• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that really her video? The Jag segments are so out of place and tacky, I think. Also what is wrong with her face.

She's the official "face" of the car, or Jaguar. One of the two.

I'm sure she knows all about it. *eyeroll* I'd have much more respect for a campaign like that if they picked someone like Amy Macdonald, who actually cares about cars to some degree rather than the flavor of the month pop artist chick.

Was reading this thread last night... Quite funny. It's about a M6 owner beating a GTR then the flame war starts...

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802147

This is the shit that keeps me from buying a M3...I nearly lost it when there was a full on discussion about front license plate placement. It was like I was a part of some sort of M3 UN convention about the "rules" of proper placement.

Keeps reading...

every car can be in the 8s, just needs the right mods!

Nope, now I'm done...WTF?!

grendelrt

This is the shit that keeps me from buying a M3...I nearly lost it when there was a full on discussion about front license plate placement. It was like I was a part of some sort of M3 UN convention about the "rules" of proper placement.

Keeps reading...

So you let internet retards influence your decision to buy a car?

N-Bomb

I'd like to see that matchup re-done, except on gravel. See who wins then.

Here's some more paint ideas for you guys to mock:

ztojhvh.jpg

rddWVXo.jpg

aPu2r3A.jpg

Not coloured in, but I think I'd have to do white wheels if the first 2.

Acid08

Banned
I really like that second paint job.

I'm hoping to do something similar with my 92 Si when I can afford it. Fresh red paint with some white wheels.

I got into an accident yesterday and most likely totaled our '05 Camry LE. I'm probably going to get $4- 5000 for it from GEICO.

I'm not really into cars and have had little reason to look into current prices, so I guess I'm looking for some selection and some financial advice.

What do you think would be the best course of action to stretch my dollar? Buy used, I'm guessing...

Which models should I look into? Safety is a big concern.

grendelrt

Nope, I just don't like the huge circle of car elitist that comes with it. After spending some time on the forums and during local car events, I'll pass on one for now...

Every car has elitist, hell the honda fanboys back in the day were the absolute worst. Sorry I just find it funny you let internet forums influence your decision on buying a 60k+ car.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
That interior is pretty damn nice. But the styling is too pedestrian for my taste; I definitely think I'd lean toward a Charger RT in that segment, instead.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Every car has elitist, hell the honda fanboys back in the day were the absolute worst. Sorry I just find it funny you let internet forums influence your decision on buying a 60k+ car.
we aren't elitist - it's simply that the vtec power plant is the most potent engine in motoring history.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Lol man, the civic si era was horrible, every person that owned that car thought they could kill a lambo, even the ones with just an intake and exhaust.
I have never been beaten off the line in my stock Fit, riding on 13 inch steel rims and unless there is a huge quantum leap in engine technology, I doubt I ever will. When the vtec kicks in, you can feel reality distort around you.

I got into an accident yesterday and most likely totaled our '05 Camry LE. I'm probably going to get $4- 5000 for it from GEICO.

I'm not really into cars and have had little reason to look into current prices, so I guess I'm looking for some selection and some financial advice.

What do you think would be the best course of action to stretch my dollar? Buy used, I'm guessing...

Which models should I look into? Safety is a big concern.

I assume you want to replace it with another family friendly sedan?

Is your budget $5000 then, or more?

You could always look for another Camary, or an Altima. Also look at a first gen Ford Fusion.

N-Bomb

I have never been beaten off the line in my stock Fit, riding on 13 inch steel rims and unless there is a huge quantum leap in engine technology, I doubt I ever will. When the vtec kicks in, you can feel reality distort around you.

The car doesn't move forward, it moves the Earth backwards beneath it.

grendelrt

I heard the meteor that hit yesterday was actually a Fit on 12inch wheels, the lightened weight allowed it to leave orbit and re enter. Owners are now banned from using them.

Stasis

Yeah I just can't find anything to like about the BRZ/FR-S yet. Sorry fanboys. I imagine it's fun to drive.

Also, why is like every single Acura currently produced just so awfully ugly?

I really don't know what I wanna get this Summer. Moving from a MKV GTI. $35k-ish range is what I'd like to stay in. I'm a huge fan of the 370Z, but I'm getting to a point where practicality may be a concern... starting a family soon. My gf's buying a CX-5 so we're good but I'm not sure if I wanna go sports coupe, or just straight to something roomy and convenient. I REALLY like the new Grand Cherokee, but I'm not sure I want an SUV. Damn this is gonna be a tough choice in a few months!

I think I've been bitten by the BRZ/FRS bug. I had the chance to drive my friends car and I was rather interesting experience. I was not that excited by the interior at all, the faux carbon made it look really bad.

I loved how it had a real low center of gravity feel (Nice and pinned to the ground). The Car isn't fast by any stretch, but every time you get on the gas, the 50/50 weight distribution and RWD really makes you feel it.

I can't wait till it spring comes around and I can try it out on the track. He's got a few goodies waiting to be put on for the summer.

There's more to it then just people on the net. I've also dealt with the local BMW guys. Their meets were not fun at all. It was pretty much the same terrible discussions that I've read online. If the community is going to be that ridiculous, it makes it hard to want to be a part of it...

I'd much rather be a part of another community of car enthusiast...

So if you find it funny, then that's cool with me...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'd like to see that matchup re-done, except on gravel. See who wins then.

Here's some more paint ideas for you guys to mock:

Not coloured in, but I think I'd have to do white wheels if the first 2.

Auditions for Furious 6 are over, bro.

And Capcom won't be making another Auto Modellista game for you to land the cover of.

HIYO

Paint it Satin White with a black accent or two.

Archer

And Capcom won't be making another Auto Modellista game for you to land the cover of.

HIYO

speaking of, Jason Statham will be in FF6 as the antagonist. should be good.

amrihua

Not a fan of how it looks but I'm sure it will be a blast to drive and that interior is gorgeous.

Interior looks pretty good. The luxury version (Calais) would make a nice Buick Roadmaster here in the US.

2013-holden-commodore-calais-v_100418808_l.jpg

2013-holden-commodore-calais-v_100418788_l.jpg

That would confuse everything because in China you can get the Buick Park Avenue which is the Holden Caprice, this is smaller than the Caprice and the Roadmaster was larger than the Park Avenue.

I assume you want to replace it with another family friendly sedan?

Is your budget $5000 then, or more?

You could always look for another Camary, or an Altima. Also look at a first gen Ford Fusion.
I haven't really decided on a budget yet. I'm thinking if I get something with really good mpg I'm willing to go up to $15,000 or so. Is it a good idea to look at used Priuses? I don't really know what the different generations are.

I haven't really decided on a budget yet. I'm thinking if I get something with really good mpg I'm willing to go up to $15,000 or so. Is it a good idea to look at used Priuses? I don't really know what the different generations are.

1st Gen is 1997-2003
2nd Gen is 2003-2009
3rd Gen is 2009-Present

If you wanted the 3rd Gen, you could still scrape away with getting a 3rd gen for about $15,000 The batteries have 8 year warranties IIRC.

There are Fusion and Camry hybrids as well though.

matmanx1

Yeah I just can't find anything to like about the BRZ/FR-S yet. Sorry fanboys. I imagine it's fun to drive.

I really don't know what I wanna get this Summer. Moving from a MKV GTI. $35k-ish range is what I'd like to stay in. I'm a huge fan of the 370Z, but I'm getting to a point where practicality may be a concern... starting a family soon. My gf's buying a CX-5 so we're good but I'm not sure if I wanna go sports coupe, or just straight to something roomy and convenient. I REALLY like the new Grand Cherokee, but I'm not sure I want an SUV. Damn this is gonna be a tough choice in a few months!

If you like the 370 but want something more practical then definitely try out a G37 sedan. Same engine and transmission but alot more practicality and a nicer interior as well. And while you are at it check out the 3 series BMW and the Lexus IS just to make sure you get a good comparison. I have a feeling you will really like the G37 though.

minx

It's like you took my thoughts right out if my brain. Except I'm 6'6" and wouldn't fit in a 370. Looking to buy this year in that same budget. Not sure if I want to go sporty or get the 2014 Grand Cherokee. Love almost everything about it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
1st Gen is 1997-2003
2nd Gen is 2003-2009
3rd Gen is 2009-Present

If you wanted the 3rd Gen, you could still scrape away with getting a 3rd gen for about $15,000 The batteries have 8 year warranties IIRC.

There are Fusion and Camry hybrids as well though.

My friend bought a brand new 2012 Prius last July for like $3-4k cheaper than what the used 3rd gens were going for. Some of the 2nd gen ones were as expensive as his new 3rd gen. Stupid.

My friend bought a brand new 2012 Prius last July for like $3-4k cheaper than what the used 3rd gens were going for. Some of the 2nd gen ones were as expensive as his new 3rd gen. Stupid.

Yeah, they're like Civics in that their drivers think they own pure gold.

There's about 250~ listings for <=$15,000 3rd Gens on Cargurus right now, Nationwide. So they're out there, but it'll take a bit of looking. Some of them have a pretty decent lack of mileage on them.

Culex

Banned
Has anyone done a Civic Si vs. BRZ / GT86 comparison?

I'm curious how they stand up against each other on pure performance and handling.

N-Bomb

HIYO

I've considered a white. White gets dirty really quick though, and there's plenty of white ones already.

But hey, putting decals/designs on cars was cool from the 50s to the 70s, why is it uncool now?

ascii42

That would confuse everything because in China you can get the Buick Park Avenue which is the Holden Caprice, this is smaller than the Caprice and the Roadmaster was larger than the Park Avenue.
True. If they brought it over as a Buick, it should be the LWB version

Stasis

It's like you took my thoughts right out if my brain. Except I'm 6'6" and wouldn't fit in a 370. Looking to buy this year in that same budget. Not sure if I want to go sporty or get the 2014 Grand Cherokee. Love almost everything about it.

You're a big dude! My 5'8" self has no issue fitting into any car, lol.

Good luck to both of us, and definitely post up whatever you get when you get it =)

If you like the 370 but want something more practical then definitely try out a G37 sedan. Same engine and transmission but alot more practicality and a nicer interior as well. And while you are at it check out the 3 series BMW and the Lexus IS just to make sure you get a good comparison. I have a feeling you will really like the G37 though.

You know, I had never considered the sedan. I also like that there's an AWD model available so I'll check it out. It's being replaced by the Q50 though, right? Or is that an entirely different car? I shall do some research!

bcl0328

Keeps reading...

wait for the M4. i certainly am. more torque, lighter, more efficient, and looks so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom