• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash_69

I just got back from getting 4 new tyres put on my 350z. HOLY SHIT. It has completely transformed the car (for the better).

I was previously on Bridgestone Potenza's which were bone shatteringly uncomfortable for almost anything other than A road and motorway driving. Luckily, I don't drive around town and through London that often but when I do, I felt about an inch shorter stepping out of the car through the harshness of the ride which I assumed was mainly down to the sporty damping.

How wrong I was. After reading some reviews and taking on numerous recommendations, I opted to purchase 4 Michelin Super Sports. They are obviously grippy which you would expect but they are so much more comfortable over cracked inner city roads, it's a damn near revelation. It hasn't turned into a Bentley obviously but it has brought it much closer to the levels of comfort of my focus with all the benefits of that POWWAAAAA.

Incredibly happy right now.

Lesson to be learned here, stay away from Bridgestone Potenza's unless you want to end up on a spinal board after each journey.

MisterNoisy

I was previously on Bridgestone Potenza's which were bone shatteringly uncomfortable for almost anything other than A road and motorway driving. Luckily, I don't drive around town and through London that often but when I do, I felt about an inch shorter stepping out of the car through the harshness of the ride which I assumed was mainly down to the sporty damping.

Good to hear - I can't stand the RE050As on my car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just got back from getting 4 new tyres put on my 350z. HOLY SHIT. It has completely transformed the car (for the better).

How wrong I was. After reading some reviews and taking on numerous recommendations, I opted to purchase 4 Michelin Super Sports. They are obviously grippy which you would expect but they are so much more comfortable over cracked inner city roads, it's a damn near revelation. It hasn't turned into a Bentley obviously but it has brought it much closer to the levels of comfort of my focus with all the benefits of that POWWAAAAA.

Incredibly happy right now.

Lesson to be learned here, stay away from Bridgestone Potenza's unless you want to end up on a spinal board after each journey.

I love the idea of running supercar tires on these 300-400HP coupes. It really does transform the car considerably.

I love my Super Sports.

AlphaSnake

This is the season of car commercials I hate.

Every fucking brand incorporates Santa Clause into their ads. Like, what the fuck? Be original you creative fuckwads. Who approves these crappy commercials to air? They should be fired.

ascii42

This is the season of car commercials I hate.

Every fucking brand incorporates Santa Clause into their ads. Like, what the fuck? Be original you creative fuckwads. Who approves these crappy commercials to air? They should be fired.

I agree, but I kind of wish I had a giant bow...

AlphaSnake

I agree, but I kind of wish I had a giant bow...

True story, when I bought the Jag they wanted to put a bow on it for my wife to see (Manhattan dealers like doing this).

I asked them not to...the fabric leaves swirl marks.

LMAO.

I told my wife later as we were driving home and she was like "oh thank God, unless it was a microfiber bow."

matmanx1

Thanks for the G37 opinions, I appreciate it. I don't necessarily need the Sedan but I almost lean that way just for practicality sake over the Coupe. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive one soon'ish.

Desavona

I have a dumb question.

So i bought an integra and just swapped out the thermostat. Lost a little coolant when taking it out so i'm going to have to replenish what was lost (<1 litre). I don't know what the previous owners put in; but apart from a few cars that take specialty green coolant (some mazdas), are green coolants otherwise interchangeable and mixable?

thanks

Just top it up with tap water if you want but as long as you don't change colours you should be ok.

AlphaSnake

Just top it up with tap water if you want but as long as you don't change colours you should be ok.

NO!

You should only use distilled water. Not spring water. Not tap water.

Distilled.

Poland Spring sells distilled water - they look exactly like their spring water gallons, but with a GREEN label on the top that says "Distilled"

ameratsu

NO!

You should only use distilled water. Not spring water. Not tap water.

Distilled.

Poland Spring sells distilled water - they look exactly like their spring water gallons, but with a GREEN label on the top that says "Distilled"

That or reverse osmosis water. Either will work and are close in terms of purity.

If I add pure water to my system without also adding coolant, it will raise the freezing point which is not okay in a climate as cold as mine.

Desavona

I have been putting tap water into performance/circuit cars for years and never had any issues mind you this is in Australia so things may be different in countries with more extreme climates and poorer quality water. Either way opinions are divided on tap vs distilled. Some say distilled can cause more corrosion especially with aluminium components some say tap causes more. It's really up to choice, convenience and quality of the local water really, if all else fails just buy premix. But for less than 1L of water I don't really see the big deal of topping it up with some tap water.

ascii42

I have been putting tap water into performance/circuit cars for years and never had any issues mind you this is in Australia so things may be different in countries with more extreme climates and poorer quality water. Either way opinions are divided on tap vs distilled. Some say distilled can cause more corrosion especially with aluminium components some say tap causes more. It's really up to choice, convenience and quality of the local water really, if all else fails just buy premix. But for less than 1L of water I don't really see the big deal of topping it up with some tap water.

Yeah, I always buy premix for this reason.

N-Bomb

There are chemicals in coolant to deal with the bs in tap water. Just change your damn coolant at the proper times and you'll be fine. You don't need to sperg out with fancy shit for your road car. (in this case)

ascii42

I want the Chevrolet Spark EV. Why? 400 foot pounds of torque. In a electric car that small.

That's Tesla Model S levels of torque. In something that dinky.

It could be awesome to drive.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080487_2014-chevy-spark-ev-prototype-electric-car-first-drive

Yeah, that should be fun. The Volt's engine is around 270 lb ft of torque, and it's pretty nice to drive.

According to the article, the new fast charge standard allows you to charge it to 80% capacity in 20 minutes. That's pretty good.

Nista

True story, when I bought the Jag they wanted to put a bow on it for my wife to see (Manhattan dealers like doing this).

I asked them not to...the fabric leaves swirl marks.

LMAO.

I told my wife later as we were driving home and she was like "oh thank God, unless it was a microfiber bow."

I'm with you on hating the holiday car commercials. Your wife sounds wholly sensible.

Though I find the mental picture of drying a car with a giant bow somewhat hilarious.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Yeah, that should be fun. The Volt's engine is around 270 lb ft of torque, and it's pretty nice to drive.

According to the article, the new fast charge standard allows you to charge it to 80% capacity in 20 minutes. That's pretty good.

GM is quoting a sub-8 second 0-60 time as en estimate. For comparison, the gas-powered Spark takes about 11.5 seconds, give or take.

I want to get one, modify the suspension, and troll the hell out of people at autocross competitions.

Ovid

Thanks for the G37 opinions, I appreciate it. I don't necessarily need the Sedan but I almost lean that way just for practicality sake over the Coupe. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive one soon'ish.
Get it. I bought one over the summer and it's fantastic. City MPG suck but I don't give a shit.

Who gets a G for fuel economy ;-)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Alpha look what I found at work.

img00751-20121105-035s5aes.jpg
Bask it it's glory motherfucker. *Pets 350z*

Why doesn't this car have back seats for fucks sake.

Kill me now please, grab the glock Alpha, pull the trigger.

Ovid

You an SUV/truck man then?
I never drove a SUV/truck.

I'm more of a sedan guy. I like coupes though.

I was going to get the G37 coupe but you guys said that there really wasn't a difference between the coupe and the sedan.

Went with the sedan. Cheaper and more practical with friends and family.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Besides, who fucks in a car anymore? Are you still in highschool/college?

I guess people who mod their cars are statistically more likely to be in some sort of accident.

I was actually amused at how low the increase was... My mistake for not being clearer. Adding bits to your car here is usually a quick way to jack up your premium costs, easier to just get a faster standard car!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It seems like I'm in the position to get a car. I'm thinking $6-9,000 USD, possibly more, in the Los Angeles area.

I currently drive a hatchback Toyota Yaris and really like the rear space and small footprint.
I'd like something reliable with good mileage and don't need many features.

Thoughts?

It seems like I'm in the position to get a car. I'm thinking $6-9,000 USD, possibly more, in the Los Angeles area.

I currently drive a hatchback Toyota Yaris and really like the rear space and small footprint.

Thoughts?

Keep the Yaris? lol.

ascii42

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you could get that would be better. You've already got something reliable with good mileage and without many features. I'd just keep saving.

Enron

Banned

Thoughts?

Keep the Yaris and save more money until you've got enough that a 15k-20k car becomes within reach. You'll have a lot more options there.

I'm home for the weekend from my field work location. My turbo brick had a vacuum leak so I didn't want to put the 900 miles of driving on it this weekend so I decided to expense a rental instead. I also decided I'd get something a little nicer because there's nothing worse than going from euro mid-luxury to domestic sub-compact.

Turns out that one place nearby had a 2013 Cadillac ATS for $70/day. Why not?

For Huge said:

It's the 2.5L with AWD, with a full leather interior. The interior is nice, to be sure, and some of the gadgets are kind of neat (the way the console flips up and down on its own at a touch is rad) but I maintain that infotainment screens are the wrong way to go. It works, but it takes more time than buttons and dials, requires more attention and you're not always sure that the screen has recognized a button press. Same thing with the way the console flips up at a touch, I'm never quite sure if I've put my finger on the right spot so I'd much rather have a physical button to push and lift the thing up.

Blah blah interior, it's a Cadillac it's nice, quiet and comfortable.

But the steering wheel is straight up in the wrong spot. I'd say it's a good 2-3" off center to the left of the center of the seat. Having both hands on the wheel gave me pains in my left shoulder from being pushed into the seat bolster slightly more than necessary. I also found I had to keep my head cocked a little bit to the right all the time, as if you try to hold your body straight between the seat and the wheel you're looking about 5-10 degrees off to the side of the road. It's a thin car so I can see that they needed to keep the seats towards the center but fuck, move the steering wheel in, I won't miss the 2" of leather console that you'd have to sacrifice. I did get used to it after a few hours but there's no reason for it and I find it nonsensical.

Anyway, the suspension is firm, but not quite 3-series firm or responsive. It's definitely good but I didn't have a ton of confidence with it (I was still adjusting to the steering wheel though while going through the twisty portion of my drive). I mostly have done highway with it and I think it's perfect there. It even handled potholes in Cleveland fairly well without feeling like it was sacrificing handling.

The 2.5L is just the wrong engine for the car. 202hp and 170lb-ft in 3400lbs isn't bad, as I never had problems passing people and the transmission actually does a fantastic job getting power down, it's just that it's the wrong sound, the wrong feel, and too high-strung for a luxury car. If the 2.0 turbo has more torque it's absolutely the better choice. The automatic transmission feels fantastic, though, shifts are quick and smooth. It's the first slush-box automatic with manual select that I actually liked the action on gear selection.

All in all It's a sexy fucking car and I've enjoyed driving it but I can't think of a reason to buy one over a 3-series outside of cost. Well, I take that back, I think the interior is more nicely appointed in a base ATS than a base 3.

Final point: First car I've driven with auto-dimming side mirrors. How I'll be able to go back to normal mirrors I do not know.

Edit: Oh, one other thing. I'm not entirely sure that the steering wheel in this car is attached to anything. I guess the car does turn when I move the wheel back and forth but beyond that I'm not convinced that there isn't a little man somewhere in the engine bay turning the car for me. I feel like Maggie in the Simpson's intro.

Culex

Banned
I'm home for the weekend from my field work location. My turbo brick had a vacuum leak so I didn't want to put the 900 miles of driving on it this weekend so I decided to expense a rental instead. I also decided I'd get something a little nicer because there's nothing worse than going from euro mid-luxury to domestic sub-compact.

Turns out that one place nearby had a 2013 Cadillac ATS for $70/day. Why not?

It's the 2.5L with AWD, with a full leather interior. The interior is nice, to be sure, and some of the gadgets are kind of neat (the way the console flips up and down on its own at a touch is rad) but I maintain that infotainment screens are the wrong way to go. It works, but it takes more time than buttons and dials, requires more attention and you're not always sure that the screen has recognized a button press. Same thing with the way the console flips up at a touch, I'm never quite sure if I've put my finger on the right spot so I'd much rather have a physical button to push and lift the thing up.

Blah blah interior, it's a Cadillac it's nice, quiet and comfortable.

But the steering wheel is straight up in the wrong spot. I'd say it's a good 2-3" off center to the left of the center of the seat. Having both hands on the wheel gave me pains in my left shoulder from being pushed into the seat bolster slightly more than necessary. I also found I had to keep my head cocked a little bit to the right all the time, as if you try to hold your body straight between the seat and the wheel you're looking about 5-10 degrees off to the side of the road. It's a thin car so I can see that they needed to keep the seats towards the center but fuck, move the steering wheel in, I won't miss the 2" of leather console that you'd have to sacrifice. I did get used to it after a few hours but there's no reason for it and I find it nonsensical.

Anyway, the suspension is firm, but not quite 3-series firm or responsive. It's definitely good but I didn't have a ton of confidence with it (I was still adjusting to the steering wheel though while going through the twisty portion of my drive). I mostly have done highway with it and I think it's perfect there. It even handled potholes in Cleveland fairly well without feeling like it was sacrificing handling.

The 2.5L is just the wrong engine for the car. 202hp and 170lb-ft in 3400lbs isn't bad, as I never had problems passing people and the transmission actually does a fantastic job getting power down, it's just that it's the wrong sound, the wrong feel, and too high-strung for a luxury car. If the 2.0 turbo has more torque it's absolutely the better choice. The automatic transmission feels fantastic, though, shifts are quick and smooth. It's the first slush-box automatic with manual select that I actually liked the action on gear selection.

All in all It's a sexy fucking car and I've enjoyed driving it but I can't think of a reason to buy one over a 3-series outside of cost. Well, I take that back, I think the interior is more nicely appointed in a base ATS than a base 3.

Final point: First car I've driven with auto-dimming side mirrors. How I'll be able to go back to normal mirrors I do not know.

Edit: Oh, one other thing. I'm not entirely sure that the steering wheel in this car is attached to anything. I guess the car does turn when I move the wheel back and forth but beyond that I'm not convinced that there isn't a little man somewhere in the engine bay turning the car for me. I feel like Maggie in the Simpson's intro.

Looks like a nice car. It has the same AWD that my Saab does, too.

ascii42

I didn't notice the issue with the steering wheel position when I drove the ATS, but I didn't spend that much time in it. I've driven the 2.5L and the 3.6L. As you said, the 2.5 works, but doesn't really belong in the car. The 3.6 is sweet in the ATS. I'm pretty sure the ATS is the lighest car you can get it in.

The base ATS actually has a more normal interface for the radio instead of the touchscreen. I still think I'd get one with a touchscreen anyway. One thing I like that they did was the haptic feedback. It's a much better way of letting you know your touch was recognized than the annoying beep that my Riviera does, though at least I can turn that off.

The ATS is pretty price competitive when compared to the 3-series. I'd say it's got a bigger problem if you start comparing it to its bigger brother, the XTS. The 3.6L I drove was around $43k and that didn't have MRC. The XTS starts at $45k, and has the same V6 and comes with MRC. You basically get all the same stuff, and a much bigger car, for about the same price. Though obviously it's not going to drive as well. I read that something like 70% of ATS buyers are coming from outside Cadillac. It doesn't really surprise me. Most traditional Cadillac owners are going to step up to the XTS.

Yeah...electric power steering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom