• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been lovin' my 95 2 door Tracker that I picked up in November.

Only issue is that it's so hard to prevent the windows from fogging up. I live in Vancouver, so it's often cool and rainy. It seems I can never get the perfect balance of heat or whatever- I'm always adjusting the temp, opening the windows etc...never can I get it perfect.

Eveything fogs up on the side and front windows....any ideas?

foodtaster said:
Hey, I'm needing a car and I have $3000. Any advice on a car I should get that has good gas mileage and is cheap on the insurance? Thanks in advance GAF!

4th gen (1995-1999) nissan maxima. Probably the best car you can buy in the that range.

Chris R

Anyone have some tips on Smartphone/GPS mounting locations when center dash just won't work? Here is what I'm working with http://i52.tinypic.com/2qx6bds.jpg

My phone is a Motorola Milestone (aka Droid) and I haven't purchased a mount yet. Just want to get something that doesn't obstruct my view while driving, but with the central dash area totally unavailable I'm not sure what to do :(

ascii42

foodtaster said:
Is the civic the only good car in that price range?
In case you missed my post last page, I suggested the Chevy Prizm, as it's basically a rebadged Corolla, but typically sells for much less. There are decent vehicles you could pick up, depending on what you are looking for. Compact, mid-size, hatch, wagon?

robox

ascii42 said:
foodtaster said:
Is the civic the only good car in that price range?
There are decent vehicles you could pick up, depending on what you are looking for. Compact, mid-size, hatch, wagon?

ya, need to narrow down the search range.
how big of a car do you need?
how old of a car will you tolerate?
do you care about sportiness? various options?
weather/climate considerations?

your best bet may be to scour the classifieds, find something that interests you, then research it.

i kinda like the mazda protege5, but i don't know if its within your budget by now.

r - b - x said:
ya, need to narrow down the search range.
how big of a car do you need?
how old of a car will you tolerate?
do you care about sportiness? various options?
weather/climate considerations?

your best bet may be to scour the classifieds, find something that interests you, then research it.

i kinda like the mazda protege5, but i don't know if its within your budget by now.
Preferably a small car, unless its big and still has good mpg (25+). I don't care how old the car is, as long as it will run for another 5 years with moderate maintenance. I'm in Texas so, anything goes. I don't really care about sportiness either.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
KevinD1990 said:
I want a reliable car with AWD for under 40k

Any other suggestions?

Mini Countryman. If you've ever driven a Mini, the idea of an AWD version should make you at least interested. And you can get it for $26k loaded to shit.

J8Kdh.jpg

Definitely my next car.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

reilo

It looks alien and sleek in a very awesome kind of way. It's like a mix between the Countach and the Gallardo.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
It looks alien and sleek in a very awesome kind of way. It's like a mix between the Countach and the Gallardo.

It's more like a mass-production version of the Reventon, really.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Was anybody at the Canadian international auto show these past couple of weeks?

If you were you might have seen me, I was there working the Pfaff booth.

Some pics of the booth and Pfaff modified/sponsored cars; (Sorry about the quality, I had better pics but I lost the SD card)

G9LLs.jpg

bMrZf.jpg

qn8KA.jpg

nxZmu.jpg

7FwMZ.jpg

Vvsrp.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
opticalmace said:
Link? More info?

Don't think I like that line of drool near the front but otherwise might look pretty cool.

2.0L Turbo.

Subaru version will be AWD (as revealed by see-through architectural model), unlike earlier rumors suggested it may be Subaru's first ever RWD car.

reilo

Looks like a mix between a 370z, Ford Falcon and Opel Ampera, plus with some other bullshit.

Do not want.

Also, what's with the "bling bling" LEDs on the front? Who are they trying to appeal with that monstrosity?

It still says "concept".
I wont be happy until they release how the production model will look.

The Supra is an overrated car. The ft-86 I may actually be able to afford and have a blast with it.

reilo

AcridMeat said:
Fuck Audi for making those shit LEDs popular. I only like them in recent Lambo taillights.
I thought Audi's use of them was pretty clean but then Mercedes added it as fog-lights... and then Toyota/Subaru took it to a whole new level. smh.

Alucrid

Banned
reilo said:
I thought Audi's use of them was pretty clean but then Mercedes added it as fog-lights... and then Toyota/Subaru took it to a whole new level. smh.

I can only stand them on the R8.

Guevara

OuterWorldVoice said:
Mini Countryman. If you've ever driven a Mini, the idea of an AWD version should make you at least interested. And you can get it for $26k loaded to shit.

J8Kdh.jpg

Definitely my next car.
This looks pretty cool actually.

Ovid

AlphaSnake said:
BAM! LEAKAGE!

Toyota-2521111516485971600x1060.jpg
eh...looks like a Lexus IS with 2-doors and exaggerated headlights.

I would've bought this 2-3 years ago. Looks to much like a boy racer.

I prefer sports/luxury now :)

BloodySinner said:
Toyota had a nice run. Wake me up when the next gen Supra hits.
Lol, I lost faith in Toyota after buying my Celica in '03. All show no go. Their cars are way to underpowered. The only exceptions are the V6 Camry and Avalon.

AlphaSnake said:
2.0L Turbo.

Subaru version will be AWD (as revealed by see-through architectural model), unlike earlier rumors suggested it may be Subaru's first ever RWD car.
So Toyota and Subaru are going to have the same car with different names? Kinda like the Mitsubishi 3000GT and the Dodge Stealth, right?

ascii42

tarius1210 said:
2012 FT-86 at the Geneva 2011 Auto Show
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/toyota-ft-86-ii-concept-geneva-2011/

I have to admit that it is a sexy looking car.

Anyone know what the price range is going to be on this automobile? I'm thinking $28,000 - $35,000.
Definitely not that expensive. Subaru has indicated a 2.0L naturally aspirated engine. If it the one in the Impreza, that gets around 150 hp. Even if Toyota uses a supercharged version, it probably would be 200 to 250 hp. Which, depending on the weight, would be plenty. But $28,000-$35,000 would put you into the range of the V8 Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger.

Ovid

ascii42 said:
Definitely not that expensive. Subaru has indicated a 2.0L naturally aspirated engine. If it the one in the Impreza, that gets around 150 hp. Even if Toyota uses a supercharged version, it probably would be 200 to 250 hp. Which, depending on the weight, would be plenty. But $28,000-$35,000 would put you into the range of the V8 Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger.
I guess that makes sense. The Scion tC has a 2 liter engine that puts out around 180 horses, correct?

kagete

Pein said:
Its official the Evolution is dead.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/02/report-mitsubishi-official-says-evo-franchise-is-dead

Fuck, I loved the evo. I was close to getting one too but insurance was insane on it. R.I.P my favorite car.

Mitsubishi is really going to die in the US at this rate... Too bad, their Outlander and Outlander Sport crossovers are pretty attractive and are starting to give them some sales growth. I have a soft spot for them, as our family has two '91 mitsubishis (a van and a pickup) that have never had problems aside from A/C compressors that needed to be replaced and are still running fine today. I've always loved the look of the Lancers the best compared to anything else in its class but looks aren't going to be enough in the very ConsumerReports-driven market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom