• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a slow car anyway, so what? If one is not familiar with manual, the AT in the FR-S is decent for what it is.

side note, had the dealer confirmation in the mail yesterday:
image.jpg

:)

I drive an Auto FR-S. Dud I am not sitting on the 405 in Los Angeles everyday of my life in a manual anything.

Love the car, coming up on one year this May 31st.

SpecX

Wife and I just ordered a 2014 Grand Cherokee. Suppose to be in by the end of March/Beginning of April. This will be the first vehicle we get that has all the options we want and this will be the way we buy cars going forward. I can't believe how easy and hassle free the process was.

N-Bomb

But it does have a sizable engagement slip point, so it makes it damn near impossible to stall. And it engages fairly close off the floor, making it operate more like an extra brake pedal (just lift your foot an inch or two, apply throttle), as opposed to a clutch that needs precision (see Evos, STis, Zs).

I'm not sure what you mean by precision - my STi's clutch (maybe I'm just used to it by now) seems to have at least as wide a slip range as my Celica did, although I've still managed to stall it (lightened flywheel's fault, I guess).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Am I crazy or what? I'm still pouring over all of the different potential cars to buy once I'm in Europe and, for some reason, amidst all of the German sedans, I'm still finding the Volvo S60 R-Design to look incredible. Is this really worth looking at? I'm really going to have to do some test driving but I just really love the look of this thing.

In the US, the S60 only seems to be available with an auto transmission but a 6-spd manual option is available in Europe. Also, Xenon lights are common in the Euro models but seemingly quite rare in the US so that's another bonus.

31l.png

http://www.autoscout24.fr/Details.aspx?id=226946460&cd=634945612070000000&asrc=fa|as

Viperbah

Remove the wheel/tire and submerge it into water and look for bubbles

Don't forget to check valve stem

that would work......but easier solution=get a spray bottle fill it with soap(liquid soap works best) and water. Spray Tire. Look for bubbles.

Anyone know how reliable Porsche's are in general?

General reliability? Very good. At the same time, general maintenance costs can be pretty high and some models in the past 15 years had serious issues with the drivetrain.

Swing by the rennlist forums and browse for a bit if you're really curious. There are lots of people there with cars well above 150k miles (and then there are some on their second engine at 50k miles).

Edit: It's important to note that they are absolutely not "just change the oil and tires" cars. People with high mileage cars tend to have an eye towards preventative maintenance and DIY repairs.

Archer

Am in Malibu this weekend for vacation. The rental car choice is a 328 'vert or a base '13 Cayenne.

It's 60 degrees and sunny there. Should we get the 'vert or go SUV?

Hey guys, just posting some pics of my recently purchased vehicle, since this seems like the place to do it. This is the first car I've ever purchased. Until now I've been driving my mum's "Holden" Vectra so I'm quite happy with the upgrade.

It's a 2005 Subaru Liberty (or Legacy as you non-aussies know it better) 2.0i with the 5 speed manual transmission and luxury trim. Not the exactly the quickest thing in the world (0-100kph, 11.x secs '-_-) but it is still a blast to toss around. Set me back AU$15k, which given it's only done 58 thousand kms is pretty good by Australian standards (though I probably could have haggled it lower).

Anyway here are the pics.

And since I'm posting about of my 15k Subi, I guess I should chime into the current debate and recommend that aktham should get a Subi too. :p

Welcome!

IMG_20121203_073418.jpg

matmanx1

Anyone know how reliable Porsche's are in general?

Porsche advertises that over 60% of their cars since the 1940's are still on the road today. I haven't verified it but that's pretty nuts if true.

I know my 2007 Boxster was built like a tank in terms of how well everything was screwed together and how solid it felt on the road. In general, if you take care of your Porsche it will take care of you.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Am I crazy or what? I'm still pouring over all of the different potential cars to buy once I'm in Europe and, for some reason, amidst all of the German sedans, I'm still finding the Volvo S60 R-Design to look incredible. Is this really worth looking at? I'm really going to have to do some test driving but I just really love the look of this thing.

In the US, the S60 only seems to be available with an auto transmission but a 6-spd manual option is available in Europe. Also, Xenon lights are common in the Euro models but seemingly quite rare in the US so that's another bonus.

31l.png

http://www.autoscout24.fr/Details.aspx?id=226946460&cd=634945612070000000&asrc=fa|as

Awesome car. I had one for a few days and reviewed it:

http://www.wotauto.com/2012/12/22/volvo-s60-r-design-review/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Back on the FR-S... I know it's a budget car, but good lord does everything in it feels cheap. Anyone else agree?

That said I'm still really enjoying my Fit Sport, although driving semi conservatively I'm getting 25MPG (Lot of city driving, I get 40+ on freeway). This tank I'm driving it Sport mode only.
Awesome car. I had one for a few days and reviewed it:

http://www.wotauto.com/2012/12/22/volvo-s60-r-design-review/
It pains me to see such few comments on that webpage. Content and layout are so nice. Get some promotion done!

Smixam

Neo Member

31l.png

Second this as being a great car. I've heard that the turbo 5 is actually the more reasonable engine, that the T6 doesn't really provide much more performance for the cost/efficiency hit...but I'd still have it. It was on my short list when I was shopping to replace my Saab 9-3 Viggen this past fall, but I wound up in a 2013 BMW 328 m-sport, mostly because I could get one with an M/T and a few sparse options for significantly less than the S60 R-design.

Shown here with snow tires/wheels:

8176192553_6a4c946870_z.jpg

dark10x

Second this as being a great car. I've heard that the turbo 5 is actually the more reasonable engine, that the T6 doesn't really provide much more performance for the cost/efficiency hit...but I'd still have it. It was on my short list when I was shopping to replace my Saab 9-3 Viggen this past fall, but I wound up in a 2013 BMW 328 m-sport, mostly because I could get one with an M/T and a few sparse options for significantly less than the S60 R-design.

Shown here with snow tires/wheels:

8176192553_6a4c946870_z.jpg
Yeah, the 3 is also on my list.

I noticed that the Volvo lacks a M/T option in the US, which is a shame, but it's definitely available in Europe.

Right now, I'm thinking about the S60-R, a new 3 series or the A5 Sportback (still love this). I've also thought about a new 5 series or A6 but I'd have to settle for a smaller engine to fit the budget and the extra size/weight might drag it down. Still, I might stick with a smaller engine simply due to super high fuel costs.

The S60 wasn't even on my radar until recently, but in person, it's a beautiful car and it actually drives very nicely. Also, as odd as it seems, I want to make sure I end up with a good stock sound system as my current car features an excellent audio system. The stock BMW and Audi systems are terrible and, at least in Europe, it's *EXTREMELY* difficult to find the premium audio systems in any of the cars.

I won't be in Europe for another 6 weeks but my wife is over there getting things sorted out until the end of Feb. Might have her jump on something soon...

This A6, while only a 2.0 TDI, has a very good price sticker, few miles, and lots of options.

http://www.autoscout24.fr/Details.aspx?id=215785717&cd=634745909590000000&asrc=st|fs

This 5 isn't a bad looking option either:

http://www.autoscout24.fr/Details.aspx?id=216812115&cd=634919599500000000&asrc=st

This A5 has ~30k miles on it but, man, I just love the interior:

http://www.autoscout24.fr/Details.aspx?id=225605298&cd=634916240100000000&asrc=st|fs

Those seats are fantastic.

Ashour

Hi guys. First time poster here.

So I'm looking for an SUV that is also luxurious and don't cost a lot. Currently I'm looking into the Lincoln MKX since it's not highly priced (the standard version) and they have a great deal on maintenance and parts.

I'm supposed to test drive it in the next few days. The only thing I wish the standard edition have is a parking cam.

So what do you guys think of this car?

560px-Lincoln_MKX_--_11-10-2011.jpg

TylerD

So I'm looking for an SUV that is also luxurious and don't cost a lot. Currently I'm looking into the Lincoln MKX since it's not highly priced (the standard version) and they have a great deal on maintenance and parts.

I'm supposed to test drive it in the next few days. The only thing I wish the standard edition have is a parking cam.

I hate doing this as a Lincoln supporter but what would the comparable Ford Edge do for you? You can likely get a loaded Edge that will be cheaper or not much more expensive than a base MKX.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I hate doing this as a Lincoln supporter but what would the comparable Ford Edge do for you? You can likely get a loaded Edge that will be cheaper or not much more expensive than a base MKX.
don't they have better glass and soundproofing materials? I genuinely don't know but that's a big deal for a luxury suv.

ascii42

The Cadillac SRX might be worth a look. I haven't driven or even sat in either, so I can't really say much in either direction.

Ashour

don't they have better glass and soundproofing materials? I genuinely don't know but that's a big deal for a luxury suv.

Yes. Plus all the materials inside the car is a lot better (leather, wood, etc...)

I have considered the Edge but the current price of the standard MKX is cheaper than the full options Edge for a limited time. The mkx has everything the full options Edge has except that it's FWD, no navigation, no sun roof and no rare view cameras. Plus everything else is of higher quality and it's freaking sexy as he'll :)

TylerD

Yes. Plus all the materials inside the car is a lot better (leather, wood, etc...)

I have considered the Edge but the current price of the standard MKX is cheaper than the full options Edge for a limited time. The mkx has everything the full options Edge has except that it's FWD, no navigation, no sun roof and no rare view cameras. Plus everything else is of higher quality and it's freaking sexy as he'll :)

It sounds like you really want the MKX so go for it! If you are getting a good deal on a gussied-up Edge then by all means attack it because I haven't really heard anything bad about the Edge so that should follow suit with the Lincoln.

I agree that it is one of the more handsome crossovers.

Ashour

The Cadillac SRX might be worth a look. I haven't driven or even sat in either, so I can't really say much in either direction.

Cadillac SRX is crazy sexy and has a much better interior plus it has Navigation and Rare view cams which the MKX doesn't.

It's more expensive though and one of my friends is having a lot of issues with it, mainly the fuel pump. I would take a risk on it if they still have the offer of open miles warranty for 4 years but that deal is over.

Currently our Lincoln dealer has 200,000 Km or 5 years warranty and 64,000 Km or 3 years free service including spare parts. I think that's a really good offer.

Another thing is the fact that the SRX will get a major face lift this year, while the MKX will mostly stay the same until 2016.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It sounds like you really want the MKX so go for it! If you are getting a good deal on a gussied-up Edge then by all means attack it because I haven't really heard anything bad about the Edge so that should follow suit with the Lincoln.

I agree that it is one of the more handsome crossovers.

I actually never checked it out until 2 weeks ago. I'm just summing up what I found about it.

The deal is quite good and it fits my need for a luxury SUV car. However, I don't know anyone in real life who owns one. So I thought I'll run it by you guys, see what you think about it and then make my decision :)

dark10x

I'm actually not at all a fan of the new Volvo headlights, I much prefer the boxier ones from the last generation. The new lights are much more feminine to me, which is odd because the Volvo symbol is pretty much the male gender symbol.
The old light fixtures didn't really jive with modern projector lenses, though. If they wanted modern headlights they had to make a change.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The old light fixtures didn't really jive with modern projector lenses, though. If they wanted modern headlights they had to make a change.

Plenty of ways to house modern projectors without making the headlight an oversized bulbous mess.

dark10x

Plenty of ways to house modern projectors without making the headlight an oversized bulbous mess.
Well, of course, but I actually think those look good. The first and only time I've liked the front end on a Volvo, to be honest. :\

AlphaSnake

Back on the FR-S... I know it's a budget car, but good lord does everything in it feels cheap. Anyone else agree?

It pains me to see such few comments on that webpage. Content and layout are so nice. Get some promotion done!

1) Yes, most of sensible folk do agree.

2) Hehe thanks, man. Right now this is a hobby for myself and even Reilo. We ultimately have extremely demanding full time jobs we can't pry ourselves away from. Rest assured though, our Facebook page is fairly full of followers. Facebook.com/WOTAuto

coldfoot

Banned
I was climbing a really steep snow covered hill today. The Mercedes in front of me could not make it and had to pull over. I had to stop at the beginning of the hill due to my fear of the Merc rolling back. After he pulled in front, I gunned it and smoothly made it up the hill. Acura SH-AWD is excellent.

MisterNoisy

I always hate it when the headlamp housings break the 'natural' lines of the car by bulging out awkwardly from the sheetmetal - Toyota is most guilty of this. That said, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I do like the current trend of headlight housings integrating more closely with (and creeping further up) the peak/sides of the front fender - generally, it makes the design 'flow' more and lends an impression of forward motion.

Of course, almost everyone fucks it up when it comes time to make the fender and hood meet the A-pillar, but oh well.

N-Bomb

I always hate it when the headlamp housings break the 'natural' lines of the car by bulging out awkwardly from the sheetmetal - Toyota is most guilty of this. That said, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I do like the current trend of headlight housings integrating more closely with (and creeping further up) the peak/sides of the front fender - generally, it makes the design 'flow' more and lends an impression of forward motion.

Of course, almost everyone fucks it up when it comes time to make the fender and hood meet the A-pillar, but oh well.

I'll always prefer pop-up headlights. They're just way too cool.

Stasis

I swear every single time I come check this thread someone is still talking/arguing about the FR-S and BRZ.

Are they making a more powerful version of it at some point?

N-Bomb

I swear every single time I come check this thread someone is still talking/arguing about the FR-S and BRZ.

Are they making a more powerful version of it at some point?

I don't see why not.

Perrin and AVO are already making kits.

The Perrin supercharger makes around +60hp with a meh tune, a tad more on the AVO. Both on pump gas, afaik.

AlphaSnake

He meant from the factory.

And the answer is yes. The STi version will be revealed this year with a turbocharged 295HP motor, the FA20-DIT, which is already being used in the Japanese Legacy.

So the engine is already mass produced. :)

TylerD

Time to find a place to recycle my old coolant and parts. I got a Peake Research code reader to clear the codes after my check engine light went away. It had thrown a code literally saying thermostat mechanical which is a bit different than the general obd2 code saying that coolant temp range outside of normal operation. Should make diagnosis of issues much easier.

SummitAve

Banned
Just picked up my first car the other day. A black '03 1.8T Jetta (53k Miles) with standard transmission. I really wanted a turbo diesel, but the same year with more miles was damn near double the price of the 1.8T. Apparently VW diesels are in hot demand right now.

I was a little concerned over the reliability of VWs, especially since this one was made in Mexico. My father is a mechanic though so I have all of his tools at my disposal and it should be fun learning and working on it with him. We already put a new timing belt and water pump in it...which was a bitch because of a single proprietary tool needed to stretch the new belt over the pulleys without throwing the timing off. Found that out the hard way after talking to some of the guys at the RUF shop down the street from me. Those guys know absolutely everything about VW and Audis and really helped me out. I didn't want to order the special VW tool, and they gave me some advice on a work around. It's kinda weird to say, but I really enjoyed the troubleshooting, and look forward to some things going wrong in the future...to some extent haha. I also picked up a reader for engine lights and stuff. Would definitely recommend buying one if you don't already. They're pretty fun to use when looking at all the data and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom