• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
Really? I've seen these around and actually love the way they look in person. Also, the interior quality is a huge step up (basically the same as an F30).

That seems to be the case with many cars nowadays. Ugly on pictures, not that bad live. That's the case with the BMW 1 series, the 3 series look weird as well on pictures, but looks amazing live, and the new A class.

So the 911 pretty much copied the Corvair, and yet the Porsche 911 was and is widely more successful.

What in the world? The 911 was the successor to the 356, which was in turn based off the VW Beetle (and yeah, Tatra before that). The Corvair was also marketed to a much different crowd, everyone kind of got that the 911 was a hairy European sports car.

It's nice but I don't see it beating a Boxster S, mid-engine wins every day. Maybe it will force Porsche into making a Boxster/Cayman Turbo with the V8S model.

For me, it doesn't matter because ill never afford either. Reviews seem to adore it though, and all appear to claim it slots in between the Boxster and 911. Sounds as if they've been scripted to say that...

EDIT: Review

rkn

Does auto gaf have any advice for a pleasant dealer experience?

So far, I've only bought private party, and sold private party. I've only been to a dealer once when I was looking for a motorcycle, and was a not so great experience, well not horrible, but I'm not a great negotiator, so I pretty much just said, this is what I want, which wasn't at all unreasonable, and never heard back (side note, ended up buying private party for much cheaper).

I'm looking into a cpo 3 series wagon with under 20k miles. I'd probably put ~4-5k down. I do have a trade in, 04 r32 80k miles, but I may go the private party route in selling it, but I sort of don't want to deal with that (yeah I know I'd be leaving a few thousand on the table).

So any advice, should I get an auto loan from a bank? What about negotiating, not much experience.

Cheeto

Does auto gaf have any advice for a pleasant dealer experience?

So far, I've only bought private party, and sold private party. I've only been to a dealer once when I was looking for a motorcycle, and was a not so great experience, well not horrible, but I'm not a great negotiator, so I pretty much just said, this is what I want, which wasn't at all unreasonable, and never heard back (side note, ended up buying private party for much cheaper).

I'm looking into a cpo 3 series wagon with under 20k miles. I'd probably put ~4-5k down. I do have a trade in, 04 r32 80k miles, but I may go the private party route in selling it, but I sort of don't want to deal with that (yeah I know I'd be leaving a few thousand on the table).

So any advice, should I get an auto loan from a bank? What about negotiating, not much experience.

Definitely go to a credit union and get a pre-approval from them. Almost always their rates will be better than what a dealer will offer you.

So... current plans are save like 1.5k or so a month and get something at the end/early next of the year. Ill then borrow some cash.... and probably get something around 15k. Thinking something sportsy coupe/roadster ish. hmmm... I can get a kickass 2006+ miata for that. There are ok S2k's around... but more approaching 20k. What other cars should I look at? Or should I borrow another 10 grand and get something new?

J-Rzez

didn't know WRX's started at like 25ish k. How are the non sti ones? Probably one of the faster cars at that price point?

They are a great value for performance, make more power very easily, and have a huge aftermarket support. They maybe the best value, cheaper performance-to-dollar out there to me. Different swaybars and tires make a dramatic impact on these cars. They're actually faster to 60 due to their 5-spd vs 6-spd in comparison to the STI, but the STI dominates everything else naturally.

The only thing I don't like about the Abarth is the shitty navigation solution they have in the car.

coldfoot

Banned

Lol @ the weight, a Boxster S is 2976 lbs...
w4504yL.png

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Lol @ the weight, a Boxster S is 2976 lbs...
w4504yL.png

Different, larger car, more standard options for the F-Type.

I'm curious to know what the coupe will weigh. My guess somewhere 150-250lbs lighter, which would make it so so good.

coldfoot

Banned
How is that an advantage, given they are both two seaters?
The 2976 lbs for the Boxster S includes the PDK which is the heaviest option. Any other options won't make more than 30-40 lbs difference in weight in total.
A SLK55 AMG with a folding metal roof and a V8 weighs 3583 lbs...

The 2976 lbs for the Boxster S includes the PDK which is the heaviest option. Any other options won't make more than 30-40 lbs difference in weight in total.

The car's wider than a 911, potential for more stability in the bends, though it can't weigh that much more because of it.

I honestly don't know how it's so much heavier. Would be an excellent idea if they came in with another base model without any luxuries, like those stupid pop up vents!

It's full of tasty luxury bits and pieces. That shit adds up.

That's hilarious.

Funnier the remarks say it's a stuck electronic throttle; some things don't add up in that video for that to be true.

Yeah, that's utter horseshit.

bcl0328

I'm with you on both accounts and, as such, decided to go for the BMW. Better driving experience, straight six naturally aspirated vs four banger turbo, and lower mileage (just 19,000). Plus, knowing the history of the previous owner helps.

I absolutely adore the look of the Audi, but it just isn't as solid of a ride.

I just wish the BMW were in white or something else. Black looks awesome, but it's going to be a pain in the ass to deal with. The interior is black too but hey. :\

Interior shot. That gold medallion thing is apparently a Saint Christopher trinket that people in France supposedly love to place in their cars. As this was an older retired gentleman who previously owned the car, that does make sense. He only used some double sided tape, though, so I think I'll be removing it. ;) Though, with my luck, I'll get into an accident right after doing so.

EMn.jpg

I really want a manual for my next car. I miss it but I don't at the same time. For reference, it might be the M4, and isn't the DCT better?

N-Bomb

I'm curious to know what the coupe will weigh. My guess somewhere 150-250lbs lighter, which would make it so so good.

Seriously? It has more standard options, so it's okay that it's a pig? The only 'options' that add appreciable weight are A/C, extra speakers, maybe a fridge, different transmission. There's probably a couple of dead Indians stuffed into the rear subframe by accident. >.>

A wider track won't make up for +600-700 lbs of mass.

It's a pretty car, it sounds nice, but it has to go on a MAJOR diet. Even if the coupe loses 200lbs, no amount of carbon fiber is going to bring this thing down closer to 3000lbs.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's quite a bit bigger than a Boxster. The engine is a V6, which requires a lot more rigidity and support than a Boxer engine. On top of that it's supercharged, so that's a ton of weight in additional parts alone. The trunk, interior, wheel wells, roof, and etc are also riddled with noise absorbing materials to keep unpleasant harshness and vibrations out of the car - I know my Jaguar is easily the smoothest car I've ever driven, crapping on the Audis, Lexus, BMWs, and Benzes. I also know that Jag's have some of the quietest softops in the business.

The wheels on a standard Jag are also fairly large, and not forged in base form. I'm rather certain that almost all Porsche wheels are forged wheels. The tire print is wider than that of a Boxster S. The front hood is significantly longer, thus more sheetmetal.

It all adds up. 20lbs here. 50lbs there. 80lbs there.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Why would a 3.0 V6 require more rigidity and support than a 3.4 Boxer 6?

Low gravity motors naturally do not sway side to side, they are balanced inside the engine bay. Tall V6s lean side to side, forwards and backwards a whole lot more - they simply require a lot more support to balance the car out and not overwhelm the chassis.

Forsete

Why do you AMERICANS call the PARKING BRAKE the E-brake?

/Superior European

Please, I like America! Fancy schmancy! What a cinch! Go fly a kite! Cat got your tongue! Hill of beans! Betty Boop, what a dish. Betty Grable, nice gams.

ascii42

/Superior European

Please, I like America! Fancy schmancy! What a cinch! Go fly a kite! Cat got your tongue! Hill of beans! Betty Boop, what a dish. Betty Grable, nice gams.

Probably has to do with automatics being dominant over here. Most people (here at least) don't use the parking brake in an automatic unless parked on a decent incline. I just use it when I park because I like the SCRONK noise it makes when I push the pedal down.

Thus, the parking brake is mostly for emergencies. And scronk.

Cheeto

/Superior European

Ummm.... we call the lever brake a hand brake or e-brake the pedal brake is almost always called a parking brake.

Forsete

Probably has to do with automatics being dominant over here. Most people (here at least) don't use the parking brake in an automatic unless parked on a decent incline. I just use it when I park because I like the SCRONK noise it makes when I push the pedal down.

Thus, the parking brake is mostly for emergencies. And scronk.

You always should. What it someone bumps into your car? Something will probably give in ze gearbox.

Ummm.... we can the lever brake a hand brake or e-brake the pedal brake is almost always called a parking brake.

Handbroms (hand-brake) and parkeringsbroms (parkingbrake), are the names we use. Never heard the use e-brake (nödbroms) apart from trains and busses. :p

Because it often was, and still is referred to as an emergency break.

Would the p-brake even be effective in emergencies? Does it at all use the braking servo? I dont think so.

TommyT

Would the p-brake even be effective in emergencies? Does it at all use the braking servo? I dont think so.

Although sometimes known as an emergency brake, using it in any emergency where the footbrake is still operational is likely to badly upset the brake balance of the car and vastly increase the likelihood of loss of control of the vehicle, for example by initiating a rear-wheel skid. Additionally, the stopping force provided by using the handbrake is small and would not significantly aid in stopping the vehicle. The parking brake operates mostly on the rear wheels, which have reduced traction while braking but in some cases, parking brake operates on front wheel, as done in most Citroens manufactured since the end of World War II. The hand brake is instead intended for use in case of mechanical failure where the regular footbrake is inoperable or compromised. Modern brake systems are typically very reliable and equipped with dual-circuit hydraulics and low-brake-fluid sensor systems, meaning the handbrake is rarely used to stop a moving vehicle.

From Wikipedia. I think the emergency specifically being when your footbrake fails.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

I don't recall using the word advantage. The F-Type is 4.5" wider than the Boxster. That's a lot.

I mean, hell, E46 M3 convertible? 3781lbs.

Luxury car manufacturer makes a luxury sports convertible == people complain that it weighs more than a Lotus. derp.

Was hoping someone could give me some direction regarding a car purchase. I have been driving a 98 Ford ZX2 for the past three years but I think it is time to move to something slightly newer.

If I want a manual transmission coupe at about $10,000 or so, what makes and models and MYs should I be looking at?

I drive about 50 miles a week on average and I live in Michigan.

Was hoping someone could give me some direction regarding a car purchase. I have been driving a 98 Ford ZX2 for the past three years but I think it is time to move to something slightly newer.

If I want a manual transmission coupe at about $10,000 or so, what makes and models and MYs should I be looking at?

new?

Cheeto

Besides being a coupe what else do you care about? Speed, attraction to the opposite gender, cup holders, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom