• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

What do you do when you need to move large furniture? What if you need to take some junk your local municipal waste center? What if you need to bring home a large piece of merchandise from a store like a dresser or something? I don't give these things a second thought so I'm curious how truckless-GAF deals with this.

I've rented a pickup truck before. I got a Tundra for a weekend for around $120. Much cheaper than owning a truck. I'll admit that there are some things I'd like to have bought, but didn't because I didn't have a way of moving them, but it doesn't happen enough for me to justify getting a truck.

I have always wanted to have an El Camino or Subaru Brat, though.

Yeah, the problem now though is that I currently have one and it's hard to let go of it -- I imagine all these scenarios and what a pain in the ass it would be to have to go rent a vehicle just to do X :(

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, the problem now though is that I currently have one and it's hard to let go of it -- I imagine all these scenarios and what a pain in the ass it would be to have to go rent a vehicle just to do X :(
Realistically, how many times per year will you need a pickup to haul something?

You could always get a wagon/hatchback with plenty of cargo room as a compromise. I'm sure Auto-GAF could offer some good suggestions.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Sell the frontier, find a current gen Infiniti QX56? A little expensive, I know. What's your budget?

But those cars are surprisingly quick, and have an infinite amount of room (lawl, no pun). It may not have a bed, but drop the seats and you've got all the room you need.

TylerD

Thanks to whomever mentioned Mighty Car Mods as a great YouTube channel. I am at my parents house bored this week and just finished up the first episode of season 2. Love how the show is evolving as I watch it chronologically.

Sell the frontier, find a current gen Infiniti QX56? A little expensive, I know. What's your budget?

But those cars are surprisingly quick, and have an infinite amount of room (lawl, no pun). It may not have a bed, but drop the seats and you've got all the room you need.

Budget is up to $40K, but $35K is my sweet spot. Have looked at late model certified A4, C300, S60 and new Optima SXL (I'm kinda moving into a phase where I care about feature/function more than performance -- plus, I have the FX for that).

As for the QX, I'm not a fan of going bigger. I think the FX (which my wife drives) is about as big as I'd want to go. I've thought about an EX -- could probably get a killer deal on those, but it's not the same, man.

There's nothing like being able to drive down to the nursery, throw some small trees in your truck, and get them home without having to worry about washing it out or renting it in advance.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
image_zpsa4a5c2ad.jpg

:(
the wife had an accident yesterday, luckily nobody got hurt.
passenger safety is a good thing.

N-Bomb

They want to reclaim a throne that is rightfully theirs.

BRZ/GT86/FRS on notice

You mean Honda's throne that is rightfully Mazda's? >.>

This is a really good point with the mirrors. Having them adjusted properly will eventually give you too much confidence in them. It's really important to remember that cars behind you but two lanes out probably won't show up in your mirrors, so you still need to check left and right.

For sure. Never a waste of time to take a quick look to be sure.

image_zpsa4a5c2ad.jpg

:(
the wife had an accident yesterday, luckily nobody got hurt.
passenger safety is a good thing.

Ouch! Doesn't look too bad structurally though.

matmanx1

I'm 37 and I've never owned a truck. My Dad and Father in Law both do so it's never been a problem to borrow one for a day if we really needed it for something. The utility of a truck is nice but the gas mileage, size, driving dynamics and comfort of most cars trumps that utility for me.

Realistically it all comes down to what you are currently using your Frontier for that you couldn't do with another non truck type vehicle and how often those instances occur. Most things can be hauled in a car with a little car and ingenuity.

MisterNoisy

My mirrors are adjusted properly where I don't have any blind spots but I still will do a quick turn and glance when on highways. There have been instances where people are coming up very quickly two lanes outside/inside of me and switch into the lane I am attempting to get into and without doing a quick glance would have been in a collision.

I feel so much safer maneuvering through traffic in my 330ci than I ever did in my Accord thanks to the confidence it gives me. Last Sunday I had someone pull out in front of me going around 10 when I was going 52 in a 45 and I was able to slow down safely with little drama. They did get a nice and hearty 10 second horn blast from me though.

Of course you still have to look - I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise.

And I hear you on the safety that's borne out of confidence/competent machinery - in a lesser car, you only have steering and brakes, while in a more performance-oriented machine, those both work better, but you also get acceleration as an option to avoid particularly egregious road idiocy.

My 'aha' moment was road-tripping to Charlotte last year when some Caravan-driving dipshit decided at the last minute that he did in fact want the off ramp I was on and yoked over as I was alongside him (with a truck tailgating, so brakes weren't an option), so I just dropped a gear and punched it - all he saw was a yellow flash pulling away. If I was still in my tC, I'd likely have had to see how my car handles off-roading.

A lot of home depots rent out trucks, $20 for a couple of hours or something. Just swing by, grab the truck, do your thing, drop it off. I've done that a few times and it always works out well.

Either that or you can just buy a car with 2000+ lb towing capacity and get a small utility trailer for when you need to tow things around. If I had space to store one that's what I would do.

Zapages

Infiniti Q50 teaser clip! The headlight looks freaking awesome. And the car sounds incredible too.

http://www.wotauto.com/2012/12/28/infiniti-q50-teaser-reveals-headlight-exhaust-and-engine-clip/

the Q50 is going to be based upon this concept car from last year: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/infiniti-le-concept-new-york-2012/#photo-4944282/

better images of the lights: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/infiniti-le-concept/#photo-4937996

PS: This version shown in the picture is the electric version of the car...

PSS: Ofcourse the Q50 is going to be slightly modified from this concept version of the car...

MisterNoisy

the Q50 is going to be based upon this concept car from last year: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/infiniti-le-concept-new-york-2012/#photo-4944282/

better images of the lights: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/infiniti-le-concept/#photo-4937996

PSS: Ofcourse the Q50 is going to be slightly modified from this concept version of the car...

I hope they modify it a lot, because the current concept looks bloated and overstyled to the point of parody. Gross.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, I know. It was mentioned in the article too.

Based on the camo pics of the car, the car is shaping up to look a lot like the LE. I hope the rear end doesn't.

^^^I definitely agree the concept looks like an Elantra.

MisterNoisy

Yeah, I know. It was mentioned in the article too.

Based on the camo pics of the car, the car is shaping up to look a lot like the LE. I hope the rear end doesn't.

^^^I definitely agree the concept looks like an Elantra.

Yea - take an Elantra, add a bunch of bloat to EVERY part of the car, a nice headlight cluster, the world's most ridiculous grille and a hilariously overwrought C-pillar and you have... something.

EDIT:

Is Nissan/Infiniti serious with that C-pillar and grille shape? They aren't going to actually produce cars with that are they?

sca2511

By the way. Adjust your mirrors to eliminate blind spots:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

I've driven like this for years, it's fantastic.

Also have driven like this for years and it works very well. Problems I have with it is for parallel parking and when there's a big truck blocking my rear view mirror, thus preventing me from seeing the lanes next to me.

For this problem, are blindspot mirrors a good alternative?
123288_x600.jpg

AlphaSnake

Yea - take an Elantra, add a bunch of bloat to EVERY part of the car, a nice headlight cluster, the world's most ridiculous grille and a hilariously overwrought C-pillar and you have... something.

EDIT:

Is Nissan/Infiniti serious with that C-pillar and grille shape? They aren't going to actually produce cars with that are they?

They already have.

JX35

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Truckless GAF, I need your thoughts on this: how do you cope with being truckless?

Prior to my truck, I would have never pictured myself as a truck owner. Yet in 2007, I purchased a Frontier which has served me well for various projects hauling things around including a 3 month renovation project last year.

I'm having a hard time imaging how to get by without a truck.

This year, I'll probably have to start shuttling my 2y/o around to pre-school and while the Frontier is great, it doesn't feel very "safe" with the live rear axle and it's a pain in the ass to mount the toddler car seat in there.

I'm debating between keeping the truck and getting a third car (and all of the costs associated with that like maintenance and insurance) or getting rid of the truck and just getting a new car. Problem is that I can't imagine life without a truck anymore.

What do you do when you need to move large furniture? What if you need to take some junk your local municipal waste center? What if you need to bring home a large piece of merchandise from a store like a dresser or something? I don't give these things a second thought so I'm curious how truckless-GAF deals with this.

I have used my Honda Fit to move furniture, garbage, groceries, bed rails, dangerous explosives and human waste. It is a Tardis.

Stinkles

JESUS SUFFERING CHRIST. Did they dispense that from a softserve ice cream machine?

I better get an M series now before its too late.

Stinkles

KingGondo: This one's for you. It's a bit of a lengthy review, as most of them are, but it explains the A6 in full. Power delivery, steering, handling, interior quality, etc. There are a number of things that disappoint me about the A6. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.wotauto.com/2012/12/28/audi-a6-3-0t-review/

The Jaguar XF review will be put up shortly after.

Did you write this blog? It's awesome. Although it cuts off the lest side text on ipad safari. But if I can make a couple of critiques as a former professional editor - get to the point quicker, it's a critique of current beemers for the first half, avoid superlatives like 'massive dead zone' in text that work well in conversation and try to contextualize the vehicles for people who haven't tried the alternatives.

AlphaSnake

Did you write this blog? It's awesome. Although it cuts off the lest side text on ipad safari. But if I can make a couple of critiques as a former professional editor - get to the point quicker, it's a critique of current beemers for the first half, avoid superlatives like 'massive dead zone' in text that work well in conversation and try to contextualize the vehicles for people who haven't tried the alternatives.

Yes. I used to do gaming journalism, I created PSXExtreme 13 years ago...but videogames got boring and repetitive for me so I haven't written in ages (the site is now being fully managed by a buddy). Years later, the urge to just write again picked up and I figured I might as well focus on cars since that's what I love more than anything.

I'm the editor and founder of the site, Reilo designed the whole thing largely ground up.

Your feedback is actually spot on. I've re-written this review about 4 times. It didn't start out that way or end that way. Ultimately, I felt like I had to throw in a bit of op-ed in there to distinguish my review from all other reviews. My writing style has always been to start off with a bit of history, to be a bit more educational and informative than your standard by-the-book review. Might explain why I like James May more so than Hammond and Clarkson...hmmm

It is drawn out, but I do sort of hint that you can skip it all and just jump down the paragraphs if you wish. ;)

And yes, superlatives. I tend to cut most of them out, actually. I write how I speak sometimes, then I have to proof read and cut a lot of that out. I keep a few just to emphasize some of my points. The dead zone really is that bad.

Also, cars are such interesting things to me, because there can be so much variation from one to the other, despite being in the same class and segment. So I feel like I have to almost have to pin-point just how poor certain aspects of a car are, by using superlatives. Electric steering will always have a dead zone, and so it's up to me to illustrate just how bad that dead zone is - in this case it was using the word "massive" to make a point. In the case of another sedan where the dead zone is better, I'd have wiggle room to throw in a word that is better than 'massive'. Hehe.

Stinkles

Here's my full Jaguar XF review.
http://www.wotauto.com/2012/12/29/jaguar-xf-5-0l-review/

It explains exactly why I prefer the Jaguar over the Audi A6. It also goes into quick comparisons against my drives of the:

BMW 550i
Merc E550
Infiniti M56
Hyundai Genesis 5.0

That was nice. almost convinced me to consider the Jag over the 6, in spite of my bias. The superlatives will work better once your audience knows you and has context for where you get passionate. My absolute favorite auto journalist right now is Bengt Halverson, because he's so straightforward and THE ALL TIME WORST EVER was Tara Weingarten who I swear didn't know a fucking thing about cars but did like expensive ones. The fact that Begt is hidden away in Alaska airlines magazine and Tara was the NEWSWEEK auto journalist is a crime of sad proportions.

AlphaSnake

That was nice. almost convinced me to consider the Jag over the 6, in spite of my bias. The superlatives will work better once your audience knows you and has context for where you get passionate.

Right, eventually they'll sort of scale themselves out. Notice how I referred to the Audi's dead zone and reminded people I called it massive? I'd imagine that people will get an indication in their heads of where the Jaguar stands in that regard based on my account of its steering feel.

On the topic of auto journalists. I typically dislike most of the very popular ones (I don't consider Top Gear "journalism"). I am very partial to Jason Plato and Tiff Needell though, their seasoned backgrounds and immense skill are too much to ignore - whether it's print or television.

Chris Harris is a pretty solid writer and presenter, for that matter, as well. Far and away, Car and Driver has the worst writers. Motor Trend, with the exception of Carlos Lago, are a bit shit too. Road & Track, and Automobile Magazine are the best US publications. Road & Track is usually the most blunt (they dislike the BRZ/FR-S wooo!!) and Automobile does reviews from the perspective of 3-6 critics.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm finally going into a dealership and buying a used car tomorrow. I feel pretty goddam prepared, but am really unsure of how low I can get the price down (It was listed 13k, is now 11.5 and is 'internet price' which from what I can tell vs the private seller quotes from AutoTrader, KBB, Edmunds, is pretty low. I feel like I need to establish a base price to work from, but don't want to walk out on what is their best best deal).

It's so frustrating. :'[

P.S. AlphaSnake, awesome posts.

I'm finally going into a dealership and buying a used car tomorrow. I feel pretty goddam prepared, but am really unsure of how low I can get the price down (It was listed 13k, is now 11.5 and is 'internet price' which from what I can tell vs the private seller quotes from AutoTrader, KBB, Edmunds, is pretty low. I feel like I need to establish a base price to work from, but don't want to walk out on what is their best best deal).

It's so frustrating. :'[

P.S. AlphaSnake, awesome posts.

That seems like a lot for a three year old 71,000 mile Fit. You should be able to haggle it down some IMO. That's like 24,000 miles a year...

ameratsu

UDulRl.jpg

Fantastic... it's -20c outside and the radiator on my integra started leaking. It's slow but will need to be fixed eventually. The previous owner showed me a receipt showing he had it replaced only a few years ago. Needless to say, I am not a fan of the aluminum core/plastic end tank radiator design.

As much as I want to keep my integra bone stock, I don't want to buy another shitty radiator that's going to crap out in a couple years. Especially considering I was quoted $177 from a parts store and $255/$277 from another an "oem" replacement (wish I lived in the US for cheaper car parts).

Given these prices, and the fact that this radiator lasted <4 years, I think I am going to just get an aftermarket all aluminum radiator ($155 + $45 for a 12 in slim AC fan), because it should be more durable in the long run and it's the same price as the plastic/aluminum ones after taxes.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That seems like a lot for a three year old 71,000 mile Fit. You should be able to haggle it down some IMO. That's like 24,000 miles a year...
It's below Dealer retail already, close to Private listing price. It's a 09 Honda so it'll go forever basically :p

Just gotta watch out on fees and ask for OTD and hope the fees aren't insane now.

matmanx1

Then again, those cars tend to last several hundred thousand miles and the resale value on most Honda cars is pretty strong. It all depends on how much the dealership wants to make a sale.

I've heard the last of the month is the best time to buy a car from a dealership but I'm not sure how much truth there is in that anymore since internet sales are so much more common.

Stinkles

Then again, those cars tend to last several hundred thousand miles and the resale value on most Honda cars is pretty strong. It all depends on how much the dealership wants to make a sale.

I've heard the last of the month is the best time to buy a car from a dealership but I'm not sure how much truth there is in that anymore since internet sales are so much more common.

Used Honda prices are aberrant anyway. They are certainly worth it, since you also benefit eventually form the high resale value, so it's a wash. My Fit has been the most fun, flexible, car I have ever owned. The only problem the Fit has ever given me is the Tire Pressure Monitor - it's absurdly sensitive to changes in temperature and therefore pressure, so the TPS light is off all summer and on all winter, no matter what pressure the tires are at.

The VTEC (seriously) in the Fit is torque and highly aspirated and fun. It has great response and while the car is not fast, it feels fast and connected. It also has a very smooth and predictable power band that at least helps you predict the anemic lane shifts on the freeway - you're never caught off guard by an inability to accelerate because the engine communicates exactly what it can and can't do.

Steering is epic, as are visibility and grip, so as dumb and pedestrian as it looks, it feels like a little driver's car.

Road noise is the only real low note, and while it's no worse than anything else in this price range, it's wearying after three or four hours on a long trip. But it's not for long trips. Mileage is great, although the car encourages less than efficient driving :) - I got the "non" Sport version, which means no cruise control or paddle shifters, and that's the only difference (wheels and armrest aside).

The space is AMAZING - the magic seats flip up so you can roll a bike in the back seat floor area, or fold flat turning it effectively into a little van. It is FAR more capacious than my Mazda CX7. And I swear it feels as big and storage-y as our old CR-V.

Stinkles

And goddamn if Mazda ever sells a Mazdaspeed or AWD version of the new 6, I am all over it. Most handsome boring Sedan ever, but the Wagon could be god tier with the right engine and drivertrain combo. Like A4 Avant handsome.

6AAfE.jpg

Culex

Banned
And goddamn if Mazda ever sells a Mazdaspeed or AWD version of the new 6, I am all over it. Most handsome boring Sedan ever, but the Wagon could be god tier with the right engine and drivertrain combo. Like A4 Avant handsome.

6AAfE.jpg

Makes me wonder just WHY was the Mazdaspeed 6 only a limited run vehicle? It was fast, AWD, and practically a rally car if you pushed it enough.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Makes me wonder just WHY was the Mazdaspeed 6 only a limited run vehicle? It was fast, AWD, and practically a rally car if you pushed it enough.

Because they priced it out of competition ($28k MSRP, which dealers happily marked up) and it didn't sell as well as the Speed3.

N-Bomb

Hey guys, what is the maintenance like for an 06-08 A4?
Will it be far greater than say about the same year WRX?

I don't know what it's like, but it will definitely be greater. Scoobies are pretty reliable, Audis are not something to drive without a warranty or lots of money.

Not to mention middle-class Japanese vs. high-end German.

N-Bomb

Because they priced it out of competition ($28k MSRP, which dealers happily marked up) and it didn't sell as well as the Speed3.

I can say that although I find it to be a bit of a pig, that is a potent car. It's comfortable on long trips, too.

However the AWD setup is kind of shite. He had to spend near $5k recently to replace the transfer case and some other stuff up front because of something the dealer didn't catch. Disappointing. Something about the metal it was made of being porous or something and leaking fluid? I dunno.

Also, the STOCK wheels rubbed the rear fenders. Whut.

But still. Fun car. Nice interior.

Crap, I forgot multiquote again. Sorry. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom