda young looking - but I was wearing nice clothes and a nice watch/shoes driving an okay car - you'd think SOMEONE would come help me. But even when I went inside, the three employees just sat around and talked to each other while calling someone to help me. Yeah, screw that. I left. Never even got a chance to test drive the Fusion.

Hit three Chevy dealerships. I want a Camaro SS really bad - but I'm not quite prepared for that kind of payment. I could swing it if I really wanted - but there go the fun video games and eating out. It'd kill my budget, and so I decided against it. The Malibu is alright - but honestly, if I were to get the Malibu, I'd rather get the Fusion. The Cruz is WAY too small for me - I'm 6'2 and 250 lbs with size 16 shoes. I need some space (but would make an exception for the Camaro or Challenger ;p )

Hit Toyota - nothing exciting.

Hit Nissan - like the Maxima, but even used the things were in the high 20s low 30s. Yikes. New were hitting $40+K sticker. Had no idea those were that expensive. On a side note, though, my younger sister bought a 2011 Sentra last year, and it's reliable as heck it seems. It's perfect for her - nice little car she's got.

Ended up at Carmax. Figured I'd look. A dark forest green, 2011 Jeep Liberty Limited caught my eye. Pretty much every option checked off - leather, heated and memory seats, Bluetooth, XM, upgraded Infinity sound, etc - except for 4WD and sunroof. Drove nice. Was the nicest one they had on the lot. Went in, they gave me a great interest rate (I should assumed/hoped for good as I have very worthy credit, but knew sometimes they rob you in this department) but I was happy. My trade in value was decent, too, considering the issues. Ended up being able to work in a 7yr, 150,000 mile warranty plus GAP insurance into the payment I was hoping to have each month. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having that peace of mind. Also, called up Geico and they said my insurance payment will actually be less?! The heck. I triple checked, and they said that happens sometimes. So I've got great, full coverage with the smallest deductible they offer. Again, I appreciate the peace of mind. Furthermore, didn't drop a cent today, my tax/tags/etc are covered, and my first payment isn't until mid December.

Congrats and enjoy it. I find Carmax to be very easy to deal with and have bought several cars from them over the years. Sounds like you found a very good thing all the way around and that piece of mind is certainly worth a bunch. And I know what you mean about the insurance. My insurance only went up a few dollars a month going from a 2006 Lancer ES (a 6 thousand dollar car) to a 2007 Boxster (a 30 thousand dollar car). I'm not sure how that works either but aren't we glad that it does!

Watevaman

I'm sorry Skel, but 100k miles and you got rid of your vehicle? Maybe it was a POS or something, but that's nowhere near where a car should die. Were you the only owner? Sounds like someone neglected it.

ascii42

I'm sorry Skel, but 100k miles and you got rid of your vehicle? Maybe it was a POS or something, but that's nowhere near where a car should die. Were you the only owner? Sounds like someone neglected it.

There are some minor issues like bad sensors that it could have been that wouldn't be out of the ordinary at 100k miles. Or maybe the transmission was failing early. Tough to tell from the description. At any rate, it sounds like he didn't feel like dealing with that and the CV joints.

TommyT

New 2015 Mustang renders from Car and Driver:

2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481617-s-1280x782.jpg

If it's anywhere close to that render it'll be the first good looking Mustang ever made. (I'm one of those crazy people who thinks that 95% of cars from the 20th century look like shit now, or always looked like shit. I like the future.)

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-12q4/477962/2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481617

P.S. I guess the 5th gen pre-facelift looked decent.

HAHAHAHAOHWOW.jpg

But seriously, no.

New 2015 Mustang renders from Car and Driver:

2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481617-s-1280x782.jpg

If it's anywhere close to that render it'll be the first good looking Mustang ever made. (I'm one of those crazy people who thinks that 95% of cars from the 20th century look like shit now, or always looked like shit. I like the future.)

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-12q4/477962/2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481617

P.S. I guess the 5th gen pre-facelift looked decent.

If a Mustang looks that close to an aston martin, well, I'd reconsider owning an aston martin.

Viperbah

Alpha, awesome JAG, congrats.

I put headers and a new pcm in my viper this past weekend. The install was pretty straight forward. The dealer had to flash my vin to the new pcm, which was annoying because I hate going to a dealer to do anything. Gains seem really nice and the sound is much better. I think im going to wait for a dyno day or a deal to get the car dynoed, but similar cars are dynoing around 580-590 rwhp just with exhaust and the pcm. Too bad I won't be able to enjoy it much longer with winter coming up.

Also, got some better quality pics from a recent cruise with friends

image_1350340932221311.jpg

viperandgtr2.jpg

mclaren777

Mclaren Special Operations just unveiled some cosmetic choices for the MP4-12C, including an unpainted carbon hood and a revised front bumper that I really like.

i3pMjW2UUtssy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom