• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The BR-Z being 3s faster than the Focus is kind of impressive, given that it has 50 less HP and damn near half the torque of the Ford.

The Ford Focus ST is a FWD car and weighs 150lbs more. And costs several thousand less.

MisterNoisy

The Ford Focus ST is a FWD car and weighs 150lbs more. And costs several thousand less.

Just looked - the Focus is something like 450 pounds heavier, so it's a bit less impressive - I thought they were closer in terms of weight, but the Focus is pretty chunky.

Mobius 1

Started the STI this morning and the whine from the engine bay went from faint to loud and annoying.

Time for new alternator/power steering belts.

reilo

Just looked - the Focus is something like 450 pounds heavier, so it's a bit less impressive - I thought they were closer in terms of weight, but the Focus is pretty chunky.

Hah. It is. The figures I found are wrong.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The astonishing thing is actually the RS5 being faster than a BMW M5 and BMW M6 - with 100HP less.

It becomes less astonishing when you find out there are 4 different people who contribute to those laptimes, all of whom are editors for the mag, and not professional drivers.

Inconsistency much, Car and Driver?

These year end lightning lap measure are absolutely pointless in how C&D executes them.

1) Different drivers, not professionals
2) Different days
3) Different conditions

I saw an ad that said "RARE! ONLY ONE IN NORTH AMERICA"...

Yeah...

I really can't wait to see how Subaru/Toyota will step their game up with others matching them and, in some aspects, beating them.

But for now They are the game, and I believe they are up to the task, since they reset the bar.

AlphaSnake

What bar would that be?

The 1980s bar of exceptionally slow, post-gasoline-crisis vehicles?

The BRZ hasn't done anything that the S2000 and RX8 haven't done 10 years ago...in many cases much, much better.

toyota needs to go back and take car design cues from this:
7815782758_2e1736b455_z.jpg

I've always wanted an LS400, don't think I'd be able to afford the gas though.

Aguirre

I've always wanted an LS400, don't think I'd be able to afford the gas though.

my dad has one but he only uses it for weekend driving. his daily car is a camry but the ls400 just puts a smile on his face. he loves that car, spends more timing cleaning and looking after it than his camry... and his camry isnt even a year old!

N-Bomb

What bar would that be?

The 1980s bar of exceptionally slow, post-gasoline-crisis vehicles?

The BRZ hasn't done anything that the S2000 and RX8 haven't done 10 years ago...in many cases much, much better.

The Toyobaru is actually available for new purchase, currently, which those others are not. And exceptionally slow? You like live rear axles, don't you?

Until that one day when one of them doesn't come up/go back down.

If you rip your pants, do you just leave them on and cry? No, this is when you fix the headlights. In adultland, when things break, you fix them.

AlphaSnake

The Toyobaru is actually available for new purchase, currently, which those others are not. And exceptionally slow? You like live rear axles, don't you?

What does new or used have anything to do with bars being set and reset? You don't reset a bar just because you're a new car. Once a bar is set, it's freaking there until someone can legitimately remove it. Just because a McLaren F1 left production didn't mean that every other 200MPH car after it "reset" its bar. Bar resets don't work that way.

And last I checked a Genesis 3.8GT, a car you can buy right this very minute as Reilo pointed out, is NOT a Mustang. Thus it doesn't have a live rear. So your joke landed face first.

reilo

2014-mazda6-40.jpg

If it wasn't for the Flying M, would anyone believe that belonged to a $20k MSRP midsize Japanese sedan?

N-Bomb

What does new or used have anything to do with bars being set and reset? You don't reset a bar just because you're a new car. Once a bar is set, it's freaking there until someone can legitimately remove it. Just because a McLaren F1 left production didn't mean that every other 200MPH car after it "reset" its bar. Bar resets don't work that way.

And last I checked a Genesis 3.8GT, a car you can buy right this very minute as Reilo pointed out, is NOT a Mustang. Thus it doesn't have a live rear. So your joke landed face first.

Let's play for a bit. Only talking about performance and price.

S2000
-engine (2.2L) was even higher-strung, but yes, made more power
-convertible vs. coupe
-100ish lbs heavier
-At least $10k more expensive MSRP

RX-8
-comparable, engine-wise
-Almost 300lbs heavier
-tighter turning radius
-$8000+ more expensive

Genesis 2.0T (3.8 isn't remotely price competitive)
-Similar price
-Engine is far beefier. Far.
-Beefier.
-Heaviest of the bunch at almost 600lbs more than the Torobaru (and you can feel it)
-Larger turning radius

Other than the different body style, I might give you the S200, if it weren't for the price. The other ones aren't really even in the same league. For better or worse.

Has it (re)set the bar? I dunno. Closest in performance is probably the S2000, but the Gencoupe is obviously the leader if you want powerrrrrr (and iffy looks!)

2014-mazda6-40.jpg

If it wasn't for the Flying M, would anyone believe that belonged to a $20k MSRP midsize Japanese sedan?

I'm not really knowledgeable about interiors (aside from ugly/non-ugly), but it looks about like what I expect most non-performance cars to look like these days.

Hi car GAF! You guys are funny!

Aren't we? :D

reilo

-$8000+ more expensive

The RX-8 had a MSRP of $26k, wtf dude.

Genesis 2.0T (3.8 isn't remotely price competitive)

It starts at $29k. How is it not remotely price competitive considering the FR-S and BRZ are ridiculously marked up and the BRZ only $2k cheaper for the Limited edition? Which orifice are you pulling your numbers out of?

but it looks about like what I expect most non-performance cars to look like these days.

Uhm...

I'm not really knowledgeable about interiors (aside from ugly/non-ugly)

Oh. Ok. Understood.

ascii42

It starts at $29k. How is it not remotely price competitive considering the FR-S and BRZ are ridiculously marked up and the BRZ only $2k cheaper for the Limited edition? Which orifice are you pulling your numbers out of?

Dealer mark-ups shouldn't count for the sake of argument.

reilo

Dealer mark-ups shouldn't count for the sake of argument.

Hence why I said that the BRZ Limited starts at $27.5K. His argument that it is "not even remotely price competitive" is ridiculous.

EDIT: 3.8 R-Spec on HyundaiUSA.com has a MSRP of $28,750.

ascii42

Hence why I said that the BRZ Limited starts at $27.5K. His argument that it is "not even remotely price competitive" is ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying.

One thing to consider is that the BRZ Limited is basically loaded. An automatic transmission is pretty much the only option, I think. The Genesis Coupe has the Gran Touring trim above the R-Spec, which is $32k. I think the Genesis Coupe is a pretty good deal at just about any level, though.

reilo

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying.

One thing to consider is that the BRZ Limited is basically loaded. An automatic transmission is pretty much the only option, I think. The Genesis Coupe has the Gran Touring trim above the R-Spec, which is $32k. I think the Genesis Coupe is a pretty good deal at just about any level, though.

There's a brand new 2013 3.8 R-Spec Grand Touring for $29,998 at my local dealer. This discussion is over.

AlphaSnake

I won't even dignify N-Bomb's dumbass post with a response (thanks, btw, Reilo). He was just throwing random price numbers out there without so much as a f-ing Google search.

My fingers and my keyboard deserve better than this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Test drove Infiniti M37x as low rent alternative to A6. Surpringly taut and feels more compact than it is. Great, great engine note. Cockpit obviously not as sharp as Audis but again, pretty good. I really liked how simple the nav and electronics were. Back seats a bit tight, but still roomy enough for long road trips.

ascii42

Nav screen seems a bit small and I'm not a huge fan of fake wood, but otherwise that's pretty sharp.

Toyota needs to take some lessons.

The fake wood looks quite good in that photo. But then, I have no real problems with fake wood, especially if it's done tastefully.

Granted, pretty much anything looks tasteful next to my '89 Riv (actually not my pic, my interior is more tan, same wonderful cheap crappy wood though):
leZKt.jpg

ascii42

Dat burlwood printer paper veneer!

I actually have a soft spot for terrible GM interiors from the 80's. There's an earnest quality to their cost-cutting despite the horrific results.

At least the seats are usually comfortable.

I actually generally like the interior of my dad's '84 Olds Toronado. The design actually makes sense and the materials are better than my Riviera. The top of the dash isn't cheap plastic, which is unusual for a GM car from that time. Plus, you've got to love the crotch vent below the steering wheel. My Olds has those too.
in28.jpg

MisterNoisy

At least the seats are usually comfortable.

I actually generally like the interior of my dad's '84 Olds Toronado. The design actually makes sense and the materials are better than my Riviera. The top of the dash isn't cheap plastic, which is unusual for a GM car from that time. Plus, you've got to love the crotch vent below the steering wheel. My Olds has those too.
in28.jpg

My pops had an '84 Skylark - I've seen how far the rabbit hole goes. Like I said - it's almost endearing how low they went in that era. They're still recovering, as Camaro owners can attest to. :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The astonishing thing is actually the RS5 being faster than a BMW M5 and BMW M6 - with 100HP less.

It becomes less astonishing when you find out there are 4 different people who contribute to those laptimes, all of whom are editors for the mag, and not professional drivers.

Inconsistency much, Car and Driver?

These year end lightning lap measure are absolutely pointless in how C&D executes them.

1) Different drivers, not professionals
2) Different days
3) Different conditions

C&D devotes as many column inches complaining about how small radio buttons are on "foreign" cars as it does to specs and perf.

MisterNoisy

C&D devotes as many column inches complaining about how small radio buttons are on "foreign" cars as it does to specs and perf.

I'll take buttons over that bullshit touchscreen only CUE system in new Caddys. That shit makes iDrive seem like ergonomic genius, and it's not like iDrive or any of the other menu-based things was completely awful - they just require more tech savvy than the typical 50-year-old autorag writer can summon, much like MyFordTouch.

N-Bomb

The RX-8 had a MSRP of $26k, wtf dude.

MSN autos. $25,5 for FR-S 6MT, 09 S2000 6MT for $35, 2013 2.0T manual for $24.2(3.8 R-Spec for $28,7), and 2010 RX-8 R3 for 32,1. You're right, the more basic RX-8 is $26,6. That one slipped my mind somehow.

And yes, you can't count markups.

I won't even dignify N-Bomb's dumbass post with a response (thanks, btw, Reilo). He was just throwing random price numbers out there without so much as a f-ing Google search.

My fingers and my keyboard deserve better than this.

As I said, MSN autos is where I got the prices. Maybe if my post had included heated leather seats, and a V8 with a suitably-tuned exhaust note and some upmarket badging, you'd have liked it better?

2013-bmw-m550d-xdrive-badge-photo-465472.jpg

Gorgeous. N bomb is trolling right?

No. What did I say bad about it?

ascii42

I'll take buttons over that bullshit touchscreen only CUE system in new Caddys. That shit makes iDrive seem like ergonomic genius, and it's not like iDrive or any of the other menu-based things was completely awful - they just require more tech savvy than the typical 50-year-old autorag writer can summon, much like MyFordTouch.

Available buttons and knobs strangely enough make Chevy/Buick/GMC's touchscreen system better to use than what they put in Cadillacs. Way to go GM.

Aguirre

i still think toyota had the best suv interior:
20110314203326_2011-03-11_16.08.12.jpg

you may think it looks bland, but when you're in it... its perfection. the seating position is perfect, you overlook the bonnet and can see clearly. also, look how the gear stick is positioned - towards you. so comfy its unreal.
landcruiser 80 series

i had one a year ago as my daily drive but salt ultimately killed her :(

C6 Z06's are starting to come down in price quickly as the C7's get close. Will have to see if I just end up getting a C6Z still under warranty or if the C7 will be close in performance/laptimes.

ascii42

C6 Z06's are starting to come down in price quickly as the C7's get close. Will have to see if I just end up getting a C6Z still under warranty or if the C7 will be close in performance/laptimes.

I doubt the C7 will perform as well as a Z06, but it'll probably be a better car to live with.

J-Rzez

Unless they pulled off something revolutionary chassis wise I doubt it especially considering the "LT1" is such a minimal upgrade in base figures as far as what was told thus far. Styling wise sure, it "may" look a million times better, I can see that being the case from the camo shots and leaks thus far.

The real question is if they actually made the interior respectable this time. Sure the new gauges (if true) might be cool, but we'll see if GM finally put an acceptable interior for a car in it's price range in there. They've been saying since the C4 they've "brought our A game to the interior, finally", and each time they brought out the same interior made from rat leather and recycled plano fishing tackle boxes.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
-Reposting-

Purchased a Warranty Solutions Extended Service Contract at the 5 star level:
https://www.warrantysolutions.com/autowarranty/b2bnlf/docs/2012/5StarBrochure.pdf

It's owned/backed by Wells Fargo/Wachovia, but I'm wondering the need for it (and what it actually covers seems to be really weird) on a 71k 2009 Honda. The major 'pains' seem to not be covered. But it is for 4 years and if anything important goes it pays for itself.
Cost was $1700 for 4 years/48,000 and $200 deductible per visit. I double checked that I can cancel and get the prorate amount back with only a $25 fee charged, so I'm not too worried about holding onto it for a bit.

Thoughts?

N-Bomb

Official pics of the coupe/convertible facelift:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/04/mercedes-benz-reveals-freshened-2014-e-class-coupe-and-convertib/

I can't deal with that front fascia. I just can't.

I don't like this droopy front end on recent Mercs one bit. Looks like an Elephant sat on all their cars.

i still think toyota had the best suv interior:
20110314203326_2011-03-11_16.08.12.jpg

you may think it looks bland, but when you're in it... its perfection. the seating position is perfect, you overlook the bonnet and can see clearly. also, look how the gear stick is positioned - towards you. so comfy its unreal.
landcruiser 80 series

Looks fine to me. I'm not big on fancy interiors anyway.

-Reposting-

It's owned/backed by Wells Fargo/Wachovia, but I'm wondering the need for it (and what it actually covers seems to be really weird) on a 71k 2009 Honda.

Thoughts?

I think it might be a waste. My dad has never had a warranty issue with his '98 CRV, although my friend's 2003 Civic had constant problems with the cooling and lubrication systems. I'm of the opinion that any problems that are going to happen either happen early on, or much later, if at all.

Viperbah

I think it will be close, but from the little info that we know already the C6Z should outperform the base C7.

The new LT1 has good numbers under the curve, so its closer to an LS7 than peak HP numbers would suggest, but it will probably weigh more and it won't come with 335's out back.

ascii42

I think it will be close, but from the little info that we know already the C6Z should outperform the base C7.

The new LT1 has good numbers under the curve, so its closer to an LS7 than peak HP numbers would suggest, but it will probably weigh more and it won't come with 335's out back.

True. We also don't know the weight for the C7 (besides what it is in GT5, which I don't remember off the top of my head). A C7 Grand Sport could push it close to the C6 Z06, if they make one.

MisterNoisy

-Reposting-

https://www.warrantysolutions.com/autowarranty/b2bnlf/docs/2012/5StarBrochure.pdf

It's owned/backed by Wells Fargo/Wachovia, but I'm wondering the need for it (and what it actually covers seems to be really weird) on a 71k 2009 Honda. The major 'pains' seem to not be covered. But it is for 4 years and if anything important goes it pays for itself.
Cost was $1700 for 4 years/48,000 and $200 deductible per visit. I double checked that I can cancel and get the prorate amount back with only a $25 fee charged, so I'm not too worried about holding onto it for a bit.

Thoughts?

Would it be possible to drop that $1700 in a savings account or something else that would accrue interest and use it in the event something happens instead? Hondas are pretty durable in my experience, and the interwebs seem to agree that the Fit is particularly reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom