• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I don't get how it's so heavy in the first place!

V6, loaded with gadgets, sound insulation, etc. Jaguar wants to deliver the luxury of a grand tourer with nimble performance. Think of it more as an E46 M3 than an E36 M3.

Iirc, the E46 M3 convertible weighed more than that.

EDIT: E46 M3 convertible weighs 3785lbs, so...

V6, loaded with gadgets, sound insulation, etc. Jaguar wants to deliver the luxury of a grand tourer with nimble performance. Think of it more as an E46 M3 than an E36 M3.

Iirc, the E46 M3 convertible weighed more than that.

EDIT: E46 M3 convertible weighs 3785lbs, so...

Boxster is pretty loaded with gadgets too aren't they? That's much lighter. Besides, the F-Type has an aluminium chassis, which should make it real light.

I can't see how much more gadgetry they could have put in there. With regards to sound insulation, it has a fabric roof!!

I'm pretty disappointed at the weight. Fingers crossed the coupe fixes this.

reilo

I don't know, it seems that the F-Type Coupe might be the closest thing to a E46 M3 we'll get.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Edit: Miscalculated. Yeah, 3500lbs is a bit heavy, but that's the convertible which I don't care about. Waiting on the coupe, which should be plenty lighter. If the coupe is around 3200-3300lbs, then that's a win in my book.

Yep.

People aren't going to be seeing sub-3000lb cars from luxury makes. The Jaguar F-Type at 3250lbs in coupe form is a lightweight, especially with the power it makes. My 370Z weighs the same, and with 400HP from the motor it's a Tasmanian devil. With the torque and power delivery of the Jaguar, that car will likely feel even more refined and sharp, no doubt about it.

Note that my 370Z weighs 3250lbs and has rather poor sound deadening and such. If it had that kind of refinement that Jaguar is putting into the F-Type, the Z would weigh 200lbs more.

Likewise, if the Jaguar F-Type had the meager amounts of sound deadening the 370Z has, it'd weigh no more than 3000lbs. But again, because this IS a luxury car, the additional weight definitely comes in from the refinement that goes into making this car a Jaaaaaag.

So for what it's going to offer, this Jag is a lightweight.

Ovid

So Alpha, I know you have a 370Z.

The gas stations where I live apparently only have Regular gas. Would it be okay to fill my G with regular while rationing is in place? What have you been doing?

ameratsu

Integra i'm considering buying checked out well at the mechanic. So i'm going to negotiate a price and buy. With any luck I will own it later today. Hope watching all those episodes of wheeler dealers will pay off :p

N-Bomb

Note to everyone - if your car needs premium (or higher) gas and there's a chance you won't be able to get it, consider keeping a bottle of octane booster in your trunk for these cases.

Not IDEAL, but good as temporary insurance until you can get back to civilization.

The NOS and Lucas products seem to work the best, of the easily-available brands.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

The gas stations where I live apparently only have Regular gas. Would it be okay to fill my G with regular while rationing is in place? What have you been doing?
As far as I know, Gs, Zs etc (all that use the VQ35 engine) can freely be filled with regular. Even on the gas tank it says just "use premium for best performance" not that it's mandatory. I'm 99.99% sure the engine has automatic knock adjustment that just lowers the compression a bit automatically when it detects regular so you lose a few HPs and that's it. I've been using regular for a long time in a car with VQ engine with no notable drawbacks whatsoever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As far as I know, Gs, Zs etc (all that use the VQ35 engine) can freely be filled with regular. Even on the gas tank it says just "use premium for best performance" not that it's mandatory. I'm 99.99% sure the engine has automatic knock adjustment that just lowers the compression a bit automatically when it detects regular so you lose a few HPs and that's it. I've been using regular for a long time in a car with VQ engine with no notable drawbacks whatsoever.
I've always heard the opposite with VQs, my wife will freak out if I tell her I put 87 in the G. Then again, I think the owner's manual tells you to use 93 and that isn't a thing in CA.

Circle T

The car's ECU will adjust ignition timing to compensate for knock, not compression. The compression of the engine is a static, mechanical number and can't be adjusted electronically.

Boost gauge is finally in. Yay for shitty pics from my shitty android phone.

ak9Kll.jpg

Next step: change colour of gauge cluster illumination.

did you remove your gauge cluster for the boost gauge install? isnt it a mechanical boost gauge?

AlphaSnake

Haven't driven the Z since. The weather's been awful anyway, so it usually stays in. You can use regular, but you'll have to really, REALLY drive the car slow. I can't use regular because my car is tuned for 93 only. I personally would try to drive out to CT or NJ to find some 91+ premium.

No drawbacks that you know of. In hotter weather, regular gas wrecks havoc inside the motors. Even knock sensors will scale back timing to prevent pinging, but it can only scale back to a finite degree (1-4) and so engine knock will still be occurring, you're just not aware of it. Furthermore, high compression motors will burn through cheap gas at a much, MUCH faster than rate premium - that is a fact. My Audi A6 3.0T is direct injected, with a supercharger - on premium it averages 26-27MPG without fail during a 10 mile drive to my fiance's house. Running on regular, it's struggling to achieve 21MPG, with traffic conditions being actually more lean since less people are on the roads. That's a massive difference and there is absolutely no money savings, either. You'll save $3 filling up regular, but at the expense of 5MPG you've lost 75 miles of driving (15 gallon fill up average). The combined city/hwy average of the Audi is just around 20MPG for us. 75 miles of driving is equal to almost 4 gallons of gasoline ($16).

So you do the math. You spend the extra $3 on premium and extend your driving by 75 miles (a value of $14-16), so filling up regular you end up losing over $10. My uncle filled up his G37 sedan with regular last week...drove 230 miles and the gas light is on. He says he'll easily do 260 miles before the light comes on. So there is some variation. But bottomline...VQs + regular? Poorer fuel efficiency and worst of all, loss of horsepower (dynos show 15WHP as a result of timing adjustment).

I've always heard the opposite with VQs, my wife will freak out if I tell her I put 87 in the G. Then again, I think the owner's manual tells you to use 93 and that isn't a thing in CA.

Owners manual says premium 91+.

Ovid

Haven't driven the Z since. The weather's been awful anyway, so it usually stays in. You can use regular, but you'll have to really, REALLY drive the car slow. I can't use regular because my car is tuned for 93 only. I personally would try to drive out to CT or NJ to find some 91+ premium.
She's still a baby (1300 miles), I hope there aren't long term effects.

The manual says fill the tank halfway if regular gasoline is being used. I think I'll do that.

N-Bomb

did you remove your gauge cluster for the boost gauge install? isnt it a mechanical boost gauge?

Yes. The way things are designed I can't get the top of the steering column shell off without the cluster and cluster surround out too.

MW6hrl.jpg

Clip

VKg1ml.jpg

hole made in cover <3 Dremel

It had to be rounded like that because this was mounted to the corner of the cover, and due to curvature, this is actually straight in three dimensions.

1UWQTl.jpg

Inside cover showing mounting of clip

3nCOAl.jpg

Cup mounted

No, it's an electronic gauge, but the response is VERY good. I'd say on par with mechanical. It had better be for what it cost!

Boost gauge is finally in. Yay for shitty pics from my shitty android phone.

ak9Kll.jpg

Next step: change colour of gauge cluster illumination.

Nice! I've had a set of Defi BF gauges in my last car, and I bought another set for my next one...

They are great quality bits (that look great).

N-Bomb

Nice! I've had a set of Defi BF gauges in my last car, and I bought another set for my next one...

They are great quality bits (that look great).

Totally. I would've gone with BF, but A) didn't want to deal with the 'brain', and B) I only needed the one gauge. Great option though if you want to run a bunch of different readouts.

Ovid

I GOT GAS!!!

I've never been so happy. It was Premium too :)

The only thing I feel bad about is that I had to purchase it from BP. I haven't bought gas from them in about 8 years. Oh well, it's only one time and I had no choice.

Some guy at work just bought a 67 Mustaaaaaaaaang, PHWOAR. 4.7l V8 225, not much to shout about but it's fine for UK roads.

Scared the nuts off of me, no seatbelts, damp roads, not particularly grippy tyres and slippery leather seats!

TylerD

Integra i'm considering buying checked out well at the mechanic. So i'm going to negotiate a price and buy. With any luck I will own it later today. Hope watching all those episodes of wheeler dealers will pay off :p

I hope you talk/talked like Mike too.

This is a fine motor you have here but there are some bits that need doin... proceed to ask 2k under price.

I am a Wheeler Dealers fiend.

I hope you talk/talked like Mike too.

This is a fine motor you have here but there are some bits that need doin... proceed to ask 2k under price.

I am a Wheeler Dealers fiend.

Probably one of the best shows on TV right now. Not a huge fan of Mike, Edd is where it's at. That dude can fix damn near anything.

Edit: And does anyone have any suggestions for some good automotive YouTube channels? I already subscribe to Drive, but I am looking for something similar to MightyCarMods (which has become my absolute favorite channel). Something where people modify/fix up cars while showing you the steps and keeping it entertaining.

TylerD

Probably one of the best shows on TV right now. Not a huge fan of Mike, Edd is where it's at. That dude can fix damn near anything.

Edit: And does anyone have any suggestions for some good automotive YouTube channels? I already subscribe to Drive, but I am looking for something similar to MightyCarMods (which has become my absolute favorite channel). Something where people modify/fix up cars while showing you the steps and keeping it entertaining.

Yeah Edd, the cars and the music are my favorite parts. Saw on Wikipedia that Mike has confirmed there will be another season in 2013.

Intro song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-03QuZBdiQ

Thanks to you I have another YouTube subscription and am going to burn through this work from home day. I leave after work to go to Austin for Formula 1. :D

AlphaSnake

Wheeler Dealers is a strangely enticing and addictive show. I love Edd too, he's awesome. I watched through every episode in about 2 weeks earlier on. Hahaha.

I subscribe to Motor Trend (Carlos Lago and Jessi Lang...Johnny Lieberman is a pitiful excuse for a critic), Drive (primarily for Chris Harris, the others are fuckawful), Jay Leno's Garage, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Top Gear, and Fifth Gear for now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, what's up with the high prices for Asian cars in Europe? I'm planning on going German for my next ride once we move, but I was curious about the prices on Asian cars and was surprised to see how HIGH they are.

A 2012 A6 2.0 TDI or 520d can be had for significantly less than, say, a loaded up Euro Accord (Acura TSX in the US). The Kia Optima? Even higher still. I can only imagine that the cost of importing vehicles in addition to taxes are responsible for the price jump but when I see those numbers it starts to make sense why Asian cars seem to be less popular in Europe.

reilo

I don't fucking car what some dipshits in Neogaf think when I have the opinion of folks who drive better cars than you or I will ever drive day in and day out.

You think you're that fucking smart? You think you know everything?

You're the worst type of idiot out there. Yeah, these guys drive MBs, Audis, Astons, BMWs, Infinitis, Acuras, Bugattis, Ferraris, Lambos day in and day out and you know what? I think I know more than them about cars. Whatever, bro.

People who think like this are the worst types of idiots.

GTFO of this thread if you're just going to troll.

I don't care if I get a ban because I'm doing you a life service by telling you that you're an idiot and someone needs to let you know.

lmao

Man, what's up with the high prices for Asian cars in Europe? I'm planning on going German for my next ride once we move, but I was curious about the prices on Asian cars and was surprised to see how HIGH they are.

A 2012 A6 2.0 TDI or 520d can be had for significantly less than, say, a loaded up Euro Accord (Acura TSX in the US). The Kia Optima? Even higher still. I can only imagine that the cost of importing vehicles in addition to taxes are responsible for the price jump but when I see those numbers it starts to make sense why Asian cars seem to be less popular in Europe.

What country is this? In Serbia, base spec BMW 520d is 42.000€, fully specced Accord 2.4 (Executive) is 33.400€.

Yeah Edd, the cars and the music are my favorite parts. Saw on Wikipedia that Mike has confirmed there will be another season in 2013.

Intro song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-03QuZBdiQ

Thanks to you I have another YouTube subscription and am going to burn through this work from home day. I leave after work to go to Austin for Formula 1. :D

It is a great channel. The guys know their stuff and they aren't above having a laugh. (Check out their Civic and Laser videos for some hilarity.) I just wish there were some other channels out there that do similar things. I have watched and rewatched pretty much all their videos and am craving more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What country is this? In Serbia, base spec BMW 520d is 42.000€, fully specced Accord 2.4 (Executive) is 33.400€.
I'm talking used prices. No way I'm buying new (the used prices for lower mileage cars are so much better).

This is in France and Germany, mainly.

cajunator

Banned
I GOT GAS!!!

I've never been so happy. It was Premium too :)

The only thing I feel bad about is that I had to purchase it from BP. I haven't bought gas from them in about 8 years. Oh well, it's only one time and I had no choice.

All the gas is the same.
The only thing bp does is add an additive at the loading rack when a fuel driver is loading.

robox

there's so much hate in autogaf.

a late 90s toyota tacoma caught my eye today. twas lifted and on dubs. i thought it looked pretty good.
then i thought how much you guys would hate it. <3

good to see a lot of Wheeler Dealer fans in here. I love that show.

there's so much hate in autogaf.

a late 90s toyota tacoma caught my eye today. twas lifted and on dubs. i thought it looked pretty good.
then i thought how much you guys would hate it. <3

It's basically Gaming-side gaf but with cars instead of games. That said, I love this thread even when I hate everyone in it. <3 u guys.

robox

for sure, melting pot car forums are a lot like melting pot gaming forums.
except worse, because there's way more money invested and much more need to justify the choices.

coldfoot

Banned
So the new Subie 2.0 turbo engine gets 0-60 of 6.7 seconds in the heavy Forester with a CVT.
Should be great news for BRZ/FRS when it comes out.

AlphaSnake

This thread is for babies compared to car forums.

Yep.

Car forums cater to a specific owner of a specific brand, so they're heavily biased and filled with dipshits who don't know a damn thing about their car or other cars in general. GAF clearly does not have an auto-based demographic so the diversity is different.

Then of course there are the heavily inclined and overly technical biased folk who will swear up and down on why the Mustang does not need IRS, and how it is superbly capable, etc etc etc. They'll go as far as drawing you charts and shit to back up their own delusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom