• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
03-lamborghini-aventador-j-geneva.jpg

or

Can I have one please?

Most beautiful modern lambos ever IMO.

nib95

Banned
Whilst I still want to get a new BMW 320d M Sport at some point, I have to say, a big part of me really wants a 4 series now.

236.gif

Skunkers

haha holy shit!

starting at 42k...

Every forum, car website, etc. I've seen has universally (and rightly) condemned this thing for being horrendously ugly and absurdly expensive. I believe I read it's also not hitting sales goals. No surprise there. I think, maybe.... maybe it could have been more successful if it were one or the other, but definitely not both. As stated, luxury car/Corvette money for that abomination is a sad joke. I guess Nissan was hoping to do something different and maybe start a new trend (ala how coupe-shaped sedans took off after the CLS), but that thing is a colossal pile of fail.

ascii42

Whilst I still want to get a new BMW 320d M Sport at some point, I have to say, a big part of me really wants a 4 series now.

236.gif

Yeah. Mostly I like big old American cars, and have only ever owned automatics , but I've got some weird thing for BMW's Gran Coupe line, and I've long wanted a diesel. If I combine those two with a manual transmission...I might own my first German car, my first diesel, and my first manual all at the same time.

Every forum, car website, etc. I've seen has universally (and rightly) condemned this thing for being horrendously ugly and absurdly expensive. I believe I read it's also not hitting sales goals. No surprise there. I think, maybe.... maybe it could have been more successful if it were one or the other, but definitely not both. As stated, luxury car/Corvette money for that abomination is a sad joke. I guess Nissan was hoping to do something different and maybe start a new trend (ala how coupe-shaped sedans took off after the CLS), but that thing is a colossal pile of fail.

I mean if it started at 30k, I can see it having potential sales...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It's for women whose hormones and hair are so ravaged by menopause that they can't even fit in a PT Cruiser anymore.

ascii42

Well, I can't say I entirely blame Nissan. If you're the first to enter a market, you've got it cornered by default. Hell, even Top Gear attempted to make a convertible minivan. But yeah, I'd love to see what sort of customer Nissan specifically as potential buyers for the Murano convertible.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alright, I took out these two cars this weekend and have to choose by Monday which I would prefer. I'm interested if anyone on here has any thoughts on these cars and if there is anything I should know about them to steer me one way or another.

The BMW is actually a 523i Euro using the N53 straight six engine. Considering the specs, it feels a heck of a lot stronger than I would have expected while driving with plenty of low-end torque and a pretty quick response. It's the 6-speed manual transmission as well with the "Luxe" trim (it's a French model). The car has just 32,000km (19,883 miles) on it and is a 2010 model (the first year of the F10). The owner was a retired man who had it serviced at the garage where I'd be purchasing it and traded it in when he upgraded to a 6 series Gran Coupe so I'm thinking it wasn't driven that hard.

The Audi is the 2.0 TDI model so it obviously feels very different. It had less power than the BMW but still felt ample and quick. As I've read, the ride was a bit rough but as it is the Ambition Luxe model rather than the S-Line the suspension wasn't too hard. Audi hasn't had any diesels in the US for a while, though, so I'm not familiar with the engine. It's a 2010 model which makes it the second year in which the Sportback was available (and fourth if you count the A5 Coupe or A4). Also a 6-speed manual which, I have to admit, felt way better than I expected. The Audi has 47,222km (29,204 miles) on it so a bit more than the BMW but still rather low. It only has four seat belts, though, which kind of sucks. :\

The two cars felt very different to me, however, but they both hold a lot of appeal. Both have full service records on hand, which is good, but the Audi dealer knew nothing about the previous owner so I couldn't use that information.

So I'm just bouncing around ideas until Monday when I make the decision. I really quite like both and they both fall within my budget. Cars are WAY more expensive here than the US so I can't really do much better than this.

Alright, I took out these two cars this weekend and have to choose by Monday which I would prefer. I'm interested if anyone on here has any thoughts on these cars and if there is anything I should know about them to steer me one way or another.

The BMW is actually a 523i Euro using the N53 straight six engine. Considering the specs, it feels a heck of a lot stronger than I would have expected while driving with plenty of low-end torque and a pretty quick response. It's the 6-speed manual transmission as well with the "Luxe" trim (it's a French model). The car has just 32,000km (19,883 miles) on it and is a 2010 model (the first year of the F10). The owner was a retired man who had it serviced at the garage where I'd be purchasing it and traded it in when he upgraded to a 6 series Gran Coupe so I'm thinking it wasn't driven that hard.

The Audi is the 2.0 TDI model so it obviously feels very different. It had less power than the BMW but still felt ample and quick. As I've read, the ride was a bit rough but as it is the Ambition Luxe model rather than the S-Line the suspension wasn't too hard. Audi hasn't had any diesels in the US for a while, though, so I'm not familiar with the engine. It's a 2010 model which makes it the second year in which the Sportback was available (and fourth if you count the A5 Coupe or A4). Also a 6-speed manual which, I have to admit, felt way better than I expected. The Audi has 47,222km (29,204 miles) on it so a bit more than the BMW but still rather low. It only has four seat belts, though, which kind of sucks. :\

The two cars felt very different to me, however, but they both hold a lot of appeal. Both have full service records on hand, which is good, but the Audi dealer knew nothing about the previous owner so I couldn't use that information.

So I'm just bouncing around ideas until Monday when I make the decision. I really quite like both and they both fall within my budget. Cars are WAY more expensive here than the US so I can't really do much better than this.

A rear wheel BMW 5 series with a straight six petrol engine vs. Audi A5 with front wheel drive, TDI engine and 15k KM more? That's reaaaaaaaaaaaly easy to choose.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A rear wheel BMW 5 series with a straight six petrol engine vs. Audi A5 with front wheel drive, TDI engine and 15k KM more? That's reaaaaaaaaaaaly easy to choose.

Cars are in large part an emotional purchase. Otherwise Dark would have used a spreadsheet.

The A7 is one of the most unique and beautiful large sedans ever made. The interior is perfection. Most of the things you list in the BMW's favor are objectively "better" but it's not really about objectivity. In a car this big, it's about experience - and the goes for the exterior too.

So in my opinion, it's no contest:

Amazing work of art versus boring stodgy BMW.

I've driven both.* Both are fun, but the A7 is unique and the 5 is almost bland.

*Petrol 3.0 liter A7, not the TDi.

Cars are in large part an emotional purchase. Otherwise Dark would have used a spreadsheet.

The A7 is one of the most unique and beautiful large sedans ever made. The interior is perfection. Most of the things you list in the BMW's favor are objectively "better" but it's not really about objectivity. In a car this big, it's about experience - and the goes for the exterior too.

I've driven both.* Both are fun, but the A7 is unique and the 5 is almost bland.

But dark10x is asking about 5 series vs. A5, not 5 series vs. A7. A7 is something completely else (and much better) than a A5.

dark10x

Ha ha, yeah, I 'd definitely pick an A7 over either but in Europe the price is insanely high. Much higher than in the states. Also, I really want a manual transmission and the A7 doesn't offer this (the Euro A6 does, tho).

dark10x

I've been reading up on carbon build-up in direct injection engines. How serious of an issue has this been with BMW and Audi? I'm not finding a ton of information pertaining to the N53 used in the F10.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I've been reading up on carbon build-up in direct injection engines. How serious of an issue has this been with BMW and Audi? I'm not finding a ton of information pertaining to the N53 used in the F10.
shouldn't be a problem with either one. both cars are recognized as solid and stable performers.

bcl0328

I heard if you floor it once in a while it cleans the carbon out :p

Cheeto

Bought my first brand new car last week. I have to ship it from Cali to NJ though, it goes on the truck today and I probably won't be here for another 2 weeks. It's going to be a long two weeks.

N-Bomb

Bought my first brand new car last week. I have to ship it from Cali to NJ though, it goes on the truck today and I probably won't be here for another 2 weeks. It's going to be a long two weeks.

Congrats, dude! Welcome to non-old-man-kargaf! Got any plans for it, or just leaving it stock?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Congrats!

I just got an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT.

Does anybody have experience storing kit cars?

r500a.jpg

I got to drive the real thing at Elkart Raceway. The dude brought a trailer and stores it in one of his warehouses with a tarp over it. I think he also raises it up on some cinder blocks to prevent moisture or something. Some guys share a garage with a mechanic that tends to the cars.

I got to drive the real thing at Elkart Raceway. The dude brought a trailer and stores it in one of his warehouses with a tarp over it. I think he also raises it up on some kinder blocks to prevent moisture or something. Some guys share a garage with a mechanic that tends to the cars.

Yeah, kinder blocks are good for preventing moisture; nasty blocks tend to soak that shit in just to screw with you.

Flo_Evans

I think the audi looks nicer (subjective) but the BMW is objectively a better drivers car.

I got to drive the real thing at Elkart Raceway. The dude brought a trailer and stores it in one of his warehouses with a tarp over it. I think he also raises it up on some cinder blocks to prevent moisture or something. Some guys share a garage with a mechanic that tends to the cars.

:( I don't have a warehouse! The council garages for rent are pretty naff too, poor conditions, no power points to plug a dehumidifier in or anything.

Desperately need to find a place to keep it, or I won't be buying one!

Ash_69

I know there's no correct answer but what would autogaf consider a reasonable amount of money to spend on a car in relation to your annual salary? 25%, 50%, 100%??

I appreciate things like weekly outgoings and likely maintenance costs will have a huge bearing on the type of car purchased but it would be interesting to gauge just how financially responsible or irresponsible you are when it comes to funding a passion.

I ask as I need to sooth my own conscience as I'm getting the urge to spunk more money on something I shouldn't be buying...

sfedai0

Banned
Some cars just should not be bought used, such as inexpensive sports cars...

Um, thats quite a blanket statement there. Care to elaborate? Aside from my first car being new, every car Ive bought after has been used with no issues. And yea, they've been sports cars. Im driving a used '04 S2k with no problems at all, while saving a ton of cash.

I know there's no correct answer but what would autogaf consider a reasonable amount of money to spend on a car in relation to your annual salary? 25%, 50%, 100%??

I appreciate things like weekly outgoings and likely maintenance costs will have a huge bearing on the type of car purchased but it would be interesting to gauge just how financially responsible or irresponsible you are when it comes to funding a passion.

I ask as I need to sooth my own conscience as I'm getting the urge to spunk more money on something I shouldn't be buying...

For me, I'm contemplating a relatively low spec Caterham if I can work out storage. This is about 40% of my salary. This is essentially my salary minus annual outgoings, my first year's worth of employed savings.

It's a downright stupid move but I'll likely never have the chance to do it when I'm older.

This isn't to say I'm going to spend 40% every year!

ascii42

I think 50% is the most I could justify. My Malibu was around 40% of what I was making at the time, but I knew my salary was going to increase shortly. It was like 22% of what I'm making now.

What I've got now is an account I'm putting money into every month, the money that was paying off my Malibu loan, that's going to be my car fund. My goal is to be able to use that to pay off my next car in cash, or at least make a healthy downpayment. It'll be a while until it adds up to anything significant, but the longer I hold onto my Malibu, the better car I can get next time.

They selected by class, and only selected from cars/trucks introduced this year.

I'd say only the Cadillac and Lexus interiors are actually good, but when you keep the above in mind, it seems like a reasonable list to me.

N-Bomb

Yeah, kinder blocks are good for preventing moisture; nasty blocks tend to soak that shit in just to screw with you.

I keep my mom's old comic books on cinder blocks to prevent moisture.

Made sure my ex never got anywhere NEAR those things. #Disaster

what can you do to a new car without breaking warranty?

It really depends on the manufacturer. Tuning the ECU is generally out, cutting anything, replacing drivetrain or in/exh components. You might get away with a catback and/or intake. Suspension is probably no. No messing with electrics.

Some cars just should not be bought used, such as inexpensive sports cars...

How else will you get them?

coldfoot

Banned
Um, thats quite a blanket statement there. Care to elaborate? Aside from my first car being new, every car Ive bought after has been used with no issues. And yea, they've been sports cars. Im driving a used '04 S2k with no problems at all, while saving a ton of cash.
Especially with some makes and models, finding a non-abused used example is very difficult as they tend to be not driven by adults, that's what I meant. S2K is not that kind of car as it's only a 2 seater. Kids buy Evos and Sti's and mod them to oblivion, that kind of car I would not buy used.

dark10x

I think the audi looks nicer (subjective) but the BMW is objectively a better drivers car.
I'm with you on both accounts and, as such, decided to go for the BMW. Better driving experience, straight six naturally aspirated vs four banger turbo, and lower mileage (just 19,000). Plus, knowing the history of the previous owner helps.

I absolutely adore the look of the Audi, but it just isn't as solid of a ride.

I just wish the BMW were in white or something else. Black looks awesome, but it's going to be a pain in the ass to deal with. The interior is black too but hey. :\

Interior shot. That gold medallion thing is apparently a Saint Christopher trinket that people in France supposedly love to place in their cars. As this was an older retired gentleman who previously owned the car, that does make sense. He only used some double sided tape, though, so I think I'll be removing it. ;) Though, with my luck, I'll get into an accident right after doing so.

EMn.jpg

It really depends on the manufacturer. Tuning the ECU is generally out, cutting anything, replacing drivetrain or in/exh components. You might get away with a catback and/or intake. Suspension is probably no. No messing with electrics.

With mitsubishi if you even used non OEM tires they would void the warranty on my evo 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom