• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubc35

Rengoku said:
Isn't the Subaru version of the FT-86 supposed to be revealed in Geneva? When's that happening?
They released some info on it but no pictures. With Mitsu killing off the Evo I'm concerned the STI might be next.

[edit] I have no idea if those pics are supposed to represent what the car looks like IRL.

J-Rzez

Pein said:
Its official the Evolution is dead.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/02/report-mitsubishi-official-says-evo-franchise-is-dead

Fuck, I loved the evo. I was close to getting one too but insurance was insane on it. R.I.P my favorite car.

Well, I guess my Evo's going to go up in value now at least being one way to look at it. Unfortunately a true legend is dying here. Well, at least there's other manufacturers still out there that cares about enthusiasts, and they'll be getting my money as Mitsu has just became a shittier build quality version of Toyota when they killed off their fun cars.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
dubc35 said:
They released some info on it but no pictures. With Mitsu killing off the Evo I'm concerned the STI might be next.

[edit] I have no idea if those pics are supposed to represent what the car looks like IRL.
Subaru isn't floundering in all areas in the US like Mitsubishi is. Last time I checked, they were quite healthy.

The reason Mitsu canned the EVO is because they are moving to focus on EV cars, and in their mind, the EVO has no place in that type of lineup.

Subaru of America also just saw a 20% increase in sales from last year and proclaimed it as "the best start to a year they've ever had". I wouldn't worry about the STi.

J-Rzez

doitlive said:
The Supra is an overrated car.

LOL... I mean, I don't know how else to reply to that one. The Mark IV Supra was, and still is to this day an incredible machine. Not only did it have one of the most grossly overbuilt motors of all time, it also handled incredibly well, and was styled well, with the interior really being a "cockpit" for any enthusiast.

Zyzyxxz

reilo said:
Subaru isn't floundering in all areas in the US like Mitsubishi is. Last time I checked, they were quite healthy.

The reason Mitsu canned the EVO is because they are moving to focus on EV cars, and in their mind, the EVO has no place in that type of lineup.

Subaru of America also just saw a 20% increase in sales from last year and proclaimed it as "the best start to a year they've ever had". I wouldn't worry about the STi.

Subaru sells to up-market customers, mainly people who are in the middle class and up, if you look at snow winter states if it aint trucks its all subuaru's.

Mitsubishi on the other hand tries to market in the same category as Toyota and Honda and over the last decade has fallen behind with only recent times to have slightly caught up.

Jamesfrom818 said:
You guys are still talking about the FT-86? This is the star of Geneva for me

audi-a3-sedan-live-geneva-2011.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/01/geneva-2011-audi-a3-sedan-concept-opens-the-show-in-style/

It looks good, but what the fuck is Audi doing with these cars? What's the difference between an A4 and this? Or the 4 door A5? Last couple of years, any time I see an Audi driving down the road I have to do a double take to see what type it is. I fail to see the point of their strategy. Furthermore all the models look almost exactly alike (this A3 here being an exception, it looks beautiful).

Pterion

Fallout-NL said:
It looks good, but what the fuck is Audi doing with these cars? What's the difference between an A4 and this? Or the 4 door A5? Last couple of years, any time I see an Audi driving down the road I have to do a double take to see what type it is. I fail to see the point of their strategy. Furthermore all the models look almost exactly alike (this A3 here being an exception, it looks beautiful).
First time an A3 didn't look like crap imo. Too bad it's going to cost closer to a current gen A4, mark my words.

Anyway, I'm pretty impressed by the new 650i interior. Who said BMW couldn't make interiors?

attachment.php

F32 M3, you will be mine. :p

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Fallout-NL said:

What do you mean what is "Audi" doing? BMW practically started the whole fad back in the 80s of having all of their cars look identical with only different lengths separating them. BMW still practices this today, actually. Benz is slowly getting away from this characteristic, but had also practiced it for 20+ years, up until most recently with their current lineup.

As far as the reasoning behind it; simple Business 101: you give the customer what they want at a price they can afford. Can't afford the Audi A8? We have the Audi A6 that looks much alike (if not better, imo) and offers a lot of the technology and features of the A8. Can't afford the A6? The A4 is still quite a roomy vehicle with a nice motor, AWD, it has the looks you liked of the A8 and A6 and is offered with quite a lot of nice features.

Perhaps you're upset at how much the A4 grew over the past one and you're looking for something more akin to the past-gen A4 you currently own? Or hey, once again, maybe you want an Audi sedan, but can't afford the A4 and you don't want an A3 hatchback? Thus, the A3 sedan.

It's a simple trickling of DNA. It's quite effective.

Fallout-NL said:

I think its supposed to be smaller than the A4.

A4: 3 series :: A3 : 1 series

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
My god, that A3 is perfect. It's everything I want in a vehicle. 400 + hp, 28 mpg, AWD, stunning good looks and its compact. I can't even imagine how sexy the S version will be.

dubc35 said:

Subaru is being very secretive of its version of the ft-86, all I know is fanboys will be enraged.

I don't think the STI will go, since Subaru is not in the financial trouble that Mitsubishi is in.

That's pretty awesome. I'm thinking it'll cost twice as much as an Elise though.
Gouty said:
My god, that A3 is perfect. It's everything I want in a vehicle. 400 + hp, 28 mpg, AWD, stunning good looks and its compact. I can't even imagine how sexy the S version will be.

I've fallen in love with concept cars too. it usually doesn't work out.

edit: just saw the interior. that is FUUUUUUUGLY. Huge step down from what Audi has been doing recently.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
its like toyota getting rid of the supra all over again. or chevy losing the camero.

im sure it'll be back one day.

honestly, the eclipse needs a redesign, i hate the current look. or bring back the 3000gt.

Bad_Boy said:
its like toyota getting rid of the supra all over again. or chevy losing the camero.

im sure it'll be back one day.

honestly, the eclipse needs a redesign, i hate the current look. or bring back the 3000gt.
They're getting out of the sports car business. Evo is done for. I doubt they will bring back the eclipse, except maybe with a weaker engine. 3000gt has no chance.

AlphaSnake

Gouty said:

That is the S-version you're looking at. No standard A3 is ever going to have over 400HP, look that aggressive, and sit that low.

Chris R

Anyone ever use one of those fix your own windshield ding kits? Any good? Any brand preference? Breakup means there are a shitload of little rocks ready to be thrown at my car :(

WoodWERD

Once my gsxr sells, it will be time to start looking at ditching my poor old '98 Prelude. I'm leaning towards a lightly used mid-size like the Acura TL or Lexus IS, but these new Optimas are starting to pique my interest. WWGD?

Zyzyxxz

soujiro_seta said:

Heh and they thought they could kill this event back when it was called Crystal Cove, motherfuckers only made it bigger!

Mw182006 said:
Once my gsxr sells, it will be time to start looking at ditching my poor old '98 Prelude. I'm leaning towards a lightly used mid-size like the Acura TL or Lexus IS, but these new Optimas are starting to pique my interest. WWGD?

I would take a serious look at the Hyundai Sonata/Kia Optima variants. You can get a fully loaded 200hp/2.0 engine trim for something around 26-27K and you get all the frigging bells and whistles (including heated seats). The turbo versions should be out too if 274 horsepower tickles your fancy.

http://blog.roadandtrack.com/audi-reports-record-results-at-annual-meeting/

Audi has not made a decision yet, publicly at least, as to when the well-received Audi A3 sedan, which was shown as a concept at the Geneva Auto Show last week will go on sale. However de Nysschen said it was designed at Volkswagen’s design studio in Santa Monica with American buyers in mind. He also said that, since the A4 has naturally grown in size and price, there is room for a smaller and less expensive sedan in Audi’s lineup.

Shut up and take my money!

Wrote off my Tracker on the weekend. Lucky to be alive, really.

Anyways, now I'm looking for another vehicle. Something with a lower centre of gravity this time I think.

I think I want a Japanese hatchback of some sort. Has to be white, automatic transmission, good on gas, and has to have a cool look to it. Looking to spend 10-12K, so I imagine I'm gonna go used.

I was looking at Honda Fits, they seem okay. I'm really not a car guy, though. Any suggestions?

DasRaven

Whoompthereitis said:
Wrote off my Tracker on the weekend. Lucky to be alive, really.

Anyways, now I'm looking for another vehicle. Something with a lower centre of gravity this time I think.

I think I want a Japanese hatchback of some sort. Has to be white, automatic transmission, good on gas, and has to have a cool look to it. Looking to spend 10-12K, so I imagine I'm gonna go used.

I was looking at Honda Fits, they seem okay. I'm really not a car guy, though. Any suggestions?

1. Any Honda Fit Sport (great all-round capability for people and things)
2. Any Mazda 3 hatch (not great on gas, but decent power and good handling)
3. 06-08 Toyota Prius (superb on gas, decent power, biggest interior)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DasRaven said:
1. Any Honda Fit Sport (not a base)
2. Any Mazda 3
3. 06-08 Toyota Prius

I have a Honda Fit base. It is in every way identical to the Sport with the following exceptions:

Spoilers
Arm Rest
Paddle Shifters/radio controls

I actually ordered a Sport, but they sold it out from under us. After doing the comparison of features and realizing I was an old man, I settled for the non sport (base) with no lasting harm. The cost difference isn't dramatic, but is it worth it? Dunno. Ironically if there had been no AUX input on the non Sport's stereo, I'd have waited.

Two thumbs up for any Fit.
Two thumbs up for Mazda 3. Especially 5 door.
Prius is nice but EXPENSIVE.

IMPORTANT HONDA FIT FACT:

You can fit a Grand Piano in that bitch. Magic Seats ftw.

DasRaven

Fit Sport over Base is all my subjective opinion. I found that armrest honestly very necessary in a cozy car like the Fit.
And since the Fit will be at the bottom of his price range, buy the top model for resale purposes. They look better too with the body kit.
If I remember correctly, Sports also have available factory navigation unlike the base.

Prius will top his budget, but have lowest total cost of ownership given the inevitable rise of gas prices.

Thanks guys.

Gonna go check out a 2010 Fit today. Guy's asking 12K for it (this is Canadian dollars) but it's likely I can talk him down.

Also, at lunch I'm gonna pop by the Toyota dealership down the street and see what's up.

Stinkles

Whoompthereitis said:
What about 2007 VW Rabbit hatchbacks? They any good?

How about Hyundai Accents?

VW has reliability issues but is fun to drive and "cool"

Accent, not my cup of tea. At all.

Runus

Whoompthereitis said:

They are definitely more hit or miss on reliability. I know people with both Hyundai's and VW's that have had zero problems or in the shop every other week. VW are fun to drive though. My sister has a Rabbit that has never given her any issues.

AlphaSnake

Whoompthereitis said:

My mom has a 2009. It's a GREAT car. Handles like a mother, goes with some serious pep (170HP/170TRQ on that tiny car = solid). Plus the interior is top-notch, quality stuff.

AlphaSnake said:
My mom has a 2009. It's a GREAT car. Handles like a mother, goes with some serious pep (170HP/170TRQ on that tiny car = solid). Plus the interior is top-notch, quality stuff.

You talking about the Accent or the Rabbit?

DasRaven

Whoompthereitis said:

As a former 2x VW owner, I advise you to stay away. German+out of warranty = expensive for everything.

As a current Hyundai owner, I advise you to avoid the Accent even though 2007 was in the midst of the Hyundai/Kia reliability renaissance because you can do better.
In your price range, look more at the Elantra Touring than the Accent 3-door.

He's talking about the Rabbit (with the 2.5L inline5), no Accent ever made has 170hp or tq.

Fuck, there's this used 2010 Kia Soul at a local dealer that I REALLY want. More than I should spend though.

help me out here guys...

1. Kia Soul- yay or nay? I know the look of it is a 'love it or hate it' thing. But to me, I fall in the love camp. The one I'm looking at is my dream car. How are these in terms of reliability?

2. When buying pre-owned vehicles from a dealer, how much 'wiggle room' can I expect on price? I'm usually not much of a 'haggler', but for something like this I feel like I have to be more aggressive. I'm looking to show up and pay for the whole thing with a bank draft/cash, so no financing. Based on that, should I expect them to bend hard on the price? Not sure how these things work. Any tips for haggling would be great...

Stinkles

Whoompthereitis said:
Fuck, there's this used 2010 Kia Soul at a local dealer that I REALLY want. More than I should spend though.

help me out here guys...

1. Kia Soul- yay or nay? I know the look of it is a 'love it or hate it' thing. But to me, I fall in the love camp. The one I'm looking at is my dream car. How are these in terms of reliability?

2. When buying pre-owned vehicles from a dealer, how much 'wiggle room' can I expect on price? I'm usually not much of a 'haggler', but for something like this I feel like I have to be more aggressive. I'm looking to show up and pay for the whole thing with a bank draft/cash, so no financing. Based on that, should I expect them to bend hard on the price? Not sure how these things work. Any tips for haggling would be great...

Dealers actually prefer financing to cash, so haggling with cash is a zero sum game. They don't give a shit as long as it gets financed and would prefer you financed ti through them so they get a cut.

If you LOVE the Kia Soul, then get it. Illogical passion is at the heart of what makes a car great. Kias are pretty reliable and well made.

I would still tell you to get a Mazda 3, but you seem intent.

DasRaven

Whoompthereitis said:

help me out here guys...

1. Absolute Yay! If you like the Soul styling, it is a great vehicle and I have friends who own them happily. Reliability should be excellent as they are essentially last-gen Elantra parts in a new shell.

2. Tons. Even more if you're paying that day in cash. Remember you can always walk and their used cars LOSE value every day they sit on the lot. Go to edmunds of kbb and find out the avg used sale price for the vehicle you want (with the same features & condition) and talk them down to within 5% of that. Better still find another similar Soul at another dealer and make them fight for your sale. The term "buying today" means a lot to a dealer.

OuterWorldVoice said:
If you LOVE the Kia Soul, then get it. Illogical passion is at the heart of what makes a car great.

That's the thing...I'm not a car guy, so I should follow what appeals to me. And this car speaks to me.

Thanks for the great advice guys. I'm gonna go and hit up the dealership after work and haggle for that Kia. I'll let y'all know.

Any more haggling tips are welcome. You guys are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom