• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

Question, so some asshole decided to key my car. Does this look like it went down to the bare metal? Looks like the primer layer... Anyone have any easy tips to fix this? Cheers.

PS. this sucks.

i3r5kCYhwUEwl.JPG

Easy? No. But I'm sure it can be done. Got $$?

Speaking of which, here's a thing we have been working on. It's a Raptor, with some stuff to boost output to over 600 horses. And we tracked it last week. More details soon.

7RFjtqm.jpg

I'm not really a truck guy, but HOTT. All about stuff that can do things WELL.

I know a couple that have two Honda Fits.

*vomit*

Don't mind him, he just finally saw his car for the first time.

Sidebar: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/31/hagerty-predicts-this-years-future-classics/#continued

NO BENZES OR BIMMERS.

Need some buying opinions. We are looking at a 2006 mustang gt premium that has custom rims and has a cold air intake (and i assume a tune) with 67k miles for 15,900. We are also looking at newer, 2011 and 2012, mustang v6s. Most are low mileage in the 16-18k range. While the better mileage and newer year entice me to the v6, i know it cant produce that v8 sound and torque.

My wife and i are going after work tomorrow, and i am so excited.

V6 Mustang? No. 15,900 sounds too expensive for a 2006 with 67k though.

coldfoot

Banned
Speaking of which, here's a thing we have been working on. It's a Raptor, with some stuff to boost output to over 600 horses. And we tracked it last week. More details soon.

7RFjtqm.jpg

What truck, I only see a little one and a guy standing in the back, and some legs.

matmanx1

Need some buying opinions. We are looking at a 2006 mustang gt premium that has custom rims and has a cold air intake (and i assume a tune) with 67k miles for 15,900. We are also looking at newer, 2011 and 2012, mustang v6s. Most are low mileage in the 16-18k range. While the better mileage and newer year entice me to the v6, i know it cant produce that v8 sound and torque.

My wife and i are going after work tomorrow, and i am so excited.

Definitely get the GT. The new V6 is strong but it still won't make that delicious sound and I really couldn't imagine owning a Mustang without it. I've owned 2 in my life, both were V8's and both were great cars that I very much enjoyed so I say go for it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Tesla recently opened two Supercharger stations on the East Coast. Both are at rest/service areas on I-95, one's in Delaware and the other in Connecticut. They're just over 200 miles apart.

So as of now, if I had a 60kWh (with the Supercharger option) or 85kWh Model S (and a place to plug it in at the destination) I could drive to relatives in New Jersey or Massachusetts without worry. Very cool.

I also found out there's a Tesla service center less than two miles from my office.

So go Tesla! Let's get that drivetrain cheaper & get the 30K model out :)

Tesla recently opened two Supercharger stations on the East Coast. Both are at rest/service areas on I-95, one's in Delaware and the other in Connecticut. They're just over 200 miles apart.

So as of now, if I had a 60kWh (with the Supercharger option) or 85kWh Model S (and a place to plug it in at the destination) I could drive to relatives in New Jersey or Massachusetts without worry. Very cool.

I also found out there's a Tesla service center less than two miles from my office.

So go Tesla! Let's get that drivetrain cheaper & get the 30K model out :)

The future is here, and it's great to see an American company leading the charge. :)

Little off topic, I think soon I'll be contributing some to this thread. I'll be forced into buying a car soon. I was really hoping I could prolong this until I had a decent amount of paper, but life twists and turns. Anyway, is there any site that will allow me to estimate insurance rates without putting in my cell and address and waiting for someone to call me? I just want a decent estimate, because I want to know what my insurance rates would be before I choose what kind of car I get. Thank you in advance

Little off topic, I think soon I'll be contributing some to this thread. I'll be forced into buying a car soon. I was really hoping I could prolong this until I had a decent amount of paper, but life twists and turns. Anyway, is there any site that will allow me to estimate insurance rates without putting in my cell and address and waiting for someone to call me? I just want a decent estimate, because I want to know what my insurance rates would be before I choose what kind of car I get. Thank you in advance

Call an insurance company. Getting a quote for insurance is not really something you can just do online if you're not already a customer.

cbox

Where do you live? Here in Canada almost every insurance company bar the private guys have quote sites that don't require a call. Though a call will ensure you get a more accurate quote.

Touch up paint or nail polish. Use dish soap to remove the wax around the area, paint over the scratches, after it hardens very carefully wet sand the area with very fine grade sandpaper, you don't want to sand off the clear coat, then just re-wax the area 5 or 6 times.

Thanks man, I'm going to give this a shot. Going to the dealer after work to grab some touch up paint. Only thing is it's -13C here and I doubt the paint will stick, I hope I don't have to wait till spring...

Skunkers

He's looking at a 2006 GT or a 2011/20012 V6.

D'oh. Wasn't paying attention.

witness, I'd still go for the 2011+, if only for the vastly improved suspension, newer interior, and a minor delay in the drop of resale value. Plus the new V6's really don't want much for power compared to the old V8.

I guess it comes down to whether you enjoy spirited drives on curvy roads or not. If so, go for the newer V6, if all you care about is cruising and that V8 rumble, go for the older V8.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AMG makes such fantastic engines. That sound is intoxicating. It's a shame that I am not that big of a fan what the rest of Mercedes is doing.

FStop7

Banned

7RFjtqm.jpg

I just saw this Halo truck in Malibu this morning. Parked near Geoffrey's restaurant.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just saw this Halo truck in Malibu this morning. Parked near Geoffrey's restaurant.
yeah the shop is near LA. Thing has also been jacked up on new wheels and shocks. And it's paint not a wrap.

And the exhaust system has been radically overhauled. That thing sounds like the Bear Rapture.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ordered a GT 86 yesterday, delivery in the first half of May. Also ordered an Auris Haybrid as replacement for the company GTI.

Falch

Ordered a GT 86 yesterday, delivery in the first half of May. Also ordered an Auris Haybrid as replacement for the company GTI.

Congratz on the GT 86! What color? Manual I presume? Too bad it starts at 42k euro here. :/

My gf bought a Nissan Qashai last month. Not bad for what it is. Love the panorama roof in particular

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Congratz on the GT 86! What color? Manual I presume? Too bad it starts at 42k euro here. :/

My gf bought a Nissan Qashai last month. Not bad for what it is. Love the panorama roof in particular
Thanks! Rapid blue mica and of course MT :)
got a good price and a great finance plan on it because of the double dip.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Can anyone tell me what the point of the Mercedes CLA is? It's the same size as the C-Class, but uses the A-Class platform, correct?

At first I thought it was a direct competitor to the 1-Series, but it's the same size as the 3-series -- unless Wiki has that wrong.

ascii42

Can anyone tell me what the point of the Mercedes CLA is? It's the same size as the C-Class, but uses the A-Class platform, correct?

At first I thought it was a direct competitor to the 1-Series, but it's the same size as the 3-series -- unless Wiki has that wrong.

The point is to provide a cheaper entry point to Mercedes.

Front Wheel Drive.

Walk away.

It's $3-4k MSRP cheaper than the C-Class. Seems a bit overkill.

EWWW.

There's a reason it's starting under $30k.

The point is to provide a cheaper entry point to Mercedes.

I still see it as the A3/1-Series fighter. They should've just made a C200 if they wanted to make a cheaper entry. It's not like it would dilute the point of the 3-Series chasing C-Class anyway.

MB in general needs to either step their game up or start slashing their prices. The cost difference between a loaded S-Class and an A8 or 7-Series is pretty pathetic considering the offerings. Even the Panamera is cheaper by a fair margin, to say nothing of the non-German competitors.

TylerD

Did my first mechanical DIY job on my 330 over the weekend and feeling pretty damn proud of myself... Cooling system overhaul including (complete cooling system drain, replacing thermostat, water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, expansion tank and coolant temp sensor). My thermostat was throwing codes but hadn't been showing any physical signs of failure until last Thursday when my car would not blow hot air out of the vents or get up to normal operating temp. I got 2 more months out of it.

This was my first major project to complete on my own and probably draining the coolant from the block was the biggest bitch. It took crazy gloveless hand and body contortions and about 10 different combinations of ratchets and extensions until I finally found something that worked for me to break the damn bolt free. 2, 10 inch extensions combined with a swivel head and socket and there was so much play when it did break free I thought that my socket had just slipped off the bolt yet again. I am happy to say that despite the horror stories of being showered with coolant draining the block I was able to funnel most of it through a tube and into a big Sterilite container I borrowed from my sweaters for the weekend. Only down to my forearm is a pretty big win in my book.

A heat gun (my roommates') assisted greatly with stubborn plastic connectors and saved my ass with the radiator hoses and connections. I would have failed without it because they seemed like they were glued together. Another interesting method I got from a DIY online was removing the expansion tank by using a floor jack and a extension plus socket to pop it off. Pretty cool stuff.

Found that my idler and hydraulic tensioner pulleys were bad so I replaced those as well.

I also found an oil leak that has showed up in the past couple of weeks. Looks like it is the oil filter housing gasket so I am ordering a gasket and the crush washers to do that job in the next couple of weeks.

Saving a ton of money DIYing is so freaking satisfying. My total cost including shipping for a new cooling system minus radiator and the pulleys was 430. :D With those spent pulleys out of the engine bay she sounds better too.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My brother's M6 finally arrived in the US. He picked it up first in Germany, drove it around there, and then BMW ported it on a ship headed to the US. Three months later, he picked up his new M6 last week.

Absolutely sensational car. So happy BMW did not use electric steering on the M5 or M6. I need more driving time in it, but damn I loved it.

N-Bomb

My brother's M6 finally arrived in the US. He picked it up first in Germany, drove it around there, and then BMW ported it on a ship headed to the US. Three months later, he picked up his new M6 last week.

Absolutely sensational car. So happy BMW did not use electric steering on the M5 or M6. I need more driving time in it, but damn I loved it.

Electric controls are the satan.

Driving home from class about an hour ago.

See an SUV of some sort. Texas license plate (in Missouri). Ok, not that unusual. Three giant stickers with the Texan flag that just say "SECEDE!"

Look a bit farther up. It's an Isuzu Axiom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom