• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

Want a BMW? Try this one:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=450206167

1991_BMW_E30_M3_Track_Car_Red_Bull_For_Sale_resize.jpg

GuessWho

So I finally got around to test driving a scion fr-s. Holy smokes what a great car! Of note, it was the automatic version and to be honest, it was fantastic. They weren't bsing when stating that it's not like a regular automatic. The shifts are fast and precise. Anyways I think I've found my next car.
Toughest decision is going to be choosing a color. Ultramarine blue or Asphalt. Tough choice! What color did you guys chose?

So I finally got around to test driving a scion fr-s. Holy smokes what a great car! Of note, it was the automatic version and to be honest, it was fantastic. They weren't bsing when stating that it's not like a regular automatic. The shifts are fast and precise. Anyways I think I've found my next car.
Toughest decision is going to be choosing a color. Ultramarine blue or Asphalt. Tough choice! What color did you guys chose?

Please don't buy an automatic.

J-Rzez

Manual.

Skunkers

A BRZ is probably gonna be my next car too. I'll only get one in manual, but the only one I could test drive was an auto. I'll second what he said, that's the quickest shifting flappy paddle slushbox I've ever driven. If they had only put the paddles on the steering column instead of the wheel (why do so many get this wrong) I would almost consider one. Almost.

Reven

Asphalt. It is such a gorgeous color in person. The only color I would chose over that is the WRB of the BRZ.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Automatic BRZ or FRS is garbage. It is noticeably slower than the stick.

it's a slow car anyway, so what? If one is not familiar with manual, the AT in the FR-S is decent for what it is.

side note, had the dealer confirmation in the mail yesterday:
image.jpg

:)

Automatics are for people with one leg.

I dont give a fuck if a computer can shift it faster than I can, there is no other greater feeling than a perfect downshift into a corner, and blasting out of it at 7k rpm.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

I dont give a fuck if a computer can shift it faster than I can, there is no other greater feeling than a perfect downshift into a corner, and blasting out of it at 7k rpm.

I'll remember to do that next time I hit a corner in my Jetta station wagon.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't get the automatic hate. The paddle shifter are much more responsive/quicker in automatic than manual.

I've driven good automatics. This car doesn't have one. My Jaguar has one. And my Audi has one. Both are ZF units that legitimately shift extremely fast, almost dual clutch fast. The FRS and BRZ on the other hand? My old 350Z's automatic shifted considerably faster.

Manufacturers are making manuals better and better to drive these days.

And you can only appreciate music on Vinyl! Tell 'em gramps!

Manuals are fun, sure, but I find paddles and manumatics just as fun, without the hassle in traffic.

One method of doing things doesn't apply to every situation, everyone, or every car.

May I also mention that your avatar is incredibly ironic considering that BMW would kill manuals in a heartbeat if it wasn't for American customers still wanting them?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/21/next-bmw-m5-to-drop-manual-transmission-option/ said:
Inside Line reports that the next M5, and the M6 for that matter, will not feature a manual transmission option. BMW M-brand Engineering chief Albert Biermann reportedly told IL that manual-equipped M5 models are topping out at 15 percent of total sales, making the MT a money-loser for the brand. Biermann claims that the volume of manual transmission buyers makes it all but impossible to make another three-pedal M5, adding "nobody wants it in Europe or anywhere else, so this will be the last time we do it."

bcl0328

My brother's M6 finally arrived in the US. He picked it up first in Germany, drove it around there, and then BMW ported it on a ship headed to the US. Three months later, he picked up his new M6 last week.

Absolutely sensational car. So happy BMW did not use electric steering on the M5 or M6. I need more driving time in it, but damn I loved it.

why does it take 3 months to get here? i wanted to try the ED for my next BMW.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Electric controls are the satan.
That's my biggest fear about new Infiniti Q. I know they'll have a second motor to provide feedback to the wheel, but still, I don't know. Has there been anyone yet that has done the electric steering right? People often say new Mazda 3 got it right, but I didn't have a chance to drive it.

And you can only appreciate music on Vinyl!

Tell 'em gramps!

Manuals are fun, sure, but I find paddles and manumatics just as fun, without the hassle in traffic.

One method of doing things doesn't apply to every situation, everyone, or every car.

I can drive manual but I went for automatic and I'm loving it every minute. I guess it all depends on whether you have family members who can drive stick or not.

AlphaSnake

why does it take 3 months to get here? i wanted to try the ED for my next BMW.

They have to fill the ship up with as many BMWs as possible to be delivered to the entire country, then of course there's the entire customs aspects of it all. The ship takes 2 weeks to cross the water, as well, I believe.

ascii42

I'm sure that's nice. My Olds can't take turns at more than 2 mph.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

you sound like a stereotypical BMW driver.

FStop7

Banned
Wow, so it is hardcore to trash a slush-box tranny while appreciating the aspect of a proper manual...apparently lots of automatic drivers in here.

No, it's that people who constantly beat their chests and blather at the mouth about how they are cooler because they have stick shifts sound like idiots.

Wow, so it is hardcore to trash a slush-box tranny while appreciating the aspect of a proper manual...apparently lots of automatic drivers in here.

I appreciate Mozart and Bach. Should I listen to them exclusively or is it permissible that I crank up that random Top 40 song once in a while? They both make me feel good in different settings and for different reasons.

Reilo is also correct though (below). I believe the ATS' automatic was also pretty awful.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
No, it's that people who constantly beat their chests and blather at the mouth about how they are cooler because they have stick shifts sound like idiots.

The discussion came about the FRS' slushbox, which has been universally panned. Don't lump everyone into the same category, like OnkelC did by saying YuriLowell sounds like a stereotypical BMW owner, when the facts state the exact opposite.

Or the fact that someone like Alpha even proclaimed that newer autos are fantastic, which they are. The FRS' isn't one of them.

ascii42

I've got nothing against manual transmissions. If any of the cars I've bought even offered a manual, I'd probably go for one. They are great in economy cars and performance cars (though in many cases modern automatics or dual clutch transmissions are better for that), but I haven't had an economy car in a long time. The last proper economy car I had was the Geo Metro convertible I drove for a little while in college. It had a 3 speed automatic. A manual would have improved that car tremendously.

I've also never had a car with any performance whatsoever, but eventually I will. If it's offered, I'll get the stickshift version. It just happens that I've favored land yachts (I know I'm weird among automotive enthusiasts).

The discussion came about the FRS' slushbox, which has been universally panned. Don't lump everyone into the same category, like OnkelC did by saying YuriLowell sounds like a stereotypical BMW owner, when the facts state the exact opposite.

Or the fact that someone like Alpha even proclaimed that newer autos are fantastic, which they are. The FRS' isn't one of them.

Yes, but he was responding to the overgeneralized statement: "Automatics are for people with one leg."

AlphaSnake

My last Z was an automatic.

My current Z is a stick.

My 335i Coupe was automatic.

My new Jag is an automatic.

Don't lump me in whatever you're talking about.

There's a huge difference between being an elitist, and being educated about a purchase. People who think their FRS has a good automatic simply don't know any better, that's the honest truth. A lowly Ford Focus has a dual clutch these days, which utterly shits on whatever auto shitbox AISIN unit Toyota offers.

AISIN automatic transmissions are absolute garbage.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The auto transmission in the FRS wouldn't happen to be the same one as in the first gen Mazda6, would it?

J-Rzez

The best and cheapest auto trans is found in an Evo X MR. Everything else is just a regular old dolled up automatic opposed to actually being a real performance trans. The auto in the 86s is nothing special. Its dressed up to feel quick but it really isn't well performing. They had to keep the costs down obviously and they put that auto in there to sell the car to window shoppers.

The last auto I owned was when I was 16. Manuals become second nature and you forget about them when daily driving. I can see having one in say NYC if that's the traffic you deal with all the time but that's about it.

You're not going to get the response and control, not to mention feel out of a cheaper auto like in the 86 as you would a manual or a proper high end auto DC gearbox.

AlphaSnake

Isn't an Evo X MR a dual clutch? Not exactly a typical automatic, in my book.

Still, the Ford Fiesta has a dual clutch too and is even cheaper. :p

Rad Agast

Please don't buy an automatic.

Automatic BRZ or FRS is garbage. It is noticeably slower than the stick.

If it's the DD and you're stuck in traffic for half the trip then an auto would be less of a headache. If you're planning on taking it to track days or tuning it up then a manual all the way. (that's my opinion)

it's a slow car anyway, so what? If one is not familiar with manual, the AT in the FR-S is decent for what it is.

side note, had the dealer confirmation in the mail yesterday:
image.jpg

:)

Grats. ;-)

That's my biggest fear about new Infiniti Q. I know they'll have a second motor to provide feedback to the wheel, but still, I don't know. Has there been anyone yet that has done the electric steering right? People often say new Mazda 3 got it right, but I didn't have a chance to drive it.

I've had a 2013 mazda 3 for 45 days. Steering is okay for what it is. (Nothing special). I like Mazdas. Have been driving one or another for over 10 years now. (Still need to try the sporty ones though, maybe the next miata when that's out).

The auto transmission in the FRS wouldn't happen to be the same one as in the first gen Mazda6, would it?

Not sure. I heard it's the same one used in the IS Lexus. The only Lexus I've tried were all 4xx series.

As for colour. I'm biased but I love the wrb <3

AlphaSnake

If it's the DD and you're stuck in traffic for half the trip then an auto would be less of a headache. If you're planning on taking it to track days or tuning it up then a manual all the way. (that's my opinion)

I drive a car that has an annoyingly springy and firm clutch that has absolutely no feedback on where it catches and has absolutely no room for error with its non-existent slip point. It's also purely muscle memory with this car. The complete opposite of the FRS, which is about as amateur as possible to drive in stick.

I also live in NYC. A permanent traffic jam shithole.

If it doesn't have a third pedal so I can heel-toe, its an automatic.

I commute 30 mins in stop go traffic with a manual and its not a big deal.

I hate the clutch in the FRS. You can't feel the engagement at all, it just feels like an on/off switch. Probably the biggest reason id never own one.

AlphaSnake

He's right. The clutch on the FR-S is feather soft and has no feeling to it.

But it does have a sizable engagement slip point, so it makes it damn near impossible to stall. And it engages fairly close off the floor, making it operate more like an extra brake pedal (just lift your foot an inch or two, apply throttle), as opposed to a clutch that needs precision (see Evos, STis, Zs).

Everything about the car is easy. That's point of it. It's to introduce a sporty car to a new generation of young drivers. It's very easy to shift. Very easy to drive. It's got a soft suspension. It's a stepping stone, basically. That's why a lot of us assholes don't enjoy the car, because (and this a pretty elitist way of putting it) we've graduated from that kind of learning experience.

Aguirre

No, but my 2011 Jetta (which I will have had for 2 years on Feb 11th) just crossed 70,000 miles this morning, and my 2007 GTI has just under 170,000 miles on the odometer.

What year is this car?

1995 4.2 turbo diesel landruiser 80

i have a hdj80 (my dad insists on a "safe" vehicle) which it too has just turned 500k, its a 97

He's right. The clutch on the FR-S is feather soft and has no feeling to it.

But it does have a sizable engagement slip point, so it makes it damn near impossible to stall. And it engages fairly close off the floor, making it operate more like an extra brake pedal (just lift your foot an inch or two, apply throttle), as opposed to a clutch that needs precision (see Evos, STis, Zs).

Everything about the car is easy. That's point of it. It's to introduce a sporty car to a new generation of young drivers. It's very easy to shift. Very easy to drive. It's got a soft suspension. It's a stepping stone, basically. That's why a lot of us assholes don't enjoy the car, because (and this a pretty elitist way of putting it) we've graduated from that kind of learning experience.

He is absolutely right. Everything on that car is super easy to operate.
I let my friend drive my evo9 after he had had it for a couple of months and told me the clutch, steering, and gearbox felt incredibly heavy.

I do think thats its too soft, and maybe a set of good quality coilovers would liven things up.

can anyone top this km? lol !! (not mine)

i3Bc97dwmn1KT.jpg

My old 89 325i had 340k miles on it before I sold it. So thats roughly. 547176.96 Miles.

Still ran strong on original engine and tranny.

Aguirre

He is absolutely right. Everything on that car is super easy to operate.
I let my friend drive my evo9 after he had had it for a couple of months and told me the clutch, steering, and gearbox felt incredibly heavy.

I do think thats its too soft, and maybe a set of good quality coilovers would liven things up.

My old 89 325i had 340k miles on it before I sold it. So thats roughly. 547176.96 Miles.

Still ran strong on original engine and tranny.

not bad for a bmw, having said that there is a lot of land cruisers that have broke 1 million km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom