• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaguar has pegged the F-Type as a Porsche competitor from day one. Their sights are set squarely on Porsche owners.

I know they have, but I've heard that story pushed for pretty much any sports coupé above $35,000. Besides that, it's priced in between the Boxster/Cayman brothers and the 911 so I bet they're aiming for buyers in that range there. So not a direct competitor, but definitely trying to squeeze into the market in the gap Porsche's left there.

I bet that, if it's going to pull buyers from another company, it's going to be BMW or Audi.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Headlight restoration almost always will require a professional wet sand from a detailer. Hop on a detailing forum and find one in your area.

TylerD

Took advantage of the beautiful weather today.

iA5UbuTv79hTC.jpg

Kambing

Okay so i was wondering,

If you had 100-150k to spend on a car, which car would satisfy you in the "sports car" category? I personally am thinking that it would be the Nissan GTR, but am curious what others might think. Sorry if kind of OT, did not want to make a thread.

And to the above, nice shot.

Okay so i was wondering,

If you had 100-150k to spend on a car, which car would satisfy you in the "sports car" category? I personally am thinking that it would be the Nissan GTR, but am curious what others might think. Sorry if kind of OT, did not want to make a thread.

Sure. GT-R, 911, R8, ZR1, would all be top choices in that price range.

There's lot of other stuff out there too of course. The new Viper, a GranTurismo, et al.

I'd go for the 911 personally, and am planning on it being my next car.

ascii42

Okay so i was wondering,

ZR1, if we are talking about pure sports car.

If I had that kind of money and wanted something with performance, I'd learn towards one of the high performance 4 doors, if I could, like the Quattroporte or BMW 650i Gran Coupe (or M6 Gran Coupe when they make it)

cube444

Pricey mods coming next spring. Full suspension swap including adding toe arms and asjutable end links. Will also be removing the open diff for a LSD one.

A tune will be the last thing done to the car.

Miroku

Okay so i was wondering,

GTR is supremely fast but you'll have more fun sliding around in a 911 GT3. They're the best!

Okay so i was wondering,

A really well equipped Carrera S without a second thought. I don't see anything else in that price range offering the same level of performance, refinement and quality in one package. Maybe the R8, but I'm just not a fan of that car's looks.

Kambing

Thanks a lot guys.

I will definitely be checking out the Porsche and ZR1. I feel like the R8 is too showy haha... =(
The thing i like about the GTR is the fact that it feels like an underdog on the road you know, which sounds kind of stupid given 60mph speed limits here in the bay area!

Reven

Thanks a lot guys.

I will definitely be checking out the Porsche and ZR1. I feel like the R8 is too showy haha... =(
The thing i like about the GTR is the fact that it feels like an underdog on the road you know, which sounds kind of stupid given 60mph speed limits here in the bay area!
If I had the money I would get a Maserati Granturismo.

Circle T

Sorry to jump into all this awesome talk with awesome cars, but I've got a question about some really low budget problems - Headlight restoration, the ones with the cloudy colouring stuff? Has anyone done them? What's the best option?

I'm a little late on this, but you might also just look into getting entirely new headlights. My old Grand Am had really faded, worn out headlights. I looked into the different kits, etc, but just ended up getting 2 new headlights on Amazon. They were like $40 a piece, and look less than 30 mins to put in. Just another option....

yw3os.jpg

ascii42

I went to Jaguar's Drive Alive event today with my roommate. First we drove the XJL around a little bit. It must have been amusing for onlookers to see a train of about 10 XJs driving about. The XJL was as awesome as I thought it would be. That's more or less exactly what I want from a car.

Then we did a little autocross in an XKR. We got two laps, one to get a feel for the course, and one timed. I really should have done better, but it was tough to override my instincts. I'm pretty much the most passive driver I know. Still, it was fun, and I figure: the longer I take, the more time I get to spend doing it.

After that, I stepped into an XKR-S to do an acceleration test. The area they gave us was enough to get it a little over 90 mph. I'd say the acceleration is slightly slower than a CTS-V, but still plenty fast.

They had an area where you could test out the XKR and the XF in a course set up with speedbumps and fake potholes and such to get a feel for the ride quality. I'm not sure what it is about the XF, but I just don't like it as much as the other two. Still wouldn't complain if I had one.

Finally, we went to an area where they demonstrated how the XJ's AWD and traction control performed. There was a an area to represent a snowy hill, another covered in sand, a banked turn, and then finally another area covered in sand where we were supposed to do a quick turn and acceleration from a stop. When I drove, the traction control was off, which was...interesting. Started fishtailing and nearly completely lost control on the last part. When my roommate drove the TC was on, so the Jag took everything like it didn't even notice there was a difference.

In short. I am so glad I did it. It was really a blast. And then I had to get in my Chevy Malibu and drive 2 hours home...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Okay so i was wondering,

Why aren't you looking at an Aston Martin V8 Vantage?

Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 911S, or Audi R8.

I'm not paying $100k for a fucking Nissan.

Also, again, why aren't you looking at an Aston Martin V8 Vantage?

Did I mention the V8 Vantage?

highrider

Banned
It's funny that that thing was actually designed to be small. It's what, 18 feet long?
Props to you for even knowing about this car. It was only 6 inches shorter than the ' full size '. Marketed to the Manhattan ladies who needed something easier to park. Didn't go so well I guess.

ascii42

Props to you for even knowing about this car. It was only 6 inches shorter than the ' full size '. Marketed to the Manhattan ladies who needed something easier to park. Didn't go so well I guess.

Actually I did have to look it up. I'm sure I'd heard of it, but can't say I was particularly familiar with it. As a classic Cadillac enthusiast, I thank you for the learning experience.

N-Bomb

Okay so i was wondering,

I would say an FD RX-7 with all sorts of reliability mods, and some light customization and power mods. Should be able to do that all up for under 40k. I'd end up with not only one of the best looking cars of all time, but one of the best handling, too.

Sexy, sexy, sexy.

1962 Cadillac Park Ave. One of only 101 made. I've been working on it for over a year.

Now this is what I like to see! A real car guy with a great labour of love. Ain't no one gonna put this effort into a Fiesta. :) Very nice job dude.

And haha @ the space between the grille and the rad. What is the point of that?!

AlphaSnake

I would say an FD RX-7 with all sorts of reliability mods, and some light customization and power mods. Should be able to do that all up for under 40k. I'd end up with not only one of the best looking cars of all time, but one of the best handling, too.

Sexy, sexy, sexy.

And then you sit inside it, and realize you're sitting in a plastic bin from the 1990s despite pouring all of that money into it. Come on, son.

Might as well get the GT-R, it's far more reliable than any RX7 will ever be. With a livable interior to boot.

Sexy, sexy, sexy.

$40,000 is a lot of money to spend on a sports car from the 90s with a low rent interior. Everyone loves a nice FD but it's kind of a cult favorite, i.e., unless you're really into old RX-7s it's a bizarre pick.

Enron

Banned
And then you sit inside it, and realize you're sitting in a plastic bin from the 1990s despite pouring all of that money into it. Come on, son.

Might as well get the GT-R, it's far more reliable than any RX7 will ever be. With a livable interior to boot.

You clearly do not know N-Bomb very well. 1990's plastic bins are what he loves above all.

N-Bomb

You clearly do not know N-Bomb very well. 1990's plastic bins are what he loves above all.

If my budget is $100k, why not spend some of that on upgrading the interior as well?

What constitutes a reliability mod for an RX-7? Swapping in a Chevy small-block?

IIRC:
Major
-Aluminum air separation tank
-replace and tighten all of the rat's nest vac hoses under the hood

Minor
-Higher capacity rad
-Single turbo swap
-3mm apex seals

Might be forgetting some.

$40,000 is a lot of money to spend on a sports car from the 90s with a low rent interior. Everyone loves a nice FD but it's kind of a cult favorite, i.e., unless you're really into old RX-7s it's a bizarre pick.

Well to be fair, I'd be spending this money for driving dynamics and road experience, not for a smoking room.

I don't like the looks of the GT-R, and I really don't appreciate all the computerized wizardry. That's my main beef with most new cars, really.

That said, money can fix a lot of technical 'deficiencies', but styling is kind of set in stone, and I honestly think the industry is at a low point there. I mean, some people love 60s and 70s muscle cars, right? They've got MANY problems I wouldn't even deal with, but some of them really are stunning.

AlphaSnake

tt-mk3-2-960x411.jpg

Nope. That's not another render of the Audi Quattro concept. That's a speculation render of what the next TT might look like...

:O

http://fourtitude.com/news/audi-rum...day-third-generation-tt-rendered-in-drawings/

I've long been saying that the Quattro Concept from 2010 would eventually just become the TT. They've slowed down production of the TT by 75-80% worldwide since 2011 in preparation for a complete overhaul. The new car will finally not look like a woman's accessory.

AlphaSnake

Actually not as bad as I was expecting. I still fail to see the point though. The 5 series GT didn't sell, and that was without an available wagon version in America. They are still planning on bringing the 3-series wagon to America, right?

Yes. It was a US-spec car filmed in Downtown Los Angeles.

TylerD

Can't wait for the 4 series GT.

/sarcasm

-----

Jalopnik.com is all fucked up when I look at it from work. No images and it looks like early 2000s mobile site.

AlphaSnake

So now I have to haul around crap that for all intents and purposes is useless? Do you carry around an iron and a bread maker in your car?

You really think safety systems weigh a car that much? You should do a bit more reading on why the GT-R is a heavy car.

It ain't the little bits of circuitry, believe me. There are plenty of other supercars with that kind of tech that weigh 600lbs less than the GT-R.

You're point is simply invalid. If you don't like driver aids, shut them off. With an underrated 545HP on tap, you aren't "hauling" around crap.

Come on, son.

Come on.

ascii42

You really think safety systems weigh a car that much? You should do a bit more reading on why the GT-R is a heavy car.

It ain't the little bits of circuitry, believe me. There are plenty of other supercars with that kind of tech that weigh 600lbs less than the GT-R.

You're point is simply invalid. If you don't like driver aids, shut them off. With an underrated 545HP on tap, you aren't "hauling" around crap.

Come on, son.

Come on.

If Porsche can use a sticker for their logo to save weight, I think computers and sensors are fair game for complaining.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Jaguar's official Twitter started following me. They only follow like 2500 people. It's a sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom