• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And goddamn if Mazda ever sells a Mazdaspeed or AWD version of the new 6, I am all over it. Most handsome boring Sedan ever, but the Wagon could be god tier with the right engine and drivertrain combo. Like A4 Avant handsome.

6AAfE.jpg

I dunno about a MazdaSpeed6 wagon especially here in the US, but a MazdaSpeed6 sedan already exists:

Of course, the engine in the road car isn't gonna be as fast as the Daytona GT car nor will it have a spaceframe chassis. The stock Skyactiv-D 2.2L engine supposedly delivers 173hp and 310ft-lb of torque, not to mention it's bolstered by a sequential twin turbo so it wouldn't take long for people to figure out how much boost they can get. Sadly, no info has been released about the Daytona GT version, I'm sure the MS6 is gonna be a gimped version of that.

Anyway, last I heard was the the diesel Mazda6 is supposed to hit the dealerships around June, and Mazda's either gonna unveil a full Skyactiv Mazda3 or the next generation Miata so the MazdaSpeed6 isn't probably gonna be shown until 2014.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Talked the dealer down to 11.7 K out the door. Please remember I do have almost 10 percent sales tax :[ So about 10.5 for the car. Below KBB/Edmunds Private seller.
Pretty happy with how everything went.

Getting it inspected tomorrow morning before I plop down the money.

But, I've got mixed feelings. I feel like I got a good deal from a dealer, But I also got a chance to drive a 2006 Acura RSX with 80k and it's pretty great.

Maybe if the price is right on the RSX...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I can say that although I find it to be a bit of a pig, that is a potent car. It's comfortable on long trips, too.

However the AWD setup is kind of shite. He had to spend near $5k recently to replace the transfer case and some other stuff up front because of something the dealer didn't catch. Disappointing. Something about the metal it was made of being porous or something and leaking fluid? I dunno.

Also, the STOCK wheels rubbed the rear fenders. Whut.

But still. Fun car. Nice interior.

Crap, I forgot multiquote again. Sorry. :\

Upgrading the diff mounts are a must on this car. One of the first things I did.

I have the stock wheels with slightly wider tires than stock AND the car is lowered and they don't rub.

Rubberknuckles

Neo Member
UDulRl.jpg

Fantastic... it's -20c outside and the radiator on my integra started leaking. It's slow but will need to be fixed eventually. The previous owner showed me a receipt showing he had it replaced only a few years ago. Needless to say, I am not a fan of the aluminum core/plastic end tank radiator design.

As much as I want to keep my integra bone stock, I don't want to buy another shitty radiator that's going to crap out in a couple years. Especially considering I was quoted $177 from a parts store and $255/$277 from another an "oem" replacement (wish I lived in the US for cheaper car parts).

Given these prices, and the fact that this radiator lasted <4 years, I think I am going to just get an aftermarket all aluminum radiator ($155 + $45 for a 12 in slim AC fan), because it should be more durable in the long run and it's the same price as the plastic/aluminum ones after taxes.

Have you checked out other places online? What year/etc? I mean... rad replacement isn't bad at all really for a do-it-yourself kinda person - skimming the interwebs you can get a new 2001 OEM for $60+shipping.

ameratsu

Have you checked out other places online? What year/etc? I mean... rad replacement isn't bad at all really for a do-it-yourself kinda person - skimming the interwebs you can get a new 2001 OEM for $60+shipping.

I actually did find a new radiator for $60 shipped on ebay after I made that post. Even though it appears to be the same as my current leaking radiator it should do for a few years while I own this car.

And yeah I have no problems swapping radiators. I will definitely do it myself when it warms up a little.

N-Bomb

I actually did find a new radiator for $60 shipped on ebay after I made that post. Even though it appears to be the same as my current leaking radiator it should do for a few years while I own this car.

And yeah I have no problems swapping radiators. I will definitely do it myself when it warms up a little.

If you're planning on keeping the car for years, what's the difference between $60 and $150 if one will be sure not to give headaches in the future?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Car is finally at home.
Dealership took care of me, gave me a "Fix it at Honda and we'll pay for it" paper, got me out the door.
Only minor thing is the driver window rattles a tiny bit sometimes.

I did purchase a Warranty Solutions Extended Service Contract at the 5 star level:
https://www.warrantysolutions.com/autowarranty/b2bnlf/docs/2012/5StarBrochure.pdf

It's owned/backed by Wells Fargo/Wachovia, but I'm wondering the need for it (and what it actually covers seems to be really weird) on a 71k 2009 Honda. The major 'pains' seem to not be covered. But it is for 4 years and if anything important goes it pays for itself...
Cost was $1700 for 4 years/48,000 and $200 deductible per visit. I double checked that I can cancel and get the prorate amount back with only a $25 fee charged, so I'm not too worried about holding onto it for a bit.

Thoughts?

Congrats on the new car Hazaro :D

That thing has more cargo space than some SUVs, and has Honda reliability and pretty good MPGs. It's as utilitarian of a car as they come. Plus doesn't it have like 12 cup holders? :p

N-Bomb

I apologize in advance for subejecting you to this, but... Someone thought this was visually acceptable?! I'd recommend that everyone involved be sacked.

2013toyotacrown.jpg

This is kind of like what happens when a parent doesn't discipline their child. Some execs are doing a bad job of keeping horseplay under control at these companies.

It's like the 90s all over again. Mercedes will be axing the CL-Class, and bringing back the S-Class Coupe. It's not official yet, but extremely likely.

http://www.wotauto.com/2013/01/02/mercedes-benz-to-bring-back-s-class-coupe/

Meh. Give me an SLK coupe and we'll have something to discuss.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I apologize in advance for subejecting you to this, but... Someone thought this was visually acceptable?! I'd recommend that everyone involved be sacked.

2013toyotacrown.jpg

This is kind of like what happens when a parent doesn't discipline their child. Some execs are doing a bad job of keeping horseplay under control at these companies.

I don't mind the Crown. Presumably it's a lexus/Toyota one size above a Camry? it's got some dusty old VIP swagger.

ascii42

2013toyotacrown.jpg

Eh, the grille shape is a decent idea that doesn't quite work in practice. Lincoln's grilles are the same way.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You don't chase anything unless its a 1990s box made out of sardine tin.

Every and any car anyone mentions, you dismiss it for some obscurely stupid, archaic or pre-conceived reason. I bet people are as tired of hearing that from you as they are of me talking shit about the FR-S and BRZ.

Besides, I drove the SLK350 and it's a shit car considering its tiny size and wheelbase.

cajunator

Banned

2013toyotacrown.jpg

That is unbelievably horrible car design.

Wubby

Makes me wonder just WHY was the Mazdaspeed 6 only a limited run vehicle? It was fast, AWD, and practically a rally car if you pushed it enough.

It was always only intended as a limited run for the US market. At the time all of our US market 6's were coming out of the Flat Rock factory which was a joint Ford venture. The Mazdaspeed 6's though came from Japan (which part of reason for higher cost). Was a fun car though. I got to use one for a while as my company car.

ascii42

Motortrend compared the Camaro 1LE to the Mustang GT Track Pack. The Camaro beat the Mustang in pretty much every way, which is interesting. The Track Pack sounds pretty pointless to me. Might as well just get a regular GT. If you want to track a Mustang, you should probably step up to the Boss.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...let_camaro_ss_1le_ford_mustang_gt_track_pack/

Apparently the 1LE beat the Boss's time around VIR, too.
3:01.5 vs. 3:02.8 (though times from different days aren't really comparable)

Seriously impressive tires, I'm thinking.

N-Bomb

You don't chase anything unless its a 1990s box made out of sardine tin.

Every and any car anyone mentions, you dismiss it for some obscurely stupid, archaic or pre-conceived reason. I bet people are as tired of hearing that from you as they are of me talking shit about the FR-S and BRZ.

Besides, I drove the SLK350 and it's a shit car considering its tiny size and wheelbase.

That's quite an exaggeration - I just don't fawn over every new living room on wheels that you think is hot shit, I expect luxury/sports cars to not look like a horse-faced female body builder, and I feel that lighter is fun(ner).

Sidenote: I'm sad today - I found that my winter wheel/tire combo is 3.5lbs heavier per corner than my summers. :(

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That is unbelievably horrible car design.

It is designed to replace a very specific niche of vehicle - a fancy, stodgy, conservative Japanese cab/limo. It looks fine.

Sidenote: I'm sad today - I found that my winter wheel/tire combo is 3.5lbs heavier per corner than my summers. :(

So what? You will literally not be able to measure the difference in performance and the miniscule extra center of gravity might be better than the miniscule weight savings.

reilo

So what? You will literally not be able to measure the difference in performance and the miniscule extra center of gravity might be better than the miniscule weight savings.

But it makes him sad. His spreadsheet is all in flux now.

iamblades

I don't mind the Crown. Presumably it's a lexus/Toyota one size above a Camry? it's got some dusty old VIP swagger.

It's certainly better than the Avalon(which is the closest thing sizewise that Toyota offers in NA), though that is a low bar. Toyota has a bad track record with full size cars, they all end up looking bloated and bland. Even the Camry is heading that direction these days.

Worth noting that the other Crown models don't have that hideous face, that it just the Athlete series. The Crown Royal is actually kind of good looking for what it is.

N-Bomb

Janky-looking rear quarter?

You get out.

I'm sorry Mr. Biden! I just never really liked how the hatch and read side glass looked, especially with the spoiler on. Too much 924, not enough 928.

That said, an interesting project might be to take an early 944, pop in the N/A drivetrain from a 968, and a few of the facelift 944 body parts. Ooh, now I kinda want to do that.

Pop-up headlights!!

I'm sorry Mr. Biden! I just never really liked how the hatch and read side glass looked, especially with the spoiler on. Too much 924, not enough 928.

That said, an interesting project might be to take an early 944, pop in the N/A drivetrain from a 968, and a few of the facelift 944 body parts. Ooh, now I kinda want to do that.

Pop-up headlights!!

I don't think I've ever heard someone criticize the 944 for not looking enough like the 928. Like, ever. I actually like the early 944 more than the late 944 and 968, too. The later style bumper that's molded into the front end I don't care for very much.

And yes, pop-up headlights are totally awesome. There's just something so charming about them.

N-Bomb

I don't think I've ever heard someone criticize the 944 for not looking enough like the 928. Like, ever. I actually like the early 944 more than the late 944 and 968, too. The later style bumper that's molded into the front end I don't care for very much.

And yes, pop-up headlights are totally awesome. There's just something so charming about them.

Well, do keep in mind that I was only talking about the rear quarters. I don't like the 928's rear so much either, but at least it has the B pillar right.

Yeah, I would open and close them on my FC sometimes just because it never got old and unmagical to see headlights appear/disappear.

Enron

Banned
Well, do keep in mind that I was only talking about the rear quarters. I don't like the 928's rear so much either, but at least it has the B pillar right.

Yeah, I would open and close them on my FC sometimes just because it never got old and unmagical to see headlights appear/disappear.

Until that one day when one of them doesn't come up/go back down.

Viperbah

Motortrend compared the Camaro 1LE to the Mustang GT Track Pack. The Camaro beat the Mustang in pretty much every way, which is interesting. The Track Pack sounds pretty pointless to me. Might as well just get a regular GT. If you want to track a Mustang, you should probably step up to the Boss.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...let_camaro_ss_1le_ford_mustang_gt_track_pack/

Apparently the 1LE beat the Boss's time around VIR, too.
3:01.5 vs. 3:02.8 (though times from different days aren't really comparable)

Seriously impressive tires, I'm thinking.

I saw that...would have liked to see the 1LE go up against the boss as well.

Here are the lap times from VIR...1LE and ZL1 are legit.

photo22_zpsb0694ee8.jpg

reilo

A Hyundai Genesi 3.8 R-Spec is 5s faster than a BRZ and only 3s ahead of a Focus ST -- a FWD Focus ST?

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahaha.

reilo

All of the local BRZs I'm finding are marked up at $29-30k. Amazing.

There's a used BRZ in town with 7k miles for $33,493 at one dealer LOL. They also have two new BRZs on their site with an unlisted price. Can't imagine the markup on that one.

All of the local BRZ's I'm finding are marked up at $29-30k. Amazing.

There's a used BRZ in town with 7k miles for $33,493 LOL

I saw an ad that said "RARE! ONLY ONE IN NORTH AMERICA"...

Yeah...

I really can't wait to see how Subaru/Toyota will step their game up with others matching them and, in some aspects, beating them.

MisterNoisy

A Hyundai Genesi 3.8 R-Spec is 5s faster than a BRZ and only 3s ahead of a Focus ST -- a FWD Focus ST?

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahaha.

The BR-Z being 3s faster than the Focus is kind of impressive, given that it has 50 less HP and damn near half the torque of the Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom