• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttons

And that's when the Evoque hit me, since it WAS, after all, a by product of input from Victoria Beckham. Seems like that car was precisely what she was looking for. Despite the price tag too, she's pretty keen on the car.

Just gotta chip in here but the Evoque is an amazing car. Is gorgeous, the quality is really good and it has such a unique styling that the car probably won't "age" really fast. So it will still be a special car even years from now. Can't really go wrong. :)

See them around here all the time, have become quite popular among bankers in the city.

ascii42

Well, we have an A6 already. It used to be my car, until I handed it over to my dad last week since I got the Jaaaaaaaaaag. And she doesn't want a low riding coupe, so the A5 is definitely out of the equation.

The Volvo has pretty good ground clearance, and thus far has proven itself on NYC's absolute worst roads (daily commute is: Woodhaven Blvd to Belt Pkwy to Coney Island-Surf Avenue). Those who live in NYC simply know, this is one of the worst combination of roads for a car to endure, the Belt Pkwy particularly.

But yes, mom has awesome taste in cars:

She asked me about Benzes, so I showed her the GLK and she thought it looked like a blunt instrument, dull and ugly. And she hated the plasticky interior - that's how I know she's my mom.

She asked about the Lexus RX, and I said the car handles poorly and lacks confidence, and she goes: "I don't need a boat. Next."

I showed her the 2013 Acura RDX and she was like "what's with the bucktooth front grille? And that center console is a little too bulky looking. The entire car just looks so boring and plain too." At which point I told my mom that cars out of Toyota and Honda tend to be referred to as appliances: square and dull, like a dishwasher, washing machine or a fridge.

She says "no American cars please. I need something that looks classy, something with some femininity." And that's when the Evoque hit me, since it WAS, after all, a by product of input from Victoria Beckham. Seems like that car was precisely what she was looking for. Despite the price tag too, she's pretty keen on the car.

She was also interested in the Infiniti EX37, but I did warn her that it'll likely be a bit of a rougher ride and the fuel efficiency will pale to the Volvo's 29 HWY MPG.
The GLK has a plasticky interior? At that price? WTF is MB doing?

With those requirements in mind, yeah Evoque seems like the best choice. It's nice looking, and quite capable too, judging by the episode of Top Gear where James May drove one. I think among American brands, Buick makes the classiest looking cars, but the Regal is the only one that's meant to be driver's car, and I don't think it's as nice as it should be. Might be tricky to find one she liked even if she wasn't set against an American car. American luxury tends to be more about brashness.

coldfoot

Banned
Screw the évoque and get a x3. You can get a loaded one for what they're asking for an évoque. It will drive better, You will also be able to see out of it and has a wonderful option called heated rear seats.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The GLK has a plasticky interior? At that price? WTF is MB doing?

With those requirements in mind, yeah Evoque seems like the best choice. It's nice looking, and quite capable too, judging by the episode of Top Gear where James May drove one. I think among American brands, Buick makes the classiest looking cars, but the Regal is the only one that's meant to be driver's car, and I don't think it's as nice as it should be. Might be tricky to find one she liked even if she wasn't set against an American car. American luxury tends to be more about brashness.

All Benzes below the CLS and S-Class have this ridiculously plastic slabbed center console that just looks disgusting.

ag_12c250_dash.JPG

2011-mercedes-benz-e350-bluetec-center-console-vertical.jpg

BLACK.bmp

LOOK AT THOSE BIG CHROME (GAUDY AS FUCK) VENTS!

ascii42

All Benzes below the CLS and S-Class have this ridiculously plastic slabbed center console that just looks disgusting.

LOOK AT THOSE BIG CHROME (GAUDY AS FUCK) VENTS!

Yeah, center stacks seem prone to that. I drove an Escalade Platinum a while back and thought: Well this is actually pretty nice for something based on a Chevy truck, leather everywhere, I like the way they did the wood, comfy seats, more screens than I've seen in a car outside of Pimp My Ride....wait, what the hell! Is that recycled DVD case plastic in the center there or what? I'm not sure they could have made it look much more out of place if they tried.
cadillac_escalade_platinum_interior-1280x1024.jpg

AlphaSnake

Yeah. I understand using plastic. But a lot of other companies go out of their way to mask the harshness with a nice and soft textured layer, which also helps adds a layer of thickness to prevent rattling as well. Benz doesn't do that - you press on the console and you just hear plastic creaking from the stress of your push. I hate that noise so much I cringe every time I hear it.

And btw, those pictures I posted...one of them is a $30K C-Class. And the other is a $52K E-Class. A $22K premium...gets you the same exact center console.

ascii42

Yeah. I understand using plastic. But a lot of other companies go out of their way to mask the harshness with a nice and soft textured layer, which also helps adds a layer of thickness to prevent rattling as well. Benz doesn't do that - you press on the console and you just hear plastic creaking from the stress of your push. I hate that noise so much I cringe every time I hear it.

And btw, those pictures I posted...one of them is a $30K C-Class. And the other is a $52K E-Class. A $22K premium...gets you the same exact center console.

I agree with that. I don't so much care about what something is made of if it's not something I'm going to be touching, as long as it at least looks good. Whether I touch it or not, it shouldn't rattle or creak.

With respect to the E-Class vs. C-Class interior, I have mixed feelings. While yes, the E is more expensive, that's mostly because it's bigger. To put it in a different way, if you want a small car, why should you have to sacrifice interior quality? They are both Benzes. Of course this is somewhat of a bad example because of the interior in question. For the purposes of this argument, imagine the E class has a center stack befitting of its price.

I was kind of thinking about this when I drove the Cadillac ATS and sat in the XTS, they have the same exact center stack with the same touchscreen technology. Within the next year or so, all Cadillacs will be like that. With screen-based interfaces, what will differentiate more expensive models from the cheaper ones, as far as all that stuff is concerned? Other than the desire have different interiors to fit the different personalities of each car, which can be done with the rest of the dash, is there even a need? It really will be "same sausage, different lengths."

Granted, smaller cars will always tend to be more driving-oriented than bigger cars, and larger cars more comfort-focused (Heated rear seats wouldn't make much sense in a 1-series).

matmanx1

While I'm sure the Evoque is a nice car (truck?), to me it looks like a roided up Ford Edge. The exterior seems to lack some of that class that I normally associate with Range Rover.

The AWD X series look a little classier and more interesting to me and at the Evoque price point you're really talking about X3 or X5 territory in terms of price. Still, whatever makes mom happy is probably worth it. And yeah, the Volvo is probably a smarter choice than either of the 'activity vehicles" from BMW or RR. Good luck with the search.

AlphaSnake

While I'm sure the Evoque is a nice car (truck?), to me it looks like a roided up Ford Edge. The exterior seems to lack some of that class that I normally associate with Range Rover.

The AWD X series look a little classier and more interesting to me and at the Evoque price point you're really talking about X3 or X5 territory in terms of price. Still, whatever makes mom happy is probably worth it. And yeah, the Volvo is probably a smarter choice than either of the 'activity vehicles" from BMW or RR. Good luck with the search.

A roided up Ford Edge?

I don't think you've ever seen an Evoque in person, duder. They're tiny little things.

It's a roided up Ford Smax with the 2.0 ecoboost engine from the edge and escape and others in the ford lineup.

lolwot?

Has got that 2.0l petrol though, which in it's full state of tune is pretty good. 0-60 in 7 seconds.

Reminds me more of a sculpted Ford Kuga, in aesthetics.

coldfoot

Banned
lolwot?

Has got that 2.0l petrol though, which in it's full state of tune is pretty good. 0-60 in 7 seconds.

Reminds me more of a sculpted Ford Kuga, in aesthetics.
Uses the same platform as that S-max people carrier. Still don't see a reason to buy an Évoque over a X3 at that price level.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yesterday I finally had a chance to hit the car wash and spend a few hours detailing my car. I still had quite a bit of goodies; but what is it about a new ride that makes you want new cleaning goodies?

8151518385_551770444f_c.jpg

Anyway, it's no Evoque or Escalade or Mercedes ;p But I think it cleaned up nice:

8151537334_d80a97d006_c.jpg

8151548356_dfee2610ff_c.jpg

8151521719_3baae94df3_c.jpg

A week of driving, and I'm really liking it. It's quite a bit different than my Grand Prix, and it's not the Camaro or Challenger I was toying with; so I'm still getting used to it. The ride is quite a bit more comfortable, which is nice - but that's something my passengers will care more about than I do. It's nice and roomy - I love that for about 80% of things now, I won't need to ask to borrow a friend or family member's truck. The high clearance is really nice; in early morning traffic it's really nice no longer having to hope the car in front of you is paying attention, as I can now see past them. Heated seats are really nice, though such an unnecessary luxury. It has the premium Infinity sound system with sub in the back - for OEM, it sounds pretty damn decent and has a fair amount of punch on the low end. It's actually surprisingly easy to park - after a full wheel rotation, it starts cutting closer as I assume it knows you're parking, which makes tight, slow turns much easier.

Someone earlier asked if it was the 3.7 or 4.0. Unfortunately, it's the 3.7 tied to a 4 speed. Considering I was looking at a six speed manual on other cars - yeah, it's pretty bad. It does occasionally have one of those "long shifts", and floor it and it takes a good second or two for it to rev all the way up and drop a gear. But for generally cruising, it's perfectly serviceable - and so long as it doesn't give me any problems, I'm happy.

Gas mileage is actually not *as* awful as I expected. I averaged 19.7 miles on my first tank, and am averaging 19.8 currently on my second tank. That's about 70% highway, and 30% city. Not great - but damn, my Grand Prix rarely exceeded about 20 mpg, anyway. I think this should be about the same. And the tank is the same size - 17 gallons - so it doesn't feel too much more painful at the pump.

Anyway, those are my impressions after a little less than a week. Hope it treats me well for a while.

Oh, and I love the paint color - my buddy called it "Original Xbox Green" and that's a really good way to describe it. It's dark, and at first sight most people assume it's black. But in bright sunlight, it's very obviously green. And I feel it's a color that could only be pulled off on a Jeep.

Circle T

It was car wash time for me as well yesterday. With winter quickly approaching, I wanted to get one last good, full wash in, and get her all protected for the impending elements. Spent almost 8 hours giving her the full "wash-clay-pollish-seal-wax" treatment, plus a full clean of the interior. Hard to see in the pic, as white doesn't show shine that well (and it was overcast), but it turned out really well. Even washing frequently, it's still amazing how much crap you pull from the paint when using clay bars. So satisfying, after a long day of cleaning, to run your hand over perfectly smooth, clean paint, with no crud embedded in it.

Next objective is to find a decent set of standard Z wheels to put some snow tires on. The stock "Track" wheels are in really good condition (for being 10yrs old), so I'd like to keep them that way. I don't plan on driving much, if at all, when it snows, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

hIGMu.jpg

4zBp5.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
^^^ Whew... eight hours? Dang. I clean my vehicle about once a week - takes me about an hour. And about three or four times a year, I do a "deep clean" but I'm lazy and it only takes me four hours or so. That usually involves a full-body claying and the easy seal/wax combo stuff. Does a good enough job, it seems - and creates a nice, sealed, smooth finish.

That said, I'm sure your paint job has to look freaking beautiful in person. :)

Anyone have any input on snow tires? Since my new ride is only RWD, I'm looking into maybe getting a set of four tires for the winter. It seems if I hunt real hard I should be able to snag a set of Blizzacks (sp?) for about $600. But I'm debating on spending more and getting something studded - how awful is the road noise, and does it really make a big difference? Comments in general?

Circle T

^^^ Whew... eight hours? Dang. I clean my vehicle about once a week - takes me about an hour. And about three or four times a year, I do a "deep clean" but I'm lazy and it only takes me four hours or so. That usually involves a full-body claying and the easy seal/wax combo stuff. Does a good enough job, it seems - and creates a nice, sealed, smooth finish.

That said, I'm sure your paint job has to look freaking beautiful in person. :)

Well, I had all day with nothing else to do, so this was 8 hours at about 50% speed. Case in point, just the wash took almost an hour. I like to take my time with this stuff, and make sure I get everything just right. Plus, it's kind of nice and cathartic to spend time doing this.

And yea, other than being 10yrs old, and having the requisite minor dings/nicks/scratches, the car looks great. Overall, the paint is still in really nice shape. Pike's Peak White looks like just bright white in pics, but it has a lot of pearl in it, and it really shimmers at times. It looks really nice when the light hits it just right. I really like it.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Jeep pics.

Nice jeep! I had zero interest in Jeeps or SUVs in general until my parents bought a Jeep Commander as the vehicle for our summer "everyone gets together" home. After a winter of driving it around while finishing my Masters, I had a hard time going back to a sporty coupe. The feeling of being able to go anywhere and do anything is extremely satisfying. Every 5 seconds I'd be thinking "hmmm I bet I could drive over/through that" and fighting the urge to just go barreling up some embankment and through a rough field.

N-Bomb

Anyone have any input on snow tires? Since my new ride is only RWD, I'm looking into maybe getting a set of four tires for the winter. It seems if I hunt real hard I should be able to snag a set of Blizzacks (sp?) for about $600. But I'm debating on spending more and getting something studded - how awful is the road noise, and does it really make a big difference? Comments in general?

Studded is only of some use on ice, in other conditions, it's marginal benefit and sometimes increases stopping distance.

Consider the Continental ExtremeWinterContact and Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for studless.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thoughts on this guy? I've always liked the A5 and I'm loving the look of the four door "sportback" version, which isn't even available in North America. There are some good deals to be had on this thing with relatively low miles and lots of features. Anyone driven one? Does it offer anything over an A4?

15b30d75c69dd3d39f38851a373628506905e85c.png

Thoughts on this guy? I've always liked the A5 and I'm loving the look of the four door "sportback" version, which isn't even available in North America. There are some good deals to be had on this thing with relatively low miles and lots of features. Anyone driven one? Does it offer anything over an A4?

15b30d75c69dd3d39f38851a373628506905e85c.png

Mad fucking style. One of the most beautiful cars ever made. The rear seats suffer due to the "four door coupe" design, but I think that's usually the only knock against the car. You'd essentially be buying a less utilitarian A6.

N-Bomb

I guess you skipped my text?

Anyways, here's a better shot in the day time.

i7SZS.jpg

No sir, I didn't - but if someone tells me 'They're Rota Grids', I'll know they're Volk TE-37 replicas.

bbs_chr_bpsl_ci3_l.jpg

Just asking because they look exactly like BBS CH-Rs.

VQ <3

My car looks like hell after the Hurricane. I was going to give it a full wash/detail this week but now that seems pointless with the snow storm starting tonight. :/

Still a good idea to wash the crap off - don't need to go hardcore, but a bit of soap and power wash can't hurt.

BTW: this is how I drove in to work this morning. :\
Vq7Wjl.jpg

ameratsu

So i may be buying a 99 integra gsr as a daily driver. it's in pretty good shape and has no mods other than an aftermarket stereo. going to the mechanic on friday, if it checks out i'll make an offer. wish me luck

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So i may be buying a 99 integra gsr as a daily driver. it's in pretty good shape and has no mods other than an aftermarket stereo. going to the mechanic on friday, if it checks out i'll make an offer. wish me luck

Good luck! Make sure to get steering wheel and pedal locks, a kill switch and an alarm. Integras are some of the easiest cars to steal.

ameratsu

Good luck! Make sure to get steering wheel and pedal locks, a kill switch and an alarm. Integras are some of the easiest cars to steal.

It has a 2-way alarm already, but if i buy it I plan on adding security measures for peace of mind. Integra theft in my local area isn't like it is in some parts of the states but those will still be on the top of my to do list.

N-Bomb

Boost gauge is finally in. Yay for shitty pics from my shitty android phone.

ak9Kll.jpg

Next step: change colour of gauge cluster illumination.

kharma45

Mad fucking style. One of the most beautiful cars ever made. The rear seats suffer due to the "four door coupe" design, but I think that's usually the only knock against the car. You'd essentially be buying a less utilitarian A6.

New A6 is a far, far nicer interior though and I actually think looks better, at least from the front anyway.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hopefully it loses a ton of weight. Base model currently weighs 1600 kg!

Edit: Miscalculated. Yeah, 3500lbs is a bit heavy, but that's the convertible which I don't care about. Waiting on the coupe, which should be plenty lighter. If the coupe is around 3200-3300lbs, then that's a win in my book.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hope so, but I don't imagine the savings to be huge given that the conv. has a fabric roof.

It will be a big weight saving, no doubt. For example...

911 Coupe: 3075lbs
911 Cabriolet: 3260lbs

S5 Coupe: 3858lbs
S5 Cabriolet: 4310lbs (!!!)

XKR Coupe: 3968lbs
XKR Convertible: 4079lbs

So, it's anywhere from 100-400lbs of weight savings depending on the car. Those are also all fabric roofs.

My guess (hope) is 3300-3400lbs for the V8 + manual. Which would make it plenty light for me.

It will be a big weight saving, no doubt. For example...

911 Coupe: 3075lbs
911 Cabriolet: 3260lbs

S5 Coupe: 3858lbs
S5 Cabriolet: 4310lbs (!!!)

XKR Coupe: 3968lbs
XKR Convertible: 4079lbs

So, it's anywhere from 100-400lbs of weight savings depending on the car. Those are also all fabric roofs.

My guess (hope) is 3300-3400lbs for the V8 + manual. Which would make it plenty light for me.

I don't get how it's so heavy in the first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom