• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

So i was behind a 2006'ish WRX and when the light turned green, the car turned into a rocket ship. Made this LOUD high pitch whistle-like noise (didn't sound like a blow off valve) the entire time he accelerated. Easily 4.0-60mph fast.

What the hell did i witness?

I think you may have been following Bubb Rubb ;)

coldfoot

Banned
So i was behind a 2006'ish WRX and when the light turned green, the car turned into a rocket ship. Made this LOUD high pitch whistle-like noise (didn't sound like a blow off valve) the entire time he accelerated. Easily 4.0-60mph fast.

What the hell did i witness?

If it's not BOV (real or fake), I'll say it blew its transmission and the owner put a more heavy duty gearbox in it with straight cut gears in it where every gear whines like reverse in a manual transmission car.

paskowitz

I actually do NOT like the new Fusion at all. It is proportionally wrong. The front end is too bulky, the rear end has the generic Mondeo shape with a tall trunk line that obstructs view considerably.

The front and rear of the car simply do not match up - they look like two different cars.

I completely disagree. It is amazing in white or black. The front is bigger than I thought, ut not terrible IMO.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You must be joking cos the taurus is pretty ugly.

The Taurus suffers from the EXACT same aesthetic problems as the Fusion. Nice looking front end, hideous and completely unfitting rear end.

I have no idea what Ford's designers are thinking of when they do this shit.

Halvie

Banned
If it's not BOV (real or fake), I'll say it blew its transmission and the owner put a more heavy duty gearbox in it with straight cut gears in it where every gear whines like reverse in a manual transmission car.

Why would it be his bov while he was accelerating? Turbo spool?.

Skunkers

Why would it be his bov while he was accelerating? Turbo spool?.

Former WRX owner, it was probably just an bigger turbo but with a bell mouth 4" downpipe. A bigger downpipe is one of the most important mods, and it *really* opens up the sound of the turbo. I had one with a stealthback exhaust and Accessport (4 inch downpipe, 3 inch exhaust, stock catback, remapped ECU), and my exhaust sounded the same as stock (no aftermarket Subaru "wubble"), but the turbo whistle was WAY louder. That could be all he had but I'm assuming a bigger turbo as well, if it was as fast as you say.

Probably not transmission whine, as that's pretty easy to distinguish from the whistle of a turbo.

I'm rather frustrated with my '97 Outback. About 2 months ago, I got a gas leak on the filler neck, got it fixed, but when I filled it up again, it started leaking again for a short while, then it stopped. I thought I might've overfilled the tank or something, but a month later, I filled it up again, and now it's still leaking. I'm taking it to the mechanic who fixed it in the first place on Wednesday. It's not leaking too much, since it's been 2 days and I'm still reading nearly full.

N-Bomb

Former WRX owner, it was probably just an bigger turbo but with a bell mouth 4" downpipe. A bigger downpipe is one of the most important mods, and it *really* opens up the sound of the turbo. I had one with a stealthback exhaust and Accessport (4 inch downpipe, 3 inch exhaust, stock catback, remapped ECU), and my exhaust sounded the same as stock (no aftermarket Subaru "wubble"), but the turbo whistle was WAY louder. That could be all he had but I'm assuming a bigger turbo as well, if it was as fast as you say.

Probably not transmission whine, as that's pretty easy to distinguish from the whistle of a turbo.

He might've done the snorkus delete, could have a boost leak off the uppipe... combo of things.

Not a BOV, that only makes a sound on shifts or letting off.

Drug dealers rejoice.

make-it-rain-arab.gif

Skunkers

He might've done the snorkus delete, could have a boost leak off the uppipe... combo of things.

Not a BOV, that only makes a sound on shifts or letting off.

It certainly could be. I don't think I've ever heard one with a leaky uppipe, so I don't know how that sounds (I imagine really loud). The snorkus delete makes the turbo sound louder, but not nearly as much as downpipe/exhaust mods, especially as heard from the rear. I've known plenty of guys with upgraded turbos and exhausts, and the turbo noise is often just as OP described. I think it's the most likely explanation, but there are other explanations, like yours, that would make sense too.

TylerD

went to look at a second used car from craigslist, a 98 windstar with starter issues for 500 obo. Shoulda known the engine was most likely blown, sounded like tin cans in the short time it ran on starter fluid lol. Never understand how people can neglect proper maintenance on their cars, how hard is it to check oil, water and other fluids?

My parents bought a 95 Windstar when they first came out and to be honest even with proper maintenance and upkeep it had so many problems. I think it went through 2 transmissions, head gaskets multiple times, fouled spark plugs like crazy.

Windstar is pretty notorious for drivetrain issues.

Culex

Banned
It certainly could be. I don't think I've ever heard one with a leaky uppipe, so I don't know how that sounds (I imagine really loud). The snorkus delete makes the turbo sound louder, but not nearly as much as downpipe/exhaust mods, especially as heard from the rear. I've known plenty of guys with upgraded turbos and exhausts, and the turbo noise is often just as OP described. I think it's the most likely explanation, but there are other explanations, like yours, that would make sense too.

The best example of the sound that I can think of is a 747 taxiing on the runway with the turbines running.

N-Bomb

The best example of the sound that I can think of is a 747 taxiing on the runway with the turbines running.

Now that I think about it, could be overboosting/boost creeping? My boost will spike past 25psi sometimes if I'm not careful (I thought it was tuned for 18), according to my boost new gauge.

When it gets over 20ish, I start hearing this whine/scream... maybe he's doing something nuts along those lines intentionally?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The color reminds me of a famous german detergent called "Pril", the color is known als "Prilblau" aka pril blue here.
historie_1959.jpg

So because my boss won't pay me my paycheck, I am faced with a lein on my mr2 turbo, the body shop said they are going to put one on the car monday..

The made the front end look so nice too, I didn't think they were going to get it straight.. But I may never get to see the car again.

And about that wrx whine, there are a number of people tossing superchargers on subarus now..

Smokey

i don't know what looks worse:

a convertible pt cruiser

or

convertible nissan murano

i saw both today with the top down and i honestly could not choose

LowerLevel

a convertible pt cruiser

or

Sorry, I'm a chronic lurker, but I MUST say the Murano. I saw one yesterday myself and was completely appalled! That thing is horrendous!

Ok, back to lurking...

N-Bomb

So because my boss won't pay me my paycheck, I am faced with a lein on my mr2 turbo, the body shop said they are going to put one on the car monday..

The made the front end look so nice too, I didn't think they were going to get it straight.. But I may never get to see the car again.

And about that wrx whine, there are a number of people tossing superchargers on subarus now..

Is there some reason he's not paying you?

N-Bomb

a convertible pt cruiser

or

What kills you more, cancer or lead poisoning?

(yes, I forgot about my previous post. Some mod wanna combine them for me, be my guest!)

There is no legitimate reason he isn't paying me, he just keeps saying he will. And I am going to lose my car monday if he doesn't, its been a month since he's paid me, and a week and a half since my car has been ready

cajunator

Banned
I actually do NOT like the new Fusion at all. It is proportionally wrong. The front end is too bulky, the rear end has the generic Mondeo shape with a tall trunk line that obstructs view considerably.

The front and rear of the car simply do not match up - they look like two different cars.

I have a 2010 Fusion and I honestly prefer the style over the new one.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
There is no legitimate reason he isn't paying me, he just keeps saying he will. And I am going to lose my car monday if he doesn't, its been a month since he's paid me, and a week and a half since my car has been ready

Lawyer up.

N-Bomb

Yep. Don't be passive. Tell him your situation, and that if you don't get paid by tomorrow, you'll be suing for the back pay and the cost of the car if you lose it. This is not on you. (although I hope you don't go driving without insurance again)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yep. Don't be passive. Tell him your situation, and that if you don't get paid by tomorrow, you'll be suing for the back pay and the cost of the car if you lose it. This is not on you. (although I hope you don't go driving without insurance again)

... and lawyer fees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom