• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

Getting my new car in a couple weeks, any suggestions/recommendations on car washing and detailing supplies?

When i got my new Dodge earlier this year I started using this from recomendations online:
41hBLRT-mKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This stuff conditions leather, vinyl and plastic inside while cleaning it very well and doesnt leave that oily residue on leather and plastic. Even removed a small coffee stain I got on one of the seats.

My wife used it on her 8 year old Explorer and we were amazed how clean it got her leather interior.

N-Bomb

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It does look rather striking...much better than the softer Porsches of the past decade.

If this Porsche hater can be turned around, I'd say they're doing a bang-up job with them.

I think for the first time it looks like a classically designed coupe, rather than a stark evolution of a Beetle.

coldfoot

Banned
XFR-S is nice, but I really think the 50-55k NA V8 Premium (soon to be discontinued) is the sweet spot for that car over a 100K XFR-S

reilo

If you've been saving up pennies to buy a Tesla Model S, you're going to need a bigger piggybank. The California automaker has just announced the price will be going up by $2,500 for US customers ($2,600 in Canada). That comes out to $59,900 for the base version with the 40 kWh battery and $94,400 for the top end Model S Performance with the 85 kWh pack.

lol.

grendelrt

Brilliant. They fixed all of the little nagging things I didn't like about the original Cayman and gave it a bit of a meaner/edgier look. The front looks almost F430-esque -- which is a compliment.

Great job by Porsche.

Yum:

p120470.jpg

I was of the opinion to only ever consider a proper 911 if I were to get a Porsche, but considering my budget for my next car, I'll definitely have to try this one out.

I thought the same exact thing with the front end, love it. May have to keep an eye out for this one when I retire the M3 :O

reilo

I'm really liking the new Cayman over the old, but I still think the 997 looks a ton better than the 991. Win some, lose some.

I actually agree. The 997 has some of the issues I had with the old Cayman. I can't really describe, it just feels off.

Actually, the best summation I have is that the front-bumper on the 997 is... wrong? The Cayman S has a much better and more aggressive front-end.

Porsche-991-and-997-front-three-quarter.jpg

The fog lights on the bumper throws it off with its asymmetry, whereas the Cayman has that nice single round bulb that feels more integrated and aggressive. Not to mention the aggressive line along the side that flows nicely into the gill on the fender.

matmanx1

I think I'm one of the few that actually prefers the softer looking Porsche's of the 997/987 era over the new 991/981. I think that in 25 years the former will still look good and classic and the latter will suffer some of the 993/996 syndrome and look like a child their era and not so classic. Time will tell, though.

I've liked every iteration of the Cayman to date, the latest being the sexiest.

I've only liked the 997 and 991 as far as the 911 is concerned.

If Porsche flipped the prices on the Boxster and Cayman they would make even more bank than they already do.

I also can't wait to see the 991 Turbo. The 997 Turbo (S) is ridiculous.

mr2xxx

Banned
Gotta agree that Jag is ugly. For one that color isn't doing it any favors, two the design looks kinda generic. You could say this is some new GM car like the Pontiac GTO and I wouldn't doubt you. Jags are supposed to be a little more elegant than that, this has a gaudy blue with carbon fibre wing. The new Porsche though looks sexy as hell.

reilo

Never understood color complaints except in the case of a good color being discontinued (COME BACK TO US SPRINT BLUE DO IT AUDI). In other words, get a different color?

Ehh. 991 >>>>>>>>>>>> 997

I'm an old-style Porsche guy and the 991's proportions are way too "mid-engine coupe" for my taste. However, looking at specific parts of the car I think the 991 is generally better put together, aesthetically.

The nose is really what gets me, it's up-turned for pedestrian safety and it ruins the front end of the car for me.

Gotta agree that Jag is ugly. For one that color isn't doing it any favors, two the design looks kinda generic. You could say this is some new GM car like the Pontiac GTO and I wouldn't doubt you. Jags are supposed to be a little more elegant than that, this has a gaudy blue with carbon fibre wing. The new Porsche though looks sexy as hell.

....what? I guess I am surprised as I think it is one of the best looking Jags in a long time. And I honestly don't normally like Jags.

Jaaaaaag.

N-Bomb

I'm an old-style Porsche guy and the 991's proportions are way too "mid-engine coupe" for my taste. However, looking at specific parts of the car I think the 991 is generally better put together, aesthetically.

The nose is really what gets me, it's up-turned for pedestrian safety and it ruins the front end of the car for me.

The 993 is the last Porsche design that I really liked. (on the 911)

coldfoot

Banned
That wing is a $3500 option, it's literally an idiot tax and the easiest $3500 that you will save.
Here's some shots from the online configurator in a better color and the stock spoiler.

ibolL6mPKMRmWD.png

iJXiGZHalh2Lp.png

reilo

That's barely a wing -- more like a lip. It's also small enough that if you molded it to the trunk it would look even better.

Like the M3:

2030228.002.1M.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Talk dirty to me you filthy, filthy car.

Jaguar is going to start cornering these little markets that enthusiasts go ape shit over. The mid-size luxury market is their's to win, critically and in sales. The premium luxury market, likewise, is their's for the taking.

With the release of the F-Type, they will dominate the sports coupe segment in the three pricing categories where it will compete against the Porsche Cayman/Boxster and even 911. Likewise, the F-Type will steal potential BMW Z4 and Audi TT candidates with the entry level and mid-level SC V6.

The moves Jaguar is taking are very bold, but it's exactly what the company needed to be reborn. And with a crossover coming out in 18 months...watch out.

coldfoot

Banned
With the release of the F-Type, they will dominate the sports coupe segment in the three pricing categories where it will compete against the Porsche Cayman/Boxster and even 911. Likewise, the F-Type will steal potential BMW Z4 and Audi TT candidates with the entry level and mid-level SC V6.
I doubt it'll be a legit competition to the booster/cayman as those cars are in a different level of driving dynamics and it'll be very hard to match them with a front engine. I'd have an F-type any day over a Z4/SLK/TT though...

reilo

Talk dirty to me you filthy, filthy car.

Jaguar is going to start cornering these little markets that enthusiasts go ape shit over. The mid-size luxury market is their's to win, critically and in sales. The premium luxury market, likewise, is their's for the taking.

The moves Jaguar is taking are very bold, but it's exactly what the company needed to be reborn. And with a crossover coming out in 18 months...watch out.

Answer my emails you jerk.

The 993 is the last Porsche design that I really liked. (on the 911)

See, I never really cared for the 993. The 964 was better but the last of the air-cooled that I really loved was the late '80s 911s. To me the 993 was just a little too rounded off without having a real design ethos.

I'm probably going to get shot for this, but I think the 996 is much better looking than the 993 from most angles, i.e., any angle where you can't see the fried-egg headlights.

Edit: Just so people don't feel like hurting me, have some high-def Volkswagens on low suspensions pretending to be rally-cars. http://youtu.be/aWluvMJ9L-E

I don't think the F-Type is going to be taking much of the market share away from Cayman/Boxster owners. Very strange match-up indeed.

N-Bomb

See, I never really cared for the 993. The 964 was better but the last of the air-cooled that I really loved was the late '80s 911s. To me the 993 was just a little too rounded off without having a real design ethos.

I'm probably going to get shot for this, but I think the 996 is much better looking than the 993 from most angles, i.e., any angle where you can't see the fried-egg headlights.

I guess you'd need to stick with the Turbo, in that case.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Jaguar has pegged the F-Type as a Porsche competitor from day one. Their sights are set squarely on Porsche owners.

Sorry to jump into all this awesome talk with awesome cars, but I've got a question about some really low budget problems - Headlight restoration, the ones with the cloudy colouring stuff? Has anyone done them? What's the best option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom