• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttons

I wanted one for a long while and today I finally picked him up, am so happy with the car. I'll start adding some stuff to it soon, winter tyres will be put on it next week and after that some bonnet stripes. ^^
And once summer comes around again I'll put some 17" rims on, just need to find a good deal on some Crown-Spoke, Conal-Spoke or Twin Blade-Spoke rims. ^^

2007 model, only 58 000km on it.

mine3vcvc.jpg

They look virtually identical from the front, apart from the grille and foglight housings.

I dunno, the pinch makes a big difference.

I have a 2009 and I definitely prefer the pinch on the 2012 from an aesthetic perspective since the lines flow more naturally.

Pre-pinch models had lines that abruptly cut off.

Pre-pinch:

DSC02979.jpg

Notice that the sides of the grill just kind of cut off and don't flow with the rest of the sculpted look of the vehicle.

infiniti-fx35-franklin-tn_38729_120400_1.jpg

Much better visual flow, IMO. Much more "organic" and sculpted, which is what Infiniti is going for in the first place.

Looks like KBB just adjusted prices for EVOs for 2013 and the prices went up.

Looks like im gonna keep my evo 9 for a few more years.

Still debating on parting with my e36 m3.

Smokey

Same gas, just different branded additives.
Its all blended as its being loaded into tanker trucks.
The only actual difference otherwise is the pricing.

Also
Motiva = Shell
Exxon = Mobil
Chevron = Texaco
Valero = Diamond Shamrock
Conoco = Phillips 66

If you see those stations, they are the exact same brand.

oh yeah, i knew this.

i was speaking more in terms of additives etc if one brand was better than another.

Unrelated: You're not a car guy if you buy it for the image.

This is an asinine statement because it can be made for nearly every buyer of every car. Every car buyer has a certain image in mind when they buy a car. No one buys a car purely on performance data and statistics.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This is an asinine statement because it can be made for nearly every buyer of every car. Every car buyer has a certain image in mind when they buy a car. No one buys a car purely on performance data and statistics.

Ignore N-Bomb.

Exhaust fumes have clouded his thought process permanently.

N-Bomb

Not true. A car guy buys a car for the fun of driving it, or maybe for mechanicalgeek reasons. If you're buying/not buying it because of image, you're more of a clothes guy.

Not true. A car guy buys a car for the fun of driving it, or maybe for mechanicalgeek reasons. If you're buying/not buying it because of image, you're more of a clothes guy.

Uh yeah, but you can buy a $30K Mitsu Evo or a $60K M3 or a $60K RS4 or a $60K C63 AMG a $90K GT-R or a $120K Porsche and they're all fine sporting machines which will deliver plenty of fun.

Especially when you look at a segment like M3 vs. RS4 vs. C63, there is a lot of personal taste and non-quantitative measures involved in a decision to purchase one over the others.

Even guys like Ray and Tom from Car Talk -- I mean, I don't know if you can be more of a "car guy" than these two -- own vehicles for reasons other than performance or mechanics and certainly own vehicles for their image.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Stop talking.

That's more an indication of whether or not you're an engineer. "This car has the best performance points per dollar!"

If car guys didn't buy cars at least somewhat on image, looks, character, etc., Alfa Romeo wouldn't be a company.

Edit: This is what happens when a snowstorm hits the day before you plan on moving your motorcycle yourself with a FWD Volvo.

I GOT THIS!
fUmv5.jpg

NOPE
QJV6K.jpg

It's a handy thing that owners of 4x4 half-ton trucks love helping people unstick their cars. I actually got it most of the way there, but that spot in the second photo is where my tracks from the morning had frozen solid. The guy ended up towing it back to the entrance of the driveway for me (the spot at the first photo) so I'm going to end up walking the bike the half-mile to there...yay.

matmanx1

I wanted one for a long while and today I finally picked him up, am so happy with the car. I'll start adding some stuff to it soon, winter tyres will be put on it next week and after that some bonnet stripes. ^^
And once summer comes around again I'll put some 17" rims on, just need to find a good deal on some Crown-Spoke, Conal-Spoke or Twin Blade-Spoke rims. ^^

2007 model, only 58 000km on it.

mine3vcvc.jpg

I like the color. Mini's are iconic, that's for sure. I'm in the South Eastern USA and I see them everywhere around here as they seem to be really popular. BMW bringing them back to the USA seems to have been a good move.

Buttons

I like the color. Mini's are iconic, that's for sure. I'm in the South Eastern USA and I see them everywhere around here as they seem to be really popular. BMW bringing them back to the USA seems to have been a good move.

Thank you. It's nice to hear that they are popular in the US as well. Here in Germany you see quite a lot of them as well, always makes me happy since it's my favourite car and I have wanted one for years. ^^

giga

Anyone have a 2013 Accord? Need to get a mid-size sedan that's around ~23k. Wanted to go with a VW Passat but I've heard so many bad stories about VW reliability and maintenance costs so I'm not sure..

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone have a 2013 Accord? Need to get a mid-size sedan that's around ~23k. Wanted to go with a VW Passat but I've heard so many bad stories about VW reliability and maintenance costs so I'm not sure..

Accord is boring but awesome. Consider aused Acura or Lexus for similar deal but much better car.

AlphaSnake

Oh my god that dash is an affront to nature. Everything else seems rad. But Jesus.

It's not that bad at all. The screen is a bit too recessed, but everything on the center console is easy to use and simple looking. For about $50-100 you can have that aluminum trim vinyled piano black. :)

Stinkles

It's not that bad at all. The screen is a bit too recessed, but everything on the center console is easy to use and simple looking. For about $50-100 you can have that aluminum trim vinyled piano black. :)

There is simple and then there is a flat rectangle.

N-Bomb

Thank you. It's nice to hear that they are popular in the US as well. Here in Germany you see quite a lot of them as well, always makes me happy since it's my favourite car and I have wanted one for years. ^^

If it wasn't for the end of the generation production, I'd have bought a Cooper S in 06. They'd only sell me one off the lot, however.

Oh my god that dash is an affront to nature. Everything else seems rad. But Jesus.

I don't mind the dash in general, but that center stack... It looks like a sales kiosk.

matmanx1

I've test driven one and I was impressed by how much more quiet it was at highway speeds over the old model. That being said I hated the CVT gearbox. There was almost no sense of acceleration whatsoever. You push the gas and you are doing 60 in short order and have no idea how you got there because there's so little feedback from the car.

I'm sure it would make a great transportation vehicle for many years and in the Sport guise it actually looks pretty good too. It's just not for me.

Look at the Altima while you're at it if you're looking at current/new models. I've driven the newest Passat and it's not going to inspire adrenaline production anytime soon, but the interior is nice as all hell when equipped (I drove the top trim diesel model). The diesel gets ridiculously good MPG as well.

There is simple and then there is a flat rectangle.

Yeah that interior looks like complete shit.

black_13

Banned
Alright parents want a newer Luxury SUV. I've narrowed it down to the Japanese Luxury divisions as maintenance wise I would trust them more (unless german SUV's have somehow been reliable and I haven't noticed). Correct me if I'm wrong though. Staying the hell away from anything Domestic despite enjoying the Ford Edge as a rental car. Still seems too cheap.

And I've told them to try and buy a slightly used one so the depreciation hit has already happened.

2009-10 Infiniti FX35 (looks the best but most expensive, around $35k)
2009-11 Lexus RX350 (looks decent but surprisingly better options than the FX as it has rear heated seats, and less expensive and well always soft spot for Toyota)
2009-11 Acura MDX (never had acura but see these alot and hear they are fairly reliable)

Which one would you choose? Any problems with either?

Requiem

Saw a blacked out S5 on my way to work a couple days ago. Just seeing that car cemented my decision to get the an A5/S5 as my next car. It was sooooooo beautiful...I made every attempt possible to follow the car but Maxine was no match for that beast...

N-Bomb

Saw a blacked out S5 on my way to work a couple days ago. Just seeing that car cemented my decision to get the an A5/S5 as my next car. It was sooooooo beautiful...I made every attempt possible to follow the car but Maxine was no match for that beast...

Maxine? A... Maxima? :\

Alebrije

Gold Member
New SUV, LOVE the space , the ride quality and exterior boxy shape. My first choise was a JOURNEY DODGE V6 RT , then moved to a CRV but finally got this baby :

9vhHK.jpg

fcKPz.jpg

dy9Ju.jpg

sOAh4.jpg

For the ones in the U.S. this is the mexican EX version , it`s a mix from the EX and TOURING from U.S. but it has a standar spare tire ( no donut ) and comes with roof rails/bars from fabric something that only U.S. Touring version has.

AlphaSnake

Alright parents want a newer Luxury SUV. I've narrowed it down to the Japanese Luxury divisions as maintenance wise I would trust them more (unless german SUV's have somehow been reliable and I haven't noticed). Correct me if I'm wrong though. Staying the hell away from anything Domestic despite enjoying the Ford Edge as a rental car. Still seems too cheap.

And I've told them to try and buy a slightly used one so the depreciation hit has already happened.

2009-11 Lexus RX350 (looks decent but surprisingly better options than the FX as it has rear heated seats, and less expensive and well always soft spot for Toyota)
2009-11 Acura MDX (never had acura but see these alot and hear they are fairly reliable)

Which one would you choose? Any problems with either?

The FX is my choice.

The other two are dreadful boats. But if your parents are into the boat thing, then the Lexus would be my choice. The Acura is a pig, slowest of the three, and has a messy interior. The Infiniti is easily the best of the bunch though, but least fuel efficient.

giga

Accord is boring but awesome. Consider aused Acura or Lexus for similar deal but much better car.
Looked at the (used) Acura TL and Lexus ES 350 and they look really nice, but the fuel efficiency is a killer. :/ The TL also takes premium.

This car will get A LOT of miles from my daily commute so anything that's cheap to fill is a priority.

I've test driven one and I was impressed by how much more quiet it was at highway speeds over the old model. That being said I hated the CVT gearbox. There was almost no sense of acceleration whatsoever. You push the gas and you are doing 60 in short order and have no idea how you got there because there's so little feedback from the car.

I'm sure it would make a great transportation vehicle for many years and in the Sport guise it actually looks pretty good too. It's just not for me.
Ah. Well, that's not too big problem for me. I'm looking for a smooth ride for long highway commutes and city driving full of potholes and bumps on the road.

Thanks for the input guys!

black_13

Banned
The FX is my choice.

The other two are dreadful boats. But if your parents are into the boat thing, then the Lexus would be my choice. The Acura is a pig, slowest of the three, and has a messy interior. The Infiniti is easily the best of the bunch though, but least fuel efficient.

Yea they actually prefer that too. But only one that takes premium which isn't the best but fuel efficiancy isn't a main concern.

What about the Q5 that's out of warranty? Is the TDI engine/Audi reliability a scary thing?

AlphaSnake

Yea they actually prefer that too. But only one that takes premium which isn't the best but fuel efficiancy isn't a main concern.

What about the Q5 that's out of warranty? Is the TDI engine/Audi reliability a scary thing?

Avoid used Audis. It's not the motor or transmission that'll go wrong, it's the potential of other things that are not covered under extended warranties.

Edit: Also, premium or regular, the difference isn't that much in savings IMO.

matmanx1

Looked at the (used) Acura TL and Lexus ES 350 and they look really nice, but the fuel efficiency is a killer. :/ The TL also takes premium.

This car will get A LOT of miles from my daily commute so anything that's cheap to fill is a priority.

Ah. Well, that's not too big problem for me. I'm looking for a smooth ride for long highway commutes and city driving full of potholes and bumps on the road.

Thanks for the input guys!

I imagine the Accord would be right up your alley then. I would also check out the Altima as I actually prefer the interior and driving feel on those over the Accord but you really can't go wrong either way.

I think your parents can do better than $35K for an '09 FX35.

We got ours new with taxes and all fees for $42,000 (AWD, nav, premium, paddle shifters).

Having owned the FX now for a while, some thoughts:

- It can feel claustrophobic in the back because of how small the windows actually are and how small the sunroof is
- Fuel economy is pretty abysmal (my wife averages around 17mpg with fairly timid driving)
- On the '09 models, it uses a CF card for some software updates and media transfer and there is no USB interface while I distinctly remember Hyundai Elantra rentals I had the year before with USB interfaces....
- No power close or power lift trunk (was available on later models)
- Interfaces/software are not that great or intuitive.
- Trunk space is surprisingly limited
- Weird whistling noise when the car hits triple digit speeds.

+ Engine is fantastic; love driving the thing
+ Great driving dynamics
+ Around view camera system is awesome
+ Very low maintenance. Just take it to my local Nissan dealer for any non-warranty work, 7.5K oil changes with synthetic, 30 and 60k service, no major out of schedule service or issues. Had the left side view mirror replaced under warranty for an issue where it would wobble a bit at speed. Had a cylinder misfire issue but disappeared on its own.

Thinking back now, I would have gotten the FX50 instead. Fuel economy is only 1-2mpg worse but much higher output and would have emphasized the stronger traits of this vehicle (fun to drive).

Maintenance costs are what are keeping me from seriously considering an Audi. I really want an A4, but likely going to wait for the Q50.

Stinkles

Kinda sad that the best German cars are the ones you should be wary of buying. :(

That's the cost of taking everything, including electronics and interior design, right to where they're all new and desirable. And why the more boring but tried and tested Accords of the world have fewer issues.

AlphaSnake

The Kia 2.0T is SLOWER. That's a fact.

The power delivery has been universally panned by everyone in both the Hyundai and Kia. Something is really wrong with those engines, because they can't seem to run a 1/4 mile faster than 15-seconds and trap 95MPH.

A 328i runs a 1/4 mile almost 1 full second faster. That's an enormous difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom