• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoneM

New to this thread (found it while searching). Can anyone explain to me how a 2012 used car (dealer) can have 30k plus miles on it? It makes no damn sense to me.

SummitAve

Banned
New to this thread (found it while searching). Can anyone explain to me how a 2012 used car (dealer) can have 30k plus miles on it? It makes no damn sense to me.

Dealer cars are driven around by dealers? If the car wasn't selling, in high enough demand, or there was plenty of supply already, and a dealer particularly liked it some miles could be racked up. That's just my guess... 20k does sound like a lot though.

AntoneM

Dealer cars are driven around by dealers? If the car wasn't selling, in high enough demand, or there was plenty of supply already, and a dealer particularly liked it some miles could be racked up. That's just my guess... 20k does sound like a lot though.

Summit? from Minneapolis eh?

Anyway, that still seems crazy. I have averaged less than 10k a year on my car despite having done 2 round trips from Phoenix to Spokane.

SummitAve

Banned
Yup. I was drinking a Summit when I made my name haha

I hope you got some sort of deal because of the miles, but I figure it's usually a good sign if the dealer wants to drive it.

ascii42

A 2012 used car could be a year and a half old by now. Breaking 20k miles per year is easy if you've got a 30-ish mile commute to work every day.

My sister's 2007 Aveo has over 140,000 miles on it.

N-Bomb

Until you have to change one out. Or one decides to no longer pop up :/

cmt-medium.gif

That just means you change bulb and/or motor.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mazda CX-5, Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain, or Ford Escape.

I heard the Hyundai is decent too. I have a CX7 Grand Touring and it is a fantastic awd ride for less than 30k, but isn't hitting that gas mileage. But the 5 shares a lot of the excellent materials and interior.

coldfoot

Banned
Mazda CX-5, Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain, or Ford Escape.
The GM twins are wayyyy too heavy and underpowered with a 4 cylinder and will return much lower real world mileage, so only the CX-5 2.5 or the Escape would do in my book. I wouldn't trust Hyundai mpg claims.

N-Bomb

I heard the Hyundai is decent too. I have a CX7 Grand Touring and it is a fantastic awd ride for less than 30k, but isn't hitting that gas mileage. But the 5 shares a lot of the excellent materials and interior.

During the snow storm on friday, I actually had to help my cousin out of being stuck. His... Santa Fe or Tucson or wtf southern town his Hyundai is named after didn't come with AWD! What the hell is the point of these vehicles then? Smaller, less un-cool looking minivans?

Meanwhile, my little Subaru was putting X5s and other Sortof Utility Vehicles to shame on the bad roads.

If you live in an area that gets snow, don't be a moron - make sure your truck-like thing has more than 2WD and can actually deal with the weather when it happens.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm seriously considering getting a Nissan Leaf. Not having to worry about gas prices or maintenance is very appealing.

I just need to see the official range estimates for the 2013 MY Leaf first...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
During the snow storm on friday, I actually had to help my cousin out of being stuck. His... Santa Fe or Tucson or wtf southern town his Hyundai is named after didn't come with AWD! What the hell is the point of these vehicles then? Smaller, less un-cool looking minivans?

Meanwhile, my little Subaru was putting X5s and other Sortof Utility Vehicles to shame on the bad roads.

If you live in an area that gets snow, don't be a moron - make sure your truck-like thing has more than 2WD and can actually deal with the weather when it happens.

tall entry height is good for kids and groceries - but resale on 2wd versions of awd platforms tends to be significantly worse.

ascii42

I live in Georgia, so the concept of needing AWD is foreign to me, but I can't believe someone would get one without AWD where it does actually snow. Granted, they'd still at least be FWD.

What the hell is the point of these vehicles then? Smaller, less un-cool looking minivans?

Basically. yeah. They are just tall station wagons. Higher ride height is nice for those who like it.

Culex

Banned

Yea, my Saab has handled like a champ in the snow the past 2 days. AWD really helps out.

997s are pretty good.

996s are garbage, avoid.

Alot of Caymans are having the cylinder walls crack on them.

Air cooled Porsche are a whole different ballgame.

The 996 is a very reliable car and you can take care of the IMS issue with a retrofit for under a thousand bucks. I would stay away from the early 996 or 986 but otherwise they're good stuff.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
the domestics have awful marketing teams.

No kidding.

Audi is killing vampires.

Jaguar has 3 cars running wild on terrains chasing each other with snarling motor noises.

Chevy has a fucking robotic puppy dog!

Ford has a Ford female engineer talking about how she designed the Escape for dogs.

WHAT THE FUCK?

The Rear Main seals love to blow also.

I've seen that it's an issue that's more or less specific to certain engines, as if the tolerances were a little too loose for the seal. Some people will never have a problem with the RMS, ever, and others will replace them several times.

That said it's really not too hard to replace it and, unless it's really bad, not much of an issue to leak a bit of oil.

paskowitz

No kidding.

Audi is killing vampires.

Jaguar has 3 cars running wild on terrains chasing each other with snarling motor noises.

Chevy has a fucking robotic puppy dog!

Ford has a Ford female engineer talking about how she designed the Escape for dogs.

WHAT THE FUCK?

New age marketing!

ascii42

If you like shopping, buy a Spark.
If you like skateboarding your car, buy a Sonic.
If you are Frank Sinatra, buy an Impala.
If you are frequently chased by stealth fighters, buy a Corvette.
If you have a robot dog, buy a Volt.

Looks like they've got something for pretty much everyone.

Well, that was creepy...

Who the fuck wants a robotic dog?

Didn't Sony sell a couple hundred thousand of those AIBO thingies, somehow? Ask whoever the hell bought those.

MisterNoisy

Alternately, snow tires and/or not driving like an idiot (ideally both!). My brother just finished a fairly lengthy road trip through pretty awful snow/ice in his FWD Santa Fe (nice car BTW, even if it is a FWD wagon on stilts) and passed a number of AWD/4WD vehicles stranded on the side of the road or in various states of 'I fucked up' (usually in a ditch). Pickup drivers in particular really overestimate what 4WD/AWD can do in the snow when you're still on shitty all-season tires.

If you live in largely snow-free areas, AWD just makes the car cost more, get shittier mileage and have more things to fail.

One of my all time favorite ads.

Even after all these years, this one is still my favorite.

TCRS

Banned
I haven't found an english source yet but German newspapers are reporting that Audi has stopped developing new electrical cars. The new A2 has been cancelled. Official reason is that they want to concentrate on the bigger cars.

Not that surpirising. The technology is not mature enough for the scale that politicians want and the price that the customers want. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom