• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamesfrom818 said:
Me too. I wonder if it would be cheaper to haggle or just use my Chrysler Affiliate discount.

I still prefer the look of the previous gen SRT8 Charger. I wish it had the new interior of the 2011 model.

doitlive said:
not making fun, I just didn't want to quote the whole thing.

One the great things about the GTR is that it doesn't scream attention whore like other supercars. It also has to be the fact that most GTR owners don't drive like douchebags.

The thing is the GT-R do get alot of attention...way more attention than when I had my NSX.

speaking of the NSX...I think its one of the most overrated cars ever..and don't get me wrong
It's was my dream car...but believe it or not, I enjoyed driving my old Integra type-R much more.

here's my first NSX, Higher mileage modded with NSX-R parts painted Championship White
13548CW.JPG

Here's my 2nd NSX, Super low mileage grand prix white(rare color) all stock and original except rims.
4804344508_7f73597122_z.jpg

ascii42

I like the new Charger. The new rear end is great, but the subtle curves of the belt line are reminiscent of the late model Buick LeSabre.
Not to say that's a bad thing, I've always liked the "coke bottle" curves.
2rw3h55.png

Buick-LeSabre-2.jpg

The NSX was my dream car....thats why I would forever love the NSX.

But the NSX is without flaw(all cars have its flaws)

Its very easy to drive and handles great, the openwide cockpit view is amazing and unmatched.
Look wise its a classic, no other car can look the same for 14 years and still look modern to this day.

The thing that it lacks is power, most modern sports car are faster. Honda really drop the ball by not making it more powerful as time pass. It might have been a automotive marvel when it was release but its rivals continue to progress in performance and technology, while it was basically the same car for 14 years.
Also, it need suspension mode to make it more fun to drive. But the biggest downside is how NSX owner(not all though) think its the greatest car ever and look down on other cars made which make them kinda douches....so many over hyping.

ascii42

BloodySinner said:
No. The old school Charger and Challenger were both two door vehicles. Dodge didn't have any issues back then.
Back then they weren't the same car underneath. The old Charger was a good foot longer than the Challenger and rode on a completely different platform.

So I was checking out the Chrysler 200 on their website...

screenshot20110209at100.png

...and my first thought:

Chrysler should bring back the hood ornament. Could be dope if they pulled out one of their classic ornaments

chrysler3449hoodornamen.jpg

chrysler4957hoodornamen.jpg

or designed a new one. sweet hood ornaments bring much swag. I'd love to see a renaissance in that area.

ascii42

BloodySinner said:
Just like today.
Um, what are you talking about?
The Challenger and Charger of today both ride on the Chrysler LX platform, which they also share with the 300 and used to share with the Magnum. The Charger has an overall length of 200.1 inches. The Challenger has an overall length of 197.7 inches. They share engines, and the same automatic transmission is used in both as well. The Challenger of course also offers a manual though.

AcridMeat

Banned
shinshoryuken said:
The NSX was my dream car....thats why I would forever love the NSX.

But the NSX is without flaw(all cars have its flaws)

Its very easy to drive and handles great, the openwide cockpit view is amazing and unmatched.
Look wise its a classic, no other car can look the same for 14 years and still look modern to this day.

The thing that it lacks is power, most modern sports car are faster. Honda really drop the ball by not making it more powerful as time pass. It might have been a automotive marvel when it was release but its rivals continue to progress in performance and technology, while it was basically the same car for 14 years.
Also, it need suspension mode to make it more fun to drive. But the biggest downside is how NSX owner(not all though) think its the greatest car ever and look down on other cars made which make them kinda douches....so many over hyping.

Ah gotcha, I thought maybe it was something mechanical that made it a pain in the ass. There are a few around here, I still get a hard on when I see them. :)

edit: @Dreams-Visions I agree, if it had a similar ornament to the early 40s that would look fantastic.

Unrelated and maybe a bit of a tangent but I really feel there needs to be a system put in place to force people to use their signals. Throwing around something like $1 fine for each infraction that's somehow monitored in the car. But maybe have it linked to a sensor for what time of day it is, i.e. traffic level on whatever road you're driving on.

It's mostly because I've gotten a lot more experience with highway traffic on my commute, but people diving in lanes without a signal does me in something bad. I hope this doesn't derail the thread.

Smokey

AlphaSnake said:
...yet still has the same horrific interior.

Seriously, the Camaro's interior has become a joke in almost every review these days. It really is THAT bad in person.

yep.

it's a shame. i really like the exterior, but I CANNOT get over the interior no matter how hard I try.

Ive been wondering about this lately...does everyone name their cars? One of my friends said he didnt. Maybe we should have another thread about it.

golem

shinshoryuken said:
Its really dayam fast...and the 2012 will be even faster...

It doesn't feel like a you'r driving a videogame or does it drive itself....so don't believe the hate.

I had an NSX and the GT-R is league above it.
Do you know when the 2012s are supposed to arrive? Thinking about getting one.

ascii42

Jamesfrom818 said:
Ive been wondering about this lately...does everyone name their cars? One of my friends said he didnt. Maybe we should have another thread about it.
I've known people who have named their cars. I usually don't. I've generally referred to mine by the make, preceded by the word "The", as in "The Olds", "The Caddy", "The Geo". When I drove a Volvo 960 station wagon, I just called it "The Wagon." Now I have, "The Malibu."
I guess The Olds has a nickname. My dad took it to a guy to get the fender extensions fixed. When he picked it up, the guy asked, "You here to pick up the Queen Mary?"
If I ever get a large black Cadillac, I'm calling it The Boss.

For those of you that don't know what fender extensions are, here's a pic. Those things are usually either rubber or plastic, and break easily. And yes, that car is the Queen Mary.
zlofgh.jpg

123rl

There's been a lot of talk about the Fiat 500 on here in the last few months so I thought I'd chip in. I bought a 2010 model about two weeks ago (I'm in the UK) so I've learnt a lot about in that time. It's a 1.2l Pop in Bossa Nove White with red interior and a Chrome upgrade. It's this:

5211018743_aafef296e3_z.jpg

5211618426_17b95a4570.jpg

The Chrome Pack is the small chrome bar at the front and back of the car:

images

Let's leave it short and sweet but I love it! It's really fun to drive, gets at least 55mpg on my journey to work, really fun to drive, looks great in the flesh, and...it's fun! If anyone was thinking about one, book a test drive ASAP because there is no better choice in this field at this price. I considered a Fiesta, Golf, Astra, and a dozen others but nothing matched the Fiat 500 for sheer fun or practicality

Pterion

Dreams-Visions said:
01cclass30.jpg

I'm thinking about cancelling my S5 order for this one. As soon as the details for this car come out in the next few weeks, I'll have a decision to make. it looks FUCKING SICK.
Go for the merc, baby.

123rl said:
There's been a lot of talk about the Fiat 500 on here in the last few months so I thought I'd chip in. I bought a 2010 model about two weeks ago (I'm in the UK) so I've learnt a lot about in that time. It's a 1.2l Pop in Bossa Nove White with red interior and a Chrome upgrade. It's this:

5211018743_aafef296e3_z.jpg

5211618426_17b95a4570.jpg

The Chrome Pack is the small chrome bar at the front and back of the car:

images

Let's leave it short and sweet but I love it! It's really fun to drive, gets at least 55mpg on my journey to work, really fun to drive, looks great in the flesh, and...it's fun! If anyone was thinking about one, book a test drive ASAP because there is no better choice in this field at this price. I considered a Fiesta, Golf, Astra, and a dozen others but nothing matched the Fiat 500 for sheer fun or practicality

Lovely, I really like the new TwinAir version, they say it sounds like a motorbike.

123rl

The Twinair version is very cool. It's also so efficient that it is exempt from Road Tax in the UK. Mine is in the next bracket and only costs £30 a year to tax. By comparison my old Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 cost £140 a year!

123rl

There's something special about driving one. It's so light and responsive yet even the 1.2 version has a decent amount of power for city driving. Outside the city it's slow to accelerate but easily and comfortably drives at 60-85mph

Have you seen some of the special models? There's a Matte Black that is especially cool

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
123rl said:
There's something special about driving one. It's so light and responsive yet even the 1.2 version has a decent amount of power for city driving. Outside the city it's slow to accelerate but easily and comfortably drives at 60-85mph

Have you seen some of the special models? There's a Matte Black that is especially cool
The US version is going to have a MultiAir four making about 100 HP. The matte black one looks cool, but I like Rosso Brilliante the best.

So, I love the 458 Italia, but I always have problem with it's headlights. It's just too much for me. Maybe because I'm an old man now, maybe it's because I'm a bad person. Whatever it is, I HATE it. So I doodled over it. Thoughts?

458b.jpg

twinturbo2 said:
Anybody see the new Lamborghini?

The Aventador? I wish they'd have been more adventurous (hard to believe I'm saying that about a new Lambo) with the styling. The proportions are equal parts Murcielago and Gallardo, and the details are pure Reventon, cars we've seen for years now. They definitely played it too safe, imo.

Shogmaster said:
So, I love the 458 Italia, but I always have problem with it's headlights. It's just too much for me. Maybe because I'm an old man now, maybe it's because I'm a bad person. Whatever it is, I HATE it. So I doodled over it. Thoughts?

I prefer your version of the 458's face to that of the actual car. I never cared for the lights either and think the 430's would have worked better. I like what you did with the intake vents in the hood as well; the ones on the actual car look like some really fucked up panel gaps.

I agree about Aventador. I get the same feeling about as I did about Diablo. Over-cooked and not different enough. In fact, I think Diablo was a better design overall than the Aventador. Aventador is a messy blend of Mercielago, Gallardo, Reventon, and that last showcar abomination that I tried hard to forget.

And yeah, I think the 458's headlights are TOO bold for my old eyes. Maybe in 20 years they will be looked upon as bold forward looking design, but I personally think it won't age well. And 100% agreed about that intake comment on the 458, SM Spiff.

Hey, I'm needing a car and I have $3000. Any advice on a car I should get that has good gas mileage and is cheap on the insurance? Thanks in advance GAF!

KevinD1990

Neo Member
Currently drive a mkV GTI, but looking to upgrade.

Looking at the

JdhXA.jpg

and

hUCI7.jpg

I want a reliable car with AWD for under 40k

Any other suggestions?

ascii42

foodtaster said:
Hey, I'm needing a car and I have $3000. Any advice on a car I should get that has good gas mileage and is cheap on the insurance? Thanks in advance GAF!
Honda Civic is a good choice. I'm not sure how old you'd have to get to find one for $3000. They tend to hold their value.
You might want to also look at the Chevy Prizm, it's really a rebadged Toyota Corolla, but can generally be found for cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom