• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you on both accounts and, as such, decided to go for the BMW. Better driving experience, straight six naturally aspirated vs four banger turbo, and lower mileage (just 19,000). Plus, knowing the history of the previous owner helps.

I absolutely adore the look of the Audi, but it just isn't as solid of a ride.

I just wish the BMW were in white or something else. Black looks awesome, but it's going to be a pain in the ass to deal with. The interior is black too but hey. :\

Interior shot. That gold medallion thing is apparently a Saint Christopher trinket that people in France supposedly love to place in their cars. As this was an older retired gentleman who previously owned the car, that does make sense. He only used some double sided tape, though, so I think I'll be removing it. ;) Though, with my luck, I'll get into an accident right after doing so.

EMn.jpg

Is that the cup holder right behind the iDrive ? Seams like the cup would get in the way.

My girlfriend just got a '13 BMW 3 series and the iDrive is the only thing on that middle piece of plastic. It looks weird just sitting there all alone. Like a huge waste of space.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is that the cup holder right behind the iDrive ? Seams like the cup would get in the way.

My girlfriend just got a '13 BMW 3 series and the iDrive is the only thing on that middle piece of plastic. It looks weird just sitting there all alone. Like a huge waste of space.
It's how they modified that area for the manual transmission. It's different in the automatic.

Better than the old pop out holders, I guess.

A co-worker has one. Seems fun. Decent used ones are like 15-20k... hmmm... I assume they are reliable cuz Honda. What is the reason why people stop buying them? Is it cause it started at like 30k?

Im seeing some nice ones around 12k around here.

A 35k Honda Sports car is not something the average joe can afford.

A co-worker has one. Seems fun. Decent used ones are like 15-20k... hmmm... I assume they are reliable cuz Honda. What is the reason why people stop buying them? Is it cause it started at like 30k?

It went ten years without a looks update, and then the economy tanked. Just a gut feeling without research, but I'd imagine Honda decided to nix it instead of reinvesting in a low-volume car during a recession.

N-Bomb

With mitsubishi if you even used non OEM tires they would void the warranty on my evo 9.

Oi, that's pushing ridiculous.

Especially with some makes and models, finding a non-abused used example is very difficult as they tend to be not driven by adults, that's what I meant. S2K is not that kind of car as it's only a 2 seater. Kids buy Evos and Sti's and mod them to oblivion, that kind of car I would not buy used.

You can still find them in stock condition. Hell, the fact that these are so expensive to insure kind of puts them out of reach of the typical Honduhkid. Lots of very clean examples still on the market, but an 05 or 06 STi will still run you around $20-25k.

Thinking of picking up an s2000 as a summer toy.

Anyone else have one?

Sorry, no. Thinking of getting a little sportbike though.

It went ten years without a looks update, and then the economy tanked. Just a gut feeling without research, but I'd imagine Honda decided to nix it instead of reinvesting in a low-volume car during a recession.

It DID get a refresh in what, 04 or 05? But yeah, I'm thinking more economy. Even the Mustang's sales were cut in half in 08.

It DID get a refresh in what, 04 or 05? But yeah, I'm thinking more economy. Even the Mustang's sales were cut in half in 08.

But it looked almost exactly the same. It was never a real looker to begin with, so 6-8 years of the same wedge-shape drags on potential buyers.

Apparently the S2000's sales started dropping precipitously in '06, according to the wiki. I wonder what drove that (I can't chalk it all up to looks).

Cheeto

You can still find them in stock condition. Hell, the fact that these are so expensive to insure kind of puts them out of reach of the typical Honduhkid. Lots of very clean examples still on the market, but an 05 or 06 STi will still run you around $20-25k.

I had no such luck in my search. Plenty of "stock" cars, but I could tell that they weren't stock throughout they're entire life. Everyone, at least in my area, drives the shit out of these cars.

Flo_Evans

I'm with you on both accounts and, as such, decided to go for the BMW. Better driving experience, straight six naturally aspirated vs four banger turbo, and lower mileage (just 19,000). Plus, knowing the history of the previous owner helps.

I absolutely adore the look of the Audi, but it just isn't as solid of a ride.

I just wish the BMW were in white or something else. Black looks awesome, but it's going to be a pain in the ass to deal with. The interior is black too but hey. :\

Interior shot. That gold medallion thing is apparently a Saint Christopher trinket that people in France supposedly love to place in their cars. As this was an older retired gentleman who previously owned the car, that does make sense. He only used some double sided tape, though, so I think I'll be removing it. ;) Though, with my luck, I'll get into an accident right after doing so.

grats, I miss my BMW ;_;

oh well I still have my other BMW :)

rRdd67t.jpg

but it's really designed and manufactured by aprilia...

Yeah I feel like s2000 had a refresh but you barely can tell from a glance lol. 35k? Damn.

They do have a fanbase though. Might ask my coworker if he'd let me drive it. It probably drives decently at the very least.

N-Bomb

I had no such luck in my search. Plenty of "stock" cars, but I could tell that they weren't stock throughout they're entire life. Everyone, at least in my area, drives the shit out of these cars.

As they should be. It's not THAT expensive to refresh a worn one, though. Drop a newish engine in + labour should be under $5000.

You can also win the lottery. The very few clean examples are so expensive that it makes more sense to buy new.

Depends on what you're looking for, really. The cost is less of a concern if it's what you actively desire.

Cheeto

As they should be. It's not THAT expensive to refresh a worn one, though. Drop a newish engine in + labour should be under $5000.

Yea, I thought about that too... but all things considered, a brand new one wasn't really all that much more. And its nice having the peace of mind about issues that can pop up because of the last guy that owned something.

coldfoot

Banned
An engine is not the only thing that's worn out in a tired modded car, replacing transmission and driveline components would be way too costly.

N-Bomb

Yea, I thought about that too... but all things considered, a brand new one wasn't really all that much more. And its nice having the peace of mind about issues that can pop up because of the last guy that owned something.

This is true. I'm not sure the modern ones are as moddable though. Definitely not going to have as long an equipment lineage to draw from (15 years of the EJ engine!)

An engine is not the only thing that's worn out in a tired modded car, replacing transmission and driveline components would be way too costly.

To be fair, my entire swap - it was $9500 for the JDM engine + 6sp + rear diff + axles/hubs/etc + brembos + suspension. Labour was a bit much extra due to some unforseen difficulties, but for a straight USDM to USDM factory, I'd really expect it to be closer to half that since you have no wiring to deal with.

Cheeto

This is true. I'm not sure the modern ones are as moddable though. Definitely not going to have as long an equipment lineage to draw from (15 years of the EJ engine!)

Nah not really... 4b11 is just as good as the 4g63 was/is. Slap a bigger turbo on and tune and you make stupid power.

Thinking of picking up an s2000 as a summer toy.

Anyone else have one?

My friend owned a super charged 06' and it was quite the nimble car. It handled great on the track, as there was only a small touch of understeer (this was after all of the suspension upgrades). The powerband was the only thing I didn't like before it was FI. I'd have to be deep in the revs in order to get any real pace on the tack.

The only reason why he doesn't have it now, was that it was stolen out of his garage.

J-Rzez

With mitsubishi if you even used non OEM tires they would void the warranty on my evo 9.

I never heard that one. I have an Evo 8 that I bought new in 04, never signed any paperwork on that, was never told that, nothing. In fact that winter I put on some WS-50's. Unless you're in a different country I guess? But there are laws that stop manufacturers from pulling stunts like this, especially if you put the same diameter/width tires on it, or even if you use another properly certified synthetic oil.

On a side note, FUCK that "STI test mule" pic. If that care ends up like that, Subaru is going to be laughed at compared to the concept.

coldfoot

Banned
I'd get a used 335xi over an Evo X for similar price...At least it's less likely to be abused, and you can even get it as a 2-door.

minx

Any signs of the used car market going back to being what is was? With how often cars are being refreshed these days plus rebates, used doesn't seem like the no brainer it once was.

N-Bomb

On a side note, FUCK that "STI test mule" pic. If that care ends up like that, Subaru is going to be laughed at compared to the concept.

I actually Like the look of it. But think about it - all the non-bonkers body panels are really the easiest things to change when you're done with the camo.

I'd get a used 335xi over an Evo X for similar price...At least it's less likely to be abused, and you can even get it as a 2-door.

Yeah, but a Bimmer is definitely not as bonkers or fun as an Evo.

coldfoot

Banned
Yeah, but a Bimmer is definitely not as bonkers or fun as an Evo.
What do you mean by "bonkers"? Only something like a lambo would be "bonkers" in my book, not any 4 door car maybe except for the Aston.
About the fun part, I'm sure you're mistaken as I'm comparing it to a heavy Evo X. not older models.

335i have terrible problems with carbon buildup, cracking intake and exhaust manifolds, hpfp failures, and a host of other features.

EVO X is superior and will hold its resale value.

J-Rzez

I actually Like the look of it. But think about it - all the non-bonkers body panels are really the easiest things to change when you're done with the camo.

Well that's my hopes. But they are going a long way to cover up this car. Other test mules have panels slapped together and are camo in 100mph tape and garbage bags. This has believable configuration with a proper camo. Only thing that makes me believe this isn't the real deal is that the fenders are not wide at all, no drama, unlike even the outgoing WRX.

2014-Subaru-WRX-4%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Here's the article, in which I agree 110% with it's title if so..
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/04/2015-subaru-wrx-scooped-if-this-is-it.html

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
They look fun. Seem a bit pricy though. Whats that blinking light? Have video on mute in office.

I think the blinking light is the shift light. It's not there for fuel economy purposes... :)

There's a cheaper version called the 500 Turbo, it only has 135 horsepower compared to the Abarth's 160, and I think the differential is different, but the engine is the same.

TylerD

I think the blinking light is the shift light. It's not there for fuel economy purposes... :)

There's a cheaper version called the 500 Turbo, it only has 135 horsepower compared to the Abarth's 160, and I think the differential is different, but the engine is the same.

The Abarth has a vicious exhaust note.

J-Rzez

And that's why I want it. Clarkson said that it isn't a Lamborghini, but it sure wants to be one.

If I lived in a big city with no snow and needed a daily commuter, I'd buy one. Drove one before and it's a fun little car. Sounds like a dump truck without a muffler, kinda like the SRT-4 neon.

GAF, can't seem to decide if I want to pull the trigger on this one.

2010 infiniti G37x, 64k Miles, decent condition. It's in silver, and some jackass put an aftermarket sport bumper on the front that I'm not wild about, and "de badged" the back. (why do people do this??)

21,990 firm.

I can get one in black that looks slightly nicer with 10K less miles and no aftermarket BS for 1K less, but it's 2 hours north of here and that's a PITA.

thoughts?

coldfoot

Banned

2010 infiniti G37x, 64k Miles, decent condition. It's in silver, and some jackass put an aftermarket sport bumper on the front that I'm not wild about, and "de badged" the back. (why do people do this??)

21,990 firm.

I can get one in black that looks slightly nicer with 10K less miles and no aftermarket BS for 1K less, but it's 2 hours north of here and that's a PITA.

thoughts?

Do not get a car that's been messed with, I'd say and keep looking.

TylerD

21,990 firm.

thoughts?

I wouldn't give the modded one a second look. Might be stereotyping but if someone is modding I tend to think that it has been driven hard. The black one sounds much more promising and you should be willing to travel for a good car for the peace of mind. Ask lots of questions and for maintenance history.

Can someone explain something to me

Chevy Corvair Rear Engine Air Cooled Flat 6
Porsche 911 Rear Engine Air Cooled Flat 6

Corvair 59
911 63

So the 911 pretty much copied the Corvair, and yet the Porsche 911 was and is widely more successful.

that and the Corvair was one of the first production Turbo cars (1962), a title that people love to give to the Porsche 911 (1975)

So did Nader REALLY have that much influence? if so why havnt more people taken to the Corvair? because it doesnt have a Big Block V8?

ascii42

Can someone explain something to me

Chevy Corvair Rear Engine Air Cooled Flat 6
Porsche 911 Rear Engine Air Cooled Flat 6

Corvair 59
911 63

So the 911 pretty much copied the Corvair, and yet the Porsche 911 was and is widely more successful.

that and the Corvair was one of the first production Turbo cars (1962), a title that people love to give to the Porsche 911 (1975)

So did Nader REALLY have that much influence? if so why havnt more people taken to the Corvair? because it doesnt have a Big Block V8?

V8 was definitely part of it, just how tastes were at the time. The suspension was supposedly largely fixed in the second generation, but I guess the damage from Nader was done. And yeah, Corvair was the first turbo production car. The Oldsmobile Jetfire Turbo came out the same year, but just a little bit later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom