• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
I'd like to see that matchup re-done, except on gravel. See who wins then.

Here's some more paint ideas for you guys to mock:

Not coloured in, but I think I'd have to do white wheels if the first 2.

All of those look like shit. Graphics on cars are garbage.

Zyzyxxz

I know this is really dumb of me, but I can't take those two seriously with their racing helmets on in those cars. I'm all for safety guys, but come on.

Um yes it is really dumb of you. I assume you have never been on a track? Helmets are required and they don't make em smaller than that for full race helmet.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If you like the 370 but want something more practical then definitely try out a G37 sedan. Same engine and transmission but alot more practicality and a nicer interior as well. And while you are at it check out the 3 series BMW and the Lexus IS just to make sure you get a good comparison. I have a feeling you will really like the G37 though.

Rented a 3 series (four door with Xdrive) this weekend and there were a lot of things to like. Handling, response, features, rear passenger space and road noise. But there were some unforgiveable fuckups that took it straight off my shopping list.

1. iDrive thingy. Clarkson is a jerk, but if anything he understates what a mess this system is. It is A DISASTER. You basically have to pull over to do anything with it and it takes five minutes to enter an address or find the fucking radio.
2. Hard surfaces from the door torturing my left leg. I am five-ten, 170 pounds, had a bruise on my outer knee after two hours of driving.
3. JUMBO STEERING WHEEL WHAT
4. Ride quality. IT IS NOT A GO KART BMW.
5. iDrive Bonus mention.

sant

I'd definitely consider an ATS-V if I was in the market for an M3/4. It's not official yet, but you know it's coming. I'd imagine they're going to shove an LT1 in there.

Stinkles

I'd definitely consider an ATS-V if I was in the market for an M3/4. It's not official yet, but you know it's coming. I'd imagine they're going to shove an LT1 in there.

I am a long time Caddy hater but the last few years are the best example of American car companies finally getting it and bluntly my experience with the CTS was far better than my good, but disappointing experience with a new 3 series. Some of that is like, reverse confirmation bias, but the feels are the feels.

Um yes it is really dumb of you. I assume you have never been on a track? Helmets are required and they don't make em smaller than that for full race helmet.

It was just their behavior. They were really boring to watch, had deadpan delivery and looked really uncomfortable. Then halfway through the video they throw on racing gear to top things off. They just looked silly and out place in the setting to me, that's all.

The BRZ/FRS is a beautiful car..

My friend has been considering one. His Accord is trying to kill itself and he's sick of repairing it, so he's been looking at getting something sportier. An older STi and a Gencoupe were on the shortlist as well I believe. Looks like Toyobaru really hit it out of the ballpark with that car.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
With two turbos from an unproven engine that is already suffering from some major problems.

Never ever buy a first year model BMW.
Are first model years really that bad? What about the recent 3 series?

I've heard this mantra applied to most autos (never buy first model years), but I actually did that with the Acura I'm driving now (which I have to sell before moving). It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Not one bit of trouble.

ascii42

I've heard this mantra applied to most autos (never buy first model years), but I actually did that with the Acura I'm driving now (which I have to sell before moving). It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Not one bit of trouble.

It kind of depends on how much is actually new. If the engine and transmission have been around for a while, then it's not as much of a gamble as if everything is new.

Sometimes first years are okay, but the later models get the added benefit of having parts that were fixed and the knowledge about what goes wrong.

If by recent you mean f30(12-??), Its too early to say one way or another. I know the old FI N54&N55 motors(In the e90(2006-2012) have a big problem with carbon build up on the valves, and the N54 had HPFP failures but they seemed to have fixed that now.

Plus M cars are supposed to be small displacement high revving engines. Turbos just feel cheap.

bcl0328

i bought the new 2012 328i the same month it came out. i got over 20,000 miles on it now. 0 problems. been a great car.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
What's more exciting? The V8 in the GT500 or the V12 in the Aventador?

Or for a more apropos comparison, Audi's V6T or their 4.2L V8?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What's more exciting? The V8 in the GT500 or the V12 in the Aventador?

Or for a more apropos comparison, Audi's V6T or their 4.2L V8?

Well...the 4.2L is poorly geared in the S5 so it feels a bit doggish. But it is motherfucking awesome in the RS5.

N-Bomb

I would just say that they're less sharp than an N/A engine, which can dull the experience.

Also, if you don't like the sound of wweeeEEEEEEE-PSSSHHH they never sound as good as their N/A counterparts.

I dunno... This is my first turbocharged car. Right now, I find it really fun, and I like that I can save some gas by keeping off the boost. That said, I need to get it re-tuned to make peak torque a bit lower in the revs (closer to 3000), because that's closer to where I rev on the highway.

Compared to the N/A engines I've owned, it's vastly more powerful, and honestly the power is just about as much on demand as those rather high-strung engines.

As to the sound. This thing is MUCH meaner and business-sounding as a 2.0 turbo than when it was a 2.2 N/A. The BPV and spool are very restrained (though I'm looking to make induction a bit louder)

coldfoot

Banned
Yeah I just can't find anything to like about the BRZ/FR-S yet. Sorry fanboys. I imagine it's fun to drive.

Also, why is like every single Acura currently produced just so awfully ugly?

I really don't know what I wanna get this Summer. Moving from a MKV GTI. $35k-ish range is what I'd like to stay in. I'm a huge fan of the 370Z, but I'm getting to a point where practicality may be a concern... starting a family soon. My gf's buying a CX-5 so we're good but I'm not sure if I wanna go sports coupe, or just straight to something roomy and convenient. I REALLY like the new Grand Cherokee, but I'm not sure I want an SUV. Damn this is gonna be a tough choice in a few months!

Chevrolet SS: Roomy, RWD, great to drive but plainly styled, Chevy brand image (only Corvette's are exempt), poor fuel economy.
Mercedes CLA: Almost a perfect step-up vehicle from the GTI, great styling, Mercedes brand image, but FWD.

N-Bomb

Speaking of turbo and the BRZ being fun to toss about, I've been re-assessing my power needs from this car, whether I really need to step up to a better turbo. I think I'd rather prefer having something that spools a lot quicker and with more low end torque.

Maybe I'll focus on some weight reduction to get that power/weight rather than on putting more power under the hood. I dunno. I mean, it's already fast and powerful enough to get me in trouble as is. Do I really need more speed? Do I really want to step up to 93 gas, and spend more on that?

Maybe I should trade in my contis for some of those Prius tires, too :p

I think I've been bitten by the BRZ/FRS bug. I had the chance to drive my friends car and I was rather interesting experience. I was not that excited by the interior at all, the faux carbon made it look really bad.

I loved how it had a real low center of gravity feel (Nice and pinned to the ground). The Car isn't fast by any stretch, but every time you get on the gas, the 50/50 weight distribution and RWD really makes you feel it.

I can't wait till it spring comes around and I can try it out on the track. He's got a few goodies waiting to be put on for the summer.

There's more to it then just people on the net. I've also dealt with the local BMW guys. Their meets were not fun at all. It was pretty much the same terrible discussions that I've read online. If the community is going to be that ridiculous, it makes it hard to want to be a part of it...

I'd much rather be a part of another community of car enthusiast...

So if you find it funny, then that's cool with me...

I gave up a 370z for that feel, and I don't regret it. I have never enjoyed driving so much.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
2014-acura-rlx-fd.jpg

EWWWWWWW

What the fuck at those bug-eye lenses. Jesus Acura.
Saw one of these in person yesterday. It actually looks a lot nicer than the outgoing RL in person *BUT* those headlights really do look pretty awful. I mean, they actually PERFORM very well but they hurt the look of the car.

It's a shame, though, as they have been improving elsewhere. The 2012 TL looks pretty nice in person and the ILX isn't bad either. I still think they all look better than the new Lexus IS.

Compared to the most recent German offerings, however, they are way behind.

The NSX concept is still beautiful, though...

reilo

18-2014-porsche-cayman-s-fd.jpg

19-2014-porsche-cayman-s-fd.jpg

Hawt. Much improved over the last gen interiors. Porsche is really stepping it up.

On my list of cars to cross-shop sometime in the future for my next car...

Audi S5, Cayman S, F-Type Coupe manual (if/whenever that comes), M3.

Anything else I'm missing that's within that segment?

Hawt. Much improved over the last gen interiors. Porsche is really stepping it up.

Anything else I'm missing that's within that segment?[/QUOTE]

I am so behind in the game of life, that a beauty like this is still out of my reach. Porsche has always been a final destination dream of mine, above Ferrari, Audi or anything really.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finally past my last license test today.

Was a huge scare, instructor got to the car and it wouldn't turn on; the battery had died from us sitting in there just playing music too long (read: I am an idiot). Got it boosted and was put on the waiting list. 15 minutes before testing ended I got my shot and passed. God damn I feel like I've been reborn or something now that I've reached this milestone in my life haha

Stinkles

Nice-u.

reilo

I am so behind in the game of life, that a beauty like this is still out of my reach. Porsche has always been a final destination dream of mine, above Ferrari, Audi or anything really.

It's out of my reach at the moment, but I'm grinding away for it not to be!

You forgot the C63 AMG.

The new Cayman is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Don't mind me, just being perfect.

MisterNoisy

Oooo.. I'm a sucker for body-color accents in the interior. Very tasty.

N-Bomb

Was a huge scare, instructor got to the car and it wouldn't turn on; the battery had died from us sitting in there just playing music too long (read: I am an idiot). Got it boosted and was put on the waiting list. 15 minutes before testing ended I got my shot and passed. God damn I feel like I've been reborn or something now that I've reached this milestone in my life haha

Congrats!

Don't like the wheels. Everything else is sweet.

I bought a 'motorbike' at lunchtime today.

What kind did you 'buy', sir?

Congratulations! Now a word of advice: When you drive like an idiot (and at some point you will), just try to keep it confined to an area where you'll only be risking your own life and not somebody else's. If you're still a teenager, just try to resist your teenager-y urges.

One of the things you start to realize in your twenties is "Oh my god how did I not kill myself when I started driving?! I was a fucking idiot!"

Good luck and enjoy!

Looking for a cheapish sedan with good gas mileage of course. Been looking into the dart, is it okay to trust dodge? Other options at around 17k?

Dart seems to be a decent choice. I haven't heard anything on reliability yet.

I am thinking about selling the EVO and picking up a C5 Z06 corvette.
Would I be insane?

Looking for a cheapish sedan with good gas mileage of course. Been looking into the dart, is it okay to trust dodge? Other options at around 17k?

Can I ask why you want to go with something new? Why not something with a few years where you can either save some money or get something with a few more amenities for the same price? You'll also be able to get a better feel for a car's expected maintenance if there's already a solid base of owners with 100k+ cars on the road.

So true. I can't believe some of the stupid shit I did when I first got my license.

Yeeeep. I always told myself I was just having fun and wasn't endangering other people, but looking back I started realizing that plenty of those turns I cut sometimes had people coming the other way. Granted, I really goofed off on roads that were mostly deserted, but it only takes one time where there's someone else on the road to end a life.

I did have the most hilarious accident one time as a result, and I'm kind of glad for it because it makes a funny story. I don't have time to write it out right now but long story short I somehow drove a dodge neon up a 60 degree rock ledge about 5' high and into a tree. The rear tires were hanging over the edge a couple of feet and when the flat-bed showed up to take the car out the driver asked "How'd you even get the car up there to back it off that ledge?" "No," my Dad said, "He drove up the ledge."

"Bullshit", said the driver.

Didn't even bend the frame. That car went on to do another 80,000 miles, 60,000 of those miles with a completely useless head gasket and a filthy brown milkshake for both oil and coolant. RIP, you tough little monster of a car.

Edit: double-postin' 4 lyf

ascii42

One of the things you start to realize in your twenties is "Oh my god how did I not kill myself when I started driving?! I was a fucking idiot!"

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I had a slow-ass '80s Cadillac for most of high school. Along with being awesome, it prevented me from wanting to do stupid shit, because what could I possibly do in that thing?

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I had a slow-ass '80s Cadillac for most of high school. Along with being awesome, it prevented me from wanting to do stupid shit, because what could I possibly do in that thing?

For $100 I bought an '80s Ford Thunderbird for the express purpose of jumping train tracks, and hitting signposts, curbs and such. Life finds a way (to do stupid shit).

Probably a good thing I never got it running. Felony vandalism is one of those things that's generally frowned upon.

Can I ask why you want to go with something new? Why not something with a few years where you can either save some money or get something with a few more amenities for the same price? You'll also be able to get a better feel for a car's expected maintenance if there's already a solid base of owners with 100k+ cars on the road.

I'm going to be doing a lot of driving over the course of the next couple years and the 5 year 100k warranty is really appealing.

reilo

These headlines are amazing...

001-2014-audi-rs-q3-1361370582.jpg

So much character in such a simple design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom