• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facelift? Or... facepunch?

image.php

I like GerQ for the new Infiniti. That's probably the only type of person who will buy them!

HAHA, well put me in for one.

Been eying the A4, but not really too hot on the reliability of Audis.

The Japanese still seem to be building more reliable, lower maintenance cars.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That said, the old nomenclature was stupid & senseless. It's letters & numbers. At least this way the models are named consistently. But I much prefer names. Using letters & numbers is lazy.
Plus, what's the point if you put the same letter in front of every model anyways. It's redundant, and even if they open a new prefixed line in the future, well then I wonder why they chose to unify now anyways.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What about splitting coupes into a separate segment? Eventually they'll want to do that too.

Smokey

Who generally has the best gas? Exxon, chevron, shell? I use premium and was using shell for awhile but have been using chevron as of late.

AlphaSnake

If V-Power contains no ethanol...that may explain why my cars see such sudden changes when I fill up at Shell.

N-Bomb

Who generally has the best gas? Exxon, chevron, shell? I use premium and was using shell for awhile but have been using chevron as of late.

There's a thing called 'top tier gas', dunno if it actually MEANS anything, but it's supposed to be better gas according to some standards. I know Shell is in that list.

If V-Power contains no ethanol...that may explain why my cars see such sudden changes when I fill up at Shell.

Yeah. In my experience, it's about a 10% difference in fuel economy, which makes having 10% ethanol completely pointless.

Indeed, however this is in Toronto. I don't know if the same holds true of V-Power in your parts of the US or wherever.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This one is the Q50. See, I already have it down.

Q50 for G sedan
Q60 for G Coupe
Q70 for M sedan

It's actually a better system. Has anyone done a head to head on the M37 (or whatever the fuck it's called?) with an Audi A6? This is a real choice for me as I become old and farty.

TylerD

OK. Now, let's say they decide to slot a vehicle between the QX70 and QX80.

Now what?

It looks like you found the flashing body part on the boss.

Then they say your QX60 is now a QX50 and then they add a new QX60!

Or they decide to start with much bigger gaps and your QX50 becomes a QX10. Downgrade :(

n0n44m

WOTAuto just picked up our first fleet loaner car. It's a Volvo S60 R-Design.

Power figures are roughly 330HP/360lbs of TQ, turbocharged 3.0L I6.

4J7a1.jpg

wait that's stock ? so more than the 300 hp of the regular T6? interesting ... I thought that once "R" became "R-Design" they were just regular T5/T6 cars with some extra sporty looking bumpers

fake edit: wait wtf

in the Netherlands there is no R version of the S60, just the 300 hp T6. For the V70 there is something called an "R edition", but that's just the fancy looking parts put on a regular T-4 or D4 (diesel!) ... 300 hp T6 is the strongest V70 engine as well

situation seems to be the same for Sweden, can't be bothered to look at the other countries

thing is my uncle has this awesome 2000something (2nd generation) V70 R AWD , which belonged to the head mechanic at the local Volvo dealership who flashed it with an "official" ECU tune (Polestar?) and put on some crazy 4-pipe exhaust ... absolutely love that car, great leather interior and beautiful exterior, better than the current V70 line (manual gearbox as well!). It is supposed to do around 330 hp as well ...

so I guess the US S60R is just the regular T6 with a Polestar flash ? still pretty cool of them to offer something above the regular T6 !

but I still miss the "real" Rs :)

v70roacd5.png

AlphaSnake

wait that's stock ? so more than the 300 hp of the regular T6? interesting ... I thought that once "R" became "R-Design" they were just regular T5/T6 cars with some extra sporty looking bumpers

fake edit: wait wtf

in the Netherlands there is no R version of the S60, just the 300 hp T6. For the V70 there is something called an "R edition", but that's just the fancy looking parts put on a regular T-4 or D4 (diesel!) ... 300 hp T6 is the strongest V70 engine as well

situation seems to be the same for Sweden, can't be bothered to look at the other countries

thing is my uncle has this awesome 2000something (2nd generation) V70 R AWD , which belonged to the head mechanic at the local Volvo dealership who flashed it with an "official" ECU tune (Polestar?) and put on some crazy 4-pipe exhaust ... absolutely love that car, great leather interior and beautiful exterior, better than the current V70 line (manual gearbox as well!). It is supposed to do around 330 hp as well ...

so I guess the US S60R is just the regular T6 with a Polestar flash ? still pretty cool of them to offer something above the regular T6 !

but I still miss the "real" Rs :)

v70roacd5.png

Yes, 100% stock. R-Design, has notable increases over the standard T6 on the S60s.

AlphaSnake

By the way, for 2012 Legacy GTs in Japan, they come equipped with turbo'd FA20s (BRZ/FRS motors). They make 300HP/300TQ. Engines are virtually identical, only difference being the turbo'd motor is running less compression and that's it.

So I'd expect about 280-300HP for the WRZ STi's debut. It's going to be a mad car.

AlphaSnake

550HP flagship sedan. 3.0L turbo, likely paired to an electric motor (as featured in past concepts).

Dear Infiniti Fans,

We love you dearly. And we know you love the brand. Which means it's only natural that you may feel surprised by the announcement that we plan to change our nomenclature philosophy. No one likes change.

It was a tough decision, we like our current model names as much as you do. But we had no choice but to change. Let me explain.

1. We are embarking on a massive product offensive, and these new cars need names. There are no suitable combinations of Alphanumeric naming options remaining which are not already trademarked by another automaker. In order to expand our line up with the fascinating new models we are developing, we must create a more flexible nomenclature philosophy.

2. Our new advanced technology engines under development will be smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient yet more powerful. And we will introduce some exhilarating performance machines in the future. I'm sure you will agree, it would be a bit odd to have a powerful, luxurious and refined V8 powered Infiniti M56, then position a new high-tech 550+ horsepower performance flagship for the Infiniti M range above it, using a potent charged induction V6, but then call it Infiniti M30, which we would be obliged to do, following our current naming logic.

3. Infiniti is becoming a global brand now, we are already active in almost 50 countries, the majority only very recently. Our new customers are unfamiliar with the brand and struggle to understand our range hierarchy. Is a JX above or below an FX? Where does an EX fit? What is the relationship between G and Infiniti M? Research confirms the majority of newcomers to our brand consider the naming to be somewhat arbitrary and confusing.

4. Infiniti owns the naming assets of Q plus double digit, and QX plus double digit. And it is a permanent part of our heritage.

So the solution is pretty straightforward - use Q for cars, QX for crossovers, and double digits in increments of ten, to denote hierarchy, linked to the price point of the model, not size and not engine displacement. And no, we won't call all-wheel drive models Q50X or QX50X. The fact that a model may feature four wheel drive, will be indicated by specific badging describing this feature on the car, and is not part of the model name.

The really exciting implication of all this, is that it prepares the way for the introduction of several fascinating new models, above and below the current line up, a wider range of powertrains, including some truly stunning performance cars in our future.

So there is only good news for all Infiniti fans around the globe. We are working very hard to bring you great products, a great brand and a compelling ownership experience. And we are really confident you will love the new Q50. It's simply that good.

Warmest regards

Johan de Nysschen
President

cajunator

Banned

Same gas, just different branded additives.
Its all blended as its being loaded into tanker trucks.
The only actual difference otherwise is the pricing.

Also
Motiva = Shell
Exxon = Mobil
Chevron = Texaco
Valero = Diamond Shamrock
Conoco = Phillips 66

If you see those stations, they are the exact same brand.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Speaking of gas prices... there's a Shell station near me that has some WTF pricing going on.

87... $3.39
89... $4.19
92... $4.29

Meanwhile several other gas stations within the vicinity were all within $.30-$.40 difference between regular and premium.

Yes, we don't get above 92.

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of gas prices... there's a Shell station near me that has some WTF pricing going on.

87... $3.39
89... $4.19
92... $4.29

Meanwhile several other gas stations within the vicinity were all within $.30-$.40 difference between regular and premium.

Yes, we don't get above 92.

Branded gas prices are often weird like that, even at the supply point.
Thats why it is so expensive when a truck driver fucks up and mixes two products in a tank.

ascii42

If you aren't set on a German car, and want to save money, I see no reason not to get a Japanese car. If you like the Corolla, and like the utility of a hatch, you should also look into a Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe (both are basically a hatchback version of a Corolla). The Pontiac might be cheaper since that's a dead brand, but I don't know.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm on the other side of the line here.

The facelifted FX is definitely better than the 2009-2011 ones; the lines flow more naturally around the front with the pinch.

Yeah, when I see that fucking beatmode SUV thing in my rear view mirror now, it looks like a platinum shark. And it looks expensive.

AlphaSnake

I'm on the other side of the line here.

The facelifted FX is definitely better than the 2009-2011 ones; the lines flow more naturally around the front with the pinch.

They look virtually identical from the front, apart from the grille and foglight housings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom