• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rennlist is a pretty decent brand specific forum; though there are plenty of know-nothings there are a ton of people who are extraordinarily knowledgeable without too much bias.

As far as forums for general car nonsense for actual enthusiasts one of the best I've seen is actually Something Awful's Automotive Insanity subforum. It has a good volume of people posting and is generally pretty civil, knowledgeable and inclusive. Worth browsing, at least.

Edit: This thread is weird, though, people tend to get riled up really easily and I'm not sure why.

coldfoot

Banned
Then of course there are the heavily inclined and overly technical biased folk who will swear up and down on why the Mustang does not need IRS, and how it is superbly capable, etc etc etc. They'll go as far as drawing you charts and shit to back up their own delusions.
Then we have people here who think the Nissan 350Z/370Z look good :)

sikkinixx

I doubt anyone has but.... anyone around here driven a Fiat 500 Abarth (North American version, or the European Essesse version)? I really quite like the vanilla 500 as a small, economical car but it's so dreadfully slow. The Abarth though has another 60hp and is styled a bit more sporty. I dig it quite a bit. All the reviews, save one, have been quite positive (complaints are mostly the driving position is too high and it needs a 6th gear) but I haven't actually found any opinions from regular, non-journalist, folk.

ascii42

Is this the go to place for mechanical related questions too, or is there another thread for that?

There isn't, but it's somewhat of a crapshoot whether anyone will answer. Depending on how specific the question is to a particular model, you may be better off going to a dedicated forum. With that being said, you might as well ask it here. If someone knows, they'll probably chime in.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
But now The Detroit Bureau has put together news from different sources suggesting that the next Supra might be all electric. The report cites recent comments from Toyota senior executives hinting at plans to work with Tesla on a new joint project. The FT-HS Concept (shown above) seems a logical inspiration for a new Supra.

Not enough /faceplants in the world.

ascii42

Not enough /faceplants in the world.

So they are figuring it'll be an FT-HS, but with a Tesla Model S drivetrain, perhaps? Or a new Tesla drivetrain?

I don't know. Tesla has proven that you can make a performance electric car, but there's still some things they've got to work out, like top speed for instance.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Thanks guys.

Basically, I've got a minor and slow oil leak. I was positive it was coming from the oil filter, and that the shop who performed my last oil change didn't tighten the filter enough, or left the old gasket on. I took it back to the same shop for an inspection and asked that they check it out. They ended up saying that the oil leak wasn't coming from the filter, but up higher somewhere behind the timing belt cover. They also think that it's mixed with coolant, but only by visual inspection, they didn't run any tests. That of course made my heart stop and I'm fearing a blown head gasket. Oil and coolant levels are fine, and the temps haven't fluctuated at all from what I can tell. Also, FWIW, the leak stops for days at a time as well which seems odd to me.

02 WRX with 130k

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys.

Basically, I've got a minor and slow oil leak. I was positive it was coming from the oil filter, and that the shop who performed my last oil change didn't tighten the filter enough, or left the old gasket on. I took it back to the same shop for an inspection and asked that they check it out. They ended up saying that the oil leak wasn't coming from the filter, but up higher somewhere behind the timing belt cover. They also think that it's mixed with coolant, but only by visual inspection, they didn't run any tests. That of course made my heart stop and I'm fearing a blown head gasket. Oil and coolant levels are fine, and the temps haven't fluctuated at all from what I can tell. Also, FWIW, the leak stops for days at a time as well which seems odd to me.

02 WRX with 130k

You didn't take it to Jiffy Lube, did you? IMO you should avoid such places all together. I've had two bad experiences with them. Dealership are usually competitive, and the service is better IMO.

Speaking of oil I've been thinking of changing to Mobil 1. The discussion between dino and synthetic (I know Mobil 1 isn't a true synthetic) is like the debate about religion or politics. From what I've found in my lengthly research is that there are almost no benefits from going from regular to synthetic. You're just paying more. Anyone here have any first hand impressions from using a synthetic?

N-Bomb

Thanks guys.

02 WRX with 130k

02 WRX is the EJ205, isn't it? Shouldn't be head gasket issues with those, that was mainly the early 2.5L.

Perhaps try tightening the filter yourself. You can check for oil in the coolant by opening up the overflow tank at the front of the engine bay and looking in.

So this leak is happening near the front of the engine then? How are your boost levels?

N-Bomb

You didn't take it to Jiffy Lube, did you? IMO you should avoid such places all together. I've had two bad experiences with them. Dealership are usually competitive, and the service is better IMO.

Speaking of oil I've been thinking of changing to Mobil 1. The discussion between dino and synthetic (I know Mobil 1 isn't a true synthetic) is like the debate about religion or politics. From what I've found in my lengthly research is that there are almost no benefits from going from regular to synthetic. You're just paying more. Anyone here have any first hand impressions from using a synthetic?

Mobil 1 is synthetic, afaik. Also I swear by synthetics, except in a rotary.

reilo

Also make sure not to OVERtighten the filter as you can break the seal. That's a big issue with Mazda6s. If you overtighten the filter, break the seal, it just drips drips drips and burns away somewhere where you'll never be able to see the leak and then one day you just run out of oil and your engine is dead.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Shell's gasoline has been dyno tested a bunch of times to make more power than others. Kinda crazy.

Fifth Gear did this test in a webisode and again this past season.

Ovid

Shell's gasoline has been dyno tested a bunch of times to make more power than others. Kinda crazy.

Shell is usually my #1 choice. Probably mental but my TL use to pull harder when I used it.

reilo

They make pretty damn good oil, too. At least for my car's engine.

belvedere

Junior Butler

No, I take it to a local chain where I know a fellow Scooby nut. I used to perform all of my oil changes and basic maintenance myself but after I moved out I lost access to my Dad's ramps, jacks and tools :p. It's inexpensive so I've just been having them do it.

02 WRX is the EJ205, isn't it? Shouldn't be head gasket issues with those, that was mainly the early 2.5L.

Perhaps try tightening the filter yourself. You can check for oil in the coolant by opening up the overflow tank at the front of the engine bay and looking in.

So this leak is happening near the front of the engine then? How are your boost levels?

Yes, it's the EJ205. I haven't had the chance to get a good look at it yet, but yeah, from what I can tell it's coming from up above the oil filter towards the front. It seems to be behind the timing belt cover but I can't say that with 100% certainty. Boost is fine, the car runs like it always has other than the occasional spot on the garage floor. I'd really like to get the most life out of the car as possible and want to make sure this isn't going to escalate into something major. I checked the coolant as well, it's perfectly green though a bit on the low side.

N-Bomb

Yes, it's the EJ205. I haven't had the chance to get a good look at it yet, but yeah, from what I can tell it's coming from up above the oil filter towards the front. It seems to be behind the timing belt cover but I can't say that with 100% certainty. Boost is fine, the car runs like it always has other than the occasional spot on the garage floor. I'd really like to get the most life out of the car as possible and want to make sure this isn't going to escalate into something major. I checked the coolant as well, it's perfectly green though a bit on the low side.

If it's behind the cover it could be the crank main seal, cam seal, maybe the oil pump itself.

DIY you'll probably have to remove the rad to get in there. :\ Better to have caught this early though, whatever it is.

AlphaSnake

That is badass. $4K for a turbo and it easily makes 300HP? Bargain. And dammit, those dark and clear corner headlights (are they JDM?) look fucking awesome.

Well, admittedly I always did state that in my opinion the 86/FR-S/BRZ felt excellent with its stock 200 naturally aspirated horses, but oh boy was I wrong. While the stock engine is very well balanced to the suspension and handling of the stock car, once you begin throwing on harder and more performance oriented dampers and grippier tires it’s obvious more “oomph” is needed.

And it begins. :)

Like I said 200HP will quickly be forgotten about and considered merely adequate once drivers taste more power out of this thing.

Like I said 200HP will quickly be forgotten about and considered merely adequate once drivers taste more power out of this thing.

Have we seen any reviews of turbos on otherwise stock BRZs? It's hard to say whether or not the car, in its stock form, really needs that power or if it's just that the power has to come up to meet the performance of the suspension/tire upgrades like he implies.

N-Bomb

All of my visual mods go on next year. I probably should've saved my money and NOT bought them this summer if they're just going to sit in a box for a year. Clear corners, new tails, clear side markers, JDM grille, modding the stock bumper to cut out some bullshit, maybe JDM rear bumper (smoover), possibly ducktail spoiler (or just delete), tint windows, respray. Maybe do something with the a-pillar antenna... it will look completely different. :D

Been reading a bit of ecomodder, and I found this lolness:
107773_11lo.jpg

BoatRebuild15.jpg

Sure the bottom one is apparently very functional! But it looks a little ridiculous, seeing as he made the front end out of coroplast :D

The silver car above is a 'Walkinshaw' proper name HSV VL SS Group A SV which is the road homolgation version of the race car used in Group A racing in Australia (and won Bathurst). It's actually quite collectible and desirable (for some) now, with average cars going for 60+ and mint low kms cars over $100k. I was close to buying one before I bought the GTR, made an offer but couldn't come to an agreement on price (since I was too tight lol). The bodykit was designed for racing. It also came with an awesome (at the time) V8 engine.

Desavona

Thanks guys.

02 WRX with 130k

Check your rocker cover gaskets. It's a common thing to go on boxers almost every WRX or Liberty close friends have bought have gone through this.

Edit: Just to give you an idea on price. A friend recently bought a H6 Liberty and it was $800 aud to get done in a shop and they screwed it up and had to take it back again. The 3 WRXs to have the issue we fixed in the back yard for the price of the gaskets. If you are capable I would recommend you do it yourself.

Ash_69

Then we have people here who think the Nissan 350Z/370Z look good :)

There's a few of us in here now so watch your dirty mouth. ;)

Also, that pic above, the Beemer looks SO much nicer than that big ol Merc which looks like it has the drag coefficient of a council block.

matmanx1

Any opinions on the Infiniti G37s? I know it's based on the 370z and seems to do well in head to head tests with the 3 series BMW but have yet to sit in or drive one. I'm starting to think about a more family friendly but still fun car for a possible future purchase and that's one that I would like to check out.

Enron

Banned
Any opinions on the Infiniti G37s? I know it's based on the 370z and seems to do well in head to head tests with the 3 series BMW but have yet to sit in or drive one. I'm starting to think about a more family friendly but still fun car for a possible future purchase and that's one that I would like to check out.

The G began life sharing a platform with the Z - to say that the G37 is "based" on the 370z would not be accurate. My buddy has a g37x sedan and absolutely loves it - i've got a g35 sedan and I absolutely love it. The G37 has a lot more power than the 328i if that matters to you, although the BMW interior is much better. The infiniti will also cost you a lot less in maintenance and will be more reliable overall. And its a good bit cheaper (or used to be, anyways) than a 3 series.

There's a bunch of g vs. 3 series comparisons out there by various motoring publications - a quick google should find 'em. From what I remember of them, most of them give the edge to the G since they factor in "value". But if you were looking for best performance with money not being an issue, the BMW 335 probably wins.

AlphaSnake

The G began life sharing a platform with the Z - to say that the G37 is "based" on the 370z would not be accurate.

It's still pretty accurate. Suspension parts between the two are totally interchangeable, because the structural points of both cars are virtually identical. 350Z and 370Z springs and struts will mount right on to a G37 Coupe, for example. Exhausts (stock and aftermarket) run underneath the body of both cars identically as well, the only difference being the G requires a lengthier mid-pipe to make up for its overall length and wheelbase.

coldfoot

Banned
G37 = 370Z + good looks + back seats + a bit of extra weight.

reilo

The G37 is hideous, wtf people. Looks like a shitty Lexus coupe from the early '00s.

ameratsu

I have a dumb question.

So i bought an integra and just swapped out the thermostat. Lost a little coolant when taking it out so i'm going to have to replenish what was lost (<1 litre). I don't know what the previous owners put in; but apart from a few cars that take specialty green coolant (some mazdas), are green coolants otherwise interchangeable and mixable?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom