• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
N-Bomb, are you trolling us? Or do we all think you're just that crazy?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm back from my test drive marathon...

--great write ups--

Have you considered a Jaguar XFR? It goes like a wild animal. It sounds like a Guerilla and a Lion mating. And the chassis is extremely tight, but comfortable, and the steering is hydraulic power-steering! No electric BS here.

I'm picking up an XFR demo car next week, but I did get to drive one around a few blocks in Manhattan...and it's just sensational. Much more involving and enjoyable than either the Merc or BMW. The interior isn't quite up there with the BMW, but I can't complain - it's very clean and very user friendly.

Btw: if you don't mind me asking, what do you do? Ever considered writing for fun? :p

N-Bomb

Yes, N-Bomb, make it look like that.

Go for it. You have my full support.

N-Bomb, are you trolling us? Or do we all think you're just that crazy?

Nah, it's pretty fugly. Probably weighs a ton, too. I've got other plans for Body by N-Bomb. They include dropping near 100lbs off the car without affecting any creature comforts/safety/etc :D (I could drop more if I ditched the airbags though...)

Before I got the car I briefly considered going without A/C... what was I thinking!

KingGondo

Banned
Need some advice.

My dad has driven Hondas/Acuras for years, and IMO he's stuck in a bit of a rut. He's driven an Acura TL for the last 3-4 years--while it's a nice car, IMO they're a bit bland and don't have much personality.

His heart is now set on the new 2014 RLX that's coming out next year. While it's a definite step up from the TL, I think he's limiting himself by not considering other cars in the same class/price range.

Does Auto-GAF have any recommendations? I'd say $60,000 is his upper price limit, and I think he's set on a mid-size sedan (although he admitted to me that he always dreamed of having a Corvette growing up). Reliability is a concern, although he trades his cars in every couple of years so I think this is overblown in his mind.

Thanks in advance!

ascii42

Well, the new Corvette will also be out next year, so that could be worth a look. Or he could probably get a great deal on the current one.

As for mid-size cars with personalities.... perhaps the Jaguar XF? The next Cadillac CTS will also be out next year, but we don't know anything about that car yet. I think both the Corvette and CTS are going to be unveiled next month at the Detroit Auto Show.

However, if reliability is a concern, I would stay away from first model year cars.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Need some advice.

My dad has driven Hondas/Acuras for years, and IMO he's stuck in a bit of a rut. He's driven an Acura TL for the last 3-4 years--while it's a nice car, IMO they're a bit bland and don't have much personality.

His heart is now set on the new 2014 RLX that's coming out next year. While it's a definite step up from the TL, I think he's limiting himself by not considering other cars in the same class/price range.

Does Auto-GAF have any recommendations? I'd say $60,000 is his upper price limit, and I think he's set on a mid-size sedan (although he admitted to me that he always dreamed of having a Corvette growing up). Reliability is a concern, although he trades his cars in every couple of years so I think this is overblown in his mind.

Thanks in advance!

He should ge the Corvette. He isn't getting any younger and current Vetted are the absolute best, fastest, most reliable and even fuel economical they have ever been. Then in two years he can try an Infiniti M and enjoy the big Nissan engine.

KingGondo

Banned
However, if reliability is a concern, I would stay away from first model year cars.
That's the thing. He's in the habit of trading his cars in within the first two years for the newer model anyways, so I'm not sure why he's concerned about that so much.

The RLX seems nice (definitely the nicest looking of the new family of Acuras) but he's in position to choose from a wide array of cars. I think he's selling himself short if he doesn't at least test drive some other options.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He should ge the Corvette. He isn't getting any younger and current Vetted are the absolute best, fastest, most reliable and even fuel economical they have ever been. Then in two years he can try an Infiniti M and enjoy the big Nissan engine.
He should wait until the ugly new Vette is officially revealed so the old one can go down in price a bit, for maximum savings.

KingGondo

Banned
When I asked him why he's hesitant about the Vette, he says he's concerned about ride (not like Acuras have a great ride anyways) and practicality (even though very rarely does he have more than 1 passenger).

I think he should go for it too... Probably the best way is to get him to take a test drive. I have a feeling it'll be hard to pick an RLX after he feels the power of the Vette.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When I asked him why he's hesitant about the Vette, he says he's concerned about ride (not like Acuras have a great ride anyways) and practicality (even though very rarely does he have more than 1 passenger).

I think he should go for it too... Probably the best way is to get him to take a test drive. I have a feeling it'll be hard to pick an RLX after he feels the power of the Vette.

It has a bumpy, loud, raucous ride. It is not comfortable and the cabin is cramped. But he will have fun every time he drives it.

KingGondo

Banned
It has a bumpy, loud, raucous ride. It is not comfortable and the cabin is cramped. But he will have fun every time he drives it.
Yeah... That might be a dealbreaker for him. Not the most adventurous type.

Any recommendations in the same vein as the RLX? Luxury mid-size sedans?

reilo

Need some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Audi A6? Audi S4?

ascii42

That's the thing. He's in the habit of trading his cars in within the first two years for the newer model anyways, so I'm not sure why he's concerned about that so much.

The RLX seems nice (definitely the nicest looking of the new family of Acuras) but he's in position to choose from a wide array of cars. I think he's selling himself short if he doesn't at least test drive some other options.

Often with cars it's the little things that can go wrong early, especially with all the technology that's on cars these days. Certainly if he's only keeping it a couple years, he doesn't have to worry about it breaking down on him.

And yeah, if he's going to spend that much money on a car, he ought to know he's got the car that's best for him.

Halvie

Banned
Audi A6? Audi S4?

with
8285058969_0d5048caf8_b.jpg

reilo

Thanks reilo.

I'll definitely recommend the A6 3.0T.

Looks absolutely fantastic from everything I've read.

Alpha has/had one. He also has a Jaguar XF now, which will definitely be within that price range and a hell of a car. Also, let him know that Jaguar are one of the more reliable car manufacturers today :)

AlphaSnake

Audi A6? Audi S4?

Yep. Those.

I'll throw in the Jaguar XF 5.0L V8 (2012 if he can find any) or 2013 supercharged V6.

New obviously.

Based on his Acura/Honda love, it seems like the S4 would be his car of choice, though.

Edit: Get out of my head, Reilo.

KingGondo

Banned
Yep. Those.

I'll throw in the Jaguar XF 5.0L V8 (2012 if he can find any) or 2013 supercharged V6.

New obviously.

Based on his Acura/Honda love, it seems like the S4 would be his car of choice, though.

Edit: Get out of my head, Reilo.
Thanks. All the luxury dealerships in OKC are in the same area, so one of these weekends we'll go test drive all your recommendations.

Even if he ends up with the RLX, it'll still be fun to try these out.

Thanks reilo.

I'll definitely recommend the A6 3.0T.

Looks absolutely fantastic from everything I've read.

I recently test drove a A6. The interior is amazing as is the comfort level.

The A model is a bit "soft" and power is ok. Might want to see if he can test drive a S6.

I personally like the line of the A7/S7 more and the price is somewhat similar.

FStop7

Banned
Have you considered a Jaguar XFR? It goes like a wild animal. It sounds like a Guerilla and a Lion mating. And the chassis is extremely tight, but comfortable, and the steering is hydraulic power-steering! No electric BS here.

I'm picking up an XFR demo car next week, but I did get to drive one around a few blocks in Manhattan...and it's just sensational. Much more involving and enjoyable than either the Merc or BMW. The interior isn't quite up there with the BMW, but I can't complain - it's very clean and very user friendly.

Btw: if you don't mind me asking, what do you do? Ever considered writing for fun? :p

I'm considering the XFR-S when it comes out but I think after my experience yesterday that a big brawler sedan isn't what I want. The relative lightness of the 911 was pretty great.

I work in IT, I mostly write random crap online but nothing official for anything

matmanx1

My 987 Boxster is most assuredly the best overall drivers car I've ever experienced. It's nowhere near as polished as the new 991 911 but it's still very light and quick and hella fun in the twisty backroads around my house.

I arrive home most days from work with a smile on my face as long as I have the energy to push the car during the drive. It's only on the days when I'm bone tired that I wish I was driving something a little bit quieter and with a better ride but from what I hear the new 911's have that side also. I envy you and second (or third?) the Porsche recommendation. They make a very unique and special driving experience!

AlphaSnake

My 987 Boxster is most assuredly the best overall drivers car I've ever experienced. It's nowhere near as polished as the new 991 911 but it's still very light and quick and hella fun in the twisty backroads around my house.

I arrive home most days from work with a smile on my face as long as I have the energy to push the car during the drive. It's only on the days when I'm bone tired that I wish I was driving something a little bit quieter and with a better ride but from what I hear the new 911's have that side also. I envy you and second (or third?) the Porsche recommendation. They make a very unique and special driving experience!

I share that same sentiment. I don't get to drive my 370Z as much as I want.

Work all day into night.
Shit weather and winters
Too tired when I'm done
Too much traffic

I know I'll be driving the piss out of it when I move down south, though.

MisterNoisy

Too much traffic

This right here. Driving would be amazing if there were a lot fewer other people doing it while I am.

Depending on where you move to down here, you might still be out of luck. What they lack in density, they make up in 'density', if you catch my meaning. I need a horn that just screams 'WAKE THE FUCK UP!'

AlphaSnake

This right here. Driving would be amazing if there were a lot fewer other people doing it while I am.

Depending on where you move to down here, you might still be out of luck. What they lack in density, they make up in 'density', if you catch my meaning. I need a horn that just screams 'WAKE THE FUCK UP!'

Windermere, FL. Just outside of Orlando.

Love it down there. No traffic. Incredible roads. When accidents happen on highways, people aren't idiots and keep driving instead of looking.

Edit: Regarding the mirrors, yep. Been doing this for 7+ years now ever since BMW driving school. :p

J-Rzez

Interesting that Honda is reviving the S2000. Here I thought the company was going full on rental car/disposable people movers.

AlphaSnake

Interesting that Honda is reviving the S2000. Here I thought the company was going full on rental car/disposable people movers.

They want to reclaim a throne that is rightfully theirs.

BRZ/GT86/FRS on notice

By the way. Adjust your mirrors to eliminate blind spots:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

I've driven like this for years, it's fantastic.

Yep, I've been doing this forever as well. It's really the best way to set them up but, unfortunately, nobody seems aware of this. Some people even reject it outright, because "I've been doing it like this forever and I like it!" is a better reason to do something than "This is how it's supposed to work".

ascii42

Seeing multiple posts about optimizing side mirror placement for parking alone blows my mind.

I guess I had never really thought about it for a while. I didn't do driver's ed, so it would have been on my dad to have told me how to adjust the mirrors.

My Olds doesn't have a mirror on the right side, but fortunately visibility is great out of that car.

AlphaSnake

KingGondo: This one's for you. It's a bit of a lengthy review, as most of them are, but it explains the A6 in full. Power delivery, steering, handling, interior quality, etc. There are a number of things that disappoint me about the A6. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.wotauto.com/2012/12/28/audi-a6-3-0t-review/

The Jaguar XF review will be put up shortly after.

TylerD

My mirrors are adjusted properly where I don't have any blind spots but I still will do a quick turn and glance when on highways. There have been instances where people are coming up very quickly two lanes outside/inside of me and switch into the lane I am attempting to get into and without doing a quick glance would have been in a collision.

I feel so much safer maneuvering through traffic in my 330ci than I ever did in my Accord thanks to the confidence it gives me. Last Sunday I had someone pull out in front of me going around 10 when I was going 52 in a 45 and I was able to slow down safely with little drama. They did get a nice and hearty 10 second horn blast from me though.

My mirrors are adjusted properly where I don't have any blind spots but I still will do a quick turn and glance when on highways. There have been instances where people are coming up very quickly two lanes outside/inside of me and switch into the lane I am attempting to get into and without doing a quick glance would have been in a collision.

I feel so much safer maneuvering through traffic in my 330ci than I ever did in my Accord thanks to the confidence it gives me. Last Sunday I had someone pull out in front of me going around 10 when I was going 52 in a 45 and I was able to slow down safely with little drama. They did get a nice and hearty 10 second horn blast from me though.

This is a really good point with the mirrors. Having them adjusted properly will eventually give you too much confidence in them. It's really important to remember that cars behind you but two lanes out probably won't show up in your mirrors, so you still need to check left and right.

KingGondo

Banned
KingGondo: This one's for you. It's a bit of a lengthy review, as most of them are, but it explains the A6 in full. Power delivery, steering, handling, interior quality, etc. There are a number of things that disappoint me about the A6. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.wotauto.com/2012/12/28/audi-a6-3-0t-review/

The Jaguar XF review will be put up shortly after.
Thanks. My dad is so deadset on an Acura that I'll just be happy if I can convince him to test drive the A6.

Truckless GAF, I need your thoughts on this: how do you cope with being truckless?

Prior to my truck, I would have never pictured myself as a truck owner. Yet in 2007, I purchased a Frontier which has served me well for various projects hauling things around including a 3 month renovation project last year.

I'm having a hard time imaging how to get by without a truck.

This year, I'll probably have to start shuttling my 2y/o around to pre-school and while the Frontier is great, it doesn't feel very "safe" with the live rear axle and it's a pain in the ass to mount the toddler car seat in there.

I'm debating between keeping the truck and getting a third car (and all of the costs associated with that like maintenance and insurance) or getting rid of the truck and just getting a new car. Problem is that I can't imagine life without a truck anymore.

What do you do when you need to move large furniture? What if you need to take some junk your local municipal waste center? What if you need to bring home a large piece of merchandise from a store like a dresser or something? I don't give these things a second thought so I'm curious how truckless-GAF deals with this.

KingGondo

Banned
What do you do when you need to move large furniture? What if you need to take some junk your local municipal waste center? What if you need to bring home a large piece of merchandise from a store like a dresser or something? I don't give these things a second thought so I'm curious how truckless-GAF deals with this.
Get help from a friend who has a truck, or rent one from U-Haul for the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom