• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlphaSnake said:
The hell? How are you comparing a rig to a car? That simply makes no sense.

And while we're on the subject, quite honestly Ferrari has gone to the shitter in my book. The 458 is a technical marvel, super fast, super slick, super precise, but (much like the GTR) super boring.

Don't even get me started on the sacrilegious atrocity that is the Ferrari FF.

Btw, don't mistake me as being some sort of manual transmission elitist. My 350Z was a 5-speed auto, which I enjoyed because the rest of the car allowed me to have my fun. My 370Z on the other hand I enjoy even more because it's a 6-speed manual that improves on virtually every facet of the original car, without taking away any of the fun.

Likewise, last year I drove a 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, and even though it too was an automatic, it was still an absolutely enthralling ride, nearly perfect in every way, even if it isn't the fastest car for its price tag.
I love how people who will most likely never buy a Ferrari get all indignant about what ferrari should and shouldn't be doing with their cars. People who actually buy ferraris overwhelmingly like the F1 style paddle shifters and high tech interiors, so they're here to stay.

BoobPhysics101 said:
How is the gas mileage on those? I know it's horrible on the G35 and the 350z but I wonder if Nissan made efficiency improvements. Also, are you going to track the car? I think the 370z would be ridiculously fun on the track because you can probably just throw it into turns and it'll stay pretty planted.
I'm getting killed at the gas tank right now..

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
akachan ningen said:
I love how people who will most likely never buy a Ferrari get all indignant about what ferrari should and shouldn't be doing with their cars. People who actually buy ferraris overwhelmingly like the F1 style paddle shifters and high tech interiors, so they're here to stay.

I don't mind the interiors...it's just that it wouldn't hurt Ferrari to still offer an MT.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AlphaSnake said:
I don't mind the interiors...it's just that it wouldn't hurt Ferrari to still offer an MT.

But it would hurt the car's performance so that some clown* could feel more manly.

I mean that in a genial, jocular fashion.

AlphaSnake

OuterWorldVoice said:
But it would hurt the car's performance so that some clown* could feel more manly.

I mean that in a genial, jocular fashion.

If it's optional, it wouldn't hurt anything. It's simply that: an option.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
MWS Natural said:
I'm getting killed at the gas tank right now..
Same here :( What's your usual mpg? I get about 20-21 with a fair mix of city/highway driving. I don't drive it very hard, though. I'm sure that would go down to 16-17 if I did. On long trips I can get 24-25.

AlphaSnake said:

These days all their cars designed around their newer DCT transmissions. It wouldn't be as easy as just bolting in an MT. But hey, if a new Ferrari owner was enthusiastic enough about it, maybe he could get a custom one fabricated for his car.

Same here :( What's your usual mpg? I get about 20-21 with a fair mix of city/highway driving. I don't drive it very hard, though. I'm sure that would go down to 16-17 if I did. On long trips I can get 24-25.

But if you're driving a G, it means you're stacking that paper! So you can afford the gas prices. :p

XMonkey said:
About the same but I live 45 minutes from work so I have to fill up about 1 1/2 times a week at these prices:

W2ptOl.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AlphaSnake said:
If it's optional, it wouldn't hurt anything. It's simply that: an option.

They're a pretty small company. They're building their technology in that direction. If it was simple, I'd agree, but transmissions are a big part of the car's integrated design, and as I said, the overall performance. It would be super costly and from a pure performance standpoint, illogical to do it.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
MWS Natural said:
You pay over $100 in gas a week? lol What do you drive??

Sorry, I'm just a little bitter. Canada is the US' biggest supplier of oil and it just sucks paying $1.30 a liter. I drive a 2004 Honda Civic Coupe. It's not too bad on gas as I average 550km City/700km Highway but working a near minimum wage job makes it harder.

Liquidus said:
Sorry, I'm just a little bitter. Canada is the US' biggest supplier of oil and it just sucks paying $1.30 a liter. I drive a 2004 Honda Civic Coupe. It's not too bad on gas as I average 550km City/700km Highway but working a near minimum wage job makes it harder.
Damn that sucks. How much is it to fill up your tank and how long does it last you?

FStop7

Banned
My car gets 12.5 mpg on a good day, and that is mostly highway mileage.

I just close my eyes and go to my happy place when I go to the gas station, which is often.

AlphaSnake

I find myself less bothered with fuel prices now that I make considerably more. I just keep saying to myself 'eh, that extra $10-15 a week doesn't hurt me in the long run'. Plus I have a 4.2L V8 in my Audi, and a 3.7L V6 in the 370Z...so it's about $20-30 extra a week.

Enron

Banned
XMonkey said:

I seem to be getting around 15-18. But I'm driving it hard as shit. And with a lot of city driving.

akachan ningen said:
But if you're driving a G, it means you're stacking that paper! So you can afford the gas prices. :p

sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiittt. They aren't THAT expensive.

AlphaSnake said:
I find myself less bothered with fuel prices now that I make considerably more. I just keep saying to myself 'eh, that extra $10-15 a week doesn't hurt me in the long run'. Plus I have a 4.2L V8 in my Audi, and a 3.7L V6 in the 370Z...so it's about $20-30 extra a week.
Yeah once I get that next raise, which should be coming in the next couple of months, I'm sure I won't feel it as much.

Found one of the pics, can't seem to find the one that I had of the Ferrari and Audi A8 coupe.
vzrZdl.jpg

AlphaSnake

MWS Natural said:
Yeah once I get that next raise, which should be coming in the next couple of months, I'm sure I won't feel it as much.

Found one of the pics, can't seem to find the one that I had of the Ferrari and Audi A8.
vzrZdl.jpg

Awesome. My brother's still got his BMW M6 as his daily, and he loves it. I've driven it plenty and it is a fantastic and super quick grand tourer. He's recently bought something else much more expensive in addition - also with a V10 - but that's not a daily driver. :)

I may have mentioned it before, but I'll leave the guess work up to you folks. :p

Halvie

Banned
Went to dyno my car the other day, and took a couple pics of cars in the shop.

Guess these are the only 2 458 Challenge cars in the US...unless the dude was lying.

2elrpz4.jpg

BMW something or other

2eqc4so.jpg

Wall of cars they keep for people. Wish I would have taken pictures when Level 5's cars were there. Pretty much anything you could think of.

339ipl2.jpg

and any of you guys with a wrx or evo can go to hell. Sick of waiting for a GTX/EFR kit for my car.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
MWS Natural said:
About the same but I live 45 minutes from work so I have to fill up about 1 1/2 times a week at these prices:

W2ptOl.jpg
I just filled the tank of my wife's G35 @4.29 per gallon.

AlphaSnake

Only 2 in the US?

Uhhhhh....I've like 10 on the road already. Hell there's a bunch sitting at the two Ferrari dealerships right now...

Edit: Oh, nm. 458 Challenge.

Halvie

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Only 2 in the US?

Uhhhhh....I've like 10 on the road already. Hell there's a bunch sitting at the two Ferrari dealerships right now...

CHALLENGE CAR....not regular... hence no lugs on the wheels...

AlphaSnake

Made the edit! Beat ya to it! Hahaha.

But yeah, there's hardly a Challenge car in the US. That is true.

AlphaSnake said:
Awesome. My brother's still got his BMW M6 as his daily, and he loves it. I've driven it plenty and it is a fantastic and super quick grand tourer. He's recently bought something else much more expensive in addition - also with a V10 - but that's not a daily driver. :)

I may have mentioned it before, but I'll leave the guess work up to you folks. :p

Define "much more."

Anything with a V10 is guaranteed to be badass, but a Carrera GT would be simply unbelievable...

AlphaSnake

Spaceman Spiff said:
Define "much more."

Anything with a V10 is guaranteed to be badass, but a Carrera GT would be simply unbelievable...

Almost twice the cost of a BMW M6, which MSRP'd at $101K

AlphaSnake

Spaceman Spiff said:

Ding.

Fully loaded Audi R8 V10. Talk about a rocket. He's getting the Stasis stuff installed sometime soon - bumps it from 525HP to 580HP. Basically removes any limitation Audi put on the V10 as it comes originally on the Gallardo LP560, in addition to tuning it to improve overall performance.

Halvie

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Ding.

Fully loaded Audi R8 V10. Talk about a rocket. He's getting the Stasis stuff installed sometime soon - bumps it from 525HP to 580HP. Basically removes any limitation Audi put on the V10 as it comes originally on the Gallardo LP560, in addition to tuning it to improve overall performance.

See the TT kit APR is putting out for the r8? Probably going to cost millions though. Think the sc for the rs4 is like 18k. Would imagine this would be more.

2hpnmv6.jpg

AlphaSnake said:
Ding.

Awesome. That's a hell of a ride, no question about it. He's a lucky guy, your brother.

Even without mods, I'd prefer the Audi to the Lambo as it's just a bit more discrete and sits atop the lineup, as opposed to the Lambo being the junior model behind the V12 flagship. Does his R8 have the manual or R-tronic tranny? I'm surprised Audi hasn't put in a DCT like everyone else seems to be doing.

Chris R

PumpkinPie said:
I just ordered a new Fiesta...I was thinking of something more upmarket, like a MINI Cooper S but all of the car magazines in the UK are saying that the Fiesta is the best small car you can buy. I ordered the top of the range Titanium model with keyless entry, push button start and individual leather interior and it also comes with a Sony radio system, privacy glass, automatic folding mirrors, anti-glare rear-view mirror etc:

1b9b51ea.jpg

3605fe14.jpg

I know a lot of people on here have Ferraris and whatnot so this is probably nothing to you, but I'm happy and very excited. I picked the Fiesta over more expensive cars because of some of the cool features it has, although the Fiesta itself is not exactly cheap at £15,000 ($24,000 in US Dollars).
You are going to love it. Trust me :)

Proud US Fiesta owner. I went with the SE Hatch, and while it isn't in the color I preferred, I'm still loving it. Can't wait for all the snow to melt away so I can really see what this car can do. Such a great first car, and built pretty solid from what I can tell so far having driven it for 2 months so far.

Halvie

Banned
rhfb said:
You are going to love it. Trust me :)

Proud US Fiesta owner. I went with the SE Hatch, and while it isn't in the color I preferred, I'm still loving it. Can't wait for all the snow to melt away so I can really see what this car can do. Such a great first car, and built pretty solid from what I can tell so far having driven it for 2 months so far.

New Fiestas are nice. Also am liking the new focus. Can't wait for the ST, but wonder how much it is going to cost.

Anyone see the sport Fiesta?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/23/2012-ford-fiesta-gets-sport-appearance-package-with-slight-perfo/

Chris R

I almost got a Focus because there was a pretty big discount on it when I was shopping around, but it was a bare bones model, no power anything, ect vs a fully loaded Fiesta. Payed a little more than I had originally wanted, but whatever, still a kick ass car, and now with gas prices at 3.999 the mpg is making it a worth purchase IMO.

AlphaSnake

Spaceman Spiff said:
Awesome. That's a hell of a ride, no question about it. He's a lucky guy, your brother.

Even without mods, I'd prefer the Audi to the Lambo as it's just a bit more discrete and sits atop the lineup, as opposed to the Lambo being the junior model behind the V12 flagship. Does his R8 have the manual or R-tronic tranny? I'm surprised Audi hasn't put in a DCT like everyone else seems to be doing.

The reason why there's no DCT was because VAG wanted to keep costs as low as possible and used an enhanced version of the E-Gear auto found in the Gallardo. That said, my brother's car is the R-Tronic, and I don't blame him. The gated shifter is an absolute pain in the ass to use, and requires way more precision than I care to have when shifting casually and smoothly.

I've actually had a chance to drive a V10 with a gated shifter (buddy's dad owns one...among many other cars) and I simply hated the shifter. Plus there's people on the forums who break theirs (note: shifting this car quick with an MT is an exercise in futility), and the replacement costs $2000. LAWLZ.

This may sound insane, but I actually prefer single-clutch automanuals over DCTs and the like. The SMGs, R-Tronics, et al. feel mechanical and a bit more connected - they actually feel like manual transmission vehicles. Every click rewards you with a sensational jolt (I love shift shock) as the car grabs the next cog, and you can feel and hear the gears change, just as you would in an MT. DCTs, while brilliant in execution, feel hollow and uninspired, there is simply no drama to them - the feeling is far too similar to that of a CVT transmission being manually "shifted".

I've driven a number of high-performance cars equipped with DCTs, from GTRs to M3s and while I appreciate what they add in terms of performance, I simply feel like they also take away a lot. Keep those few milliseconds and bring back the feeling of aggression, instead.

Pein

Banned
I wanna buy a sedan to compliment my G35 coupe, what do you guys think I should get? I'm looking at an 08 G sedan or an IS350. 335i is slick too.

DasRaven

Pein said:
I wanna buy a sedan to compliment my G35 coupe, what do you guys think I should get? I'm looking at an 08 G sedan or an IS350. 335i is slick too.

What do you want out of it(performance, mileage, "fun", toys)?
Sedans, especially, sport sedans run a huge gamut.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AlphaSnake said:

Viper variant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom