• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

Wow, I didn't realize the curb weight on the Fiesta is under 2500 lbs. That is a seriously surprising amount of power for that much car. I'll say now, though, that if the car doesn't have a LSD it's going to be a waste.

It does. I found this while searching around the web:
Ling mentioned that the same torque vectoring control system technology in the Focus ST will be at work in the upcoming hot Fiesta. The torque vectoring control system uses a combination of an electronic limited slip differential which uses the brakes to slow the inside wheel in a corner, and a electronic steering system which eliminates torque steer. Ford developed this system and the car’s suspension on the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

TylerD

Took 3 months and about 4k miles to get my first service engine soon light. Ran the code and it looks like a possible problem with the thermostat, or one of several coolant temp sensors or the fan... Going to do some troubleshooting and may just end up ordering a complete cooling system overhaul kit since it is pretty much that time.

Yay!

matmanx1

Took 3 months and about 4k miles to get my first service engine soon light. Ran the code and it looks like a possible problem with the thermostat, or one of several coolant temp sensors or the fan... Going to do some troubleshooting and may just end up ordering a complete cooling system overhaul kit since it is pretty much that time.

Yay!

Doh! Well, cars can be fun like that sometimes. Good luck!

ascii42

I read that as "We made it faster by eliminating tactile feedback through the steering wheel!"

I think I need to drive a car with really good electronic power steering. The only cars I've driven with it would probably have been ho-hum performers anyway.

Well, you've driven the Cadillac ATS. I'm not sure what car with electric power steering is more performance oriented. I would actually hope there are none.

Buick's got some front suspension setup that's supposed to reduce torque steer. I'm curious how well that works. The Regal GS at least is supposed to drive nicely.

Well, you've driven the Cadillac ATS. I'm not sure what car with electric power steering is more performance oriented. I would actually hope there are none.

Buick's got some front suspension setup that's supposed to reduce torque steer. I'm curious how well that works. The Regal GS at least is supposed to drive nicely.

Well, the new 911 has EPS so I'm thinking that'd be a benchmark. Unfortunately the local Enterprise Rental doesn't have many of those...

I'm curious about that too, I haven't driven a car with the suspension links modified to handle torque steer. I think it's turned up a few times on Top Gear and it hasn't appeared to work very well. Anyone driven a car with it?

ascii42

my brothers army friend came down for thanksgiving in the sti he just got, an 06, halfway to a stage 2 tune. Holy fuck never felt that kind of acceleration, and that turbo blowoff and the rumble of that exaust. Makes me wish I could have a vehicle converted for a wheelchair user that is that much fun. Makes my 92 econoline with that 145hp 4.9 i6 look and feel like a damn boring box haha

Are you pretty much stuck with vans and minivans?

matmanx1

yea, dont currently drive, my brother drives me around, so just me in the front passenger seat and my electric wheelchair loaded in separately. Fond of the econolines for space alone, plus this guy on youtube supercharged his v8 and drags it from his wheelchair lol. Just sucks being a huge automobile enthusiast and not being able to drive without thousands of dollars for a converted truck or van

I hear ya but I'd like to think that where there's a dream and a will there's a way. Don't give up!

Yep. Don't be passive. Tell him your situation, and that if you don't get paid by tomorrow, you'll be suing for the back pay and the cost of the car if you lose it. This is not on you. (although I hope you don't go driving without insurance again)

Yea I talked to him and he finally got to paying me, I have the car now luckily, but now its about dealing with my landlords and paying owed rent...

car looks great, but now theres a number of small problems with it that I am going to go through and smoothen out and then take pictures, also gotta clean it.

I might just look into selling it and buying something more practical, then focus my modding efforts on the GC Impreza. I really really love the car though.

Yea I talked to him and he finally got to paying me, I have the car now luckily, but now its about dealing with my landlords and paying owed rent...

car looks great, but now theres a number of small problems with it that I am going to go through and smoothen out and then take pictures, also gotta clean it.

I might just look into selling it and buying something more practical, then focus my modding efforts on the GC Impreza. I really really love the car though.

If rent is becoming an issue this is probably your best bet, sorry. CarGAF comes second to NotHomelessGAF.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What do you guys think of this? I didn't even realize it existed but I'm really liking the look. Seriously considering one of these.

DSC_4223.jpg

N-Bomb

Dear GAF...it is beginning.

WOT Auto is getting ready to launch its full page. Check out our FB page on what to expect.

https://www.facebook.com/WotAuto

Grats, dude.

Not my place to say, but do you need two cars? GC couldn't be a DD for you?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It looks so much better without the tacky chrome. Even with the wing!

Omg Alpha, I just had coffee. I don't drink coffee.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

You do now, friend. You do now.

First it's coffee.

Then it's Red Bulls.

Then it's cocaine.

Then it's /tag quote

Have you seen the 'black pack' on normal Jags? It's the same thing. Black trim apparently costs £775 more than chrome trim!

Am glad there's a second wing option on the XFR-S though. Still don't like the wheels.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
... and lawyer fees!

In reality, putting a lien on a car isn't the same thing as reposessing it. It takes a bit longer than that to actually get the Sheriff to come levy a car.

AlphaSnake

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
if i win the powerball. im buying an aventador j. and ill install a nice ass speaker system.

that is all. have a good day.

AlphaSnake

0-60 in 4.4s, which makes me go hrmm, and thinking they are underrepresenting it.

Yeah, they're definitely being conservative with that figure. That number is definitely traction limited, if anything. It should easily go toe-to-toe with the M5.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Porsche released an official video of it.............looks a lot better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kqOxyLc4Kc&feature=g-u

Brilliant. They fixed all of the little nagging things I didn't like about the original Cayman and gave it a bit of a meaner/edgier look. The front looks almost F430-esque -- which is a compliment.

Great job by Porsche.

Yum:

p120470.jpg

I was of the opinion to only ever consider a proper 911 if I were to get a Porsche, but considering my budget for my next car, I'll definitely have to try this one out.

AlphaSnake

It does look rather striking...much better than the softer Porsches of the past decade.

If this Porsche hater can be turned around, I'd say they're doing a bang-up job with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom